Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee help. (My first project nearly complete.)  (Read 12929 times)

Brutal E

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2010, 09:11:23 pm
Golden Tee help. (My first project nearly complete.)
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:41:10 pm »
I have a Golden Tee Fore Complete green board. Brand new power supply and bypass cable. I have it all set up and wired up. I am using the Jamma converter "RGB to VGA HD-Converter. This high quality video converter auto-detects and up-converts your CGA, EGA, VGA, or YUV Component video to a higher selectable resolution VGA device."

So I was real careful in wiring this up and following the directions in the manual. Doing as much research as possible. This is my first time with arcade equipment. Here is where I stand. Power supply wiring harness I am getting 5.05 volts after adjusting the power supply adjustment nob. With in requirements for booting up according to manual. I power it up Status 1 LED solid green, Status 2 LED blinking green, and IDE Status LED comes on for a split second then goes out. Hard drive seems to be on and spinning.

So when I check the video output on my monitor I got the card interface and menu on and working but no signal. Tried auto scan, changing outputs, changing the card resolution and no signal. Board video card is hooked to converter card directly via VGA cable.

Bummed to say the very least. New hobby equals big bucks and lots of work and nothing to show for it so far. Waaaaaah! OK enough sobbing this bastard is going to work if I have to get a PHD in Electronication.

Got to finish this project another one is coming and one is waiting not to mention the other hobbies.    
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:38:02 pm by Brutal E »

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
Re: Golden Tee help. (My first project nearly complete.)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:37:42 am »
Sounds like you might be fighting a battle on two fronts here... Establishing whether the board is working and whether your video converter is working.

You didn't mention having sound, so I'm going to venture a guess that the board isn't working. If you can get video, the GT boards will actually tell you if the voltage is correct on the boot screen. Can you hear the hard drive spinning up?

Did you try feeding the video converter signal to the board in both medium and standard resolution?
I have one of the Yaton (ebay seller) VGA converters and it works fine in standard resolution, but is very flaky in medium res.

GMZombie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2022, 10:11:23 am
  • I am a living Legend who fixes stuff... mostly
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 01:38:54 pm »
there is a dipswitch setting on the board for standard or ega resolution. have you tried to change that. Also im not sure you can hook directly to the video card cause you would cut out the video from the board i believe..not sure on that though...try using the jamma harness to get the video and then into your converter maybe... cause you can still get ega resolution out of the jamma harness just need the switch set correctly.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 03:16:56 pm »
I am not getting sound. I tried both resolutions standard and medium. I hear a crackle of sound when the board boots up. Nothing after that. I will try wiring up the video through the jamma harness and see what happens. The hard drive makes a loud clunk on start up after that it seems to be spinning.

What lights should be lit on a working green board?
Should the IDE activity light be on?

I am starting to think I might have a bad hard drive. The board would still boot up into a menu of some sort?

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:57:08 pm »
It POST's just like a computer with a "Detecting IDE Drive" type of message, so I think you should have some text on the screen at startup even if the drive has crapped out.

There are two green LED's marked Status 1 and Status 2. Both should blink.
The red LED marked Activity should be doing a fast blink while data is loading.

There is also a solid red LED in a row of 4 up near the top, I think those relate to modem connectivity. One of those will be lit solid red, the rest will be off.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:14:18 pm »
Yikes it sounds like I am screwed. LED 1 lit solid, LED 2 blinking, IDE LED not lit, and none of the 4 red LEDs are lighting up.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »
I think I'd start with the drive, since its function could affect lights beside the IDE indicator.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 06:17:37 pm »
Yeah cheapest to replace also I think. Failure rate on them is high also I hear. So this is a complete green board. Looking around on e-bay I can get the 2006 GT Fore Complete Extreme hard drive for like 20 bucks plus shipping. Is this what I am looking for? I think the Extreme refers to the fact that they use bigger and better drives not sure. The icon picture looks exactly like my marquee. 

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 05:26:53 am »
This is where I'm not sure. I bought a spare drive and never tried it, which is certainly a stupid move on my part.
I've read conflicting info on the Completes, some say the drive and motherboard security key are linked when the install is done, others say it doesn't matter.

ITs games has a forum where you may be able to get a definitive answer, though technical problems seem to take a backseat to talking about whatever the newest version of the game is.

http://www2.itsgames.com/forum/index.php

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 04:14:48 pm »
Thanks TOK. I did not bother registering on that board. Very little technical talk on it. I did send off a question to the e-bay user with the hard drive about the security key. Going to send an e-mail to IT technical support to get a read on the LEDs and if they have any suggestions.

The user Yaton is selling the same card I have. Which output are you using on it. I think I am supposed to be using RGBS not sure.

Thanks again for the help.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 04:52:43 pm »
The version of the Yaton card I got was the one with RGB in and VGA out. When I got my GT, it was a basket case with no monitor. I hooked it up to 15" PC monitor for testing as I worked on it because I didn't want to buy a 27" arcade monitor if I couldn't get the rest of it going.

My machine is a green board. If you get to the end of your rope with the troubleshooting and would like to ship the board and drives to me, I can put it in a known working machine, tell you what its doing and ship it back.

I'm sure there is other stuff you can check before it comes to that, but just drop me a PM if you decide you want to do that.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:29 pm »
Thanks TOK. I have just started the troubleshooting. I am a patient person so I will try it step by step starting with the hard drive. Testing the converter card is simple I just hook a component source to it. I will try wiring the videos through the harness last. I am pretty sure my wiring is correct but I will look it over just in case, continuity test it and all that. 

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 06:59:48 pm »
GMZombie I was assuming hooking up to the VGA was OK as I saw it done in a project that is floating around. He had made a console box and used an Avermedia 300 converter box connected directly to the board video card. I figure this is not my problem though. The loud hard drive clunk on boot up is a clue me thinks.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 07:48:42 pm »
I think the Complete is going to be worth all the hassle.  Please keep updating the status, so I can follow along!  :cheers:

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »
I ordered a new drive the user answered my question. They are only locked to the board as 2005 can not use complete. He says he sells lots of these with no problems. Has a good user rating so I bought one. 20 bucks plus shipping.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:09:32 pm »
Tested the converter card it is working.

Still have this question:

Trackball earth ground I attached to the mounting bracket is this ok? Also trackball regular ground coming from the board where do I hook this to? Can I hook it to the same bracket or am I missing something? Trackball has its own harness so a little confused.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »
They run into the bundled harness on mine and go into the base of the cab. I can't move it out far enough to check for you right now because of other crap I have by the game (its in my garage).

It sounds like you may be talking about the static grounds, leaving them off won't hurt anything and I think they can safely go to any grounded metal portion of the cab. I put them to the PC case frame on the trackball of my MAME project just to keep you from getting a static shock in the winter.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »
Thanks. I think that you are talking about the earth ground. I think my confusion is manual has wiring for the trackball from the harness or using the trackball port which has its own ground. Probably not needed. Got my Silver Strike Bowling kit in the mail. Nitehawk system is so simple. Waiting on my hard drive for Complete should be here in a day or two.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »
Not the hard drive. Going to try hooking up through the jamma video harness. Disconnected the jamma harness and tried to boot it up. Just in case it was something wrong with my wiring. Board uses its own power supply so it should boot up with out harness. Same result. Maybe without the small vga cable connected from the boards video card and the board itself it may be booting up as a error of some sort. Going to try tonight when I get home.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 03:55:20 pm »
Here is where I stand, my wiring is spot on. Used it to test my Silver Strike kit and it works perfectly. Also used it to test my other Golden Tee board a 2005 I bought before I tracked down a complete. I can see that it lights up the way you described TOK. I am also getting a picture on my monitor but it is flipping. So going to try a few things such as adjusting the resolution and monitor settings. Going to see what the pots on the converter card do. Guessing they are red, blue, and green settings. Maybe they are horizontal, vertical, and something else.

The complete board I am going to probably take to a local repair guy and see what he says. Something is wrong with it I think.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:04 pm »
On the GT boards, are you getting audio after a minute or so? It should be dropping into the attract screens pretty quickly (minute to minute and a half) unless the game is halting with an error.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 05:39:24 pm »
On the complete board no sound. For the 2005 I am getting picture but it is flipping and it is in attract mode. Got to hook up the speakers to see about sound. I was looking around and found some troubleshooting info on my converter card. Seems there are two ways to wire the video harness. One is for negative sync. Going to try that next. Meanwhile having fun with the Silver Strike and looking for a used cabinet to put both games into.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 05:30:26 pm »
GT 2005 up and running. I changed from one plug that came with the converter to the other plug they provide. Turned it to low resolution and it stopped flipping. Looks pretty good. Now that I have a working Jamma harness that is hooked to my converter through the jamma, I am going to retry my complete board now that I am sure that my harness is correct and working.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »
Sounds like you're in the home stretch. I think the Complete will be worth it.  :cheers:
Still something I want to do, but want to get gameroom functional first. My poor GT is stuck out in the garage until I get new carpet and finish the walls.

Brutal E

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2010, 05:31:37 pm »
So was able to get 2005 running in medium resolution. Went back and tried the complete board again no dice. I know it is not my wiring both 2005 and Silver Strike work perfectly so that board is going into the shop for repairs at least it lights up so it is not completely dead.

My temporary set up.

Description:
Golden Tee 2005 kit and Silver Strike I/O boards are inside the box along with Arcade to VGA converter and a VGA to HDMI converter. The Arcade to VGA converter has the Silver Strike VGA running through it and the Jamma harness video out is a arcade monitor plug which has its own input on the converter. The arcade vga has two vga outputs so one goes to my monitor and the other going to the VGA to HDMI converter. I am switching the Jamma harness and the trackball harness back and forth right now to play both. The Siver Strike computer is on the ground at the moment with the I/O power, USB's and VGA running into the box. Eventually this will all go in a single cabinet with a bigger monitor and a Jamma switcher.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 09:53:35 pm by Brutal E »

mickkn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2021, 01:38:53 am
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:57 pm »
What happend to the complete board?