Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Critique my DoT style CP overlay  (Read 5043 times)

Cue-Ball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2006, 07:43:02 pm
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
Critique my DoT style CP overlay
« on: April 21, 2003, 01:41:08 am »
I think i'm finally just about done creating the graphic for my control panel overlay.  I'm trying to make my machine have the feel of a Discs of Tron machine so my custom marquee and CP are both designed in a similar style to DoT (though my cabinet looks nothing like the real machine).  I'm about to get this bad boy printed up and mounted on my control panel and thought i'd ask for input beforehand.  I'm fairly happy with the results, but am always looking to improve the design.  I tried to get the feeling of Tron without cluttering up the CP too much (hard to do considering everything that's on there...).  The layout of the buttons/sticks is final and can NOT be changed (i already cut my wood and am happy with this layout).  I'm looking for input on the graphics themselves.

The colored circles represent buttons and joysticks.  The big blue circle in the center is my lighted blue trackball.  The black circles are joysticks (except the "A B C" and "credit" ones).  The large white circle is a spinner.  The larger blue circle in the upper right is a blue Raider Pro for Tron.  The red circles are mouse buttons and double as P1 buttons 1 & 2 in Mame.

If the pic above isn't working go to the following address and scroll to the bottom:
http://grantsgamegrid.freeservers.com/photo.html

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
Re:Critique my DoT style CP overlay
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 02:08:53 am »
Looks great, I wouldn't change a thing.

-Ace-
I want my own arcade controls!

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 03:06:56 am »
Looks pretty good, definitely discs of tron look to it. You'll want to make sure its on something glossy, else its gonna look SUPER flat, but it looks good.  I'd say Make Sure!!!  the 6 button layout is perfect, cause they look like they're too far apart vertically, and your fingers will thank you for putting the buttons as close together as you can.  Plus I'm sure your game of Marvel vs Capcom will go much smoother when you're button mashing all the punch buttons for Ryu's hadoken.
     -Luke

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 09:31:50 am »
yeah looks pretty good!  I just had my overlays printed a few weeks ago at kinko's - I had them print on regular matte and laminate.  The laminate protects from UV AND looks much much better than glossy paper.  And it's cheaper.  Then I put it under lexan.  the whole thing looks awesome.  That's my printing recommendation.  

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 01:17:32 pm »
Thanks for the comments, guys.  I thought it looked pretty good, but wanted to get some other opinions.  I actually tried to get a "glow effect" on the artwork, but couldn't come up with anything i was happy with.

I was planning to print on 20lb bond and then cover the artwork with matte laminate (which would then be covered by a clear lexan-type material).  I've already got the lexan cut to go over the artwork (it's not really lexan, but is similar enough).  The laminate should keep the artwork from fading and the matte finish should prevent the "wet look" that some people have gotten when putting arwork under lexan.  The artwork itself will still look glossy though, since it will be covered with high gloss lexan.

I actually tried to print the thing once already but the local Kinko's are a bunch of idiots.  I went down to the closest Kinko's on Easter Sunday and the people there didn't know how to use the laminator (clueless weekend crew, i guess).  They sent me over to the next closest Kinko's and they don't offer matte laminate.  Which was surprising since it was about twice the size of the first store and open 24 hours.  They told me that the only local Kinko's that has matte laminate was the store i went to in the first place!.  Arrrrrghhhhh!  I figured that fate wanted me to postpone my printing for a few days for some reason.  Figured i might as well take that time to get some input. :)

Cthulhuluke: The buttons are actually closer than they appear here.  My overlay doesn't actually have those colored circles on it.  I just quickly drew in some buttons so that people could tell what goes where.  They're not positioned exactly perfectly or to scale.  I was in a hurry. :)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 02:12:14 pm »
Thanks for the comments, guys.  I thought it looked pretty good, but wanted to get some other opinions.  I actually tried to get a "glow effect" on the artwork, but couldn't come up with anything i was happy with.

I was planning to print on 20lb bond and then cover the artwork with matte laminate (which would then be covered by a clear lexan-type material).  I've already got the lexan cut to go over the artwork (it's not really lexan, but is similar enough).  The laminate should keep the artwork from fading and the matte finish should prevent the "wet look" that some people have gotten when putting arwork under lexan.  The artwork itself will still look glossy though, since it will be covered with high gloss lexan.

Have you tried the regular (glossy) laminate yet? I guarantee better results using that than matte finish.  I don't have any 'wet-look' with mine, and like I said I used glossy laminate under lexan.  

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 03:39:10 pm »
I would prefer not to use the glossy laminate because of possible problems with the laminate "sticking" to the lexan.  Using glossy laminate isn't necessary for a glossy finish since the lexan is what gives the CP it's gloss anyway.  Just like automotive paint.  The paint itself isn't that shiny.  Once you lay down the clear coat and buff it, then it becomes shiny.

Since the glossy laminate has drawbacks, but no benefits, i will not use it.  The matte laminate has benefits without any of the drawbacks so i prefer that route.

This thread illustrates what i'm trying to avoid:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5477

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 06:17:30 pm »
I would prefer not to use the glossy laminate because of possible problems with the laminate "sticking" to the lexan.  Using glossy laminate isn't necessary for a glossy finish since the lexan is what gives the CP it's gloss anyway.  Just like automotive paint.  The paint itself isn't that shiny.  Once you lay down the clear coat and buff it, then it becomes shiny.

Since the glossy laminate has drawbacks, but no benefits, i will not use it.  The matte laminate has benefits without any of the drawbacks so i prefer that route.

This thread illustrates what i'm trying to avoid:
http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5477
That post, I know which thread that is without even looking at it, Dr. J's cp looking 'wet' under lexan.  Only he used black paint against lexan, not a laminated overlay that is black.  Apples and oranges.

I actually did an experiment when I was deciding what to do - you should try this.  Get something printed on regular paper and laminate it.  Now take that and put it under glass/lexan whatever, and compare it to another matte-laminated (or non-laminated) print under the same lexan/glass whatever.  There is no way you can say the non-laminated one looks as glossy.  Impossible.  Even glossy paper doesn't give the same results.  Your car paint example is correct, only the clear coat is the lamination in this case, not the lexan.

Obviously, use what you want, but after doing a lot of real-world research into this, I can definitely say best results are regular paper+regular glossy laminate under lexan.

EDIT: sorry I don't mean to sound harsh in this one ;)  Just want everyone's stuff to look the best, and maybe i'm too into artwork....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 07:48:56 pm by Frostillicus »

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 07:54:19 pm »
No offense taken at all, Frostillicus.  I'm just extremely paranoid about the "wet look" happening to my CP.  I know that Dr. J's CP was done using paint and not lamination, but the same thing can/does happen with lamination.  If you look at the thread again you'll see that at least one other person reported this happening with lamination.

Maybe i'll just try using the glossy laminate and if i have a problem i'll send you the bill.  ;)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 06:59:48 am »
it is looking good, but it is kind of "Busy". But perhaps it won't seem that way at full size.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 09:40:55 am »

Maybe i'll just try using the glossy laminate and if i have a problem i'll send you the bill.  ;)

Heh heh - fair enough ;)  

It only cost me $3 at kinkos to get something laminated, no matter what size it was (thought that was weird until the guy said it takes the same amount of work, they just trim it down to the right size).  

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 02:49:43 pm »
$3!?!?  Wow.  It costs me $3 per square foot!.  Since my panel is over 4sq ft they round it up.  $15 for laminate alone  >:(

I sent my CPO into Kinkos via the web yesterday.  Got a call at 7:30 this morning that it was done.  Stopped by on the way to work to pick it up and it was completely the wrong color!  Aaarrrrrggggghhhh!!!

They're supposed to have it redone by 5PM today.  We'll see if they can get it right on the 2nd try.  That's a costly mistake for them to make though.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 08:49:00 pm »
yeah they are renowned for screwing things up like that.  My first CP overlay I asked for them to print was twice the size it was supposed to be and had a horrible border.  How could I use that?
Anyways, since that I always drop off a color proof to go with it - and tell them to not even bother calling me unless they get it to look like the proof (only bigger ;) ).  Don't know if you did that but it could help next time.  

Cue-Ball

• Offline Offline
  • Discs of Tron > *
    • Grant's Game Grid
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2003, 12:59:52 pm »
I didn't provide them with a color proof but when i noticed it was wrong i told them to open the PDF file that i provided.  They looked at the screen and then at the printout and said "You're right.  Those look nothing alike!".  They ended up printing it three times before the got it right.  The second printing was fine but they fouled up the laminate.  Third time was a charm. :)

Total damage to my wallet: ~$58   :o

The overlay ended up costing more than my joysticks and buttons!  Will post pics once i finish putting it all back together.

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2003, 02:24:07 pm »
The overlay ended up costing more than my joysticks and buttons!  Will post pics once i finish putting it all back together.

Well I'm glad it finally worked out ;)  Sounds like it was a nightmare.... but I can't wait to see finished pics - that design is killer.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2003, 10:54:28 am »
Very nice work!!  Impressive  ;D
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!