Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Recommendations on Arcade Cabinet Kits?  (Read 30161 times)

shateredsoul

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 08:23:51 pm
Recommendations on Arcade Cabinet Kits?
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:31:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I'm rather new to all of this and I'm in a stage in my life where I don't really have the tools or space to build an arcade cabinet... buit I may be willing to get a little in debt to get one of those arcade cabinets kits.  The things is, all the links or recommendations I hav efound are pretty old (slick stick is out of business). So I've come her to see if anyone has had any good experiences with any kits? I would like something sturdy.. which is why I have crossed x-arcade off my list, but that's about as much as I'd like to spend (800) for just the cabinet.  I can probably find an old monitor and I have a pc ready (installed with maximus arcade and almost fully configured and also hyperspin but needs a bit more work). 

I would also be open to suggestions of a guide you may know of that shows how to build an arcade with minimal tools ( I can invest in some tools... but none of the tools that take up too much space.  And whatever work I do would have to  be done outside of the apt or in the apt).

I know the best hting to do may be to wait until I do have a home or bigger apt but I can't wait any longer.. can anyone help with any suggestions?

Thanks!

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
Re: Recommendations on Arcade Cabinet Kits?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:44:56 pm »
I found this tabletop arcade.. which has the woodwork done, I can probably do the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PLAYER-BARTOP-COUNTERTOP-ARCADE-CABINET-KIT-MAME-TM_W0QQitemZ290389092508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c89e89c

for 30 dollars more they can make it out of Ultralite Medium-density fiberboard.. not sure if that's a good thing..

I'd be happy to have a fullsize cab though

Raitsa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 10:45:35 am
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:48:00 pm »
shateredsoul, you seen these?

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Vendors

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2019, 09:36:49 pm
  • Crowded elevators smell different to midgets...
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 02:56:38 pm »
Dont stratch it off yet...(x-arcade)
I went to www.arcadecab.com and I used my x-arcade tankstick...
I had to take my parts outside and then when finished i took them back in (lack of space)
Tools: router, skillsaw, drill, screwdriver, sawhorses...

I'm just saying...you'd be in less debt if you build. (plus more satifaction)

But if you are dead set on buying a pre-fab...

Do a search on Google for "arcade cab kits" There are several places to check out...( prices depend on what type of cab you want....upright, cocktail , caberet...etc.)

one problem you might encounter is shipping costs...(gonna bite the wallet maybe)

On my first cab I did the same comparison ...pre-fab or build?...
I decided to build and incorporate the tankstick..which when i found arcadecab.com I was happy...
Only problem though with the tankstick...Maximus and X-arcade wouldnt work right...so i went to Hyperspin...

I remember when I first came to this forum, there was a thread where one guys threw plastic down in his living room and he built/painted his cab everything...I couldnt believe his wife didnt kill him...i know mine would.
“If first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you..." ~ Jack Handy

DashRendar

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2015, 05:46:52 pm
  • "Don't get your servos in a twist pal."
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:41:20 pm »
You can do what most of us do- buy a used arcade cab and set it up for MAME.  You won't need to do much carpentry (if any).  Your money would be spent on things like the controls, video card, etc (which you'd need to buy with a kit anyway).

If you'd rather not restore an old cab (which are usually easy to find on your local Craigslist), you might take a look at North Coast Custom Arcades.  Very nice, and within your budget.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks for the link to the wiki, would anyone recommend anyone as better than another?

and garnerb350,

Do you have a guide on how to build a cab only using those tools? can you share the plans you used or some general advice?

I might start thinking of this as a summer project. (can you share pics of your cab? :)

HanoiBoi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:19 pm »
I agree with Dash.  For just starting, find yourself a cabinet on craigslist, ebay, etc. and add to it.  I did that and got a decent machine running for $225.

For controls, I think I speak for the group when I say check out Ultimarc.com and GroovyGameGear.com.  If you're building, they'll have the buttons, joysticks, keyboard decoders, trackballs, etc. that you'll need.

I picked up two Mag Stik Plus joysticks, an IPAC board and about 20 pushbuttons all for about $200.  I used existing MDF for the control Panel (CP), an existing monitor and an existing PC and I was rockin'.

Oh, I just added a spinner too (Turbo Twist 2) for about $100.

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:05:13 pm »
I bought my control panel from Scott over at Mameroom. I know he makes kits as well. Here's the link...

http://www.mameroom.com/home.asp

Personally, I'd just find an old cabinet and go from there. That's what I did. I found a decent dynamo cabinet for $100 and with a little elbow grease built a pretty decent cab.

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »
That website i gave ya has the plans and instructions...perfect for us noobs...

I also agree with Dash...if you can find a used-good condition cab...that could be more up your alley...( throw in PC and buttons and rocknroll)
Ive got 3 used cabs and they are old 4-way verticals
..I plan on maming those when i get around to them...
“If first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you..." ~ Jack Handy

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »
Thanks for all the responses everyone! I'm not used to getting responses so soon, I have spent most of my time on the Maximus Arcade forum.  I feel like i'm one of 5 people using that forum still so this is really great! Thank you!

So, the wifey pretty much told me she'd kill me if I ordered/ built a cab right now because of our room situation.  We're a young couple without kids, but there's not guarantee that we'll be living in the same place a year or two from now.  So I thought maybe it would be a good idea to build a control panel sense and then add it to a cab.  Is that a bad idea? I've noticed a lot of ppl build the cab first and then the control panel, and also... if I retro fit an arcade wouldn't it be hard to attach a control panel that wasn't designed for the cabs dimensions?

I just saw a old street fighter II cab (gutted, and w/ some damaged corners) being given away on craigs list.  I would have taken it, but I guess I don't want to ruin my marriage so early on =/ . 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:03:40 pm »
+1 on Mameroom.  (Now North Coast Customs).

I would not hesitate to build a 2 player CP.  I would buy the empty shell and go from there.  It comes packed flat in a box and it takes minimal tools to get it all assembled.  Their prices are very reasonable.  Then you can slowly get all the parts you need to wire it up.  You'll be glad you did.

P.S. - Here's a review I did of Mameroom's quad panel:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=79636.0

Good Luck!

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:52:03 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:40:01 pm »
Thanks for the info Delusional,

I was wondering, do you know a trackball that would fit without any modifications? I probably can figure out the joysticks and buttons (I'm probably going to go with Happ ones, because according to what I read they have a longer reach which makes the wiring process easier.  I like the 4 player panel.. maybe i'll invest in that.  I think for now though I'll start picking out the buttons, the track ball, joysticks, and p1 trough p4 buttons.  I'll look through website to buy the part and probably post a new thread to detail my misadventures in building the joystick. I also noticed that p3 and p4 only have four buttons, have you ever found a game where this was a limitation?

I also noticed you maid a guide on wiring an arcade contro! This should be helpful, now I'm off to figure out how  arcade buttons work.... and switches, trackballs, ipacs and stuff.. As you can see, this will be a long learning process.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
Yes, the Mameroom control panel is made for the Happ trackball so should fit like a glove.

Also, keep in mind (if you purchase the groovygamegear.com TT2 spinner which most people do) you'll have to tell Scott at Mameroom to make the hole on the panel for the spinner in the standard button size -  which fits the GGG TT2 spinner perfectly.  I believe it's cut by default a bit bigger for other spinners.

D

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:18:49 am »

So, the wifey pretty much told me she'd kill me if I ordered/ built a cab right now because of our room situation. 

Well you just need to tell her "SHUT YO MOUTH WOMAN! THIS BE MY HOUSE!, GET IN THERE AND MAKE MY DINNER BEFO I SLAP YO FACE!"

Hahahah , I know what you are going through. Been there, done that!...To make things worse, my wife and I had a 2year old when I caught the BYOAC bug...My wife thought (still thinks) I was crazy, and that all i cared about was doing a crazy expensive hobby. It took some push & pulling...and there was time I even thought I was crazy for doing this. My worst fear was building the control panel...(being a noob, seeing a control panel the first time, it is quite intimidating). I decided that I would look & buy a pre-built CP. Came across the X-arcade Tankstick.(2-players controls and trackball)...They run about 200 bucks and I saw that they had a lifetime warranty and that you could get adapters to where you could hook them up to PS & X-box and such. At the same time, I knew I had the plans to build a cab using the tankstick, so I figured I should be good to go...Well...its been a year now since i have built the cab and i haven't had any problems. My wife was actually blown away when she saw my cab. She was calling her friends and saying "OMG look what my husband did...I am so proud!, come over and see this!" Meanwhile I was looking at her and thinking " Wait...didn't you say that I'm a idiot Blah Blah Blah!" ...Once your wife see your accomplishment, She'll probably jump on your bandwagon. She wont let you go far, but she'll be good. You just have to have some patience and some coaxing.

Right now I have 3 gutted cabs waiting to be fixed up...A friend's wife called me and she has several computers from her job that they have to get rid of...so she giving them to me....I'm really excited...My wife thinks i'm crazy, but she's happy for me...

I agree with Delusional...dont hesitate...
If you want something quick and fast and you dont mind paying...go with X-Arcade...
If you want the WHOLE enchilada...(spinner,trackball, 2,4, 8-way, Tron/Star Wars yoke, jager dispenser, etc)
Buy/build a shell and parts and Build Your Own Arcade Controls

Another thing also, and seriously, it helps...try to get the book by Saint: it offers a bunch of info/advice/and medication to help you with the addiction of building an arcade machine. Its a tab bit outdated, but with it and his website (here) you are good to go.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 12:03:25 pm »
You may want to check out this topic too with vids on how to do stuff:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80229.0

It's actually easier than it looks.

D

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:52 pm »
I found this tabletop arcade.. which has the woodwork done, I can probably do the rest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PLAYER-BARTOP-COUNTERTOP-ARCADE-CABINET-KIT-MAME-TM_W0QQitemZ290389092508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439c89e89c

for 30 dollars more they can make it out of Ultralite Medium-density fiberboard.. not sure if that's a good thing..

I'd be happy to have a fullsize cab though

That's from Emdkay. Click the link in my signature.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »
Cool! Thanks for the videos. I'm probably going to start off with the 2player one arcade control set. I also stumbled upon this book (I think a moderator from these forums wrote it) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764556169/ref=s9_simi_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1B09Q6RWCQG8CBFEYGTS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I can get the kindle version for like 11 bucks and just read it on my pc.  Is this book worth it? I know somethings might be out of date, but I imagine somethings stay the same (wood work for example).

You may want to check out this topic too with vids on how to do stuff:  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80229.0

It's actually easier than it looks.

D

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 06:24:05 pm »
Yes, the BYOAC founder, SAINT wrote that book.  It's worth it to purchase.

D

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 06:35:30 pm »
I just noticed this! Yeah.. my wife would have killed me.  She already says I have too many wires laying around. I wish I had done this when I was living with my friends but, I really was worse of financially then. That's also probably why i'm going with the 2player arcade.

I'm probably going to order the prebuilt 2player one from northcoast, get happ buttons, the tt track ball that Delusional recommended, and hopefully I can get some light guns as well. So far the ones that work best on an lcd tv are a diy project that requires soldering and having an old light gun.. a guy on the hyperspin forums is selling some prebuilt, very nice ones, for 250 for a set of guncons. 250! He has received good reviews.. but I think i'll wait until the company that makes the board releases their own prefab guns (which they will be doing eventually i've read).

Would these be good tools? That is.. if I decided to build my own? (i'm really going by affordability and reviews)

http://www.amazon.com/45-Piece-Power-Tool-Wood-Accessory/dp/B001FKHTKI (router bits)
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G3312-Saw-Horse-Brackets/dp/B0000DD1MP/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264634958&sr=1-5 (saw horse brackets)
http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Skil-5400-01-RT-4-Inch-Circular/dp/B0013MZFT0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264634904&sr=1-5

Also,

I know this is a dumb question... the router and wood working bits... you attach them to the drill right?

Also, what else would I require? would any of these tools be useful in restoring a cabinet (which is what I hope to do later)

Thanks!

Dont stratch it off yet...(x-arcade)
I went to www.arcadecab.com and I used my x-arcade tankstick...
I had to take my parts outside and then when finished i took them back in (lack of space)
Tools: router, skillsaw, drill, screwdriver, sawhorses...

I'm just saying...you'd be in less debt if you build. (plus more satifaction)

But if you are dead set on buying a pre-fab...

Do a search on Google for "arcade cab kits" There are several places to check out...( prices depend on what type of cab you want....upright, cocktail , caberet...etc.)

one problem you might encounter is shipping costs...(gonna bite the wallet maybe)

On my first cab I did the same comparison ...pre-fab or build?...
I decided to build and incorporate the tankstick..which when i found arcadecab.com I was happy...
Only problem though with the tankstick...Maximus and X-arcade wouldnt work right...so i went to Hyperspin...

I remember when I first came to this forum, there was a thread where one guys threw plastic down in his living room and he built/painted his cab everything...I couldnt believe his wife didnt kill him...i know mine would.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »
Your best bet, try to find an old arcade cabinet on your local craigslist.  Usually $100 or under.  Maybe even free if you get lucky.  Where are you located?

It's easier to restore one than building one from scratch.  A lot cheaper too.  That's what I did for all of my MAME cabs.  (new project pics coming soon).  You simply gut it out, bondo and paint it and replace it with new PC parts and such.

As for the router bits, you just can't use it without the router itself.  There is no way to hold the drill steady enough.  You don't really need a router anyway (especially if you buy a used cabinet).  A router is used to cut out the groove for the t-molding (which if you get a used cabinet you don't need) and also to flush mount trackballs and/or joysticks.  But if you buy a pre-fab, you probably won't need it either.  And routers are pricey.

If you do decide to build it yourself, get the blank panel and the following tools:

1)  BYOAC Wiki - http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Main_Page
2)  A good set of Ratchet Crimpers, similar to this:  http://www.sherco-auto.com/wiring.htm  (don't cheap out on the cheap one!  Trust me!)
3)  Wire strippers
4)  Quick connects - If you buy Happ buttons with Cherry switches (.187") you'll need "FDV1-187" connectors from http://www.sherco-auto.com/wiring.htm .  If you get them from GroovyGameGear.com they no longer use Cherry switches, but E-Switch™ instead, which is a bit bigger.  You'll need "FDV1-2" connectors instead.
5)  Bell Wire (found in Home Depot in the doorbell section).  Best bang for your buck.
6)  Controls (joystick, buttons, etc)
7)  Keyboard encoder (I-pac http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html) or (Key-Wiz http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_80&products_id=303)
8)  PATIENCE!  :)

And above all else, we can ALWAYS help you here at the forums if you need help during the process.

DeLuSioNaL29

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 09:16:05 pm »
So, the wifey pretty much told me she'd kill me if I ordered/ built a cab right now because of our room situation.  
Well you just need to tell her "SHUT YO MOUTH WOMAN! THIS BE MY HOUSE!, GET IN THERE AND MAKE MY DINNER BEFO I SLAP YO FACE!"

Now, I now that garner350 downplayed/backpedalled what he said here, but it still needs to be said ... if you think this, even as a joke, then you probably will end up being able to have as many arcade cabinets as you want ... because there won't be anybody around to say otherwise. If you want to know how much Astroglide is required in order to have intimate relations with Robotron, I suggest you run over to KLOV. I don't think that I have ever seen somebody who actually has both a wife and and arcade (used here in the proper sense to represent more than a single cabinet) ever say anything even remotely resembling "THIS BE MY HOUSE".

It seems to run to the contrary ... the folks who actually have a reasonable number of arcade cabinets are actually nice, normal (really, they are) guys who enjoy nice, healthy relationships with their wives.

There are a couple of questions that nobody asked before you start making decisions about cabinets and kits.

Do you just want to play a bunch of the games that you loved or are you jonesing for a big wooden box that reminds you of how you felt when you played those games ? *I* may need need the full cabinet and immersive experience (blacklights, cigarette burns, big hair, etc), but that doesn't mean that you do. If you are happy with arcade controls, then go for a countertop machine or a just a control panel ... whatever fits in the space you have.

Do you care about things like genuine arcade monitors or is there a specific game with specialty controls that you just HAVE TO play ?

If you want a fullsize arcade cabinet and want to do it on the cheap, then ignore all of these guys who have never actually done that. Going cheap is not an easy choice in a community like this. I know lots of folks who do it all the time, but they definitely don't post their projects here, despite knowing more than most. You can assemble a MAME cab for under $100 cash if you have patience (and having a stockpile of controls helps ... if you don't then you can still do it for $200 or $300).

Now, if you want of keep a lean budget, then buying a big kit from one of the fullsize cabinet vendors won't fit your bill. There are a couple of countertop kit vendors who I would feel free to recommend, even though I have never bought a countertop kit (word of mouth is a GoodThing(tm)). EMDKay and PeteDiak come to mind there.

I see one poster in this thread who used a gutted Dynamo cabinet. Some will say that $100 is too much for a gutted Dynamo (even one with a monitor) ... but cheapass collector pricing doesn't always take into account the fact that some of us REALLY want to play games NOW, so I can't fault him for that (hell, the choice of a gutted Dynamo is another GoodThing(tm)). Since I have the space, I always recommend grabbing up an old generic cab (not a classic or anything rare) and using that as a base for a MAME project. It is the cheapest way to get going.

If you are on a budget, I would also steer you away from the "normal" CP shops or X-Arcade. I don't have anything against them specifically (and I don't hate X-Arcade as much as others do ... their encoders are pretty nifty). OK, so Scott (MAMERoom aka GreatSomethingSomething) and I butted heads some time back because he was behaving like an idiot, but I'll never denigrate the quality of his work or his hardware. The time it takes to craft a quality product, especially if customization is required, costs money and you may not be willing to pay that much.

Take the time to cruise eBay -- I paid less for the last batch of *10* trackballs that I picked up (locally FTW!) than you can buy a single trackball for new from any of the vendors here (and I love our vendors). It took me a couple of hours, a bit of elbow grease, some WD-40 and some 3-in-1 oil and I ended up with 9 (of 10) perfect trackballs that you couldn't tell from NIB.

Having said that, be sure to check with our vendors  and don't ever order from Happ directly unless you are absolutely sure that you can't get a better price (which does happen ... I have a Happ retail account to prove it!).

And I disagree with Delusional about some of his wiring advice, but that really is a matter of personal preference. I would say, if you aren't looking to build multiple cabinets, then spend your money on better wire and get a cheap crimper (if you are building one cabinet or control panel on a budget, then just use pliers!). If you are looking to build multiple cabinets, then buy good wire and a good crimper.

My best advice for someone starting out who doesn't really know what they want and doesn't want to think about it... grab up a cheap generic cabinet at auction, set up a standard 2-player SF2 control panel and get to playing. Then, as you desire, flesh out your design and expand the number of controls.

At the end of the day, the more you know, the more you can save.

I brought my first MAME cabinet (build from a generic cocktail) in on a nice budget under C$600 (3-sided cocktail, horizontal side in standard 2-player SF layout, no trackball or spinner, IPac2 and computer speakers). I haven't spent more than half of that on a MAME cabinet since, despite the fact that I like to use ArcadeVGAs and JPACs which are both fairly pricey (to be fair, I do have a MAME project awaiting spinners, wheels and pedals that will break that price point due to the controls involved).

Better advice is to figure out what you want to play and start from there.

EDIT: Man, that was a truckload of typos ... and there are still a couple that I am too lazy to fix!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:31:27 pm by CheffoJeffo »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 11:10:13 pm »
Thanks for the tips delusional.  Just to be clear, these tools are in case I decide to build my own control panel? or are these the tools I can use to set up the north coast control panel? I probably will build the control panel using the Classic Controller kit (here's the link http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=CLASSICCPKIT.

Then I'll probalby buy an old cabinet.. and after I'm yelled at and patch things up I can start work on it. My neighbor, who's more familiar with building things, said he'd be interested in helping.  I'm a little sad about one thing though, the pc I was hoping to use (a really new pc, core i7, 8 gb ram, ati hd radeon 4850, 64 bit) won't run blaz blue.. yet my underpowerd laptop will... in slowmotion but it does run it.

Thanks Delusional, you have always been very encouraging and always tehre to answer questions on the maximus forums and here.

Your best bet, try to find an old arcade cabinet on your local craigslist.  Usually $100 or under.  Maybe even free if you get lucky.  Where are you located?

It's easier to restore one than building one from scratch.  A lot cheaper too.  That's what I did for all of my MAME cabs.  (new project pics coming soon).  You simply gut it out, bondo and paint it and replace it with new PC parts and such.

As for the router bits, you just can't use it without the router itself.  There is no way to hold the drill steady enough.  You don't really need a router anyway (especially if you buy a used cabinet).  A router is used to cut out the groove for the t-molding (which if you get a used cabinet you don't need) and also to flush mount trackballs and/or joysticks.  But if you buy a pre-fab, you probably won't need it either.  And routers are pricey.

If you do decide to build it yourself, get the blank panel and the following tools:

1)  BYOAC Wiki - http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Main_Page
2)  A good set of Ratchet Crimpers, similar to this:  http://www.sherco-auto.com/wiring.htm  (don't cheap out on the cheap one!  Trust me!)
3)  Wire strippers
4)  Quick connects - If you buy Happ buttons with Cherry switches (.187") you'll need "FDV1-187" connectors from http://www.sherco-auto.com/wiring.htm .  If you get them from GroovyGameGear.com they no longer use Cherry switches, but E-Switch™ instead, which is a bit bigger.  You'll need "FDV1-2" connectors instead.
5)  Bell Wire (found in Home Depot in the doorbell section).  Best bang for your buck.
6)  Controls (joystick, buttons, etc)
7)  Keyboard encoder (I-pac http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html) or (Key-Wiz http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_80&products_id=303)
8)  PATIENCE!  :)

And above all else, we can ALWAYS help you here at the forums if you need help during the process.

DeLuSioNaL29

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:22 pm »
Hey Cheffo,

Thanks for saying this, and for making those good points.  I didn't mean to portray my wife as " hen pecking and naggy".  I can see how my statements could have encouraged those perceptions.  My wife is actually very outgoing and enjoys doing exciting things.  She tolerates my hobbie far more than any other person would and I love her for that.  Currently I'm a graduate student, so her concern isn't only about the space but me having enough time for us and things we both enjoy.

Now moving on to your questions

I do have some fond memories of playing teename mutant ninja turtles 2, the simpsons, and street fighter 2 in the arcades.. but also street fighter alpha 3, snk vs capcom 2, and guilty gear. I also spent a bunch of time on home systems (much more than arcades) so I was hoping to integrate home consoles as well.  I saw a project where I saw someone integrate plugs for many console game controllers into the side of his cab (nes, snes, n64, etc), but I figured I could use 2 of my wireless xbox 360 controllers and have 2 holsters for them on the side of the cab.

I have an 18 inch monitor (wide screen lcd) which I have felt was always too small.. but maybe it'll be fine for this project.  I guess I'm worried about how a wide screen lcd flat screen will fit in the a cab that was designed for a different size monitor.

I think I'm going to buy the arcade book so I can even know what everyone is talking about.  I do have many questions.. quesitons that I feel I can answer if I made time to read more (it's hard to make time to read right now... I read for a living so it's a lot easier when I get help and advice from people, and to be honest.  I find it a lot more interesting to have a conversation on the forum because people have different opinion on how to do things and because it's more interesting to interact with people than to read on my own.  It makes me feel more excited).

In the meanwhile, I would love to hear more about your advice on wiring.

Honestly, I want something that would make someone.. even someone who didn't like game go "wow".  The pc has dual pc connectability, so I also thought that I could have a TV in the same room and have the pc broadcast the same signal to both pcs, so if I decided to watch a movie .. or if I wanted to play a console game on the tv I could easily do that.

thanks for the info! I appreciate it.  Hopefully I'll have better questions when I get more reading and preperation done. I'll definitely check ebay first! 

Thanks!

Now, I now that garner350 downplayed/backpedalled what he said here, but it still needs to be said ... if you think this, even as a joke, then you probably will end up being able to have as many arcade cabinets as you want ... because there won't be anybody around to say otherwise. If you want to know how much Astroglide is required in order to have intimate relations with Robotron, I suggest you run over to KLOV. I don't think that I have ever seen somebody who actually has both a wife and and arcade (used here in the proper sense to represent more than a single cabinet) ever say anything even remotely resembling "THIS BE MY HOUSE".

It seems to run to the contrary ... the folks who actually have a reasonable number of arcade cabinets are actually nice, normal (really, they are) guys who enjoy nice, healthy relationships with their wives.

There are a couple of questions that nobody asked before you start making decisions about cabinets and kits.

Do you just want to play a bunch of the games that you loved or are you jonesing for a big wooden box that reminds you of how you felt when you played those games ? *I* may need need the full cabinet and immersive experience (blacklights, cigarette burns, big hair, etc), but that doesn't mean that you do. If you are happy with arcade controls, then go for a countertop machine or a just a control panel ... whatever fits in the space you have.

Do you care about things like genuine arcade monitors or is there a specific game with specialty controls that you just HAVE TO play ?

If you want a fullsize arcade cabinet and want to do it on the cheap, then ignore all of these guys who have never actually done that. Going cheap is not an easy choice in a community like this. I know lots of folks who do it all the time, but they definitely don't post their projects here, despite knowing more than most. You can assemble a MAME cab for under $100 cash if you have patience (and having a stockpile of controls helps ... if you don't then you can still do it for $200 or $300).

Now, if you want of keep a lean budget, then buying a big kit from one of the fullsize cabinet vendors won't fit your bill. There are a couple of countertop kit vendors who I would feel free to recommend, even though I have never bought a countertop kit (word of mouth is a GoodThing(tm)). EMDKay and PeteDiak come to mind there.

I see one poster in this thread who used a gutted Dynamo cabinet. Some will say that $100 is too much for a gutted Dynamo (even one with a monitor) ... but cheapass collector pricing doesn't always take into account the fact that some of us REALLY want to play games NOW, so I can't fault him for that (hell, the choice of a gutted Dynamo is another GoodThing(tm)). Since I have the space, I always recommend grabbing up an old generic cab (not a classic or anything rare) and using that as a base for a MAME project. It is the cheapest way to get going.

If you are on a budget, I would also steer you away from the "normal" CP shops or X-Arcade. I don't have anything against them specifically (and I don't hate X-Arcade as much as others do ... their encoders are pretty nifty). OK, so Scott (MAMERoom aka GreatSomethingSomething) and I butted heads some time back because he was behaving like an idiot, but I'll never denigrate the quality of his work or his hardware. The time it takes to craft a quality product, especially if customization is required, costs money and you may not be willing to pay that much.

Take the time to cruise eBay -- I paid less for the last batch of *10* trackballs that I picked up (locally FTW!) than you can buy a single trackball for new from any of the vendors here (and I love our vendors). It took me a couple of hours, a bit of elbow grease, some WD-40 and some 3-in-1 oil and I ended up with 9 (of 10) perfect trackballs that you couldn't tell from NIB.

Having said that, be sure to check with our vendors  and don't ever order from Happ directly unless you are absolutely sure that you can't get a better price (which does happen ... I have a Happ retail account to prove it!).

And I disagree with Delusional about some of his wiring advice, but that really is a matter of personal preference. I would say, if you aren't looking to build multiple cabinets, then spend your money on better wire and get a cheap crimper (if you are building one cabinet or control panel on a budget, then just use pliers!). If you are looking to build multiple cabinets, then buy good wire and a good crimper.

My best advice for someone starting out who doesn't really know what they want and doesn't want to think about it... grab up a cheap generic cabinet at auction, set up a standard 2-player SF2 control panel and get to playing. Then, as you desire, flesh out your design and expand the number of controls.

At the end of the day, the more you know, the more you can save.

I brought my first MAME cabinet (build from a generic cocktail) in on a nice budget under C$600 (3-sided cocktail, horizontal side in standard 2-player SF layout, no trackball or spinner, IPac2 and computer speakers). I haven't spent more than half of that on a MAME cabinet since, despite the fact that I like to use ArcadeVGAs and JPACs which are both fairly pricey (to be fair, I do have a MAME project awaiting spinners, wheels and pedals that will break that price point due to the controls involved).

Better advice is to figure out what you want to play and start from there.

EDIT: Man, that was a truckload of typos ... and there are still a couple that I am too lazy to fix!

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 10:19:02 am »
I cant stop laughing at Cheffo's post...

THIS BE MY HOUSE! (I was watching Dave Chappelle during that time)

Shatered, we know that your wife isnt "hen pecking & naggy"...I was just doing a silly comment...its a common joke that flies around here... (man....maybe i need a "Dont try this at home disclaimer..." :laugh2:)

I agree totally with what Cheffo said,...

Cant find an auction, go to craigslist...

I hope I dont seem like I am/was backpeddling/or being flipfloppy...\

The reason I brought up X-arcade, was because I have one and I guess I went the route of building around it...I'm not a X-arcade pro-supporter, but Im not a hater of it...its never given me any problems...and i know you mentioned something of maybe just getting a prefab control panel...so i brought that up...as an option

When you multi-task at 2-3 different things and try to respond to a question, you sometimes get mixed up.... and I am bad for that...so I'm sorry if I confused anybody. :cheers:

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:39:03 am »
Hey garner,

Yeah I'm probably going to go with a used cab.   That probably won't be until the summer, but between now and then I thought I'd work on the controls.  Can you think of any problems I might run into if I go this route? For example... it would really suck if I couldn't fit the controls onto the cabinet because I didn't build them to the specification of the cabinet.  I was just thinking of using the northcoast 2player and track ball controls.

Oh and I'm glad people know that.. I just wanted to make sure I didn't come across that way when talking about my wife.

Anyways, thanks for the input.  I'm scowering ebay looking for a set of buttons and joysticks to see if I can find something that's a good deal.

**edit**

I forgot to ask.. so if I order the control panel (just the wood work) from northcoast aka mameroom, I'll have to solder right? I'm okay with learning to do this, it actually seems pretty interesting. Can anyone recommend a good soldering machine? Not the best of the best, but good and not something that's too cheap.

I cant stop laughing at Cheffo's post...

THIS BE MY HOUSE! (I was watching Dave Chappelle during that time)

Shatered, we know that your wife isnt "hen pecking & naggy"...I was just doing a silly comment...its a common joke that flies around here... (man....maybe i need a "Dont try this at home disclaimer..." :laugh2:)

I agree totally with what Cheffo said,...

Cant find an auction, go to craigslist...

I hope I dont seem like I am/was backpeddling/or being flipfloppy...\

The reason I brought up X-arcade, was because I have one and I guess I went the route of building around it...I'm not a X-arcade pro-supporter, but Im not a hater of it...its never given me any problems...and i know you mentioned something of maybe just getting a prefab control panel...so i brought that up...as an option

When you multi-task at 2-3 different things and try to respond to a question, you sometimes get mixed up.... and I am bad for that...so I'm sorry if I confused anybody. :cheers:

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:51:30 am by shateredsoul »

DashRendar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »
**edit**

I forgot to ask.. so if I order the control panel (just the wood work) from northcoast aka mameroom, I'll have to solder right? I'm okay with learning to do this, it actually seems pretty interesting. Can anyone recommend a good soldering machine? Not the best of the best, but good and not something that's too cheap.

Getting a control panel kit doesn't affect soldering or not- what affects that is what you choose to get for controls.

For my project, I'm using U360 sticks.  These joysticks connect to the PC through USB cables.  They have an additional (optional) cable that connects the buttons to the joystick.

This particular setup requires me to crimp ends onto the button wires, which connect to the terminals on the buttons.  So there's no soldering involved- just need a crimping tool.

If you use a keyboard encoder (like an IPAC), I think they have screws that let you connect up the wires.

If you are restoring a arcade instead of using MAME and a PC, I think that's when you would need to do some soldering.
WANTED: Somebody to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. P.O. Box 322, Oakview, CA 93022. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. Safety not guaranteed. I have only done this once before.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14:50 pm »
Oh? Why would you need that wire to connect to the buttons?

So when you crimp wires, you join the wires?

Yeah I was thinking of getting the ipac so it looks like I can avoid soldering for now =).

thanks for the info

**edit**

Getting a control panel kit doesn't affect soldering or not- what affects that is what you choose to get for controls.

For my project, I'm using U360 sticks.  These joysticks connect to the PC through USB cables.  They have an additional (optional) cable that connects the buttons to the joystick.

This particular setup requires me to crimp ends onto the button wires, which connect to the terminals on the buttons.  So there's no soldering involved- just need a crimping tool.

If you use a keyboard encoder (like an IPAC), I think they have screws that let you connect up the wires.

If you are restoring a arcade instead of using MAME and a PC, I think that's when you would need to do some soldering.

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 01:17:16 pm »
If you buy an economy line encoder (like the keywiz40-eco for instance), there are no screw down terminals to attach the wires to.  For that model (and other similar ones), you have to solder the wire directly to the board.  If you don't want to deal with soldering or you don't even have the capability to do it (tools, skills, time, etc), you can spend a little extra and get the upgraded version that has the terminals.  I personally value my time and it saved me a lot of effort getting the upgrade.

Anyway, soldering or no soldering depends on what you choose to put in your cab.  There's usually a no-solder way of doing anything!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »
You need to watch this video again.  It explains about the screw terminals (no soldering required)   ;D

Also, check out the grounding video (shows wire joined by crimping)

D

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:47:44 pm »
If you are not dealing with components that are already soldered (e.g. doing board repair), then you do not need to solder anything. There are choices that you may make that will require soldering (e,g, bkenobi's example of the economy encoder as opposed to one with crew terminals or a wiring harness), but soldering isn't required for MAMEing (although it is somewhat fun and good practice for graduation to the "real thing").

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:16 pm »
Ahh good to hear that I won't have to solder.  I was actually looking forward to doing that, because someday I think it would  be great to set it up connections for older system controllers (i.e. hooking up an actual nes or snes controller).

Delusional, I got through part of your first video and it looks really helpful.  I think I need to review it a bit more, because to me a lot of the concepts don't make sense yet (daisy chaining for example, if they are all connected I don't understand how the ipac can know the difference between the signals it receives .. I mean if they are all connected, and they connect at the same point on the ipac, then how does the ipac distinguish between a button press between player 1 and 2 or even between all 6 or 8 buttons used by player one. For now the beginning part of the video is probably the most useful since I'm just trying to get the ideas down.

I also founds some other videos that show how to fix buttons and one of them actually showing them install the buttons, just incase it's useful to other newbies like me.  I do wish I could find a video like the second one where they didn't cut off and skip ahead to where everything is already wired.  It looks manageable though.

So my plan so far is:

1. Buy buttons, joystick, and trackball now
2. March order control panel (2 player one from northcost) (wire it from march to june on weekends)
3. Find an old cab during the summer (start looking in may).. goal is to find an old street fighter cab that has already been gutted. Fix the cab duirng the summer and maybe some side art and a self designed marquee (I'm not sure if i'm going to go with the standard MAME or make up a name, but I definitely want more console characters on there)
4. Buy light guns with these http://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html boards sometime during the Fall, hopefully they release the prefabricated ones
5. In the fall, make/buy xbox 360 controller holsters on the side for console games and p3 and p4 for mame, wire it to my tv as a second monitor
6. After that (probably after xmas) make decisions of whether I want it to self boot straight into a FE or if I care as much.  I might decide that the best thing is to have it self boot into windows media center, since I have figured out how to make it launch Maximus, and I could probably figure out how to make it launch Hyperspin. If I want it to be setup as a cabinet, I can just launch maximus before friends come over.
*edit* 7. I also have a xbox 360 guitar which works great on my pc.  I installed guitar hero world tour on my pc and it launches perfectly from maximus

Does that seem like a realistic plan? I'd rather overestimate how much time it will take than underestimate. I think right now I may work on getting a video up on my FE setup so far (the only thing I have setup so far) to receive opinions.

and this one shows step by step what it should look like

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:00:15 pm by shateredsoul »

DashRendar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 05:30:41 pm »
Sounds good, but I bet you could get all the wiring of your controls done in one evening.   :applaud:

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 07:03:11 pm »
Sounds good, but I bet you could get all the wiring of your controls done in one evening.   :applaud:

Oh, much faster than I thought.  Well then.. I'll probably have many emulators to configure. So I can use that extra time to test and configure the controller settings.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 07:32:44 pm »

Oh, much faster than I thought.  Well then.. I'll probably have many emulators to configure. So I can use that extra time to test and configure the controller settings.

can someone help me with picking the buttons? Just so I don't get the wrong parts.

After looking at Delusionals comments..

"4)  Quick connects - If you buy Happ buttons with Cherry switches (.187") you'll need "FDV1-187" connectors from http://www.sherco-auto.com/wiring.htm .  If you get them from GroovyGameGear.com they no longer use Cherry switches, but E-Switch™ instead, which is a bit bigger.  You'll need "FDV1-2" connectors instead."

I was wondering which type of buttons would people recommend? I search on ebay and I find works with jamma, works with mame, does this mean the same thing?

Concave buttons (just meands they dip in right?)

and it looks like ebay is actually more expensive.

for this http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=CLASSICCPKIT control panel, what buttons woudl work? I want all 6 buttons for each player to match.  Blue and red, and nice black joysticks (I've used cheapy ones at the arcade and want to avoid those).  I did see where it said "e switch" on the description of the buttons.

Should I just avoid those and try to go with the cherry switches? All the tutorials I could find were based on cherry switches.

I guess what would help is if someone could help me figure out what size buttons would work with the control panel,and then I can choose the colors and knowing whether e-switches work the same as cherry switches (if not I'd rather stick to cherry). And where do i buyt fdv1-2 connectors?

I'm worried about buying parts that won't fit or won't work together

garnerb350

• Offline Offline
    • Hyperspin
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 11:49:16 am »
here's some options...
http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/pushbuttons.shtml
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73&sort=20a&page=2

(might catch hell on this but WTH) To me Cherry switches & E switches is like comparing Fords & Chevys...its just a different brand of that type of switch...

Disregard the "FDV1-2"....( that the auto supply company personal  "search" name....) What you mean to say is .187 female connectors or just plain "wire connectors"...

Connectors, you can find them at Lowes/HDepot/Harbor Freight/Radio Shack/anyplace that sells electrical supplies...hell even amazon sells em...
http://www.amazon.com/22-18-Guage-Female-Disconnect-100pcs/dp/B001HTB13S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264782703&sr=8-1

Buttons depend on what type of control panel you are using...wooden or metal and they are different thickness/types of sizes...but the most common pushbuttons are HAPPS pushbuttons...Look at the links above and you'll see the differences

Shatered...here some more info you can read when you get time...
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40:05 pm »
Thanks Garner,

The link is helpful, I downloaded the newbie guide so I can take a look at that over the weekend.  I appreciate the advice.

I was thinking of getting this classic controller kit http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=CLASSICCPKIT

I wish I could get the japanese style layout though (where the 6 buttons are curved), I also saw the hybrid neo geo street fighter layout.. nice!

I think I'll give them a call to see if they can customize it for me.. hopefully for not too much more.

-Shatered

here's some options...
http://www.lizardlick.com/pages/pushbuttons.shtml
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73&sort=20a&page=2

(might catch hell on this but WTH) To me Cherry switches & E switches is like comparing Fords & Chevys...its just a different brand of that type of switch...

Disregard the "FDV1-2"....( that the auto supply company personal  "search" name....) What you mean to say is .187 female connectors or just plain "wire connectors"...

Connectors, you can find them at Lowes/HDepot/Harbor Freight/Radio Shack/anyplace that sells electrical supplies...hell even amazon sells em...
http://www.amazon.com/22-18-Guage-Female-Disconnect-100pcs/dp/B001HTB13S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264782703&sr=8-1

Buttons depend on what type of control panel you are using...wooden or metal and they are different thickness/types of sizes...but the most common pushbuttons are HAPPS pushbuttons...Look at the links above and you'll see the differences

Shatered...here some more info you can read when you get time...
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 01:56:15 pm »
I just noticed that you can customize it for 20 bucks.. hmm.  I think I might try to do the street fighter and neo geo layout, is anyone willing to look over the design I make later? I just want to make sure I don't make a design that would be unpractical or uncomfortable.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 06:48:38 pm »
Yes, I think I mentioned that in the quad review. $20 extra is a fantastic deal.

You may be better off contacting him directly. He may have a custom layout already saved that fits your bill.

D

DashRendar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 07:24:03 pm »
I recently bought the quad control panel from North Coast.  It's very nice.   :applaud:

But you need to know something when ordering one from them-

If you want to order T-molding, a plexiglass cover, and/or a control panel overlay, you need to order it WITH your control panel.  They do not sell them separately.

On mine, there was a little chipping of the black plastic that covers the wood.  This was only around the button holes, and is covered by the rim of the buttons.  So it's not noticeable normally, but it might be something that concerns you when you get your kit.

The locking cam system holds it together very well, and it's a well-designed kit.

shateredsoul

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2010, 07:52:55 pm »
Oh.. good to know. I didn't even know they offered the Plexiglas cover (it's not listed as an option when ordering).  Do you remember how much it costs for that option? (can't find it on their website).  I need that plexiglass cover so my custom art can go underneath right? or does the plexiglass hold a design on its own?

I'll be sure to ask if they have a previously designed layout with the neo geo and street fighter button lay out.

I can't really order the controller panel yet though (will be able to in march).  In the meanwhile I'll focus on getting a video up of what I do have (a pc hooked up to a tv w/ xbox 360 controller) and on figuring out how to get zinc to work with maximus arcade.  I swear I had it working for a day... then it stopped.  =/

February I'll probably order all the buttons, cables, joysticks, track ball and other parts.  I'm probably going to wait on the spinner though (the one recommended is about 70 dollars and I never really used a spinner in the arcdes). I was also considering building the stand that they have on northcoast.. but they don't sell the plans. Boo urns!

I'm also working on getting album covers for my music collection (for my jukebox app)... now, a touchscreen, that would be nice for the jukebox app but probably not so good because of all the smudges.

I recently bought the quad control panel from North Coast.  It's very nice.   :applaud:

But you need to know something when ordering one from them-

If you want to order T-molding, a plexiglass cover, and/or a control panel overlay, you need to order it WITH your control panel.  They do not sell them separately.

On mine, there was a little chipping of the black plastic that covers the wood.  This was only around the button holes, and is covered by the rim of the buttons.  So it's not noticeable normally, but it might be something that concerns you when you get your kit.

The locking cam system holds it together very well, and it's a well-designed kit.