Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

1   Main Forum / Re: Asteroids originalon Today at 05:38:32 am

Started by spisi - Last post by Mike A

Started by Toasty833 - Last post by Toasty833

I tried the vive tracker as a light gun route myself and used the precompiled vive controller as a mouse pointer as well. I ended up getting this gun (Hyperkin Hyper Blaster) to attach the vive tracker to:

How did you get the calibration to work? For me it's always all over the place, and there's no good way to adjust it.

I saw the hyperkin guns, but importing one would've been overly expensive, and they mounted the tracker on the top so you can't use the iron sights without heavy modification anyway. I found it easier to just mount to a guncon, you can put a tracker in the hole for the cable with minor modification to fit a tripod mount, and then you can use the iron sights and wrap a couple of wires around the pogo pins for a trigger and A/B. I've tried some alternatives, but the required minimum distance is just too much for my setup, even with fish eye lenses. I could use a smaller screen or move further away, but I want to play on a big screen, and that requires both a large screen, and a low minimum distance. Right now I'm playing with my gun barrel about 9 inches from the display, I think even camera based laser detection would have problems here due to occlusion.

As a basic example, at this distance on a 4:3 game I have a horizontal view angle of 50 degrees. If we assume you can get about 1x diagonal resolution away from a screen with a fish eye, and you're playing with an outstretched arm instead of shooting from the hip, you would need to be around 60 inches away (40 inches due to screen, 20 due to distance from barrel to eye), giving you a view angle of 26 degrees, or almost half as small a picture. With a much larger screen, barrel to eye distance gets smaller proportionally, but even with a 200" display (which would give you a 163" 4:3 screen), you'd still only manage a 33 degree horizontal view angle.

Obviously, there's an argument to be made about what view angle is good enough. Time Crisis 3 deluxe had 50" 4:3 screens with the player about 60" away from the screens, which corresponds to a horizontal view angle of 37 degrees. Standard cabs had smaller screens with lower view angles and are still totally playable, but I'm looking for arcade level without having to rent a warehouse to fit a 300" screen in so I can stand 27 feet away.

Started by Davetrader2 - Last post by Davetrader2

You're right, you have to unplug one of the boards while you program the other board, and it works. I was just thinking for the longest time theres no way they didn't build something into the software to toggle between multiple boards. I assumed you could use an iPac4 and an iPac2 together but theres nothing on the Ultimarc website that says they have that capability. They only talk about the UIO having this capability. So confusing. Ultimarc would save us and them a bunch of headaches if the would just create normal documentation like every other software/hardware company. How hard could it be? Their stuff isn't that complicated, but we have to jump through a bunch of hoops to figure out simple things that could just put in the help file.

4   Main Forum / Asteroids originalon Yesterday at 08:10:39 pm

Started by spisi - Last post by spisi

Hey guys, I'm this close to buying an Asteroids original cab. I need expert advice. The one thing holding me back is that it doesn't hold the high score after losing power. Do I need to keep it powered on 24-7 to keep the high scores?  TIA

5   Everything Else / Re: So I've been building an ultralighton Yesterday at 07:25:08 pm

Started by danny_galaga - Last post by danny_galaga

I've been diligently double checking everything by starting from page 1 in the build manual, methodically checking every bolt and cable etc. I found a loose bolt 😲. Dismaying there was one, but good to know the methodical check picked it up. I'm just over half way through the manual now. I bought a cheap borescope to get to the hard to see places. Definitely worth buying even if it just gets used once a year.

Started by tlandrews - Last post by lilshawn

i personally have not seen this "version". i suspect someone shoehorned some of the old games into ion 2014 and just passing it off as something different to get people to buy them.

7   Main Forum / Re: Pandora 10th annversary boxon Yesterday at 01:49:40 pm

Started by actman - Last post by lilshawn

you have to configure what kind of output it needs to spit out.

ii it's the same as the DX, I think you press and hold the button on the side and power it on then release the button... you then press until the light combo on the other side next to the video ports is a particular sequence for the kind of output you need. some of the newer ones you hold the button, power it on and you just keep pressing the button to cycle through each resolution...

some of the older PB systems have different ways to change the resolutions, so you'll have to find the manual for your particular box and see the proper sequence to change it.

8   Main Forum / Pandora 10th annversary boxon Yesterday at 12:17:27 pm

Started by actman - Last post by actman

I have a Pandora box connected to my arcade cabinet with an arcade monitor. It works good however I wanted to take it out and power it up with a power supply and connect to a hdmi tv or vga pc.
When I put 5v and 12v to the jamma connector it powers on but does not display. I have tried various resolution settings and can only get it to work in my cabinet. I have benched another brand box with no issues doing this. I must have someting wrong . I have two of these model Pandora boxs and both do the same. Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong ?

9   Lightguns / Re: VR lighthouse based tracking for lightgunson Yesterday at 06:19:38 am

Started by Toasty833 - Last post by greymatr

Hi Toasty,

I tried the vive tracker as a light gun route myself and used the precompiled vive controller as a mouse pointer as well. I ended up getting this gun (Hyperkin Hyper Blaster) to attach the vive tracker to:

https://unboundxr.eu/hyper-blaster-vr-gun

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Hyper-Blaster-Vive-Tracker-pc/dp/B077Y9WBDZ

It did all work in the end but it was a lot of mucking around. I ended up getting an off the shelf solution that uses 4 IR emitters around the TV / Monitor.

10   Lightguns / Re: GUN4IR - The Ultimate 4 Points Lightgun Systemon April 17, 2024, 08:25:43 pm

Started by JayBee - Last post by Jardielsilva

help. I don't get the output. thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10