Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MegaTouch Emulation?  (Read 15814 times)

JimK

• Trade Count: (0)
MegaTouch Emulation?
« on: July 14, 2002, 03:57:40 am »
is there an emulator for those "megatouch" type machines you always see on bars?  I would love to do a bartop machine like this.  

Any info would be appretiated.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: MegaTouch Emulation?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2002, 08:39:51 am »
I haven't seen an emulator for them....

but I've seen people turn them into a mame machine... Sweet really...  I want one.

but I've never found a game on one of those that I really liked.  All seem like pretty old console games... or trivial games in text.  

But I love the form factor.  The mini mame machines are just so cool!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

StephenH

Re:MegaTouch Emulation?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 12:47:19 am »
At this time, there does not seem to be an emulator for the "Bartop" games.

However, if anyone out there who has one would like start he emulation process, get someone to dump the ROMs, and start a web page with schematics, manuals, and gather data about what HW is inside them.   If one does this, maybe one of the devs will pick it up, if there is no encryption on the ROMs.

is there an emulator for those "megatouch" type machines you always see on bars?

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 12:19:21 pm »
Yea there are a couple of reasons they haven't emulated these. One is all thier games are still in production which makes it a huge copyright issue and second it's hard to find just boards for these and the whole machine if it works usually sells for over $500 at auction for the old ones.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 01:05:21 pm »
Also don't forget to mention the fact that these games usually had a touch screen.  Using a mouse would be rather akward and getting a real touch screen (one big enough for a mame cab no-less)  could be rather costly.  

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 09:10:32 am »
Personally I think no one has emulated them because no one wants to be responsible for emulating games where men show thier junk. So I say if someone emulates them only do the one where you pick the differences between the naked women it's the only one that is really good anyways.

Sshado

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 07:38:23 pm
  • Sshado's Club
    • Sshado's Club
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 12:15:42 pm »
so has there been any updates to this yet?  I would like to make one for my bar.

Are there any emulations out?

str1der

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm
  • Live it!
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 03:54:07 pm »
I don't think there's a emulator but I'm still toying with making my own. Here's a link to a thread about games and a front end I was toying with.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,30686.0.html

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 06:18:09 am »
Personally I think no one has emulated them because no one wants to be responsible for emulating games where men show thier junk. So I say if someone emulates them only do the one where you pick the differences between the naked women it's the only one that is really good anyways.

Nah that's not it at all.....

There are several gambling related games on those systems that (gasp!)
don't involve nudity at all.  Also there are a lot of trivia games. 

The main thing is that these games are rather simple and mostly consist of static pictures and text.  Take that and the fact that most of these games are very dated at this point (making the trivia games worthless and the pr0n often pixelated and ugly)  these games just aren't fun to play, nor are they technically interesting from a hardware nerds pov. 

Unfortunatley, most systems don't get emulated unless the games are either pretty, the hardware is interesting, or the games are fun to play. 

Look no further than the descrete logic games....   Because they are rather ugly and some people (not me) don't find them to be very fun, there are only a handful of simulators, and most of those simulators are a version of pong. 

So if someone wants this done, they are going to need to find a emulation dev that actually likes those touch screen games for one reason or another, and raise funds to get them the hardware to research.   

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 09:10:39 am »
I think there're even more to it than that.

First of all, megatouch has a large enough following that an emulator for it would be successful.

A) They're still widely in use and continually make money.
B) Each new software revision comes with a new hardware security key. 
C) Megatouches are basically PC's that are running linux or...  *forgets OS*... grr I remember eading about it somewhere.  But they are (or were at least) x86 PC's.
D) These are touchscreen games, adn there is no cursor.  Good luck controlling it w/ a mouse and no cursor.

It would make more sense to rip off the software and crack it, although god knows what kind of custom graphics hardware they implemented.