Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SDLMame still sees both mice as "Mouse 1"...how to fix?  (Read 6810 times)

Afterburner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
SDLMame still sees both mice as "Mouse 1"...how to fix?
« on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:33 pm »
I recently decided to rotate through my hardware (everyone gets an upgrade, right?) and replace my 11 year old 1Gz PIII box that is in my dedicated cab with a mere 7 year old Athlon XP 1800 with 1GB of RAM.

Unfortunately, taking the HDD drive out of the old box and dropping it into the new one did not work.  WinXP refused to even attempt to boot.  It just stayed in a boot loop...even if I tried safe mode.

So I grabbed the Fedora 12 Live CD and installed it onto the HDD.  I installed SDLMame and GMameUI.

Things seem to be working OK, however, I have noticed that I cannot get MAME to recognize my second trackball as a device for Player 2.

I have two X-Arcade 3" trackballs mounted in my CP.  One (Player 1) is connected via PS2.  The other (Player 2) is connected via USB.

Both work fine in X-Windows.  Both work in mame.  However, I am unable to get mame to assign the second trackball to be a P2 device.  Anytime I try to configure controls, either trackball I move registers as Mouse 1 X/Y.

I'm sure I just need to tweak a config file somewhere.....but I don't know which one.  Any help?

2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch

Smack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2013, 11:40:41 pm
  • Who changed my avatar?
Re: SDLMame still sees both mice as "Mouse 1"...how to fix?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:06:38 pm »
I had been running SDL Mame under ubuntu for a while and had the same problem.

When I had looked into it, if I recall correctly, SDL 1.2 doesnt support multiple mice, but SDL 1.3 does. At that time, I had given up and hadn't looked back into it. I recall reading something like that on the SDL Mame boards and something along the lines that it would be incorporated once SDL 1.3 dropped.

Dunno if things changed, I haven't upgraded my cab in a while and just said screw it for now. :D

Smack
Never Let Donkey Kong Use Your Toilet.
(We're talkin' big processed brown bananas...)

Somebody out there stole my sig! LOL

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:14:53 pm »
That is correct.  SDL 1.2 does not support multiple mice as separate devices (and the support for it in X itself is a relatively recent thing).  1.3 (which will likely be called 2.0 when it's released) supports multiple everything cleanly - keyboards, mice, monitors, etc.  There is preliminary SDL 1.3 support in SDLMAME for the adventurous, but you'll want to talk to Couriersud on the SDLMAME board for the state of that.

Pitou

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 05:56:46 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:11:04 am »
Hello,

I'm having the same issue with sdlmame and multi pointer. Since Xorg/xinput/mpx is now a reality, does anybody know if sdlmame now supports multiple pointers?

I also started another thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140562.msg1455094.html#msg1455094

@Arbee, can you point me to the right direction for the sdlmame board and Couriersud?

Thank you.

Pitou!

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 10:08:03 am »
http://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=8&page=1
official SDL MAME forum

afaik SDL 2 support is still experimental and not the default, so I doubt much has changed in the last 4 years.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:14 pm »
AdvanceMAME is supposed to have multiple mouse support in both linux & windows.
It's older but it is really easy to compile on linux.
I'm testing it on my P3 system now.
However i'm using the trackball as my mouse so I havn't tested dual mice in it yet & not sure i'll really need to.

Pitou

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2020, 05:56:46 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!

Just did a quick test playing around with the xinput command under linux.

With this:

xinput list
xinput create-master Secondary
xinput create-master Third
xinput reattach 10 "Secondary pointer"
xinput reattach 13 "Third pointer"

I managed to have 3 independent pointers/arrows on my XFCE desktop!
Too bad sdlmame still doesn't support it.

I'm thinking of going back to windows. I'm looking into the stripped down installation like TinyXP/MicroXP or Tiny7

What would you recommend?

Thx!

Pitou!

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:40:59 pm »
If you take a look at src/osd/sdl/sdl.mak, I think your day will brighten considerably.

# uncomment next line to disable XInput support for e.g. multiple lightguns and mice on X11 systems
# using Wiimote driver (see http://spritesmods.com/?art=wiimote-mamegun for more info)
# enabling NO_X11 also implies no XInput support, of course.
# (currently defaults disabled due to causing issues with mouse capture, esp. in MESS)

NO_USE_XINPUT = 1

In other words, change that to #NO_USE_XINPUT = 1 and rebuild MAME to enable using XInput for multiple mice.  (This causes problems with windowed mode which is why it's not the default).  People have successfully used that option to have multiple unique lightguns on Linux using Wii remotes, as the comment suggests, but it should also work for mice and trackballs.