Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3D pics of new project based on 1UP's  (Read 3615 times)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
3D pics of new project based on 1UP's
« on: February 27, 2003, 02:12:54 pm »
Well, I enjoyed building my first cab so much, and since it's gone :'(  I need to build another.  I'm sure most would agree.  Thanks to 1UP for documenting his rotating panels! Really inspiring.

Anyway, snowy weekends here have meant extra free time to create a new design for a cab.  The design is a 2-piece for (relatively) easy moving and is based on a defender style cab, although it kind of looks like a lucid up top.  I put up a quick page with renders and pics of original CP overlays.   Although my friends, after seeing it, suggested I may have TOO much free time ;) It's an obssession, and I can't wait to start building it!

Frostillicus's New Project

mtalkington

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2010, 05:02:19 pm
Re:3D pics of new project based on 1UP's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2003, 05:25:49 pm »
That's going to be great! Man, tell your friends that you have too much time on your hands...you just probably don't waste your spare time watching reality TV!

Anyways, what do you use to make 3D renderings? 1UP does the same kind of renderings, and they look nice...I'd like to make a 3D rendering of my own cabinet to use in the Emulaxian front end. Is it a pretty difficult/involved process?

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2003, 05:25:59 pm »
looks amazing.

I prophecize that 1UP's cab is going to be the new Lucid design......... I have plans to build one as well!  8)

The new BYOAC standard cabinet!
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2003, 05:35:59 pm »
holy god...the SF art look mad cool..seriouslly..great...BTW..i am selling mine too..i am moving in a bigger house so me too..build another one comes in 2 pieces..I GET MY OWN ROOM THIS TIME..hehe heh...your cabinet looking great too..from your first cabinet..it appears you CAN DO IT.. ;D(1up cabinet setup is not easy from what I can guess :-[)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2003, 06:59:23 pm »
That's going to be great! Man, tell your friends that you have too much time on your hands...you just probably don't waste your spare time watching reality TV!

Anyways, what do you use to make 3D renderings? 1UP does the same kind of renderings, and they look nice...I'd like to make a 3D rendering of my own cabinet to use in the Emulaxian front end. Is it a pretty difficult/involved process?

Thanks guys, glad you like it so far!  

Mtalkington:  Heh - yeah i spend my time doing something other than watching TV(though Law and Order is pretty addictive).  I use 3d studio, but these renders show pretty much the limit of my ability in 3d programs.  I rely more on textures than anything to get the look right.

Brax and SNAAAKE:  Let's hope 1UP's cab does take hold because it's just D@MN cool - how easy is it to just rotate the CP for Tron and then rotate it again for street fighter?

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2003, 07:43:13 am »

you can pretty much use any modeler to build your cab. Not all modelers can export to w3d though for use in emulaxian. I myself use 3ds max. I can import pretty much anything so if you make a model of your cab i am happy to convert it for you ;-)

Love that assault inspired cpo  :D

yeah 1up's design is fantastic...if i was going to make a new one I definately would try something similar...I am tempted but my girlfriend won't have it...  ;)

peter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2003, 07:47:55 am by )p( »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2003, 10:21:09 am »
Thanks )p(!

Wow I really had no idea my design is so similar to TazMan's (The Mametrix) - I just never looked at that thread(the name threw me,sorry).  But after browsing his site  for the first time this morning, I must say we have the same ideas!    His cab looks pretty excellent, and the theme is really cool afterall!

I guess if you have 3 panels to work with, and you want to play the most games 'authentically' as possible, the natural evolution would be A) fighter with a 4-way, B) Tron style with trackball, C) rotary joysticks (though I added 2 trigger-sticks in the middle for assault and bzone).

I'll have pics soon anyways of my cab so far - it's really coming along(well, the bottom half anyways ;) ).