Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My official project announcement, possible Galaga theme, not sure.  (Read 2065 times)

GalagaFan74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 12:58:42 am
Well, here's my official announcement for my upright cab.  Thought I'd post pictures of what I have done so far.

What I have here is a 19" HP monitor, and a Emachine 5020T.  The Emachine has a P4 3.06 GHz, 1 gig of ram, and onboard Intel 915 GV video with 224 megs of shared memory.  Good enough to play most of the older games.  I may be getting a better machine as soon as I build one for a friend.

Right now I'm in the planning stages.  I'm thinking Galaga themed, however I may go in another direction, as there are plenty of Galaga themes out there.  Looks like I'm going MDF, however, when I went to Lowe's and asked for MDF they looked at me like I just invented the stuff.  I couldn't find any on my own either.  Home Depot has it clearly marked and easy to find.

Arcade controls will be 2 player 2 8-way sticks,6-8 buttons, an independent 4-way, hidden admin panel.  I want to add two more 8-ways to accommodate games like Karate Champ.  With all that listed, I'm not sure which control interface board to get, I-PAC 2 or I-PAC 4?

Well, I'll continue to update as the project moves along.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:26:01 pm by GalagaFan74 »

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: My official project announcement, possible Galaga theme, not sure.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »
Sounds like a good start.

Welcome aboard!

If you want to drive 4 standard sticks, I'm guessing you'll need an IPAC4. The IPAC2 will control 2 player sticks and 8 buttons each, plus some admin buttons, but unless you double up the inputs, I don't think you'll have enough.

By Doubling up. I mean, if you plan on playing games where the 2'nd stick for each play just effectively controls some of the buttons, and you won't need 2 sticks AND 8 buttons for each player all active at the same time, then you could just wire , say Player 2 stick 2 down, to p2 button 8, up to p2 button 7 etc.

Then, when you play those games you just don't use the buttons and when you play games that use one stick, you just don't use the other stick.

But I'd suggest checking out the Ultimarc u360's. They're fantastic and very flexible sticks.

Johnathon1978

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2010, 09:17:35 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:01:37 pm »
Galaga would be cool.. I can remeber spending tons on that game at Pizza Hut... why was it so addicting... anyway.. can't wait to see...

GalagaFan74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 12:58:42 am
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:45 pm »
Well I tried to win a Midway (Galaga) coin door off Ebay, but lost.  So I think I'm going in that other direction.  I have a couple of ideas, number two and three of my favorite games of all time was Shinobi and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, respectively. 

I just won a coin door on Ebay.  Could anyone identify it?  One thing I noticed, from the pictures, is it has a slot for quarters on one side and tokens on the other.  Seems an ideal setup, and I won't have to modify a thing, possibly.