Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimate MK3 Mame  (Read 14956 times)

deano7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2016, 09:48:04 pm
Ultimate MK3 Mame
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:21:19 pm »
I have an Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 cab that I converted to MAME.  I just upgraded to Mame version 1.35, but now when I try to play UMK3, it says I am missing a bunch of files (bins).  when I go back to the old version of MAME, it still doesn't work.  So somehow my UMK3 files got corrupt, right?  If that is the case, how can I get copies of the files?  Thanks guys, I appreciate the info!

Dean

SephYuyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 am
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Ultimate MK3 Mame
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:05:29 am »
Oddly enough I ran in to the same trouble today.
I didnt get a chance to test it, but it seems you need to add the files from MK3, to the UMK3 .zip

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 05:46:02 am »
Did you update your roms along with the MAME update? If not you will have to do so.

Encryptor

deano7

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:54:15 pm »
Probably a dumb question, but how do I upgrade my RAMs?  I'm new to creating custom mame files.  Maybe that is some of the other problems I'm having, such as my kids playing Bucky O'hare and it gets SUPER slow...

Thanks in advance!

Alpha17X

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2023, 01:44:51 am
  • wheee!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:05:21 am »
Every time you update Mame, there's a chance you might have to update some of your roms (games)  as they get redumped or 'updated' usually around the same time mame gets updated,  where you go for your roms is up to you but a simple google search will set you on the right path.  

For example;  "MAME 0.135 Roms"

I know of a few direct locations but I have to refresh myself on the forum rules before I post or don't post any addresses.

Alright checked the rules. It's looking pretty 'Grey Area'    So I'll have to leave you with the google suggestion unless a mod tells me I'm allowed to give a link.  But regardless fear not.  I'ts not hard to find MAME Roms.  Don't forget to buy the board for the game if you don't have it already, that way you're legit.  And a UMK3 board doesn't cost much anyway.  Unless I just got lucky with mine ($50)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:08:05 am by Alpha17X »
I miss Retroblast :(

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 12:25:34 pm »
You cannot pos links to roms; it's not grey a all.  I'm not a mod, but this is pretty clear:
Need a ROM to complete your MAME collection? Don't bother to post here. If someone posts such a request, please don't answer it -- no direct answers, no hints, no private messages.

Back to the OP.  You can find when rom sets changed over at MAWS.  If you look for umk3, it will show that that set changed in versions 0.129 & 0.128u1.  It also lists what ROMs mame expects to be in the rom set (for the current mame), but doesn't list what the changes were. 

Also, there is a mame FAQ about changing ROM sets: http://mamedev.org/devwiki/index.php/FAQ:ROMs#Why_does_MAME_report_.22missing_files.22_even_if_I_have_the_ROMs.3F

There are apps that can help you with managing rom sets, but they are designed for the whole enchilada.  ClrMamePro is the most used, but can be a little non-intuitive to learn.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

deano7

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:20 pm »
Thanks guys.  I actually do have a UMK3 board that came with the cab.  I am not smart enough to dump from the chips.  Is there anywhere to buy the dump if I legitimately own the board or is it still illegal?  I don't need all of the ROMS, just UMK3, so my cab doesn't look silly for not having the game on the marquee!  Can CLRMAMEPRO fix my current UMK3 ROMS into the new version or I must start from scratch and find a new version?  Again, just to be clear I really honestly do have the jamma board and I hope I am not violating any code of conduct as I really enjoy being a part of this byoac... 

dafelandry

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2012, 12:08:40 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:38 am »
Had the same problem.... you have to unzip your mk3 zip and umk3 zip and share some files.....

Found this awhile back.....

have a game specific thing to add:
If you want to play Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, you have to do a little bit of a work. You need the rom sets of Mortal Kombat 3 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, now extract both of those roms to separate folders. You see the rom set that is available for UMK3 is not complete, so you have to have both UKM3 and MK3. Now to play UMK3 you need the following files:
mk3-u3.bin
mk3-u4.bin
mk3-u5.bin
umk3-u2.bin
umk-u122.bin
umk-u123.bin
umk-u124.bin
umk-u125.bin
umk-u126.bin
umk-u127.bin
umk-u128.bin
umk-u129.bin
umk-u130.bin
umk-u131.bin
umk-u132.bin
umk-u133.bin
Now you can find all of the files (in UMK3 and MK3) but you can't find mk3-u3.bin,
mk3-u4.bin, mk3-u5.bin in any of those rom sets. You will find all of these files in the MK3 rom but they are named umk3 instead of mk3. Rename them and now take all of the needed files and compress them to a ZIP file called umk3.zip . Place it in your roms directory, load up MAME, make sure to recheck your directories in MAME so that it recognizes that you have the rom, load, play, and enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again I didnt write this!!

deano7

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »
I don't know how I missed this a few weeks ago.  Thanks for the information, I'll give it a shot!

adidas1984x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2023, 07:14:53 am
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 10:13:59 am »
got any pics of the cabinet ????

deano7

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:05:34 pm »
Well, I think you were asking me, so I'll post a pic...  I am actually somewhat proud of my control panel as it was the first one I made.  The cab is an original MKII, but when I bought it, it had the UMK 3 marquee and came with the UMK3 jamma board.  This pic is only of the control panel and it doesn't look like it fits in, but the colors on the marquee make the colors I used on the control panel actually look pretty good.   Npt bad for a noob, eh?

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:30 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:34:53 pm »
mk3 use to be the Parent ROM. UMK3 has been separated from it. You probably have all the ROMS needed. Just use CLRMAME to sort out the ROMS or put all the ROMS from MK3 to the UMK3 file.

Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

SlayerAlex

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 17, 2011, 09:19:27 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:20:57 am »
do you get errors? Same thing happened to me and i looked at the errors and it said which files were missing. I googled them and got them and put them in a new .zip

but as for supporting the company, i think the best bet is to put a ps3 or xbox 360 in your cab and run it through the virtual console downloadable version. When you buy it on ebay, 100% of the money goes to some dude and UPS. none of that goes to midway or the creators of mortal Kombat

adidas1984x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2023, 07:14:53 am
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:45 am »
dude thats badass how big is the trackball? looks great hows the side art