Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What to do about Side Art  (Read 3776 times)

HeadRusch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
  • ....Here you are all EQUALLY WORTHLESS...
What to do about Side Art
« on: April 16, 2003, 10:11:58 pm »
I'm trying to figure out how to attach side-art to a cab.....

If I get the whole thing printed at Kinkos......then..like...can I spray it with spray adhesive to get it on the cab side, roll out the bubbles..and then..what...how do I cover the stuff up??

Some sorta clearcoat layer?
".....its like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re:What to do about Side Art
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2003, 12:08:46 am »
The best bet is to get it printed on self-adhesive vinyl, and get the printed surface laminated with a UV protective material.

You'll have to cut around the design by hand.

Then you would peel back a small bit of backing at the edge (probably the top).  Once you have it in position, stick that edge down to hold it into position.  Then carefully and slowly push the vinyl down, while pulling the backing off at the same time.  Make sure you apply pressure back and forth across the width of the decal to keep any bubbles from forming while doing this.

Keep in mind that you have one shot to do this.  Screw up and back to kinkos.  Small bubbles can be pushed out after poking them with a small needle.  Wrinkles are there for life.

Even with lamination, make sure the sun isn't beating on the cabinet through a nearby open window.  Ink fades where screen print enamel won't.

You might be able to do a clear overcoat as long as it doesn't attack the vinyl or the adhesive.  Test it on something first.

Good luck, and YMMV :)

RandyT
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 12:09:03 am by RandyT »

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2003, 12:21:30 am »
You might be able to do a clear overcoat as long as it doesn't attack the vinyl or the adhesive.  Test it on something first.

Good luck, and YMMV :)

RandyT

Good advice.  In my experience with the spray adhesive/clear coat approach, make sure the spray adhesive cures completely before you spray with a clear coat.  On some labels I made once I was too impatient to wait.  What happened was that the adhesive was still releasing some solvent (I think) in vapor form through the paper when I clear-coated it.  The result was many tiny bubbles appeared in the clear coat.  You don't want to risk ruining your side art with a bunch of bubbles, so wait a few days between the steps.

For reference, I used 3M 77 spray adhesive on the back of regular inkjet paper and coated it with typical clear gloss spray paint.  The ink was not affected at all.  When I re-made the labels and waited a few days between the adhesive and clear coat, they turned out perfect.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2003, 12:14:11 pm »
I have an Idea for my side art....however it's going to be a little big.  I've been thinking about just getting it done at Kinkos on Vinyl (sp?)

Would the adheasive, clearcoat theory apply to vinyl (sp?)  also?  The only thing i'm really worried about was the clearcoat stripping the ink off of the artwork....
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!