Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: %$&^@#  (Read 3514 times)

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
%$&^@#
« on: November 16, 2003, 02:46:18 pm »
Cabinet Width - 29.5"

Back Door - 30+"

Hallway Door - 30+"

Other Hallway Door - 30+"

Front Door - 30+"

Basement (Shop) Door - 27.5"

%$&^@#!!!!!

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
Re:%$&^@#
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 02:52:56 pm »
Take the door off? If that doesn't work you can try taking the door trim ( surround ) off, but that's a bit of a bigger job.
Surprising how often this comes up actually.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2005, 05:39:21 pm
  • your mom is a llama!
    • PICS OF MY LAME CAB
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 03:17:11 pm »
Time to move!!!  ;D

slycrel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2022, 06:20:59 pm
  • Mmm... Portal.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 03:19:49 pm »

Wow, that's bad.   :-\

Maybe sell it on ebay and make a new one, or possibly try to fenagle it elsewhere in your house?  =)

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 02:26:43 am
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 03:26:50 pm »
I'm sorry about your roadblock, however your post made me spit my coffee out laughing. The TV sitcom, video game obsessed husband brings home yet another cabinet, tries to sneak it into the basement while his wife is out shopping, can't fit it through the door, pulls out the tape measure, measures it, stomps and swears, lightbulb goes off over his head, cut to scene of giant holes in the wall made in a hasty attempt to get it in there before the wife gets home, husband turns around covered in debrit, standing face to face with wife, who appears near a nervous breakdown, head 4 seconds from exploding, cut to commercial.

Classic. :)
It ain't easy bein' Greazy.

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 03:27:45 pm »
Take the door off? If that doesn't work you can try taking the door trim ( surround ) off, but that's a bit of a bigger job.
Surprising how often this comes up actually.

Basement door frame is attached to brick foundation walls with lag screws and liquid nails.  No go.  By the way, did I mention...%$&^@#!!!

I will be working outside the back door...arrg.  If only I was single I do this in the living room.... :P
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 03:28:40 pm by 1hookedspacecadet »

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 03:33:40 pm »
I'm sorry about your roadblock, however your post made me spit my coffee out laughing. The TV sitcom, video game obsessed husband brings home yet another cabinet, tries to sneak it into the basement while his wife is out shopping, can't fit it through the door, pulls out the tape measure, measures it, stomps and swears, lightbulb goes off over his head, cut to scene of giant holes in the wall made in a hasty attempt to get it in there before the wife gets home, husband turns around covered in debrit, standing face to face with wife, who appears near a nervous breakdown, head 4 seconds from exploding, cut to commercial.

Classic. :)

Now that made me laugh!  Pretty close to the truth, although I was trying to get it into the basement really to mask the fact that I just bought a new belt sander to use on the cab.   :P

Reminds me of the "Malcom in the Middle" episode where Hal is supposed to change a lightbulb before the wife gets back.  Every thing he tries to do seems to lead to another tangent.  Tries to reach the bulb, needs a ladder, ladder is padlocked to the wall, needs bolt cutters, tries to go to the store for bolt cutters, car wont start, and so on.  When she comes home I think he has his transmission out on the floor...

I probably have the sequence all wrong but you get the idea...

mushmouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 02:26:43 am
  • Old School, baby.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 03:50:28 pm »
Never saw that episode, but exactly what I had in mind. lol
It ain't easy bein' Greazy.

aricade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2004, 01:38:26 pm
  • Wamma langa ding dong!
    • Isaacade
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 03:52:41 pm »
Dont feel bad.

I did the exact same thing.

The cab now resides in our living room, due to a big compromise by my wife!

Good luck!
 :)
Off all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!!

Wienerdog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 06:28:51 am
  • If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 04:28:13 pm »
Pretty close to the truth, although I was trying to get it into the basement really to mask the fact that I just bought a new belt sander to use on the cab.   :P

Well why didn't you say this to begin with?  Start sanding and let us know when you shave off the two inches...  

Actually, it could be worse.  Imagine if your door was really 29 inches.  You WOULD be tempted to sand off the 1/2 inch with your new belt sander.  Now that would be one for the archives!
This opinion was created from 100% post consumed information.

civic83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2008, 08:18:03 pm
  • "If I am to be destroyed, then so shall you be"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 07:04:07 pm »
I just had the exact same problem here, I was only about half an inch too wide to go down to the basement so a friend of mine dissassebled the cabinet and used a table saw to cut off half an inch from each side of all the centre pieces, then reassemble the cab, you can barely tell!

Mooters

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2005, 02:48:35 pm
  • I Hate Mondays, I LOVE MOZZY (MOZILLA)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2003, 10:21:46 pm »
$0.02

Why not Disassymble it and re-assymble it in your basement? ::)

Probably Wont Work But its my $0.02 :-\

The Game Is NEVER Over!!!

Luxury

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2006, 01:21:59 pm
  • Unfortunately It's True. :(
    • arcadeZERO
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 02:18:04 am »
Easy one:

1) Cut hole in floor
2) Lower cabinet down hole very carefully
3) Cover giant hole with rug
4) Don't tell anyone

If step 4 fails - add a firemans pole down to the basement.   ;D
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2003, 02:36:59 am »
Is this a handbuilt cabinet? The reason I am asking is because most real cabinets are built to be able to slide in a 27" doorway (either one way or the other).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2003, 07:36:05 am »
Is this a handbuilt cabinet? The reason I am asking is because most real cabinets are built to be able to slide in a 27" doorway (either one way or the other).

See my www. Super off road cabinet.  Very wide, 27" monitor.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 07:54:44 am »
Ah, one of those beasts.

I know how you feel though, I spent the better part of yesterday trying to figure out how to get a widebody pinball through a narrow door.

The final solution ended up being to detach the head completely and kind of stand it up rotated 90 degrees and to push the machine through like a sled.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 10:43:09 am »
Nothing is built to fit through a 27" door.  In fact, I think code says that any exterior entry doors should be 36".  The only times I see a door smaller than 27" is when it is a closet or pantry or something.  I think most furniture designers make their furniture so that it can fit through a 30" door.

So, hooked, what are you gonna do?  You can't leave it outside.  It's gonna get cold out there.

Darryl

soslo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2012, 03:23:36 pm
  • The Governator
    • My website does not have a name yet
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 11:12:18 am »
ever play with matches?
5 MAME cabs and counting...

Ever wonder what full side art looks like?
http://www.aaronmurray.com

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 11:21:29 am »
Pretty close to the truth, although I was trying to get it into the basement really to mask the fact that I just bought a new belt sander to use on the cab.   :P

Well why didn't you say this to begin with?  Start sanding and let us know when you shave off the two inches...  

Actually, it could be worse.  Imagine if your door was really 29 inches.  You WOULD be tempted to sand off the 1/2 inch with your new belt sander.  Now that would be one for the archives!

Out of curiosity, after doing some sanding over the weekend, I measured the outside width.  Was 29.5" now 29.25"  :P

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 11:33:30 am »
Ok qbert.  Are you in an apartment or a house?  What I am getting at is there any other doors around that you could use?

Edit, reread, I take it you want it in the badement.  And ther eis only one way in the basement.  I guess it isn't going in the basement:)

Out of curiosity, are you going to mame it?  is it a working game? Selling?  How much? PM me.

What's the cabinet dimensions?  WxHxL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 11:37:06 am by SirPoonga »

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 08:01:42 pm »
Ok qbert.  Are you in an apartment or a house?  What I am getting at is there any other doors around that you could use?

Edit, reread, I take it you want it in the badement.  And ther eis only one way in the basement.  I guess it isn't going in the basement:)

Out of curiosity, are you going to mame it?  is it a working game? Selling?  How much? PM me.

What's the cabinet dimensions?  WxHxL

Ok guys I am all set.  I wanted it in the basement to do the sanding etc.  No need anymore as I put casters on it and can get it out to the front porch in a jiffy when I am working on it.  After that back inside it goes.  When it is finished it will be upstairs so the basement is a moot point anyway.  It is going to be rented soon so it will not be available.

That all said, yes it is my MAME, see the www at: http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/

Once I get most of the work done on the cab it will go to a friend's cabinet shop so I can use his spray booth and fabricate the cp. I will post some new pics in the next few days showing the progress on my site.

Thanks for all the comments, funny stuff.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 09:25:09 pm »
That all said, yes it is my MAME, see the www at: http://home.earthlink.net/~rotoquad/
I can't follow the design of your site.  I am not finding the answers to my questions.  That's why I posted them here.

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2003, 12:10:29 am »
I can't follow the design of your site.  I am not finding the answers to my questions.  That's why I posted them here.

Sorry if it is a bit clunky.  Threw it up quickly, but will be revising it soon.

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2003, 12:12:32 am »

This thread should help explain it, I just added my first ever Illustrator attempt.

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=12686

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 02:38:29 am »
What about the selling? price?  pm me with that info.