Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Restoration  (Read 4567 times)

ted429

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 06:19:27 am
Donkey Kong Restoration
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:26 am »
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and I am currently working on a DK restoration. It has all the original hardware (monitor/Power supply) and I think I am going to swap out the monitor and power supply just because of the 19" CRTs are disappearing. I am looking at getting a Kortek for arcadeshop.com and I think I will get the rest of my supplies (CPO/artwork/marquee) from there as well. I am just looking for some tips or suggestions that could save me money or time. Also my DK was missing the blackout trim around the monitor and does anyone have the dimensions for that?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:14:00 am by ted429 »

kampcool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2011, 04:43:59 am
Re: Donkey Kong Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »
  Does the monitor have incredible burn in, or something?  Can we see a picture of it?  Wouldnt you like to keep it in the machine if it works with minimal cost to refresh?  19 in crts are still available easily enough, from a number of places online, from what I have been seeing.  http://www.arcadeshop.com/pics/19-horz-mount.jpg
at http://www.arcadeshop.com/parts.htm#Monitors
  As far as the the blackout trim, there are several DK owners here that should be able to help you out.
Good luck on your DK, please post some pix...

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:28:56 pm »
No that monitor is in ok condition. I am going to keep the original monitor and power supply. I just want a rock solid machine that won't let me down three months from now and I have to put more money in it. I figured if I go this way I have a back up plan on the shelf. I will post some pics soon.

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 07:05:08 pm »
I am a new guy to the monitor restoration/capkit process, and I have had some sucess, its actually kind of fun and VERY cheap compared to buying a new monitor.   capkits are like 15 bucks, so I think its a great call keeping the monitor, and P/S, if they work already.   Very interested on what your DK looks like, Im currently looking for one that needs a restoration, for our collection.    Will be watching for progress on this one. 

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:20:05 am »
Yea I am converting a DK jr to a Donkey Kong because I was never a fan of Jr. I will got some pics up soon.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:14:52 pm »
The Kortek monitor will not work as a direct replacement.  The monitors used in Nintendo games have the sound amp on the monitor.  They also use an inverted color architecture.  You can use the new monitor, but you will need an amp and inverter such as this one.

If you have minimal burn in on your current monitor, my opinion, is that you would be better off replacing some parts (caps, etc) on the existing monitor.  It has lasted 30 years and with minimal cost will last another 30.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:12 pm »
I planned on converting the whole machine to JAMMA and from what I understand that will convert the video and also has a sound amp. I am planning on buying the side art from arcade shop. How is the quality of their sideart/CPO/marquee?

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:26:24 pm »
Plus I have read more than one post that 19" are disappearing and I can't think of a LCD in my DK. Just wouldn't be right.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 08:40:46 pm »
I planned on converting the whole machine to JAMMA and from what I understand that will convert the video and also has a sound amp. I am planning on buying the side art from arcade shop. How is the quality of their sideart/CPO/marquee?
You could get this, which has a built-in video color inverter and sound amplifier, then just wire the cabinet up to Jamma standard.
Otherwise, you'd need to wire a separate inverter as well as a speaker amp between the DK board and the Jamma Harness.

I'm assuming the reason you want to Jamma it is because you want to be able to swap boards out?
'cause it seems like a lot of hassle just to get a monitor connected...

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:02:04 am »
Opt, that's what I panned on using. It coverts the video and takes car of the sound. I just have this funny feeling if that someday down the road one of the original pieces will fail me and then I will be stuck putting a LCD in the cab and so I thought to get a new monitor and wire it JAMMA at the same time.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:33 pm »
I'm not sure I understand why you are going to rewire as Jamma?  That should have nothing to do with the longevity of the monitor and will just add to the cost.  As opt2not mentioned, if you go Jamma, you will also need a jamma converter for your DK board.  The converter will run you $45 plus the cost of your jamma harness (not to mention the time to swap everything).  You'll also need to spend some time figuring out how to connect the existing Nintendo power supply up to the jamma harness. Seems like the $25 adapter to go with the new monitor is the way to go. 

(better yet -  keep the existing monitor and cap it - if the burn is not bad)
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

kampcool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:58 pm »
What he said.......       :applaud:
You can do it, its easy peasy.

ted429

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 10:27:54 pm »
Well. Got my DK board today and wired it up out of the cab and it was working fine for about 5 mins and then it seems the power supply burnt up. I checked the output and it seems to be putting out 100 AC still but no DC voltage out to the board. How do I keep the Sanyo that needs 100AC but get a working power supply? Ugh.