Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Something Different (Newbie JukeBox)  (Read 7793 times)

soup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2023, 08:09:06 am
Something Different (Newbie JukeBox)
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:55:41 am »
The idea of building a JukeBox came about from building my MAME cab - moving into my new house with no money to buy a pooltable to take up the space in the games room + too many spare computers laying about. So with plenty of free parts, a few months to spare (before the move) and wayyyyy too much over-confidence (ie "surely couldn't be that hard?") I set to work on building my nameless jukebox.

I was going to post the project as it progressed, however the only planning was the initial frame and, then with panic setting in on realizing I was running out of time, everything else was on the fly - which I learnt was where many of the mistakes characteristics came into effect. I was planning to jam all the gear into an existing 1950's radiogram, but it wouldn't fit so i created my own. It started out as a wurlitzer but turned into an old stereogram look-a-like.
Its really a side job, nothing of the caliber of members of this forumn - but hey it's something you can all compare too and go "thats something I probably want to avoid"  :laugh:

Now keep in mind that the idea was not to build something amazing (as I am lacking both creative and woodworking skills) but build something with minimum $$$ in the minimum amount of time (had to be finished before the move) to my ability (really just get some hands on with power tools  >:D). It would also give me some practice in preparation to build my MAME cab.

So a quick run down on the gear:
1. Screen - free from a friend of a friend who mentioned he could get me a supermarket touch screen ( I gave him an Atari 2600 for his troubles)
2. Amplifier + Subwoofer - Free from my parents who upgraded. (has remote too, comes in handy)
3. Speakers - Free from my G/F (however *apparently* this gives her 50% rights over it use, sneaky very sneaky)
4. Record Player - Free from an old 50's radiogram (I sooo wish i could of used the whole unit)
5. PC - Dual 1GHz 1GB server, cost me $5 from work.
6. Software - WinXP + AlbumPlayer (trial atm)
7. Wood - Frame was Pine from Bunnings ($2 per length) and the front and back are old left over Jarrah Floorboards.
8. Tools - Inherited every power tool (soldering iron, 3 x sanders, battery drill, grinder, electric drill etc etc) under the sun thanks to my G/F's parents

Ok some photos:

The basic frame with the PCB holder + the alcove + sliding mount for the record player.

Front face fitted (shot taken from behind)

Front face again from the front.

JB up on a set of work-horses to fit out the PC board, subwoofer and wiring (touchscreen mounted)

In the new house next to the *still-to-be-completed* arcade machine. The JB is working, but not completed.

View from behind with the JB comlpeted. Two fans from the old server fitted to the door, latch and deadbolt as well. Also a recessed switch to turn everything on in the top RH corner (yet to have button cover fitted).

Back door open.

Close up of the guts of it.
- Lower shelf = subwoofer to the left with PC board on the right.
- next shelf up = Speaker boxes with power board
- next shelf up = record player alcove + relay to turn on everything.
- top shelf = amplifier + touchscreen.

Final product showing record player door open (with light actuated by server 'case open' microswitch)

Most costly part = router bit for cutting trench $26 (for the sidebaord).
Hardest part= designing push button actuator action for the amplifier buttons (fire + grinder + glue + plastic cut outs + piping-in-piping + grease = success)
Most fun = First time using a router and circular saw (as the images will prove the not-so-straight cuts)
I learnt a lot and hopefully gained some skills to help me with the building of my cab.

Still left to do is to add something to the top as it seems missing *bulky*, possibly add picture frames around the amp and touchscreen window to make the edges *even*, and adjust the speaker grill I made/cut/hacked (its a bit twisted off RH down).

Oh, and thanks to Welshmark as his idea kicked started mine http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67867.0.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:57:26 am by soup »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: Something Different (Newbie JukeBox)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:35 am »
I think you did a damn good job! You honestly had no experience with a circ saw and router?

rberger3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2014, 11:54:52 am
  • I bet she gives great helmet.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »
 :cheers:  Good freaking job, that looks very smooth and professional.

Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 04:15:46 pm
  • what day is it...
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:12:15 pm »
very beautiful man!! looks very nice. I can not wait to get my juke started. I started a project thread but did not have much done as of then and real life caught up with me which pushed the plans back a bit.

Neil

soup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 08:16:02 pm »
You honestly had no experience with a circ saw and router?

Yup, if you were to see close up photo's you would see some pretty rough work. None of the lines from the cuts match up, so it gives it a distorted kinda feel.

I learnt heaps having to route out the recess for the touch screen as there were about 3 different levels.
What I learnt (and I'm probabley preaching to the converted here):
1. don't ever, ever withdraw the circular saw if not cutting all the way through, wait for it to stop (unfortunatley I only became aware of this when I started building the cab)
2. Circular saws dont cut curves all too well lol.
3. A wooden block is great as a guide to cutting straight lines (learnt this too late)
4. Tilting the router is not a good thing and results in a curvy line
5. On hardwood it pays to use a quality Bit.
6. Burning wood with a router bit gets you no where, do incremental 'passes' (depth) at the right speed.
7. "Mock ups" - From staining to routing try it out first on a piece of scrap, saves time and money.

... did not have much done as of then and real life caught up with me which pushed the plans back a bit.

I hear ya Neil, was the same thing with me. However those breaks allowed me to rethink about the jukebox resulting in better ideas. Keep up with the project thread though as I reckon if I had started one it might have egged me on a bit!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 06:41:01 am »
Good work!  :applaud:

Now get that cab finished!!

It looks as though you have stopped at the 'playable' stage (completely understandable!)  ;)

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:45:36 am »
soup,

GREAT JOB! I hope mine looks that nice when I'm done with it. I do have one question though.

What type of material did you use to make the curved covering between the front face and the back face? Thanks for the info.

Encryptor

IA1NY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2008, 06:32:20 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:51:03 am »
Great first job. :applaud:  

Did you use hardboard for the arched top like Welshmark? What are your buttons?  How'd you get the wood tone on them?

You might check out woodworking supply stores for finials or decorations for the top.  You might also consider making a bezel around your controls and control display.  That might work out well.

soup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:39:45 am »

...Now get that cab finished!!

It looks as though you have stopped at the 'playable' stage (completely understandable!)  ;)

Yes, yes it is at that stage (bows head), but it's soooooo hard not to lol

What type of material did you use to make the curved covering between the front face and the back face? Thanks for the info.

Encryptor
we have this stuff over here (Australia) called MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard), I used 3mm thickness in the longest length I could find (you can see about 1/4 the way up I have used some strips of wood to hide the joins). I hung it over a wooden beam in my garage for 2 weeks to get it to bend to the right shape under its own weight.

Did you use hardboard for the arched top like Welshmark? What are your buttons?  How'd you get the wood tone on them?

You might check out woodworking supply stores for finials or decorations for the top.  You might also consider making a bezel around your controls and control display.  That might work out well.

I cut out a channel using a 4mm router bit for the 3mm thick MDF to slot into, such a nice fit (and strong) that I didnt need to use any re-inforcing. The buttons I used - if your referrring to the interface I used a touch-screen, however if your referring to the buttons that interface with the amplifier buttons then:
1. I used old style wooden knobs grinded down to the right size.
2. The stalk of the knob was glued into a plastic pipe (hobby shop kinda stuff).
3. Then a larger plastiic pipe (again from hobby shop) was split along its length, heated up and fitted to a screwdriver to 'open' it up a little.
4. The larger plastic pipe was fitted and glued to the drill holes that line up with the push buttons of the amplifier
5. The smaller pipe (fitted to the stalk of the knob) was greased up and inserted into  the larger pipe (so it slightley pokes out the back of it)
6. To each of the smaller plastic pipe ends poking out of the back of the larger pipe, a small circular plastic (cut out from a tuppaware lid, shhh dont tell my GF lol) is glued. This stops the knob from sliding out, but provides enough surface to make contact with the amplifier buttons (which happen to be spring loaded).

In regards to the wood tone, I used two coats of some "Jarrah' colour rubbing compound (oil + bee's wax). I applied two coats after I had sanded the wood with 60 grit, then 120 grit, then 600 grit to give it a slight shine so that it looks like a "unit once shiny but now worn from use" kinda look.
Ya, I was thinking for a bezel something like a picture frame kinda thing might be the go?

BTW - thanks to all for the kind words!!!!

IA1NY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2008, 06:32:20 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:45:21 pm »
we have this stuff over here (Australia) called MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard), I used 3mm thickness in the longest length I could find (you can see about 1/4 the way up I have used some strips of wood to hide the joins). I hung it over a wooden beam in my garage for 2 weeks to get it to bend to the right shape under its own weight.

We have the same stuff in the states.  Great use.  I've used some stuff called "wiggle wood", "wiggle ply" or "bending lauan" that is meant for stuff like this.  You can easily bend it into a 9" (230mm) radius and tighter with extra effort.  The only disadvantage is that you need to skim-coat the panel because of the grain.  It's great for projects that can get laminated or veneered and comes in both 6mm (1/4") and 10mm (3/8").

Thanks for the info on your knobs.  Great way to go.

welshmark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2010, 02:21:16 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:58:19 pm »
Congratulations - that looks awesome.  Great job!!!