Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari 2600 Trackball interface to PC for MAME Cab?  (Read 3442 times)

Xochi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2005, 01:52:17 pm
Atari 2600 Trackball interface to PC for MAME Cab?
« on: June 03, 2003, 01:35:29 pm »
I'm trying to get some controls together for my MAME cab and scrounging around in my storage room I found an old Atari 2600 'trakball(tm)'! I'm thinking hacking this thing to work with my MAME PC would be a lot cheaper than buying a real trackball from Happ, et al. (Can't believe how much they cost).

Anyone know anything about interfacing these puppies to a PC? I searched the net and wasn't able to find much. I figure someone has almost certainly already figured it out...

It would be cool if I could hack this for the PC to see it as a mouse. Any info much appreciated!!  :)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Atari 2600 Trackball interface to PC for MAME Cab?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 01:58:40 pm »
Hmm... I'm pretty sure it can be done.  But there's some hacking involved.

Let me ask you something.  How well does it roll?   It might not be worth the trouble if rolls/feels crappy.

*shrug* sorry I couldn't be of more help.

rampy

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 02:09:56 pm »
http://www.cheeptech.com/cuhack.html

Example uses an ADB mouse (macintosh), but you could do the same thing with a USB mouse.  Oscar's ($9) hack is an option as well, except it would need to be custom as you would still need the mouse encoders and receivers.  You might try E-mailing Kelsey about it, though. ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 02:27:13 pm by Tiger-Heli »
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Xochi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 01:41:43 pm »
http://www.cheeptech.com/cuhack.html

Example uses an ADB mouse (macintosh), but you could do the same thing with a USB mouse.  Oscar's ($9) hack is an option as well, except it would need to be custom as you would still need the mouse encoders and receivers.  You might try E-mailing Kelsey about it, though. ;D

Sounds interesting, thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I figured any hacks would involve tearing apart a mouse too. :)

HeadRusch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2006, 04:13:30 pm
  • ....Here you are all EQUALLY WORTHLESS...
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 02:15:15 pm »
I've got one of those atari trackballs with the 9 pin adapter...doesn't someone make a nice 9 pin adapter for these!?!?!? :D

9 pin to 15 pin?

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEEEEOPLE ANYWAYS!?!?!?! :D
".....its like a Koala crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 02:19:55 pm »
  I've done this with an old Atari 2600 Wico trackball... it was an incredibly easy direct to Optipac hack... I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet though...

Check out Mamehac on my website for some more pics -

http://www.arcadepinball.com

I'll see what I can do about writing something up...

- Mameham

Xochi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2003, 01:34:19 pm »
 I've done this with an old Atari 2600 Wico trackball... it was an incredibly easy direct to Optipac hack... I haven't gotten around to writing it up yet though...

I'll see what I can do about writing something up...

That sounds very cool. I'm using I-PAC for the keyboard interface, so I'd defiinitely consider this hack since the Opti-Pac is so similar and reasonably priced.

Re: Other msg about the '9pin interface': I actually have an Atari to PC gameport joystick adaptor (haven't tried it with the ball because I'm looking for mouse style operation... ) In the back of my head, I'd sort of hoped maybe someone had figured out a way to interface it to the serial port and make it look like a serial mouse or something, making the whole thing trivial  :)

Mameham

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
  • The Original Home Arcade Machine
    • Mameham
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2003, 03:33:24 pm »
 It was actually basically straight forward with the Wico and the Optipac... I opened up the Wico, saw the 4 wire plug going to the optical sensors on the board, cut them, wired them to the Optipac and I was done.
 If you need more of a walk through, let me know... I'll write something up...

- Eric