Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

1   Main Forum / Re: arcade front endon Today at 01:33:28 pm

Started by jteexy - Last post by Fursphere

I'm using LaunchBox (in BigBox mode) for my stand up cabinets as well as on my Daytona Twin driving cab.

2   Main Forum / Re: just wonderingon Today at 01:32:40 pm

Started by daywane - Last post by Fursphere

Graduated High School 1979.

I'm happy to see some folks who are in the same ballpark.  :)

I was born in '79 :)

3   Main Forum / Re: just wonderingon Today at 01:24:22 pm

Started by daywane - Last post by yotsuya

You kids today :)

High school class of ‘81 baby!  Now get off my lawn :)
TTC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Damn son, I was 8 in ‘81!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4   Everything Else / Re: So ... 3d Printers....on Today at 12:45:00 pm

Started by Howard_Casto - Last post by RandyT

Thanks, that web print is as per the mesh that I designed:

I considered that they might be fully modeled, but my brain recoiled at the possibility. It does look nicely organic!

i build wiff squars and sirkuls an stuff in tinkercad.

real cad is 2 hard

I was fortunate enough to be exposed to parametric modeling at my last 9 to 5 (over 20 years ago...oof) and it was a slog.  When it was being explained to me and while watching someone use it, I could literally feel my synapses re-routing and it was painful.  But one day, as if by some sort of biological sorcery, it just "clicked" and it was downhill from there.  Those learning curves can sometimes feel like a straight vertical line, but they are surmountable.  The tools have also become quite a bit better since then.

That stated, you might want to take a look at Plasticity.  It's CAD, but meant for those who might feel more at home using something like Blender or those who like modifying primitives (squars and sirkuls an stuff..lol.)  There's still a learning curve that my brain rejects due to the parametric modeling programming I received, but it looks very capable in the hands of someone more accustomed to more artistic ways of designing things.

But on the free side for local installs, there are basically only a couple of decent options: FreeCAD (and it's forks) and Blender.  FreeCAD has it's own ways of doing things, which parametric modelers who are already trained seem to despise, but if you are going in cold, there's no reason not to learn it.  Blender, as you probably know, is an insanely capable beast and there is a plugin in the works for doing CAD functions within it.  With all that capability, the learning curve is particularly steep. It's a 3D modeling application, so there is a ton of stuff not particularly aimed at functional design work.  So unless your interest is in the artistic over the functional or you already have experience in that realm, I wouldn't recommend that direction to someone who just wants to design their own parts.

5   Woodworking / Re: How many buttons and why?on Today at 12:27:35 pm

Started by jteexy - Last post by PL1

6   Main Forum / Re: thin client pcon Today at 12:05:05 pm

Started by daywane - Last post by javeryh

$32 for that is insane. I'm curious to see how it works once you've tested it.

7   Everything Else / Re: So ... 3d Printers....on Today at 11:51:50 am

Started by Howard_Casto - Last post by lilshawn

i build wiff squars and sirkuls an stuff in tinkercad.

real cad is 2 hard

8   Woodworking / How many buttons and why?on Today at 11:38:59 am

Started by jteexy - Last post by jteexy

How many buttons and why on control panel layout

I have seen folks build control panels with 6 or 7 per person and one that I saw described as "look's like a bag of skittles got poured on there".

So clue a fellow in

9   Main Forum / arcade front endon Today at 11:15:50 am

Started by jteexy - Last post by jteexy

Hey guys, it’s been a while. So what arcade front ends are people using these days? I need to rehab a driving cab I built which got some water damage from construction

10   Main Forum / Re: just wonderingon Today at 10:28:26 am

Started by daywane - Last post by daywane

You kids today :)

High school class of ‘81 baby!  Now get off my lawn :)
TTC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
in the navy 1982-1986
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10