Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BUYER BEWARE!!!  (Read 5388 times)

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
BUYER BEWARE!!!
« on: July 22, 2002, 04:14:50 pm »
okay this happend to anyone?

i call happ to place an order.i ordered 19" monitor bezel and marque retainer.i told the guy to ship it COD.now they slaped a shiping sticker for $37 totol.so if i take out $5 for the COD charge then i am paying 32$ for shiping..they really charge shiping like this or they dont like me? ???

i will likely still get the money order for this but just wondring if the shiping is really that much???

MAN!!! i have no money to pay $69 total for just a monitor bezel and marque retainer.

JustMichael

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2015, 01:19:40 am
  • Mmmmm!! Cheesecake!!
Re:BUYER BEWARE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 06:09:01 pm »
Did you ask about shipping before you told them to ship it out?  Also how is it being shipped and via what company?  Next Day does cost more than Ground.  Whatever shipping company also has to collect the money from you so I am sure the shipping company charges more for the COD service.

If you ordered the "Retainer for Video Game Marquee" (#49-1000-00), do you do know that is 10ft. long right?  On the Happ's site it says it is made of black rigid pvc.  They may not be able to bend it much if at all.  This would make for a huge (if they could bend it into a coil) or a very long box (if they couldn't).  Sure it doesn't weigh much but I am sure the shipping & handling on a 10ft long box would be much more because it is 10ft long than the couple of pounds it weighs.

Now a few words of advise:
Know what you are buying.
Know how much it will cost to get it shipped.
Use a credit card.  Then if it doesn't arrive or comes damaged and the company refuses to make good, contest the charges.  This also avoids a "COD charge".

WAREZ4LiFE

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 06:19:08 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, this is what happened to me when I ordered from Happs. I had a total of 3 packages which cost around 40$ to ship. But since I live in Canada I had them ship it HERE instead of shipping to my US post box. So on top of the $40 USD, I had to pay $190 CAN (around $130 USD)for brokerage fee!! The whole shipping cost ended up costing as much as my order did! :( That sucked

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 06:52:12 pm »
Shipping costs made a pain to me, too. Happ UK -> Germany ended up with a total of $790 for a Wells Gardner U3100 19".
Wasn't it somehting like ~$439 over there in the US? A real killer!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 08:28:40 pm »
MAN MAN MAN!!!

everyones getting riped by happ.they refused to tell me how much the shiping was.they dont know before they actually ship it.i asked them to ship it cheapest but the moron at happ probley sent it overnight.i order friday and i had the guy coming over here already.anyways...this is to everyone,NEVER EVER order anything from happcontrols.com

i am still in shock on that $40 shiping. :o

x-wing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2003, 10:40:37 pm
  • I Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2002, 09:33:53 pm »
Nah... you screwed something up.  Probably the COD thing.

I've ordered from Happ many times (Bob Roberts and Video Connection don't carry everything, ya know).  I'm a couple of states away from their warehouse, and my normal shipping charges from them using UPS has been anywhere between $6 and $10.  The $10 charge was for a 27" monitor bezel.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2002, 10:50:21 pm »
no idea man!!!

cod is only $5 more..thats about it...probley the marque thing..its like 10 feet long..who knows..total waste of money i guess..

x-wing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2003, 10:40:37 pm
  • I Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 12:34:39 am »
I wouldn't buy that crap marquee retainer from Happ.  I use 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/16" thick aluminum angle that you can pick up at Home Depot or other hardware supply.  It's about $2.00 for a 3' stick, and you just cut and drill as required to fit your cab, just like you would do w/ the plastic Happ stuff.  The only difference is you have to spray paint it black yourself.  The aluminum angle looks a lot more professional than the plastic stuff, too.  You don't have to spend $30 to get it shipped to you either, if you are within a reasonable distance to a decent hardware store.

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 02:14:50 am »
I just bought a 12 lb, 2 package, order from Happs, UPS ground (residential) at a shipping cost of $14.58.  That's a cent less than the going online rate for companies with daily pickup.

Online quote as of July 22, 2002:
PACKAGE INFORMATION
PACKAGE 1 PACKAGE 2
Weight:   11 lbs. Weight:   1 lbs.
Dimensions:   12x14x8 in. Dimensions:   6x6x4 in.

Origin:     60007, US
Destination:   94530, US
Drop-off/Pickup:   Daily Pickup Service
Address Type:   Residential
Packaging:   Your Packaging
Currency:   USD

UPS Ground
Total Rate (USD) 9.45* (package 1)   5.14* (package 2)
(total $14.59)

Things that increase prices: residential deliveries ($1-2), COD ($6), large objects.

I bet happs is just charging what they have to pay.  UPS has some wierd rules on large objects.  One rule is that you cannot ship them by ground!  I don't understand that one.  Another is that oversize (grade one) is charged as if it was 30 lbs, and oversize (grade two) is 70 lbs!  http://www.ups.com/using/services/packaging/oversize-guide.html

They should have warned you of this, but you should be aware that shipping big objects cost a lot more that normal objects.

One way to check if the company is overcharging shipping is to look at the shipping label when you get the product.  Also, goto UPS.com and check out how much it would cost to ship your package (you need: from and to zip codes, weight & size of package) with daily pickup (the cheapest)
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Yarb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2019, 01:18:30 pm
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2002, 12:22:53 am »
I just received a Happ order today and the shipping was quite reasonable, about $5 for a super joystick and 10 buttons

Mike

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2002, 12:35:12 pm »
Doesn't happs have a minimum order $ amount?  If you don't meet that requirement, then another charge is added (maybe this is what happened to Snake?).

-Dave

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2002, 02:47:26 pm »
dave,
nah man..the minimum was like 25$ which i already knew..it met but something else went wrong.the guy at happ was an A$$HOLE...dont mean to be rude but i know what happend,he sent it second day even though i told him "ship is cheapest possible".i got the ups guy coming over my house like the 3 rd day.so they shiped it next day and shiping came out like $30 something....anyways i dont really care because the monitor bezel is worth it..i was killing myself over making the bezel myself.

anyone trying to make bezel>>>good luck making one yourself...i say BUY IT...at whatever happ is selling for..it makes the cabinet look 110% times better. :o

wescotte

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 01:16:15 am
  • I'm a llama! I didn't want to change it
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2002, 06:01:53 am »
Hmm strange.. I ordered 4 joysticks and a bunch of buttons from happs. They shipped it UPS and didn't charge me anything for shipping.
wierd (And it got here in 1 buisness day after the order!)
I live about 2 hours away from the warehouse it looks like though

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2002, 02:07:02 pm »
cod is only $5 more..thats about it...probley the marque thing..its like 10 feet long..who knows..total waste of money i guess..
I agree... I used a piece of plastic moulding for my marquee retainer.  It only came in white, so I had to spray-paint it black, but it looks great and cost all of $3.00 at Home Depot.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2002, 09:07:31 pm »
It's costing me US$29.15 to get two optical rotarys shipped to Australia and this is through federal express economy.  I had 2 joysticks, ipac4 and optipac sent to me for US$17.  Happs wouldn't give me a quote for shipping so I just decided to bite the bullet and order them.  Happs don't make any effort to find the best shipping.  It seemed on the order page that the federal express economy - international was the only option for international orders.  None of the other options mentioned international.  Oh well just another cost to add to the total. :'(

Cheers
-cdbrown

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2002, 03:13:28 am »
Things that increase prices: residential deliveries ($1-2), COD ($6), large objects.

nod nod on th large objects.
I had to send an air filter box from my motorcycle to someone.  Super light.  BUT because of the size of the box I got charged for twice the weight.  Thikn about it, not only does price depend on weight, but size.  Say you shipped something that was 5lbs but in a 10 foot by 10 foot box.  That takes up ALOT of volume that most other 5lb packages UPS could be shipping and making money off of.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2002, 04:02:53 am »
I dont care anymore :D.

I have everything I wanted to screw happs. :-*