Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Temporary 4-Player Setup  (Read 5183 times)

Goatz18

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2021, 06:53:51 pm
  • The Bringer of Destruction and Doom!
    • Arcade Project Alpha
My Temporary 4-Player Setup
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:33:58 am »
I am putting the finishing touches on the design of my first cabinet build and construction starts this weekend. I code named the project Arcade Project Alpha (APA), hoping that there would be a Bravo, Charlie, Delta... but we'll see. I'll post more info this weekend with photos and scans of my design.

"It will be the single greatest undertaking in human history. Some of you may not make it back alive. Most of you may never be the same. But we will prevail." -  :burgerking: on APA.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:08:31 pm by Goatz18 »

saleem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
Re: Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 08:35:58 am »
hope you got bravo,charlie and delta money then cos alpha will probably cost you a few hundred.
  ::)

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
hope you got bravo,charlie and delta money then cos alpha will probably cost you a few hundred.
  ::)

With Alpha I am making the motherload, 4 player showcase, so I hope to learn a lot and start accumulating a surplus of parts as well to maybe be used at a later date.

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:24:03 pm »
Posting my first pictures on these forums... here I go:

The File.

The Laboratory. You can see my computer that I will use for the project to the left and the file from the first pic cut off on the little table to the right. The computer on the right next to the file is a lesser beast that I plan to use as an all-in-one-old school console player (i.e. 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64). The software and roms are already in place but funding for controller adaptors is being diverted into APA.

A cardboard mock up of the CP. At the most outer points it measures a mere 52 inches before rounding them off. The front is 23 inches wide with 16.5 inches on either side and 90 degree turns to 42 inches wide on top. For the astute, yes player 3 and 4 will only have 6 buttons, I was too lazy to print them out for the picture. And player 3 is still an old layout without a few extra lines that I added later (in ConceptDraw) as seen on P1,2, and 4.

A close up of player 4 to get a little better acquainted with the look and feel of it.

My Scorpion3's hooked up to my PS1 for power in the top right, and an old SideWinder.

My best shot at laying out the individual pieces of wood necessary for the Main Tower of the showcase. Still needs some tweaking and then on to the control panel pedestal.

An unfinished free hand sketch of the final product.

Full size card board mock up of a side profile of the Main Tower. I outlined the Marquee and front TV housing with Sharpe.

The goods. I've still got work to do.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:17:24 am by Goatz18 »

Ptaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2016, 11:35:37 am
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:34:41 pm »
Looks pretty cool so far, Are planning to put all of this into a cab? where did you get those light guns and are they USB?

Lo_Wire

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2019, 10:18:48 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:39 am »
I wouldnt recommend putting 3&4 joystick on an angle to the screen, very hard to use.

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:35 pm »
Looks pretty cool so far, Are planning to put all of this into a cab? where did you get those light guns and are they USB?

Ideally yes I want to put all this in one cab. I got the guns from someone who posted them on the buy/sell section of this site. They are Scorpion3 Guncon2's and yes they are USB but require power through either a PSOne or a custom made cable to the computers power supply unit.

I wouldnt recommend putting 3&4 joystick on an angle to the screen, very hard to use.

Noted. The design is not in stone yet, otherwise I would have started cutting the wood and posted pics of it cus I can't wait to get this baby goin. I will take what you suggest into consideration and will post shortly on further APA progress.

Goatz18

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Project Alpha
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:59 pm »
My temporary setup. A control panel scratched together with scrap wood I had lying around.

You can still see the blue mark of the wood and some imperfections, like I said, it was scrap wood, but the panel looks and plays great. I velcroed the front and back of the panel to an old kids dresser and she keeps steady.

That Dell to the left goes to the TV via S-Video. Looks great.

A J-Stick and a U360. You can also see the U-Trak and Slikstik Tornado.

Another U360 and J-Stik.

Ipac 4. I wired the far side first and had to rearrange the wires. The frontside I did second and got it right, looks clean.

I never did get any wire hooks or staples to hold the wires to the wood, but they don't move much and I'll get to it some day.

I kept the rough look of the wood, sanded it with fine sandpaper, stained it and sealed it for a rough yet smooth and shiny look.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:07:41 pm by Goatz18 »