Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TV, Wells Garner VGA, or LCD?  (Read 1763 times)

rlehm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
TV, Wells Garner VGA, or LCD?
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:50:07 pm »
Here are my options:

1: WGZ2798-U0FS12S
27" Model D9800 Digitally Controlled Monitor. FLAT CRT. Includes VGA and Power Cable. This will replace the WGZ2798-U0FS08S

2. 27" Sony TV with S-Video

3. 26" LCD on sale at Best Buy.

I'm looking to do two things:
1. Have mame run without too much quality loss
2. Be able to view my computers desktop and actually read the text so that I can edit my emultaors and such.

Which would meet my needs the best?

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
Re: TV, Wells Garner VGA, or LCD?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 07:08:11 pm »
The Wells Gardner. 

However, I highly HIGHLY recommend that you make your pc removable and do your maintenance on a traditional desktop setup.  This will save a lot of frustration and headaches. 

It's possible to do some light work on a tv or arcade monitor at 640x480, but a lot of programs use windows that are so big they don't fit the screen well.  And the text is nearly impossible to read at high resolutions. 

The Wells gardner will be better for this though since it will be able to do 640x480 progressive.   A TV will have flicker and softer text due to interlacing.   

The LCD is only a good option if you plan on primarily playing new games. 

secret80sman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2013, 07:04:31 pm
    • The Ultimate 80's Tribute Band
Re: TV, Wells Garner VGA, or LCD?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:54:48 am »
My WG D9800 does 800x600 with no flicker and no problems, this avoids the HUGE windows you get with 640x480, I highly recommend going that route. Use Soft 15khz to install all the resolutions and you are off to the races.

Agree to use a standard PC monitor to set things up, especially Soft 15khz. Also, first thing you want to do is select 800x600 @60 in the windows control panel (DISPLAY) settings. This way you can hot swap over to the WG and it will lock on. Otherwise the frequency your video card spits out is way too high for the WG. Text will never be clear like on a pc but 800x600 is fairly legible. Everything in games looks great though.

Good luck.