Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: vert classic and shmup small bartop - planning in process  (Read 2704 times)

BorgDog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
vert classic and shmup small bartop - planning in process
« on: April 27, 2015, 05:12:55 pm »
unfortunately I need to/get to add a new bathroom at home and need to get that done before I start another project, but on the bright side I have some extra time during work to play around on the computer and come up with designs.

The plan is another small bartop about the size of my Little Bastard (link in sig) or around 12" deep x 13" tall x 10" wide.  I really like that size of ease of taking somewhere with me, and for fitting in a small space at home in the office/laundry room. This one will have a fixed 9.7" display vertical orientation (ipad2 display).  I mostly have tried to mimic real cabinets and play around in sketchup to get the profile.  My prospective designs are:

Despite going with a 1943 theme inspired by Tiny Pilot and American Ace, I really like the clean lines of the Tempest cabinet.  I did a quick printout of my planned control panel and think the closed sides may be an issue for joystick control and hitting my hand into the side, so will likely go with one of the others.  What profile do you all think would work good?  Any other cabinets that you think would translate well to this size?  A big consideration on something this small is keeping the marquee from sticking out to far into your face as generally I sit pretty close to Little Bastard to play.

I plan on playing the classic vert games, pac man, dk, galaga etc as well as vertical shmups.  Omni 2 switchable joystick already ordered.

Here is my control panel and bezel artwork in progress, taken from 1943, inspired by Tiny Pilot, and modified to fit my size and cabinet directions.  The marquee will just be a standard 1943 with the top and bottom trimmed as needed to fit.  The dotted lines on the control panel are where it will wrap down the front and lower angle on most profiles. Oh, and the toggle switches that are printed on the cp will be actual momentary toggles on the actual cabinet for exit, coin, and p1 and p2 start.

Looking for feedback on the designs and artwork.  For the side art I am thinking of doing a stripped down version of the side art with just the airplane on stained wood using the inkjet transfer method.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:51:52 pm by BorgDog »
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
Re: vert classic and shump small bartop - planning in process
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:13:40 pm »
I like #3 best, followed by #6. I like the 1943 art too. It's going to look great for a shmup cab.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
Re: vert classic and shump small bartop - planning in process
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
You had me at SHMUP. I'll be watching

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: vert classic and shmup small bartop - planning in process
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:26:49 am »
I like the momentary toggle idea. Unique and keeping with the flight control theme.

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:47:46 pm »
Thanks guys.

Here is a quick mock up of what I am thinking of doing for the inkjet transfer onto wood for the sides.  Images from both 1942 and 1943 art.  Still looking for good preferably vector art of the 1943 side art to pull this from.

Also the toggles I picked up off ebay for the project.

My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

johnrt

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »
I like the momentary toggle idea. Unique and keeping with the flight control theme.
+1
This reminds me on how much I want a flight cab.