Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: System Requirements for AAE  (Read 2794 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
System Requirements for AAE
« on: June 27, 2009, 06:18:04 pm »
From what I have read my system should play AAE but I am having performance issues.  I'm wondering if I need to upgrade my video card.

I have a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 1GB of RAM running Windows XP.  My video card is a Radeon 9700 Pro.

The games run and look fantastic but are very slow compared to Mame.  Just curious if anyone else has AAE running with similar specs.

aae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
Re: System Requirements for AAE
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:04:11 pm »
Nah, the problem is my crappy programming. Now, fixed optimized and code profiled.

Look for a release in 1 or two months. 

Thanks!
Tim

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:19:10 pm »
That's great to know.  I like your AAE so much I was looking at motherboards and video cards this weekend!  I will wait for your next release. 

Thank you for writing this.   :cheers:

moonchilddave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2021, 01:21:04 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:33 am »
Just wondering how close this is to the new release... I've been wanting to try this out, and am wondering if perhaps I might want to wait for the new version before I start playing - but if the new release is still a while away, I may go ahead and see how the current version performs on my system.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:40:58 pm »
Just wondering how close this is to the new release... I've been wanting to try this out, and am wondering if perhaps I might want to wait for the new version before I start playing - but if the new release is still a while away, I may go ahead and see how the current version performs on my system.

Try it now. It's not like you have to build it or anything.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

taylormadelv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 01:30:36 pm »
I'm looking for a cheap graphics card that will run AAE. Many people have posted old cards that worked but aren't currently for sale new. Will an NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 get it done? I need a PCI card with D-Sub output.
Will this work?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139143
Thanks!

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:17:37 pm »
Am I the only one who has no idea what AAE is? :dunno
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 03:22:01 pm »
It's a vector game emulator that requires a decent system and video card to perform well.

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
I am building a system specifically dedicated just to AAE, in particular to run Asteroids Deluxe in my AD upright cabinet. I've got mame running AD perfectly except the bullets don't GLOW. I'm just a bit nervous about how the audio for AD will sound in AAE. The sound in AD needs to be just right and I've had roms play the sounds with the wrong pitch...

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »
Have you considered a vector monitor and VectorMAME instead?

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 10:49:32 am »
If the vector monitor still worked, I would have kept the game original. ZVG also has many issues, not the least being that it is no longer sold new anymore.
I think AAE is a genius concept and I'm real excited to see it in action. I can recycle 19" VGA CRT's and make things look really nice and have little to no worries about things breaking on me and making complicated repairs down the line.
I'm having a computer custom built just to run AAE and I should have it running later today!

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 04:16:02 pm »
Well a P4 1.8 ghz, 512 Mb Ram and an ATI Radeon 9650 Pro 256mb would run the games only at 50% speed. The best I could get was 32 out of 60 frames/sec. I could not find any adjustments for frameskip, if there are any. Had to send the comp back. ;( Was it the graphics card that slowed me down here?

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 05:31:48 pm »
Slow CPU and low ram. The card sounds like the best part.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 02:55:24 pm »
Slow CPU and low ram. The card sounds like the best part.

Yeah. .....why would you have such a low processor PC 'custom built'? For anything?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 11:31:47 am »
I had no idea what the system requirements for AAE were, still in the dark really and I tried doing a "custom build" on the cheap. I wanted to do this under $100 which looks like will be impossible for me. I did get to see AAE in action though and I'm not certain I feel it is worth all this extra work and expense to get glows and trails on a few vector games. I may have pushed the settings too far and things looked a bit "cartoonish" to me but I probably pushed settings too far.
Even though Asteroids Deluxe was only running at half speed, the sounds didn't seem right to me, even compensating for the lost frames, it didn't sound quite right to me and accurate sound in AD is extremely important to me. Accurate sounds in AD are more important than glows and trails for me, so I'm gonna stick with my old G4 running an old OS9 version of mame for now.