Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cavicchio MP3 Jukebox - New Pics !  (Read 21901 times)

caesar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2013, 09:00:50 pm
Cavicchio MP3 Jukebox - New Pics !
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:36:49 pm »
Happy Holidays !

The entire cabinet was hand made by myself. (150+ photos). Since this wasn't a kit, the plastic arch had to be hand formed by myself from a sheet of white polycarb. Black Plexi covers the enitre cabinet front.

Dimensions are approx. 32" H x 20" W x 13" D (inches).

I utilized an older P4-3ghz Processor, 1Gig ram, 256mb AGP card, 300 watt power supply running Windows XP.

Created all the graphics using a trial version of Photoshop CS4.

The jukebox software is E-Touch Jukebox.

17" ELO Touchscreen purchased used on Ebay.

Audio is a standard 2.1 computer speaker set-up. I think it's 18W sub + 3W per channel. (pretty loud for home use)
Master volume & bass controls on back panel.

Since I didn't have access to a vacuum press, and I'm a newbie with veneer, it took 2 attempts to get the veneer wrinkle & bubble free.

As you can see, I kept the design of a Wurlitzer 1015 in mind.  Sorry no bubble tubes, maybe next time.  :lol

A special thanks to all those members who took the time to answer my endless stream of questions. It surely helped. :applaud:

Enjoy the pics !

Barry B. Your software is wonderful...

Thanks!

Please move to the proper project forum if needed...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:53:03 pm by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
Re: It's Done ! Cavicchio MP3 Jukebox
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:31:21 am »
A few more pics...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:44:43 pm by caesar »

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:36 am »
Wow! Great Job! I like all the scroll work.

:applaud:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:24:33 am »
looks good, any reason you water marked every picture blocking the view?

if youre afraid that someones gonna steal them, rest assured, I could remove that watermark if I really wanted to and Im not even that good with photoshop
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:55:17 am »
That's one sweet looking jukebox there dude.   :applaud:

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 11:20:27 am
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 02:50:09 pm »
That is a very nice tabletop jukebox!  :applaud:

Kinda like to know if the lights dance to the music or is the light sequence pre-programmed?

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Fordman

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 03:55:03 pm »
Hello,
A custom programmable controller may still be a future upgrade, but I found these lights 50% off after Christmas last year at Lowes.  :applaud:
They're pre-programmed.

I just removed the outer lightbulb shaped plastic globe to make them fit. Keeping the extra wire neat was a task within itself.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:54:57 pm by caesar »

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »
Obvious a huge amount of work gone into that! Looks fantastic!  :applaud:

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:54:59 pm »
Hello!
Thank You!
Even though the construction time was longer than planned. It really was a lot of fun to build.
I found the veneering to be a bit more challenging than I originally planned. But I was looking for something different than the normal straight grain that was typical of wood jukes.

Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:50:00 pm by caesar »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:46:30 am »
I agree with Malenko, these graffity singatues is darn annoyring and hence hard to look on. Even on the new pictures there is no reason to do soo big text on them.....
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 03:54:41 pm »
Hello,
Here's some more pics...

I guess the watermark was a bit too much...
Sometimes I just need a second nudge to make a better decision...

Thanks!

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 03:57:19 pm »
Thank goodness for digital cameras... :cheers:

Forgot to take a photo of the speakers before I disassembled them. So I included the mfg. photo.
I actually cut down the height of the left & right speakers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:56:18 pm by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:59:57 pm »
More Pics...

Removed the volume/bass control from the speaker's base and made a new holder that I'll be relocating in the back.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:57:58 pm by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:02:08 pm »
More Pics...

The flashlight originally ran on (3)1.5 volt batteries or a total of 4.5 volts.
That chinese flashlight put up one good fight.
By inserting a 15ohm resistor, I was able to power the front emblem directly from the 5VDC tap coming from computer's power supply.

Where else can you get 9 white leds & 3(no name) AAA batteries for $2.00 ?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:44:26 pm by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:34 pm »
Nobody would think of looking up the handle for the PC's powers switch. I installed the 2 USB's into the other plastic handle. This way I don't have to move the unit to plug in a mouse, keyboard or Wireless USB stick. The wireless USB stick is great for loading music files from across the room.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:01:21 pm by caesar »

digitaldj

Re: Cavicchio MP3 Jukebox - New Pics !
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 06:08:22 pm »
Caesar,

Wow! Excellent work! I like this design and it would be nice in a floor model with a full sound system in it! Real inventive on the powerswitch and usb ports. I like everything on this project including the deco trim on the plastic for the lights.
 :cheers:

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:59:31 am »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Wow! So how exactly did you form that polycarbonate? I've never worked with the stuff, do you have to heat it or does it just have some flex to it? Also what kind of veneer is that?  I see that you are transferring music to it via a usb stick. Why not just get a usb wireless adapter and transfer your music to it that way. This also lets you get net radio and other streaming options. Great job, this thing is awesome!  :cheers:

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »
Hello & Happy Holiday!

The net radio is something I didn't think of. But the Wireless USB is great for transfer and adding files.

The white polycarb can be warmed up with a heat gun, but not to the point of discoloring or melting. Just enough to get a bit more flex.

Polycarb doesn't glue well. You need a bonding cement. The best adhesive for polycarb is "IPS Weld-On Products".  It dries clear.

I used 1/8 inch thick polycarb, I think 1/16 would have been a bit easier to bend but probably not enough material to bond the corners with.

Here's a tip! :soapbox: Most local sign companies use 1/8 inch white polycarb. They may give you the small odd unused pieces left over to experiment with. I purchased a dust covered 3ft x 3ft piece at a ridiculously low price.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:50:13 pm by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:29 pm »
Thanks digitaldj ,
I've been so envious of your LED pilasters on your Art Deco Juke.  :applaud:
If I ever have to do a lighting upgrade, I'll be contacting you for some assistance.  :lol

http://www.freewebs.com/artdecojukebox/

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 09:36:53 pm »
Very nice! Those art deco blocks and the flashlight mod are great!

:applaud:

Paladin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 11:21:44 am »
Fantastic juke with some great creative solutions!

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:09 pm »
Hello & Happy Holiday!

The net radio is something I didn't think of. But the Wireless USB is great for transfer and adding files.

The white polycarb can be warmed up with a heat gun, but not to the point of discoloring or melting. Just enough to get a bit more flex.

Polycarb doesn't glue well. You need a bonding cement. The best adhesive for polycarb is "IPS Weld-On Products".  It dries clear.

I used 1/8 inch thick polycarb, I think 1/16 would have been a bit easier to bend but probably not enough material to bond the corners with.

Thanks for the tips, and again great job on the jukebox.

Here's a tip! :soapbox: Most local sign companies use 1/8 inch white polycarb. They may give you the small odd unused pieces left over to experiment with. I purchased a dust covered 3ft x 3ft piece at a ridiculously low price.

Thanks!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 08:26:43 pm »
New pics are a great improvement.   Now it is easier to see how great your build is.  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 07:18:18 am »
Hello,
   I've received alot of e-mails regarding the assembly of the arch & columns.
Here's some general instructions...

The straight columns are just butt jointed at 90*.

There are 3 pieces that make up the top arch.
1st the Face (the front side/part that you see).
2nd the top (top part of the arch that collects dust)
3rd the inside arch (bottom inside curve)

I first cut and sanded the Face piece to match the jukes arched cabinet.
It was just a matter of butt jointing and cementing the top arch against the curved face. I warmed the top piece slightly and evenly with a heat gun to give it a bit more flex. If you don't already own alot of clamps, you soon will
Be sure you have no gaps in the joints of the polycarb or the cement will drip out.   

After the the face and top arch have had a week or so to dry. I then cut out about a dozen, forming square blocks.
Wrap the contact area of the blocks with aluminum foil so the cement doesn't adhere to the wood.
I placed each of the blocks up against the face and top plastics. Here's the tricky part.
Warm up the inside piece for your arch. Then press the 3rd piece against the blocks inside the arch. The blocks will insure the arch is pretty much uniform. It's important that there are no gaps along the bottom (where the inside curve touches the arch's face piece.) Cement and wait 2-3 weeks before removing the forming blocks. Once you remove the forming blocks and any residual stuck on-foil, flip it over and you've got a custom homemade arch.

Practice assembling a few times before using the cement. http://www.ipscorp.com/assembly
Cut your plastics 3-5 inches longer then you need. Once totally dry, you can always trim off the excess length. Make sure you use a new blade and cut very, very, slow. Make sure to scuff up the inside part of the plastics to help the cement. Don't worry about any bubbles in the cement, you won't see them unless you are using crystal clear plexi or clear polycarb.

I used the same cement once again to adhere my wood mounting brackets/blocks to the arch & columns. The columns & arch are screwed in from inside the cabinet.

Hope this is helpful...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:36:19 am by caesar »

caesar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 08:37:34 pm »
Subject: Hey

Hey Caesar,
First off, your Cavicchio MP3 jukebox is amazing. One of the greatest I've seen.  I had a couple questions that i was thinking you might be able to help me out with.  I wanna do something similar but much less complicated.  For the screen, do you have to take the bezel off of the monitor to mount it?  Also how did you mount it in your case?  I noticed that your motherboard is right behind the screen.

Also for the inside edges, where the screen is, the base that sticks out, around the speaker grill, did you put black plexi there to?  You said covers the entire front and was wondering if it included the inner boarders as well.

I was wondering if you had any pictures a little more lit so i could get an idea of how much detail you went into.  I don't think ill be doing all that but more of admiration then anything else.

Last question i promise.  For the lights for the top, do you get any light coming out of the back from the grill you installed.  I was thinking of doing a square box with a little top portion and putting a CD in there (possibly spinning), with a light but was worried about light coming out the back, and heat.

Thanks a lot for your help and once again amazing job on the jukebox.  It really is an inspiration.

Joey

Hello & Thanks!
   If I leave anything unanswered, just let me know...
The monitor I used was a ELO 1739L Open Frame Monitor   http://www.elotouch.com/Products/LCDs/1739L/
So there was no case or backing to remove like a desktop monitor would have.
It's mounted from the inside of the 1/2" wood cabinet using 2 large "L" shaped brakets that came with the monitor. There's a black shoulder "Centering lip" or raised area on the front of the monitor. I cut the front monitor opening using the "Centering Lip" as a guide.

Using the 4 screw holes on the back of the monitor (probably used for a stand) I mounted a piece of 1/4" plywood using 1" spacers between the monitor and plywood for ventilation. Then using old brass mobo standoffs from a recycled PC tower. The 7-8 brass standoffs mounted to the plywood give proper support to the mobo.

Once the main front black plexiglas covering was installed, I installed the monitor, speaker grill & marqee plexiglas. I then cut about 10 thin strips pieces of black plexi to cover the inside thickness of the wood's edge. Around the monitor I just pushed the thin black plexi tight up against the monitor's Centering Lip  closing any gaps that may be present. The visible edges of the plexiglas were buffed to a mirror finish to match the front main piece of plexiglas.

As far as light goes, there is a small amount of light the comes out the back vents. sitting across in a dark room, You can just bearly see the vent light reflecting on the wall. For marquee bulbs I used 2 white CCFL I found on Eb@y. "buy it now" for $3.00 +$7 shipping. Here's an example : http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-UV-Cold-Cathode-Light-12-Case-Mod-Kit-Must-Have_W0QQitemZ380176483580QQcategoryZ51064QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6536844865091266844

If you use LEDS or CCFL tubes there will very little heat given off. And if your power supply is large enough, you can run the extra marquee lights off that as well. I remember seeing a Rowe/AMI CD jukebox that had a slow rotating CD(s) @ the top surrounded by mirrors for a multi cd effect. Pretty cool. :applaud:

Hope the pics help...Sorry for any typos :lol
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:45:12 pm by caesar »