Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dream cast arcade machine (questions)  (Read 5896 times)

Shane

• Trade Count: (0)
Dream cast arcade machine (questions)
« on: June 21, 2002, 07:41:08 am »
This is gonna be my next project, i already built my mame machine and the dreamcast seems like it might be a little more difficult with the monitor syncing, can anyone tell me how to get a dreamcast to properly display on an arcade monitor?
also any faqs/instructions on building a dreamcast machine would be appriciated.
Thanks

- Shane
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

me

Re: Dream cast arcade machine (questions)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 09:37:10 am »
well....i have something called MGCD-B  board for sale,otherwise no idea how to get dreamcast working on arcade monitor..it will convert JAMMA cabinet to dreamcast...you can use arcade joysticks, the monitor,real arcade gun and steering wheels...i bought it thinking i will use real arcade monitor....but ended up buying a VGA arcade monitor..and made a cabinet that runs mame and dreamcast all together...i never used it though..still brand new..i ordered from HONG KONG...it cost me 140$ with shiping...visit these sites for more info...

http://hehehe.org/
http://www.frolicker.com.tw/mgcd/mgcd.htm

if you are interested then make me an offer..i will sell for $100 with shiping...still in wrap and all...comes with instruction..its nothing really...only uses dip switchs..any ways.. write here...

arcadeking25@yahoo.com
mamemans@yahoo.com

email direct..or post here...thanks

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 10:08:16 am »
Hooking a DC up to a 15khz arcade monitor is very simple.  All you need is a DC VGA adapter and wire cutters.  I suggest the Blaze DC adapter as it has stereo out plugs with volume control (other vga adapters don't have volmue control and the sound gets distorted when running to your cabs amplifier.)

The DC's AV pin out has two pins which control 15khz and 31.5khz (vga).  You choose the mode by grounding one of these pins. A diagram with pinout can be found on www.gamesx.com.  

The VGA box grounds both lines (which defaults to 31khz.) So what you need to do is open up the DC VGA box, and cut the 31khz wire where it connects to the vga box PCB (leaving only the 15khz wire grounded).  Thats it.  Make sure the VGA box has the VGA switch turned on, and it will output 15khz rgb.  

You will need to hack a computer VGA cable to run the r/g/b/h/v (and grounds) to your monitor.

Very simple.

-Dave

Shane

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 12:44:20 pm »
ok im not sure if im exactly following you on the hacking of the VGA cable, i was looking at my monitor and was checking out the wires that go into it, what i dont get is why would i have to hack a computer VGA cable? couldn't i just wire the monitor to the dc vga adapter, or is it just easier to use the computer vga?

thanx

-SHane

me

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 02:40:25 pm »
SHANE,
sure you can wire it direct..but only prob is there is slight RISK involved....ya know..either blowing out the monitor or the dreamcast motherboard..maybe the VGA BX.....if you are interested in my MGCD board...i can make it $80...that saves you headace of hacking dreamcast game pad and the monitor issue..its PLUG AND PLAY...i will even include a JAMMA adaptor and where you will splice your monitors from cable...email here with any interest...   arcadeking25@yahoo.com

i really dont need this because i have arcade VGA monitor...total waste of money too...i tried sending back to hongkong and that will alon take like $40 for shiping and not sure if they would take it back..its been over a month...their return policy is like 14 days i think...anybody interested..please email..thanks

Shane

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 05:05:24 pm »
i emailed you,  just need to know about wiring the buttons and all since my jamma is standard with 4 buttons but i made it 6

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 06:02:37 pm »
To "Me", its not a good idea to use fear to sell stuff to newbies.  There is no way he can A) blow his monitor, B) blow the dreamcast motherboard, C) blow the vga box, by making my modification.

Shane, you said you were hooking this up to an *ARCADE* monitor and not a computer monitor.  Of course if you want to use a computer monitor in your arcade cabinet, just use the cheap vga box and be done with it.  If you are using a 15khz arcade monitor, you will have to hack the vga box to output 15khz (for an arcade monitor).  The hack to the VGA *cable* I described is just to run the wire from the DC VGA box to the *arcade* monitor...you may have already done something similar for your computer (on your mame cabinet).

Be warned, the MGCD box does NOT play all dreamcast games (especially the latest ones). The only advantage of going this route is if you have complete Jamma arcade cabinet and do not wish to make your own controls (just use the standard jamma control panel that came with the cab).  The problem with Jamma is that it only supports 3 buttons per player...again limiting the number of dreamcast games you can play.  I believe Jamma+ supports a couple more buttons...but I don't think the MGCD supports it.  

-Dave

Bob Sanders

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 07:44:59 pm »
well you could fry the monitor if you dont swich it to 15 khz

but the mgcd is extremly limiting you have to change jumpers to play a different game
you cant play with 4 players

its cheaper to hack a vga box and your less limited

Bob Sanders

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 07:48:43 pm »
1 more thing

its not "plug and play"

on the hehehe.org page theres a whole section devoted to how to rewire the jamma pinout to get it to work

"Getting the damned thing to work: It doesn't seem to be plug-n-play. If you are not familiar with the JAMMA standard or wiring diagrams you may have the same problem I did. The MGCD board diagram has pins 27/28 reserved for dreamcast buttons 6 and 7. On the other hand, the JAMMA pinout specifically uses these for grounds... possibly the coin mech and button grounds on your machine. This means that unless you modify your harness you will probably be unable to get your coin mech or your buttons to work. "

me

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 07:59:34 pm »
BOB, >:(
look man...i am talking about like you wont  blow it up...i was talking about if you plan on solding directly on the dreamcast mainboard(thats what the shane dude was planing i think)...you knowt the AV port,then there is some risk.....i did blow up my dreamcast trying ;D..so just a thought...if he is okay buying then i sell..and also the MGCD seem to work with everything..even four players if you dont use the DIP switch..you have choice....if you make it like you have to insert coin then YES...there are limited games to play...but if you dont use the DIP then you can likely play anything....i even saw people running emulaters such as dreamsnes and other nes and genesis stuff..visit the site where someone explains the whole latter....

AND AGAIN>>>IN CASE YOU DONT KNOW>>>THE MGCD DONT LIMIT ANYTHING AS LONG AS YOU DONT TRY TO MAKE IT LIKE COIN OP(technically make no emulator work like pay per play)>>>>if you use free play then i will be just like regular dreamcast on TV..i guess :-/..from what i know...

Shane i sent you mail already...visit the site where the guy explains the whole stuff...   :P

Shane

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 01:25:52 am »
wow Dave your way seems easier than dc2jamma's way.
im gonna give it a shot, if you know of any pages that might help me or that i should read before doing this lemme know.
Thanks all

- Shane

Chazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2020, 01:14:53 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2002, 05:41:42 am »
Shane,
I also did the VGA Box hack that Dave is talking about, and it works great.

Check out my website, it has a little bit of info.

~ ChaZz

me

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2002, 11:28:39 am »
BOB,
i did send him email about the rewiring...i am being super super clear so he knows what he is getting...
it should be PLUG AND PLAY if you dont use the coin mech...but thats only me..i dont really use the coin door..but i made whole thing clear....HAPPY NOW?

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2002, 09:33:39 am »
Shane, here is the page on gamesx with the pinout of the dreamcast av port.

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/dricas.htm

What you want to do is see what wire in the DC VGA adapter connects to pin 6, and then crack open the VGA adapter and cut it where it connects to the board.

Brian

Re:Dream cast arcade machine (questions)
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2002, 07:47:59 pm »
Newbie here with 3 Questions for anyone who has done this dreamcast to arcade thing:

1) Do you need a jamma fingerboard, or can I wire the video directly to the arcade monitor without using the jamma connector?  Is that dangerous?  I still want to be able to play my actual arcade boards.

2) does anyone know which method is better: the hacking VGA box way or the DC2Jamma way?

3) If I do it the DC2jamma way I will use an AV-to-SCART adaptor I bought from Lik sang.  Will I be able to plug in other systems into the AV end of the Scart adaptor, so I can play them on the dreamcast?  It would be cool to be able to play gamecube games on the arcade monitor, or watch movies.

tom61

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2017, 12:46:56 am
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2002, 11:55:17 pm »
1) You can bypass the Jamma harness for the video, just wire in an extra connector to the monitor. I can probably get a picture of how I did it in my cab in a couple of days, if you want. Make sure that you unplug the Jamma harness from a game, otherwise the picture goes funky.

2)I've tried the DC2Jamma way and failed, it turns out not every SCART adapter for Dreamcast is the same(Some have composite video, some composite sync). I'm going to try the VGA Box hack next.

3)From what I can tell that adapter doesn't convert any signals, only puts them to the right pin on the Scart cable. However, I might be wrong, I just found out that a S-Video to composite adapter is just a capacitor placed on the right pins! If you do try the adapter, tell us if it works.

mrselfdestruct

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2002, 01:02:41 am »
I have a dreamcast to jamma question.  Is it possible to go from a dc vga box into a J-Pac in a cabinet?  I have the jpac for a mame box and thought this would be a simple way to add a dreamcast.  the vga box has been hacked to support the 15khz.

Please let me know if this is possible.  Thanks.

tom61

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2002, 06:05:54 pm »
All you have to do is plug the hacked VGA box into the J-Pac's video in to get video to your arcade monitor.

mrselfdestruct

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2010, 08:42:29 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2002, 01:48:33 am »
I tried to set this up using the dreamcast vga box to the J-Pac.  But the screen fades to white.  Has anybody been able to do this or seen this type of problem?

l3et9jdh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2019, 08:15:05 pm
  • a.k.a ~ sellsellsell2000
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2002, 05:29:46 pm »
Disconnect all the wire on the DC VGA cable leaving only:
R/G/B/H/V and ground.
Do you ground all of them? Which one do I ground?
Do I need a Chip in order for this to work (LM1881)?

Hooking a DC up to a 15khz arcade monitor is very simple.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2002, 09:33:35 pm »

Disconnect all the wire on the DC VGA cable leaving only:
R/G/B/H/V and ground.
Do you ground all of them? Which one do I ground?
Do I need a Chip in order for this to work (LM1881)?

l3et9jdh:
I have no idea what you are asking here?  The only wire you snip in the VGAbox av cable is the one that leads to the 31khz pin.  You do not need an LM1881.

mrselfdestruct:
I replied to you in the gamesx forum (maybe you didn't see).  I didn't know you asked it again here.  Post again if you are still having problems.

-Dave

-Dave

bja99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2002, 01:59:31 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2002, 05:09:58 pm »
Ok, I've cut the 31khz wire (leading to pin 6) and I have a computer VGA cable ready.  

My question is:
It seems I am getting out of the VGA box:
R, G, B, horizontal sync, and vertical sync (and ground).

BUT - the arcade monitor is accepting R, G, B, composite sync, and ground.

Is on of the wires coming from the VGA cable composite sync?
or Do I twist vertical and horizontal sync together to get composite sync?  

Please make it clear - I'm a newbie.

and thanks for helping us newbies out.

Brian

tom61

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2002, 09:11:34 pm »
If you're using a J-Pac, just plug the vga cable into it.

If you're not using a J-Pac then twist H and V sync together, just like if you were doing a PC to arcade monitor.

bja99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2002, 01:59:31 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2002, 10:49:08 pm »
YES!

I have successfully hooked up my dreamcast to my arcade monitor!
Thanks to everyone who posted with all your good information.

Now on to the very tedious task of wiring in the controls....

Brian