Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: control panel/joystick questions (N64, Atari 5200 related)  (Read 2071 times)

ragnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
control panel/joystick questions (N64, Atari 5200 related)
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:11 am »
I am a bit of a newbie so please be gentle.

I have a handful of requirements if I go ahead with a build.  The sticking points are that I want to emulate the N64 and Atari 5200 in addition to MAME.  The N64 because I simply want to and the 5200 is from my childhood.  I still have mine!  And a couple of spares.

I think the 5200 was pure analog.  I am assuming this based on my super breakout memories which seems to have had many, many positions along the x-axis supported.

What kind of controller is needed for the N64?  Is this a pure analog stick or a 49 way stick?  If it is 49 way, could an analog stick be used?

I am thinking that an analog stick is needed at this point.  But I still want 4/8 way support.

People seem to like the UltraStik 360.  Is it really that good.  I can't imagine that it can do a wonderful job of doing 4/8 way games.  Good, yes.  Just not wonderful.  Does it interface well with front ends?  Seeing hoe each game might need a different setting for this joystick.

I've already talked myself down from supporting Ikari Warriors via a rotary joystick.  Maybe on a follow up box.

I'll say nothing more and just see where the conversation goes.
MY FIRST BUILD:

Todd H

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
Re: control panel/joystick questions (N64, Atari 5200 related)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:59:15 am »
Go with the U360. It will handle everything you throw at it, from analog to 49 way to digital 2/4/8. I have them and they work perfectly with Atari 5200 and N64, although I switched to using an actual N64 controller connected via USB because finding the perfect button layout for N64 was pretty much impossible for my panel.

ragnar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 10:40:56 am
Re: control panel/joystick questions (N64, Atari 5200 related)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:08 am »
And they are equally good for the 4/8 way games.

I guess I am sold at this point.

Now if i can figure out where to get the money from to do this build.  It might have to wait a year but I am trying to figure out cost cutting tricks now ;-) to do it now.

I might have to do a control panel only build.  I might try to do a build that can be retrofited into a cabinet later.  Maybe that just means that i need to design the cabinet up front and then build the CP for it.
MY FIRST BUILD: