Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "The Griffin" - Finished August 28, 2010!  (Read 28845 times)

SephYuyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2013, 11:40:04 am
  • I Am, Who I Am.
"The Griffin" - Finished August 28, 2010!
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:33:44 pm »

First off a big thanks to BYOAC, without those guys I wouldnt have bothered with this project. So much help and resources in one place, just an amazing community.
Also thanks to: Andy @ www.ultimarc.com, Divemaster127 @ www.arcadeemulator.net, Randy @ www.groovygamegear.com, and Scott @ www.gameongrafix.com
All great people to work with, saved me money, and provided superior products and services. If youre ever building an arcade cabinet, everything you need can be found through them, dont go looking anywhere else.

The PC - XP Pro, P4 2.5GHz, 1GB, 430W, Radeon 9550:

Completed Marquee:

Completed Control Panel:

Completed Side:

Completed Bottom:

Completed Front:

Full Complete Cabinet:

Intro Video:

Full Complete Indepth Video:

Composite Video:

=====Original Post=====

Uh yeah, no name yet, nor sure if I will at all, so yeah.

Ive always wanted to build my own home entertainment room with leather couches, a great audio system and a huge projection system, however thatll have to wait till I get a big enough house. Whats goes great in an entertainment room though? An arcade.

Well then, since I decided to start on the cabinet, I began to look around and see what kind of designs are out there. I could of gone with the basic look, I wanted something a bit more eye catching, and then I saw this http://www.mameroom.com/images/UAIIQuadKit.jpg The second I saw it I knew it was going to be perfect. But how to figure out the dimensions? On their website you could buy a completed unit, a DIY kit or just the dimensions, and thanks to the internet I did a bit of searching and found some rough dimensions for it, and began to work off of those.

Using Visio I then started to work on the top portion and the bottom portion and ran in to various problems. Some of the dimensions didnt quite match up total wise, so I had to change a few, I also didnt like their pullout drawer for a keyboard, I figured I could easily fit a mico keyboard in the control panel, so I decided to raise the front kick plate, and I think it looks more like an arcade this way.

Here is part of the drawing I came up with. I have a full Visio layout with dimensions thats not show.

Fairly self explainatory which piece is what, and the blue part will help me find the points to cut out the red part. This is the hardest part solved, and as you can see in the final picture what it looks like put together from the side, and its height/width, 6'2x3'4 seems reasonable to me. With this part out of the way, I can fill in the front and back on the fly basically. Im not an expert wood worker, but I know a good amount.

I havent quite finalized on the max inside width, but im thinking 25", it seems most arcades hover around 23" to 35", but I think anything above 30" is too big, maybe ill consider going to 28". I dont need to worry about that right now though, I can size it up once I get the sides cut out. Id also how to find a display unit to match it's width, so somewhere between a 25" to a 33".

In terms of material, im thinking 5/8" MDF; while heavy, it's fairly inexpensive, and im going to try to keep this project sub $1000, which shouldnt be too hard. Most of my cost will come from the control panel and the display unit.

I still havent decided on how many players I should make the control panel either. I was originally thinking 4P, but honestly, there arent that many 4P arcade games, nor will I have 4 people regularly available to play. However I started thinking that there are a decent amount of 4P N64 and DC games out there, any maybe that might be a reason to go 4P. And then after deciding how many players, Ill have to figure out a button config. There are many games out there, ones that use 1 button, and ones that use lots, and it seems every aracade has a different arrangment. Im thinking 7 buttons per player, 1 8x joy each, with 1 track ball, 1 spinner, and 1 4x joy, and then some extra misc buttons.

Yes, as I forgot to mention not only will I be using this to play arcade games, but also the many video games out there. Which brings me to my next issue, the display unit. While an actual arcade display is nice for getting that realisim, getting one that displays newer games properly isnt common, and can be quite expensive, $600 for a 27". So then maybe a monitor? but it may not display the arcade games properly, but I found this guy Ultimarc, the Ultimate in Arcade Controls.� and it's bascially a video card that emulates an arcade display properly, so that may be an option. The easiest and middle of the road option would just be to use a good ol CRT TV, easy to find, and cheap, but would need an S-Vid at minimum, and it's hard to find one that has thinish sides, but I guess that will be an issues down the road.

And then even later down the road is all the small details like power buttons, lighting, and marquees.

(if this post sounds a bit in the past, I wrote it a couple weeks ago, but didint post it.)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 10:38:52 am by SephYuyX »

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:38:23 pm »
So since then I thought a bit more, and started on the build.

I decided to go with 2 players, but nothing set in stone yet, but I do want 7 buttons at minimum, maybe 8?

So itll be this set up at least:
..OOO
..OOO
O

And for 8 I guess..

OOOO
OOOO

..OOO
..OOO
OO

O
..OOO
..OOO
O

or something.

I still havent found a display yet, but I decided against an acrade monitor just because of the cost. But craigslist has yielded nothing yet in terms of component TVs of a suitable size.

I also started working on a color scheme. I saw one I kind of liked and mimiced it as best I could, good enough for starters.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 08:39:31 pm »
The actual project begins! Ill be copy/pasting from my facebook, so thats why it may be worded oddly.

Some T-Molding samples; this will go around the edge.

Four 5/8" 8x4' MDF Sheets. Heavy suckers weigh about 90lbs each. 1/2 and 3/4 can be found anywhere, only one place in the area sells 5/8 and took days to find out who.

Laying out the pattern for the bottom portion on one sheet.

Laying out the pattern for the top portion on another sheet. The meauring took a very long time. I started at about noon, and didnt start cutting till about 4 when the sun started to vanish. Measure 42 times, cut once.

Forgot to adjust the drawing so I could fit both sides of the top portion on one sheet, but luckily enough both the top and bottom portions could fit on to one sheet (by 2 inches..). So I cut both sheets at the proper length, and that allowed the smaller unused half from the top portion to be used with the bottom portion, and the larger unused half from the bottom to be used with the top portion.

Top portion work in progress. Using multipule clamps to keep it secure, and moving them when necessary. I used the 1x2 board as a straight edge for the saw and clamped it down 1-1/4" from the line I wanted to cut. I originally planned to cut out only one side, and then use it as a template to route the second one out with a flush tip bit, but after a friend recommended trying to cut two boards in one pass, I tried it, and it worked fine. Saved time and money.

Top portion all cut out, and both sides perfectly flush thanks to lots of clamps. Just needs to be sanded a bit, and itll be time to cut out the bottom portion.

Getting the bottom portion all clamped, set, and ready to go.

Bottom piece WIP, same process as before; mark 1-1/4" away from cut, clamp straight line, cut.

Cuts all done, just need to sand and touch up.

Realised I hadnt 'planned' passed the profile bit of the project, so did a few rough measurments and begane to cut the front and back peices.

Bottom part set out.

Top part set out.

Profile laid out.

The front and back pieces of the bottom portion, will do the top parts after the botom is assembled and the top is attached to that. This part wasnt too hard, but all the markings, adding the straight edge, cut, remove straight edge, mark next piece, add straight edge, etc took awhile.

Material List and Total Cost at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 08:37:59 pm by SephYuyX »

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 08:43:10 pm »
So this is where I am at the moment.

Profile done, front and back pieces cut out, slot cut bit on order, still looking for a display. Should have the bottom done by the time the bit comes in, and I should be able to route the slots with the bottom put together.

Im lucky enough to have the basic power tools at my availability, so thats kept costs down a ton.

What im tring to decide on now is what kind of wood inside. I was thinking 2x2, but 1x1 may be good enough. Was also thinking about what kind of screws, and I think ill just go with coarse drywall screws, but not sure on what size yet, as ive yet decided on the wood yet. I was thinking 2-1/4" or 2" for the 2x2 wood, but not sure which.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:21:01 pm by SephYuyX »

painterinfo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2010, 05:29:27 am
  • Arcade10
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:45:11 am »
Ever used Sketchup?

For a bit of fun I wanted to see if I could produce a scaled 3D version of your diagram.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=86143e04b723666128fdea86734e40fc&ct=mdsa

You might find it useful to visualise it in 3D if you are designing it from scratch, you have a lot of desisions to make, marquee mount contoller positions etc.

Here is a link to some more info about sketchup. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/SketchUp_Tips

Enjoy.
Scripting Wizard

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:08:00 pm »
I actualy did try it once and never got the hang of it lol. I may try again for the CPO and see how it goes. Thanks for giving it a go, gives an interesting view to it. It's coming along pretty well too.

Btw, if anyone has an extra coin door fram laying around, let me know :( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98424.0

Got this guy on the cheap from a local vendor. In near perfec condition. I decided to not get the complete working mechanics just because I dont plan on using it in that fasion, and no one will ever notice the difference, and I can just get the lights working through another means.

Heres the door taken apart for cleaning.

One thing I wasnt too happy with, the slot cut bit for my router was very hard to line up straight for various reasons, so it looks a bt off center in some places, but fine in others, I guess the wood just wasnt completely flat. So Ill just get 3/4" T-Molding, and that way I can just cut off the edges to make it flush with the board, just a little bit of extra work, but itll come out fine.

Lumber/Furring for the braces.

Decided to ass some cross beam supprt. Two for the base, two for the control panel, and three for where the tv/monitor will rest.

Heres the support for the front, back and side panels. Instead of drilling directly in to the weak depth of the MDF, I drilled into the furring. Even when you countersink into the side of MDF it can split. Aside from srews, I used Titebond II glue to keep in nice and secure.

Heres the bottom 98% complete. Just have to add the 4 other cross beams, and then add the shelf to area where theres there 3 beams. Next step is to add the top.

Inside look.

Shows how I countersunk the screw holes. Going to add bondo/wood fill and then sand flat.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build. (My First & No Name Yet)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:55:17 am »
New pics at the end of the weekend, but i've come to realise that I need to start working on the CP.

But im sort of stuck. I know I want at least 7 buttons, but is there any reason to have, or any games that supports 8 buttons?
I plan on it being two player, with two 8 ways, one 4 way, one ball, one spinner, and the usual admin buttons. Ive been looking over various CPs trying to figure out a good sort for it, and ive also been browsing the site with the different button layouts trying to find a good one that suits me.

When doing this ive realised that I still dont have a set color/theme/name.

I know some people have nicknames, or a color/theme theyve had all their life, but what should I do when ive none?
Thinking about the blue/red theme I posted earlier just seems kind of bleh, but im not real sure where to start.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build; My First.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 04:00:02 pm »
Bit of a break in between, but will be picking it up again. Had to focus on finals and had to figure out a few more things.

Base all done with the TV shelf on.

Sides up; took a bit to make sure they line up, but it worked out.

Side view of it.

Top and rear panels on; had to bend it in slightly, but it's all square now.

Full shot of it.

Close up. Have to cut one more panel, and thats where the speaks will rest on.

Rear view. This is what itll look when finished, no need to add any more panels

Frame for coin door, now I just need to cut it in half

My spare PC being put to use. P4 2.5ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd, 400watt (this will light up a few other things as well), radeon 9550. Tested it out with MAME and UMK3 and it worked fine, should run up to GC and PS2 gen fine.

PC will go inside there, not sure if I want to decase it and make a mount for it or not. Should be fine just in the case.

2.1 speaker system, cheap and good, sounds fine, and small footprint

20" TV. Slightly dissapointed; it's a Sony Trin w/ SVid which is good enough, and it does look good, but ill be looking for a bigged one (25~27"). Itll do for now. Ill have it made so that TVs can be easily interchanged if anything happened

Material List and Total Cost at the moment

Next step is the control panel, still working on a physical design for it, should have it done soon though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:17:13 pm by SephYuyX »

saurian333

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2014, 07:58:21 pm
  • "They must've spent tens of dollars on this."
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:39:44 pm »
Hey, you've got my computer case!  LOL...  Actually mine's been modded quite a bit; doesn't really look like that anymore.

The UAII is pretty common around here it seems, but I like it.  Especially with the 4-player CP, it has a certain "beefy" look without actually being ginormous.  Yours is looking good!

painterinfo

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade10
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:18 pm »
Looks like it is coming along nicely.

I decided to use thin square beading and screw the panels on from the inside on my cab.

Your thicker beading and screw/fill from the outside technique certainly looks quicker and easier. 
Scripting Wizard

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 10:54:27 am »
I have that exact speaker kit in one of my cabs. I will buy another for my next cab as well. Those are excellent for this purpose, and the volume knob/headphone jack can be mounted at a convenient place without any hacking.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:01 am »
Thanks guys, plan on working on the speaker/light shelf today, as well as the beginnings of the CP.
Current design and thoughts: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98731.msg1045828#msg1045828

Definitely finding out the CP is the most stressful part.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build; My First. (Updated: 12/23/09)
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:37 pm »
Two updates in one week? Arent you all happy now.
The big cutting is all done, and the cabinet is 'done', minus all the hours itll take making everything look pretty, and getting the CP perfect..

I finally had to buckle down and figure out a physical design for the control panel (CP) (the art on the other hand..) so I took near a whole day playing with photoshop to get that together. I think it came out pretty good. The green guide lines helped line things up

Without the guides. The black boarder is the the 5/8" MDF box the control panel will sit on and house the electronics and such

Total size is 37"x18" and curves in the front. 3 Joysticks, 2 being 8 way, and the top one being a 4 way for older games. 8 buttons per player, 2 start buttons, 2 coin buttons, 4 admin buttons, and 2 mouse buttons (these two will be connected to the SpinTrak Spinner), and a 3" U-Trak Trackball. Most are Happ components, but will be bought through GGG for a cheaper price. The Spinner and Trackball will be bought through Ultimarc, as well as an IPac2 which controls all of these things

Went to Kinkos to print it off, only $5, not bad at all.

Finally finished adding the cross beam support for the CP base, nice and sturdy now. The base will also latch on to the rear beam, and be detachable for maintenance and moving

Sides of the CP base up

All done

Side view of it, 4.5" height dropping to 3.5". I tried to cut the front and back peices at an angle too (only 2ish degrees) but it was just silly, so didnt bother

Added the speaker and light shelf finally too, 22.5 degree angle on the front to hold the marquee square

Pull back view of the 'completed' cabinet

Now with the CP base

Now with a 40x20" top thatll be carved out to look sexy. A 30" piano hinge will be put on the front face of the CP base so the CP can be lifted up to be looked at

Front close view of it

Nice looking side angle. The slots will be for the T-Molding if you dont recall from earlier

Put the cp print out on it just to see. The back of the cp will be straight, but the front will be curved to look soft

Pull back view of it completed

Side view of it

Angle view
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:21:22 pm by SephYuyX »

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 03:31:28 am »
Lots of pics; nice to see it coming along well!  Your CP looks excellent.  :cheers:

As a fellow n00b on his first project, I was wondering what made you decide to go with the IPac from Ultimarc.  I'm going to be ordering from GGG as well, and I planned on getting a Keywiz from them.  What did you find to be the major benefit of the IPac over the Keywiz?  Price seems about the same thing, and you're placing an order from GGG (who has the Keywiz) anyway, so I'm just curious.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 10:36:11 am »
Honestly the first thing I heard people talk about in threads and in their projects was IPac, and never heard about Keywiz till later down the road. I guess I just saw IPac as being the 'popular choice', and figured since it seems more people use it, theres a bigger support base for when/if im having issues with it. I never actually even looked at the differences btwn them sadly. Gogo consumerism.

Pretty much same for the reverse, I was set on wanting Happ Joys/Buttons, and that old leaf feel, so I went with GGG for those, and didnt end up hearing about some of Ultimarc stuff till later. Planning on getting NovaMatrix from GGG too.

RobbyMac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2019, 06:48:50 pm
  • My New years Resolution is 1400 x 900.
    • My cabinet build
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:34 pm »
Looks good man! I started on my cp last night, but I'm on hold till I get my trackball and spinner.
I thought about going rounded on the front lip, but decided to use (slightly rounded) corners to match the angles on the cabinet style.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 02:10:27 pm »
Nice build. I like that cab shape. Looks like it's rearing back to pounce....

:applaud:

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 11:16:12 pm »
Honestly the first thing I heard people talk about in threads and in their projects was IPac, and never heard about Keywiz till later down the road. I guess I just saw IPac as being the 'popular choice', and figured since it seems more people use it, theres a bigger support base for when/if im having issues with it. I never actually even looked at the differences btwn them sadly. Gogo consumerism.

Pretty much same for the reverse, I was set on wanting Happ Joys/Buttons, and that old leaf feel, so I went with GGG for those, and didnt end up hearing about some of Ultimarc stuff till later. Planning on getting NovaMatrix from GGG too.

OK, thanks.  Just wondering, because I can get everything together from GGG on the cheap.  Ultimarc's buttons are a fair bit more, and they are IL buttons (which are the same as Happ AFAIK).  I haven't heard anything bad about either the IPac or Keywiz; most reports around BYOAC are that they are both great interfaces.

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 08:06:25 am »
Looking good so far.  What do you have planned for artwork?  Please tell me you're going to use those skele-horsemen.  They're pretty sweet!  Are they from something or did you design them?
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:55:40 am »
Unfortunatly I dont have any artwork planned yet :/ Thats my last issue, everything else has been figured out, and just needs to be executed. The only thoughts I have is using the red/blue scheme above and add to it, or a new idea is a Griffin (the legendary creature kind) theme, else I may just pic out some premade theme from somewhere.

My avatar and sig come from a pixel artist named Paul Robertson, he does really great stuff. One of his animations: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5208311714700987326# Can find a lot more on youtube and his sites.

Hopefully Ill have an update for this weekend.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 10:19:48 am »
I like his sense of humor, but it's also a bit disturbing...  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:25:43 am by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 11:36:44 am »
A bit, but ive a twisted sense of humor, so fits well :p
Reminds me a bit of the Metal Slug games.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build; My First. (Updated: 1/19/10)
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
Is it time for another update? I guess so. Took a small break to enjoy the holidays, and to work out some details, but finally got in the mood to work on it again. This was the annoying stage of the project; puttying, sanding, lots of little detail things, but only more to come.. but at least the puttying is out of the way.

Close up view of the place where the marquee will be resting against. I may have to trim some of the 2x2 away show the light doesnt cast a shadow.

Im very very happy I found this TV. This is a different TV from the one I posted before. The previous one is 20", this one is 27", and it was complete luck I stumbled upon it. Same brand, just bigger, and got it for cheaper too. Ill have to sell the old one now. When I got this TV I was very happy, and this is really the best TV i could have gotten. Well, aside from an actual arcade monitor, if I had to pick a TV from all the TVs in the world, this would be #2. My #1 would be the same size, but with an RGB hookup. This one is an SVid, but it still looks great, better than RCA, and I can deal w/o component. Ill have to raise it up slightly and secure it in.

The time came to make the control panel. My options were to make my own, or buy. To make my own id use my full size template, cut it out of wood, buy plexi, buy a router bit, and then cut out the plexi using the wood as a template. However I stumbled upon OCIP a company in orange county who would cut out the plexi for me for 45$ Great deal, considering buying the plexi and the bit would cost about the same. So to save time and stress, I went with OCIP. Plus it's done with lasers, so no need to make any touchups if there are any.

However OCIP needed a vector drawing, and that would mean id have to use my nemesis, AutoCAD. Ive used it randomly in the past, and it's just everything I hate in one package. After using Photoshop and Illustrator for so many years, ACAD is completly bassakwards. So I downloed the newest trial version, got the hang of it and drew this up in about 2hrs. I just imported the image of my drawing, and traced red lines around it. If I knew how to use ACAD, this would have taken my about 5minuts, but oh well. It's done, and worked out perfectly.

Ah yes, my old friend mr coin door frame. Over the holidays I asked my Uncle Mark if he has something around his workshop to cut cast iron and luckily he did. So thanks to his effot he got it cut in half and shaped it up to look very good, and I have to say im quite happy with how it came out.

And here we go with the door just placed in the frame. Yup yup looks good.

And heres come the fun part.. filling the holes and sanding.. Sanding and painting are probably me two least favorite things when it comes to building things, but what are you going to do. I first had to sand down the little ridges around the holes.

I bought some all purpose bondo putty, and it's not very fun to work with. The putty comes in a paint can, and then the hardener comes in a squeeze tube. Both things smell bad, and doesnt like to cooperate. Take a scoop of the putty, put a bead of the hardener in a cup, mix, and then you have 5mins to work with it. This is the first coat, just to fill the holes. It took me four mixes to go over everything.

Heres the second coat. Looks pretty bad. I realised after the first coat that the stuff isnt easy to get off the putty knife, so it left divits on the knife, and when spreading the second coat, it left divits. It worked out in the end, just had to batter it on more. I used four more mixes. I used one more mix to fill random misscuts and such.

All I can say is hurray for power tools. Hand sanding this would have been a pain. It took me about two hours to sand everything down flat. It may look bad, but its all smooth. Once painted youll never know.

Well I finally got the plexi in from OCIP, oddly enough they gave me two of them, and dunno why. But wasnt charged for two, so oh well. 37x18” dimension (with radiused bottom) cut from a 1/8” thick clear acrylic plexiglass sheet. 31 holes in total, one being 3-1/2” in diameter and the other 30 holes in a 1-1/8” diameter. It came out perfect.

I didnt feel bad about using one plexi to be used as a template since the other one still has its film on. I didnt scratch it up, but it sure is getting dirty. I lined up the plexi on the wood, leaving a bit of play room, and traced out the sides and holes.

Everything Marked.

I cut out some construction paper to fit the circle, and poked a hole through it, and this let me find the center of all the holes quite quick. Ill be using a 1-1/8" spade bit to but them out.

I put the control panel ontop of some junk wood to reduce the tear out, and it worked pretty well, still a bit, but not bad. I poked the center of the holes with the bit, and then drilled one by one. It took about 5 minutes. I then grabbed my jigsaw, cut out the bigger hole, and off the sides and radius.

And here it is all cut out, looks good yup. Still needs to be sanded, but im going to be doing that later after I get my CP supplies in as ill have to do some chisel work to fit the joysticks and trackball, so ill finish it up later.

Here is is with the plexi places on top, looks good. Now to just figure out the graphics to place under the plexi..

View from the topfront.

Some sideage.

A front shot.

And an angled. Yup, looks good. More detail work to come..

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »
Control Panel supplies have been ordered! Ouf! Pricey, but this is the best price I possibly could have gotten short of buying used. Cant beat that shipping :) Ill post a break down of prices in my next big update. The bulk of the cost (a bit over $200) comes from the trackball and spinner; who knew you could charge so much for glorified mice.

I was originally planning to go with 3 or 4 different sellers as they carried only certain items, and some places were cheaper than others, however I was afriad of what the shipping would be, coming from 4 different places. But by some luck the owner of this webstore pointed me to his place where it had everything in one stop, so big props to him. Im hoping this all goes smoothly so I can give him a great recommendation.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:46:25 pm by SephYuyX »

painterinfo

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade10
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 06:10:22 am »
My first build I learned up and successfully hacked a kb controller and bought the US$39.95 two joysticks and 20 buttons package from xgaming.com
My last build I paid AU$230 for a mag stick, 2.5 inch track ball, ipac, optipac and 13 buttons.

Stuff the trackball, it's rubbish, I am going for the xgaming package next time and hacking another keyboard.

I.e. if you want a trackball go for a good one.

Ditching the trackball I would have saved over $100 dollars, I am still trying to work out if the coloured buttons and Magstick are worth the extra $90 bucks, ah I don't think so. I have yet to beat my high scores with the new setup. So dearer has not proved better for me.

BTW I used "Selleys Spakfilla Rapid" One wipe over with a flat spatular and then a light sand and it is done.  I used the same tub that I used for last years arcade machine build and have also used the same tub to fill several holes the kids put in the walls recently.

No mess, no stink, no fuss, lasts for more than one job. I don't know if you can get Sellies in your part of the world but "all purpose bondo putty" sounds like a nightmare.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:37:54 pm by painterinfo »
Scripting Wizard

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 01:45:23 pm »
Stuff the trackball, it's rubbish, I am going for the xgaming package next time and hacking another keyboard.

Ditching the trackball I would have saved over $100 dollars, I am still trying to work out if the coloured buttons and Magstick are worth the extra $90 bucks, ah I don't think so. I have yet to beat my high scores with the new setup. So dearer has not proved better for me.

Is the trackball really that bad?  Or you just don't use it enough to be worth the money?  I've mostly heard good things about them.  Ultimarc's stuff is generally reported to be high-quality.

Most people who've had the xgaming stuff say it's crap.  Besides, for that same $40, you could go on eBay and get 2 sticks + 12 or so buttons/switches, all Happ.  Or as I'm doing, get the same stuff from GGG for slightly less.  Not sure what it's like in the UK, of course.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 04:58:54 pm »
I picked up a couple of Happ 3" trackballs and couldn't be happier with them. They were pricey, but not as much as retail (I picked em up form Tornado Terry's , who's just down the road from me).

They're real arcade quality parts and they feel like it.

Plus, they're USB, so no additional controller to buy, just plug em into a hub and go. Mame has direct support via the Multi mice settings.

painterinfo

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade10
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2010, 06:50:06 pm »
Is the trackball really that bad?  Or you just don't use it enough to be worth the money? 

Yea sorry, I have to wait for the bearing's "bedding-in" period before I can properly comment, it is just that if you want a track ball and yes they are expensive, my opinion is that you may as well pay a bit extra and get the best like drventure's Happ 3" trackballs. 

Let us know how the U-Trak trackball goes SephYuyX :) It looks like it has some nice features.
Scripting Wizard

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: Scratch Build; My First. (Updated: 3/18/10)
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
Orz, back again.
Couldnt really do anything since the cold came, but it's been nice the past week, so did a tiny bit of work.

Hopefully ill be back in full swing soon.

Added some corner braces to the CP base for more strength.

Got a sheet of 6x24-7/8x.125" Diamond Plate for the bottom of the cabinet, I thought it would make it a bit more snazzy looking, and would help it from taking any extra damage.

Just setting it in place to see how it looks.

Ordered a ton of components:
.187 Female Quick Disconnects (100 pack)
8 Way Competition Joystick (Black)
4 Way MS Pac-Man/GALAGA Joystick (Red)
1 & 2 Player Pushbuttons (White)
Pushbutton Wrench
Concave Pushbutton w/ Horizontal Mircoswitch (White)
Concave Pushbutton w/ Horizontal Mircoswitch (Red)
Convex Competition Pushbutton w/ Horizontal Microswitch (Black)
I-PAC 2 Interface
SpinTrak Rotary Control Spinner w/ USB Interface
Flyweight for SpinTrak (Large)
Knob for SpinTrak (Large Red/Silver)
U-TRAK Trackball w/ USB Interface (CueBall White)
Trim Bezel for U-Trak

Spinner Stuff.

Joysticks.

Buttons.

Trackball Stuff.

Interface and Misc.

And here it is all laid out. Looks good I think at least.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
It's that time again.

Had to buckle down and cut some speaker holes. I wasnt sure which direction to go with them at first. I orginally thought I would just cut out rectangle-ish, and make a cover using speaker mesh. I also thought about using some sort of unique cut out design, but in the end I figured it woulder be easiest, and also the most authentic to go the way of the traditional slot cut.

Took a bit of thinking to figure out how to make a perfect straight line, but I 'duh'd' a bit after when I saw the router had a straight edge, so I just clamped down a straight line, and followed it, chewing out the holes.

While I dont think it came out perfect, it wasnt as circlish as I would have liked, and there are some slits jumps in it, but after sanding it doesnt look too too bad.

Finished shot. After a little more sanding, and paint, I doubt anything will be noticable. Also going to put some speaker mesh behind it so you cant see through it, as well as something to keep the marquee light from coming out.

I also had to figure out a way to mount the control panel base to the cabinet; I thought about using a latch, or something, but I came up with this idea after some pondering. This furring was mainly just used for support, and it didnt even occur to me to use it in this way.

So what I did was just drill a hole through it, use a 3" bolt, a washer, put it through the hole, another washer, and a bolt to keep it in place. The other two nuts are used as washers, and also help it keep the base in place.

Pic of both of them.

I drilled a hole in the base, and was lucky to see how perfectly it matched up. There were a lot of things while working on this project that just worked out perfectly without any advanced planning, I couldnt have planned a lot of things better even if I wanted to.

When dropped down, the nuts are tight within the hole, and keep the base from moving around.

With another washer and wing nute, it keeps the base from popping up.

View of both. It really worked out perfectly, and holds flawlessly, it doesnt budge at all.

I waived back and forth if I should fill this gap in front, it did look quite good, however it doesnt give a finished look, so I decided to fill it up. I didnt want to use all my bondo on this huge hole, and it would be hard to get it in such a big space, so I filled it with some random caulk I found in the garage. I let it harden for more than a week, and it more or less hardened fully.

So I globbed the bondo over it, filling it the rest of the way, and the surrounding area. Doesnt really matter what caulk I used, the bondo just needed to use it as a mold pretty much. Itll be set in stone forever. I love bondo, going to use it on everything now.

Sanded it up, and looks pretty good, just needs to be smoothed down a bit.

The other thing I needed to finish up was the control panel. Firstly I had to fit the button holes a bit better; I was a bit sloppy in my drilling so I had to do a bit of sanding to have the mdf and plexi match up, but oh well, it fits fine now.

The other thing I had to do was to route out some of the back so the joysticks andstrack ball fit properly and had enough length up top. The track ball fits perfectly with the trim on, but the joysticks still may be a bit too short for some people that use an under grip to play, but im not using ball tops for 1/2p, so it shouldnt matter. Im mainly worried about the the 4 way stick up top, it has a really short shaft, so I routed out a bit more than the other two, hopefully itll be fine. The other thing Im slightly worried about the the strength of the panel now, I think itll be fine, and I can always reinforce, but with rough playing, I dunno. Ill take that in to account later.

In order to mount the sticks, im using T-Nuts to give it a flush front, so I had to drill out a bit of relief for it to fit, yet again another thing that may weaken it slightly, but hopefully that wont be the case. Ill have to be very cautious when hammering them in. The trackball is mounted with blind nuts, so no need to drill through that.

Here are the TNuts with the bolts. Some 3/4 and 1/2, and I may need to use some washers and enlarge the holes on the sticks. I just couldnt find the right bolt that would fit properly. All of this work will be finished after I get painting.

Yet another thing I had to figure out was how to mount the glass. I thought about various ways, but was still iffy, so I asked my uncle for an idea, and he simply suggested a frame. Duh, I think I thought about it before, but quickly wrote it off for some reason I dont remember, so it never crossed my mind again. So a frame, plus a peice of hardware pushing up against it from the back will keep it in place. Ill also need to make a bevel to go behind the glass and in front of the tv. Of which ill have to slip the tv in from the back from now on. I didnt glue down the rear panels in anticipation of maintenance.

My miter work has always been iffy, and I had always done it the old box and saw way, but the box went missing, so I found an old home made one and it seemed like the angles were right on it. Took a bit of time, and a lot of sanding to get everything to fit right because of the different slops, but I think it worked out.

I bondo'd it up, covering the nail brads, and corners, and then sanded. I may have to chisel out the back flat side a bit to get the glass to fit flush against it

I think it came out pretty well. I like the rounded corners better that the sharp angles too. Again, just a bit of finish sanding should do the trick.

Annnd I also had to figure out how to mount the control panel to the base, so I figured a piano hinge would work best. I thought about just using some random hindges, but I think this way works best, and it did. Very strong, and I only had 4 screw is out of the like 30. The front panel of the base has just enough of a gap to perfectly fit the hindge. Again one of those mistakes that worked out for the best.

I thought about using some sort of wire strand between the panel and base to keep it from going forward to much.. but here it is with just 4 screws, and no back support, and it's doing well, so I may not add anything. It will rarely ever be in this position anyway.

I then had to figure out how to keep the panel from popping up and down when playing, so again I thought of using some soft of hand applied latch, but yeah, id have to be able to get my hand underneth to get access to it, or drill a hole underneth to reach it. So the best way I figured out was to just use a blind roller latch. Mental tongue on the panel, and the roller latch on the base, and they just snap together very fluidly, and it works perfectly.

I had originally planned to leave the speaker panel ungluded to be taken off for maint, and easy access to the speakers and lights, but when putting the frame in, I realized that wouldnt work. So I ended up gluing it up, and bondoing the screws.

I had the TV in to figure out how to mount it from falling out, but when sat it, it his the back panel and keeps it in place, so I dont think Im going to be latching it down since it sits in there nicely. However another issue is, is that the angle of the screen and the angle of the cabinet wernt even so I had to raise the tv front up a bit to get them even. I toyed around with a few ways to do this.. but a simple 26"x1.5" strip of mdf holding it up does the trick no problem.

Just a random shot. Ive been so busy with all these little things, that it just made it kind of unfun to work on the thing. Im a very meticulous person, so instead of measure twice, cut once, its measure 20 times, think about it in different angles, then cut, and then some other stuff. So things that would take someone who does this daily 5 minutes, itll take me 2hrs. But in the end I know itll pay off. One thing ive seen with some of these homemade arcade machines is that they looked real rushed, and no real care went in to them. I wanted to make this with the best of my ability (minus a little). There would be a few things I would do differently, but nothing really enough to drive me crazy. I think it all turned out well.

Wait, that sounded like a wrap up. Does that mean im done? Yup, I think I am, ive completed all the construction of the cabinet. There are some slight additions ill need to add like glass retainer, a bevel, the marquee back lights, and speakers, but all those will have to be done after painting. Yes.. painting.. since im done with construction, the next step is priming after a bit more sanding.

And then it came down to the design.. yes the design.. something ive been thinking about before I bought the first peice of wood, however I think I finally came to a decision. I printed out the template I made, and saw that I was off, so ill have to keep that in mind. I dont know how I made this mistake when cutting the mdf to be off that much, but it should be fine.

This is it! Well, sort of. Just a quick mock up. A few months back I decided I wanted to go with a griffin theme, and found this really cool griffin design, but I had no idea what to use as a background. So I just was randomly looking around and realized that yeah, I like me some old japanese/chinese art, and started looking around. After awhile I managed to find this very old japanese drawing, and I think itll work out fine. Obviously I have a lot of tweeking to do, this wont be the final design, dont worrk. Plus I still have to work out the details of the control panel overlay, and the marquee. But at least I know which path im going. And a name to go with it? Ill be calling the machine, 'The Griffin'.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
Fabulous project. I hope to do one similar soon. Are you going to be posting your blueprints and materials list? This is a great project for newcomers to look at.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Thanks :) And I include an updated material list at the end of each post. As far as the blueprints, im not sure yet, but maybe :p

Gorotsuki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2011, 10:51:25 pm
Great job!
That Griffin artwork is going to be awesome.
27 inch Trinitron, bet your still aching from lifting that beast.
Got one myself, they do have a good picture with the svideo.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.

Welp, so the time has come to prime and paint, but first comes priming, how I hate thee. Before shot.

After first coat. Took about an hour to do this, it just soaked up so much primer. I originally wanted to prime the whole thing.. but meh, figured id forgo that and just prime what was necessary.

After te second coat. Went much faster, probably 20 minutes, and most of the time was filling in the seams between panels because I didnt want to putty them. Still not sure if im going to regret that or not. Probably, but hopefully a lot of finish coats of paint will solve that. It wont be noticable anyway.

I have to say it looks better than staring at brown MDF, but only half way there. Now I just need to sand again, and find the right kind of paint. Some spots need a bit of heavy sanding, but nothing too bad, shouldnt take a long time.

Ah yes, so this is the near final verion of the side art. I say near final just because I havent asked anyone to take a look over it yet. Im pretty happy with it, so itll probably stay the same, maybe some slight changes if anything. The red line just the template. Just remembered I forgot to add the cost of the griffin to the spread sheet, oh well next time. But that whole thng was an ordea; istockphoto is a horrible company, but tend to have good artists, so i had to bite the bullet. They have tiers of credits you can buy, of course you cant buy 1 at a time, only 12, or 26, 40, etc. This one cost 20 creds, so ofcourse I would have to buy the 26 creds, wasting money. Luckily I found someone giving out 10 free creds, so only had to buy the 12 cred package for 19$ Luckily the artist was nice enough to make this two images in one, where it's possible to remove the placard. I know what youre thinking 'you didnt draw/make it' oh well, im not that good, and only 10 other people in the world have this same image, so its original enough.

And here is the CPO art, again, something I was worried about, but I think itll come out good. Designing arty stuff is not my strong point, but oh well, it's better than my original idea of the blue and red thing.

Annnd the marquee. Finding a good font was hard, but I think this one will work out good. Im not sure sure if I want to keep in that color though. After looking back at the CPO and side art, I think the marquee is lacking something, I think i may add a background to it. Theres a line between something busy, and not busy at all, but this image seems it may need some busyness.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:58:58 am by SephYuyX »

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Fabulous project. I hope to do one similar soon. Are you going to be posting your blueprints and materials list? This is a great project for newcomers to look at.

This is basically an Ultimate Arcade II:

http://www.mameroom.com/ProductDetail.asp?ID=UAIIPLANS

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
When I first started looking around for cabinet ideas, the UAII was the design I liked best, however I didnt use any of their blueprints. I just opened up visio and started playing around till it looked fairly close with some added changes (ie, no keyboard pullout thing). Everything aside from the side panels was cut on the fly.

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
Re: "The Griffin" (Updated: 6/28/10)
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:46 pm »
Just a small entry today, though I have moved my machine in from the garage in to the house, so it's begun the finalization steps. Ill have a bigger update this weekend probably.

In the mean time.
I planned on using Maximus Aracde as my frontend, and saw that it had the ability to run an intro movie.. so I wanted to make a simple one.

I wanted to make an intro for my arcade machine I built, and this is what I came up with. My goal was to represent some of the most iconic games, along with some of the most fun, well known, and ones that I enjoyed as well. 68 games along with my personal arcade graphics at the end.

In near order: Altered Beast, Area 51, Arkanoid, Blast Master, Bust a Move, Centipede, Chrono Trigger, Contra, Dragon Ball, Defender, Descent, Donkey Kong, Dragons Lair, Duck Hunt, Ecco, Excite Bike, Final Fantasy, Frogger, Galaga, Ghouls n Ghosts, Golden Tee, Goldeneye, Joust, Kirby, King of Fighters, Lemmings, Lufia, Mario, Mega Man, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Slug, Metroid, Missle Command, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Ninja Gaiden, Off Road, PacMan, Pinball, Pitfall, Pokemon, Pong, portal, Phantasy Star, Punch Out, QBert, RType, Shinobi, Simpsons, SmashTV, Sonic, Sould Edge, Space Invaders, Star Fox, Star Wars, Street Fighter, Tecmo Super Bowl, Tekken, Tetrix, TMNT, Tron, Uniracers, Unreal, Virtual On, Worms, XMen, and Zelda.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:54:54 pm by SephYuyX »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2010, 03:31:43 pm »
So, 2 extra minutes added to your start-up. I see that getting old pretty fast.  :afro:

SephYuyX

• Offline Offline
  • I Am, Who I Am.
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »
It's skippable :p I made sure of that first haha.

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2010, 04:38:34 pm »
That is pretty long, you should use this one instead...