Front End Support > Maximus Arcade

shutting down mame

<< < (2/4) > >>

markronz:

--- Quote from: DashRendar on February 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am ---Please don't shut down a Windows computer by hitting the power button!   :hissy:

--- End quote ---

I think DashRendar just means by holding down the power button to shut down the computer.   This is a no no.  If you change the setting to shut down the computer when hitting the power button, this is fine.    Just wanted to clarify that.

Anyway,  I had a similar post a while back, see here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=95615.0

In my case, my computer did start to act strange.   Also my Mame config file for all the button controls kept getting reset.   I suspect this was because it was in use or being written to as the power was cut to the computer.      Anyway, I concur with others, you need to shut down the computer versus just cut the power.   There are many methods to do so, most are covered the post I linked above.

ahofle:
I shut down with the power button all the time.  As long as you are using a fairly recent OS, pressing the power button (not holding it down) will properly shut down. 
So the answer to your second question: "Is it fine to change my setting to : when I hit power button, shut down my computer, and that's it?" is YES.

DashRendar:

--- Quote from: ahofle on February 02, 2010, 12:06:22 pm ---I shut down with the power button all the time.  As long as you are using a fairly recent OS, pressing the power button (not holding it down) will properly shut down. 
So the answer to your second question: "Is it fine to change my setting to : when I hit power button, shut down my computer, and that's it?" is YES.

--- End quote ---

To clarify:

So the answer to your second question: "Is it fine to change my setting to : when I hit power button, shut down my computer, and that's it?" is IT DEPENDS.

If you have Vista or Windows 7, pressing the Power Button (by default) will put the computer in Sleep mode (which is fine).  It can also be set to go through the normal Windows shutdown process, or Restart process.  This is something that can be configured.

If you have XP or earlier, by default pressing the Power Button will force it off - which is bad.  This can still be configured to Shutdown or Restart however.

Ginsu Victim:
I have the power button from the PC run to a small service switch just inside the coin door. I normally shut down from my front end, but if I have to, I can press the switch to initiate the shutdown or hold it to kill the power.

ahofle:

--- Quote from: DashRendar on February 02, 2010, 12:34:33 pm ---So the answer to your second question: "Is it fine to change my setting to : when I hit power button, shut down my computer, and that's it?" is IT DEPENDS.

--- End quote ---

Depends on what?  Are you saying that setting in Power Options doesn't work?
Also, I've never seen any version of windows in the last decade that somehow forced the computer to shut down by momentarily pressing the power button.  XP definitely does not force anything off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version