Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New thread... Post "finished" designs here....  (Read 81858 times)

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
Re:New thread... Post "finished" designs here....
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2003, 06:29:48 pm »
IMO I think that Pixelhugger's design(s) are the best ones.  He has several different designs and looks like he could easily come up with other variations very easily.  

I think that it would look very good to have a black t-shirt with the Lightbulb design on the front/center of chest (except loose all the words underneath BYOAC) and then on the back, have the third design as big as it can be.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2003, 01:50:33 am »
Here's another submission.

PHeww !
*Snake whisles*  :D
Very nice...I like this one best !

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2003, 07:28:19 am »
i think Pixelhuggers designs are decent...the colors are the best part. i think if he can make some more modifications of those we might get something.

keep it up pixelhugger man.

I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2003, 01:51:08 pm »
I don't mind Pixelhuggers "joystick icon" design, but i think of the three the bottom is by far the best.  There's just something about the joystick that really bothers me.  It doesn't look like the perspective is correct.

But i still like Frostillicus' original design best.  :)

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 01:46:05 am
  • Time to coin up!
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2003, 02:37:40 pm »
There's alot of awesome art in here, makes it WAYYY too hard to pick...

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2003, 02:47:56 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most, unless we do some sort of expensive printing.  So graphics that are simple with as few colors as possible without gradients and fancy stuff like that are going to look the best on a t-shirt (compared to what it looks like on a computer monitor).  This is why I really like Pixelhuggers designs.  They are simple, they don't have too many colors, and the final product is going to look exactly like it does on the computer screen.  Out of all the designs here, his design actually is quite open to several variations as he has shown. And they all look cool.  He has the right idea.

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2003, 02:53:06 pm »
Thanks for the cue, Cue  ;D - I think I know what your talking about, and I agree. The original joystick artwork I created was solid (not "pixelated" or icon-like) and had an exagerated perspective, especially along the front lower edge. In translating this to the block art and cropping the lower front corner, I think I missed a couple of pixels blocks which made the exagerated perspective go a bit wonky. Does either of these help? The one on the left adds the missing pixels, the one on the right adds the pixels and removes some of the exagerated perspective.
Project mega thread HERE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2003, 03:08:23 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most,

Jak man I wish you would get off this kick.  Now I can't talk for saint, but from teh conversations I've had with him so far it will most likely NOT be screen printed.  Also he agreed with me in the idea to get it printed based upon what suits the best design, not the other way around.  :)

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2003, 05:16:54 pm »
I think choosing the design will also depend on where it's going to go.

i.e. Just a small shirt-pocket type design vs. a huge back-of-the-tee design.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2003, 07:32:56 pm »
Yeah a lot of designs are really good, but I think that in order to help narrow down the decision of which one is best, I think you have to consider that the logo is going to be on a t-shirt...not a computer screen.  This means that it's going to get knocked down to probably 5-7 colors at the most,

Jak man I wish you would get off this kick.  Now I can't talk for saint, but from teh conversations I've had with him so far it will most likely NOT be screen printed.  Also he agreed with me in the idea to get it printed based upon what suits the best design, not the other way around.  :)

Well I certainly hope they are not planning on going with some sort of iron-on graphics or something.  Take a look at the other thread regarding places to get things printed.  Most of the best ones on there are screen printing ones.  If you are aware of some other non-screen printing place that we can get a good deal at please share :)

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2003, 08:52:11 pm »
Thanks for the cue, Cue  ;D - I think I know what your talking about, and I agree. The original joystick artwork I created was solid (not "pixelated" or icon-like) and had an exagerated perspective, especially along the front lower edge. In translating this to the block art and cropping the lower front corner, I think I missed a couple of pixels blocks which made the exagerated perspective go a bit wonky. Does either of these help? The one on the left adds the missing pixels, the one on the right adds the pixels and removes some of the exagerated perspective.

It still doesn't quite look right.  The perspective is just too exaggerated.  The fact that the "rear" of the stick and the "front" of the stick don't match up just looks odd to my eyes.  I think my brain expects something to be there.  I think this much of a perspective shift would look okay on a building or something, but for something as small as a joystick my mind expects it to be proportionate.

Here's a copy of your pic that i quickly (and sloppily) touched up to illustrate what i mean:

Or you could go the other way and make it more horizontal, but either way i think the front and back edges need to be a sort of mirror image of each other in order to make it look right.  This is just my $0.02 cents though, and in no way is meant to berate your work.  

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2003, 02:05:57 am »
No beratement taken  ;)  Actually your touch up illustrates your point very well. I do think a bit more horizontal perspective would look good, but given this scale and the number of blocks to work with there's something really nice about the eveness of what you did, and you're right-seeing your example, the horizontal and vertical dimensions should clearly be mirror images. Guess I was holding too close to the stylized original to see how off kilter it was becoming. Thanks for the input! If there's more interest in the design I'll make those changes accordingly.
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2003, 12:39:01 pm »
I also think a more horizontal look would be better.  It's just that it was easier to show what i was talking about to do it the way i did.  Since you have source material to work with, and since you can seem to whip out these designs really quickly, i'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem for you to fix the perspective but still keep the original "style" of the design.

I guess since i'm already making a post i might as well add this:
I think the "Build your own or go broke tryin" slogan that was submitted (sorry, can't remember who it was and can't see their post as i type this) is pure genius.  I, for one, can definitely relate.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2003, 01:23:19 pm »
Me too, I think my CP cost me close to $400.  :-[

And worth every dime!
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2003, 01:46:58 pm »
Okay, i have a question about the whole T-shirt deal....

Are we trying to come up with a single image that is going to represent ArcadeControls.com or are we just trying to come up with an image that looks good on a T-shirt and who's proceeds will help fund the site?  I think that these are two very different goals and require very different approaches.  

If this is going to be a "logo" of sorts for the site, then it really needs to focus on the controls and/or cabinet themselves and not necessarily the games.

If the goal is to produce a T-shirt which will sell well and which BYOACers will be proud to wear, then the criteria could be quite different.  For instance, Pixelhuggers "pixelated alien" design (on a thread in the "Everything Else" forum, i think) has nothing to do with arcade controls but has garnered a lot of interest and uses an image directly associated with arcade gaming.

I guess what i'm getting at is this: If we're trying to make a logo for the site then people will be more restricted to what they can design and we'll have to settle for ONE design.  If we're trying to make some T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc then there's no real reason not to offer 2, 3 or even more designs.  Some people will want the white "Player one" design on blue.  Some will want Frostillcus' design on black.  Some may want the blue "pixelated invader" on a coffee mug, whatever.  If we're just interested in merchandise then we can easily offer up several different designs for people to choose from (which i think would be the best thing to do).

Perhaps we should be trying to make one "official" logo and then come up with other ideas for additional t-shirts and such.  What do you guys think?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2003, 02:15:44 pm »
I think I want a hat too. :P
Project mega thread HERE

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2003, 03:40:35 pm »
How about BYOAC-themed underroos?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2003, 05:55:13 pm by BASSOFeeSH »

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2003, 03:50:17 pm »
I prefer to keep my "joystick" on the inside of my underwear, thanks.  ;D

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2003, 04:03:57 pm »
Why not a BYOAC store? I mean as long as we have enough orders to cover the cost of production, it seems like there's no reason not to print/make/design whatever enough people are interested in buying. Couldn't hurt funding the site...

And I really do want a baseball hat. I figure we could have a logo embroidered on hats for a total cost per order (finished hat) of under $10 with as few as 18 orders. Or make that 16 'cause I'd buy 2.
Project mega thread HERE

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2003, 04:35:33 pm »
That was kinda the same thing i was thinking.  We could have 3-5 really good, high quality designs and then people could get them on whatever they want (t-shirt, long sleeve, hooded sweatshirt, mug, sticker, whatever).  The biggest hurdle that i see is that there are very few places where you can get all of this kind of stuff made without buying a ton of it up front.  Cafepress can do most of this, but nobody seems to be very fond of them (limited color selection, so-so quality).  The only other way i can think of would be to make a poll with several finished designs and the items that they would possibly go on (maybe one poll with logos and another with items?).  Then see what people are interested in and go from there.  

No matter the decision, i'd love to see a shirt available that's either a ring tee or one of the 3/4 sleeve old-school t-shirts.

Where are you getting your figure for $10 hats with a minimum of 18?  What kind of hats?  What kind of printing?  Etc.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Project mega thread HERE

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2003, 06:23:38 pm
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2003, 06:04:06 am »

G'day all! (I just rode into town on my Kangaroo, I swear.) How we doin'? This is my effort. I haven't included a bi-line or any additional slogans yet, but I figured it was finished enough to post. Me thinks it would work in any combination of colours. Maybe not purple... it's hard for a pasty white guy to look good in a bright purple t-shirt! Oh yeah, the 'O' is a stylised cabinet type thang. I'm gonna make up one of these puppies for myself regardless. It's obviously not going to be everybody's cup of tea... it's tough finding a design that pleases one client let alone a whole forum full! With that said, there's no harm in trying. My vote's with 'Build your own or go broke tryin'. Gold. BL.

- 'THEY JUMP LIKE EXCITEBIKE'
- 'I DROP MORE LINES THAN A TETRIS'
- 'WITH THE "WAX ON, WAX OFF" I'LL PLAY YOU LIKE ZAXXON'

> Quotes from Ugly Duckling's Andy Cat & Dizzy Dustin.
> Taken from 'Little Samba' & 'Friday Night' which appear on 'Journey To Anywhere' (XL Recordings).

> OBSCURE ARCADE REFERENCES OVER DOPE BEATS. GOTTA LOVE IT.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 12:19:12 pm by ButeLegz »

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2003, 01:01:20 pm »

Just a variation. Not sure if the display is too game specific... that could easily be a no-name space invader-esque character or just a nice nest of pixels. I dig the colours of the large logo... although I do believe hot pink is the new black. I not sure if the production of these suckers has been sorted yet, but as far as front & back goes I love the website across the back shoulders look. I remember the first time I saw a web address printed on a t-shirt it was done this way and I've been down with it ever since. If cost is an issue, and it usually is, front only makes me more than happy too. BL.

> Taken from 'Little Samba' & 'Friday Night' which appear on 'Journey To Anywhere' (XL Recordings).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2003, 02:10:05 pm by ButeLegz »

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2003, 04:18:01 pm »
Butelegz,

Some helpful criticizm if thats okay:

I don't think that anyone is going to look at that 'O' and see that it's an arcade cabinet.  You even had to tell us that it was a cabinet.

And having the joystick and buttons in there didn't make it easier either.  I don't think that 90% of everyone is going to look at those little circles and figure out that they are buttons and a joystick looking at it from a birds-eye view.

Nice try though. Overall I like the retro look of it.

I'm still sticking with Pixelhugger's designs though.

ButeLegz

• Offline Offline
  • Feldman knows best.
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2003, 08:50:11 pm »
Cheers. I agree the cabinet is a little obscure but that's quite a deliberate decision. I guess am just used to avoiding being overly literal when it comes to logos. Kinda like how McDonalds or Nike don't have shoes & burgers in the golden arches or swoosh. Corporations tend to avoid actual products featuring highly because it narrows their appeal to one aspect of the company, rather than leaving it open to interpretation. There are exceptions of course (Burger King), and the fact the BYOAC is not a corporation... yet! Thanks again for the feedback. BL.

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2003, 07:25:26 pm »
Looks like we're nearing the deadlilne for ideas. :-\ Thought I'd post the blue invader design that's been living in the Generation Gap thread. I'm guessing most people will find it too game specific (and not control oriented enough) as well as too copyright forbidden to use for the official shirt, but I thought I'd post it here for the helluvit... especially to see if there's any interest in Cue Ball's idea of multiple products. FWIW a few of us are thinking of doing a very small run of these. This would be a VERY limited quantity 8) so if anyone is interested in being included in a possible order let me know. No guarantees it'll happen tho.

The quote is from Legomancer and can be found in its entirety here:

http://www.anti-social.co.uk/unhappy.shtml            

Obviously, he'd be contacted regarding the use of the quote if possible (although I think you can quote without permission as long as you don't misquote/misrepresent and do give credit. So the back design would have to be tweaked accordingly).
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2003, 07:46:51 pm »
And a final more traditional design. This one has a retro-scientific feel kinda like an old NASA mission logo. Probably of less broad appeal, I know... tho I do like how it looks so bureaucratic. ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2003, 11:55:29 pm »
Pixel and brute, your two latest ideas won't work because there are copyright issues, eg you can't mention games or game characters as they are very much copyrighted, ESPECIALLY space invaders.  

I like the ideas for the record though.  

Zapper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2006, 10:26:01 pm
  • The enemy's gate is down
« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2003, 04:35:14 am »
Here's my design :)

"Three warps to the Bugger homeworld"

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2003, 11:37:05 am »
too bad that "space invader" t-shirt has copyright....

I'm interested in getting if its for sale....  ;) ;D

also... too many good designs here already....
damm.... I think I'll need to buy a few.....

haaa haa haa.... love this site.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Rahzel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 07:45:11 pm
  • MAME4LiFE
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2003, 06:51:25 am »
I put a lot of thought and work into it

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2003, 01:01:27 pm »
...and apparently alot of gold jewelry too

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2003, 01:57:25 pm »
Zapper- I like that blueprint-like bar across the bottom, and the Insert Coin graphic is great too.  :D
Project mega thread HERE

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2003, 09:44:25 am »
Looking good, everyone, who submitted so far - some good stuff all around this thread :)

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2003, 12:52:01 am »
Here's a blue version of my design. If it's too complicated for T-shirt printing I could always simplify it, sorry I'm hooked on gradations. Great designs Pixelhugger! :)

CitznFish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2023, 12:36:44 pm
  • www.subvertcity.com - Prof. Strength Slackwear
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2003, 02:07:15 am »
Zapper, how would it look if the Insert Coin was touching the 'C'?  Maybe like an additional letter?

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2003, 06:45:02 pm »
Thanks, Zapper. :) Great design yourself. I really like the blue revision you just posted. Would look great on black - even tho I usually prefer white. I just really like the blueprint feel.

Saaaaaay, you wouldn't happen to be John McKechnie would you?  ???
Project mega thread HERE

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2003, 11:10:13 pm »
Good idea Citzn, I'll look into a connected coin button version.

Where did you dig that info up from Pixel, you're not a cyber stalker are you?  :o

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2003, 03:28:54 am »
Well if by stalker you mean I frequently spent valuable company time at the direct expense of corporate America lurking about his Sommycade site gathering info and inspiration for my control panel project then, yeah, I guess so.  ;D

Actually, it's just that McKechnie's Robotron 3000 project and Sommycade site were what got me into all this a while ago. That was years back when it was really rare to see someone build something *better* than the arcade.  His control panel is still my favorite example after the hundreds I've seen. The artwork just blew me away and convinced me a graphically well designed project could be arcade perfect. I thought his name was Zapper, so putting 2 and 2 together....figured I'd ask. Ironic too, since he did such good design work  :P

On the other hand, if he really IS you and I've accidentally blown your cover, I truly am sorry and hope you're not in the witness protection program or anything. Now get that Sommycade site back up! ::)
Project mega thread HERE

Zapper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2003, 07:03:11 pm »
Thanks Pixel! Sommycade was my site, I'll revive it as Zappercade sometime this summer.  :)  A few years back I was inspired to make the Robotron control panel after seeing cool projects like the Roswell 88201 cabinet.