Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: It's on like Donkey Kong Jr - A restoration  (Read 10814 times)

apocalypto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2020, 01:50:01 pm
    • My DK Jr Project
It's on like Donkey Kong Jr - A restoration
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:55:15 pm »
Hey y'all, welcome to my Donkey Kong Jr restore!

I came across a good condition, complete DK Jr machine on craigslist, the seller wanted $250 so I was intrigued. I went to check it out and discovered there was an issue with the monitor (the picture was shrunk horizontally and folding over from what I can tell). Anyway, it still felt like a good buy for a project piece.

I intend to restore it to original condition and put a Donkey Kong 1 board in there also.

I have posted about the monitor issue here:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107304.0

I intend to:

• Refinish the exterior - Bondo and paint
  • Add new T-Molding
  • Add a lock to the rear cabinet door
  • Add new sideart
  • Add new control panel instructions
  • Add below marquee instruction sticker
  • Repair Monitor
  • Install a Donkey Kong 1 board in addition to the DK Jr board
  • Install a high score save kit
  • Do anything you experts tell me I should do! :)

Here are some initial pics!  Tell me if you think it was a good deal for $250

The sides arent really yellow...

I assume this label means its a real nintendo donkey kong jr cabinet?

Is this a real, original donkey junior board?

looks like it's had a lot of playing time!

Buttons looks good, and I assume they are original.

This is not an original nintendo joystick is it?

Looks like some water damage under on this instruction sticker. Should be easy to replace right?

Control panel looks pretty good otherwise

Marquee and Bezel looks good too I think (marquee isn't faded, that's the camera flash)

Only downer is the squished monitor picture :(  I am hoping this will be an easy cap kit fix!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:13:31 pm by apocalypto »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:24:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: It's on like Donkey Kong Jr - A restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Looks good! Congrats on the deal!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:52:04 pm »
Looks good! Congrats on the deal!

Thanks! I am super excited about it and the adventure ahead.  :laugh:

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 02:35:08 pm »
whats with the monitor? It looks super skinny.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »
whats with the monitor? It looks super skinny.

I dont know for sure. But all signs are pointing to a Cap Kit as a fix.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 04:03:14 pm »
Awesome deal, not as great as my DKJr, but I had to drive into the middle of no-where to pick it up.

Mine came with the Braze Double Donkey Kong board, which has both DK1 and DKJr on it. You should look into that if you're planning on having both in there.

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:06:08 pm »
Awesome deal, not as great as my DKJr, but I had to drive into the middle of no-where to pick it up.

Mine came with the Braze Double Donkey Kong board, which has both DK1 and DKJr on it. You should look into that if you're planning on having both in there.

I thought about the double donkey kong board, but I cant get over how bad the sounds are on it.It is a real shame, otherwise it's a fantastic option!. Also, it's not original hardware, which is my end goal for the restoration. I need to look into methods of switching pcb's efficiently...

In case you havent compared the sound differences in double dk before:  http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=url&page=prod/ddk/sounds.html

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:26:55 am »
Nice pickup at that price.  Yeah, that joystick is not original.  You can either look for a used one, or buy new from mikesarcade.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »
In case you havent compared the sound differences in double dk before:  http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?action=url&page=prod/ddk/sounds.html
Yeah, after I picked it up I did a bit of research on the board and found Mike's sound comparison too. I know the sounds are off, but it wasn't a big deal for me since I was happy with the double option of that board. Good on you for going original.  :cheers:

paulliadis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2019, 03:45:59 pm
  • I'm just this guy, you know?
    • blog
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 02:29:20 pm »
Have you messed with the adjustment pots on the monitor board yet? I'd do that before doing the cap kit.

My Dk Junior monitor was a bit messed when I first brought it home. I adjusted the pots on the monitor and also VR1 on the pcb itself. It looks good now.
Actually, when I first plug in the game the pic is shifted to the left just a bit. After 3-5 minutes it rights itself. I'm sure I'll need a cap kit at some point, but I'm good for now.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but I would definitely start here (the easiest solution) and go from there.

Great looking DK Junior, by the way. I recently replaced the instruction card under my control panel with one I downloaded from Mike's Arcade.

Paul

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
Have you messed with the adjustment pots on the monitor board yet? I'd do that before doing the cap kit.

My Dk Junior monitor was a bit messed when I first brought it home. I adjusted the pots on the monitor and also VR1 on the pcb itself. It looks good now.
Actually, when I first plug in the game the pic is shifted to the left just a bit. After 3-5 minutes it rights itself. I'm sure I'll need a cap kit at some point, but I'm good for now.

I'm not saying this will fix your problem, but I would definitely start here (the easiest solution) and go from there.

Great looking DK Junior, by the way. I recently replaced the instruction card under my control panel with one I downloaded from Mike's Arcade.

Paul

Yeah I adjusted the pots on the board already. There's no way of getting the screen to occupy maximum width. Also the pots dont clear up the faded areas. I think it is in definite need of a cap fix.

Besides, the cap kit arrives today anyway :)

paulliadis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2019, 03:45:59 pm
  • I'm just this guy, you know?
    • blog
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 03:22:17 pm »
Good luck with it. Once you get that fixed, that's gonna be a really nice Dk Junior.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 06:18:42 pm »

Paul

Yeah I adjusted the pots on the board already. There's no way of getting the screen to occupy maximum width. Also the pots dont clear up the faded areas. I think it is in definite need of a cap fix.

Did you try adjusting the horizontal width coil by any chance? Just make sure you get the plastic adjustment kit from radio shack. The first time I messed with one of these I didn't know any better and attempted it with a standard allen wrench... not a particularly pleasant experience BTW. :dizzy:

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/04/21/adjusting-the-horizontal-width-coil/

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:07 pm »

Paul

Did you try adjusting the horizontal width coil by any chance? Just make sure you get the plastic adjustment kit from radio shack. The first time I messed with one of these I didn't know any better and attempted it with a standard allen wrench... not a particularly pleasant experience BTW. :dizzy:

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/2010/04/21/adjusting-the-horizontal-width-coil/

Yep I tried adjusting the width coil. I didn't have a plastic adjustment tool so I used an allen wrench attached to a drinking straw. I moved the coil in both directions plenty and it didn't do a thing. And I know what you mean, I touched the wrench afterwards and it was HOT!. I hope the width coil is working, it's weird how it didn't affect the screen... I cant find a replacement one anywhere.

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 08:13:29 am »
Oh when I did that I got a really good shock. If the coil doesn't look broken it probably isn't, it's just a magnet inside a cooper wire wrap after all. It's probably the caps like your guessing before. Just make sure the kit includes the ones that were referenced in that video in that link. Also I have seen Bob Roberts selling them in the past should it turn out you need one.

apocalypto

• Offline Offline
    • My DK Jr Project
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
Woohoo, fixed the screen problems with a deluxe cap kit.

Before:

After:

There is still some very slight flag waving which is intermittent. So I may try replacing the Filter cap at some point. I wish that had been in the cap kit.

Now I am done with fixing the screen, next step is body work!

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 01:41:04 am »
Well that cap-kit was definitely worth it :)

Nice catch. Yeah I'd replace that joystick.

WhereEaglesDare

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm
  • Shut Off All The Compactors on the Detention Level
    • My HomePage
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 09:56:58 am »
Nice job on the cap kit man!

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 10:06:39 am »
I'll be watching your thread! Just bought a Donkey Kong and I'm starting a restore project.  I'm sure we'll run into similar issues.

IrishKrush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2011, 10:55:33 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 06:36:01 am »
Nice cab. Keep up the good work I'm sure it will be amazing.