Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My humble attempt! (FINISHED)  (Read 18073 times)

Nacimroc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
My humble attempt! (FINISHED)
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:36:52 pm »
Finished item: (without having to scroll through the thread)

Right, here we go! Always wanted to build one of these but had no intention until i found this site. I planned it for months, read every thread. Finally decided about 2 months ago to kick off with my build.

It was based on Martijn's build (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84649.0). I got a basic idea but just as i was about to cut the sides i seen Epyx design (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=96465.0)  and was dumbstruck! I changed a few angles and made a mashup for both.

I based it around a 22'' sanyo CRT TV screen. It had to be thin enough to fit up a stairs and into my computer room.  I went with laminate as i HATE sanding, really, no joking, I hate it!!!

I only wanted to post this thread as I've read so many threads it might help someone else with their own build! (Probably not and will just be ridiculed instead ;D) Before anyone says it, I know the CP is too slanted, thats been fixed now!

Heres a few pics of what I've done up till now.

I haven't removed the protective sheet on the laminate yet! I won't until its built! Thats a rule i made to myself!

I have a bit more done since but my phone broke so need to borrow a camera. The TV the cab was based around broke on me yesterday so I spent all day getting a new one.

I'm an idiot to all of this and never done anything like this before so please go easy on me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:49:39 pm by Nacimroc »

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
Re: My humble attempt!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »
Forgot to say, I love every bit of this build! It might turn out $hit, but its keeping me occupied while I'm unemployed! If anyone is debating building one, just do it! Its not that hard and if you think you'll get bored half way through, you won't! By the time you get bored of doing something you are on to the next step!

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:47:35 pm »
Hiya Nacrimroc, grats!  :cheers:

Glad you posted your build. Looking great! What are you doing for joysticks and button configs?

Also, I love the laminate protection film cover...I wish Home Depot here sold it with that in place :(

So far ive been lucky but one bad move and scraaaatch...

I bet you can't wait till it's playable, I know I can't!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:04:49 pm »
Nice! At first I thought the CP might be angled a bit much, but it looks good in that last picture. Nice work so far!

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:31:01 am »
Looking goood :)

Have you cahnged the angle of the CP? It does look different in the last picture to the others.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 05:37:20 am »
Nice looking cab you're building there.

The laminate I'm using doesn't come with a protective film, so I have chosen the route of finishing the build, almost down to the very last screw, dismantling it, laminating the panels then re-assembling. That in itself may throw up some unforeseen problems, but I guess I'll find out?  
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 06:05:13 am »
Thanks all! Ya, I made it WWWAAAYY too slanted at first, but made some wedges to bring the angle up before i laminated it. The laminate i bought is very easily broke! It snaps like thin glass so the cover helped while putting it on aswell.

Whilst laminating my flush trim bit went dull and chipped the edges on one side. I should have adjusted the bits debth whilst moving along.

For artwork I plagerised knievels amazing CP. I am absolutely hopeless with photoshop and this was my first time trying! I just tried to throw something together for a marquee. They are being printed this morning, BUT instead of getting them done at mamemarquees for $134, Im getting both done for 25 Euro in a local shop. That includes laminating the CP and acrylic for the marquee!

I got 2 u360's as well as the U-traks trackball. I'm going with the illuminated buttons from ultimarc aswell! I bought a sample one and it looks great!  The blue ones on the left of this image:

I got the silent none clicky micro switches thingys from GGG aswell.

If anyone wants more photos you can go to http://nacimroc.com/ft2.php.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:11:03 am by Nacimroc »

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:03 am »
Nice looking cab you're building there.

The laminate I'm using doesn't come with a protective film, so I have chosen the route of finishing the build, almost down to the very last screw, dismantling it, laminating the panels then re-assembling. That in itself may throw up some unforeseen problems, but I guess I'll find out?  

I don't know if you've laminated before but, in my humble opinion I'd paint all the edges first. In 1 or 2 spots there is a gap between the laminate and the t-molding. It left some clear wood spots which meant i spent a whole evening going around painting all the edges of my expensive laminate with a tiny brush. In one spot the t-molding went a little off so the wood is clearly visible! This was a huge deal, but if i painted the edges first I wouldn't have even noticed.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:12:28 pm »
Got a bit more done! I tinted the acrylic and cut a bezel out of laminate, but will def change this at some stage! Artwork was suppose to be ready for Friday but he got flooded (2ft+ of water)!

The speaker grills are 2 x 120mm dust fans off ebay! They used to be chrome but i sprayed them since!

CD-Rom should be accessible through the coin door!

My PC

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 06:42:57 am »
... I'd paint all the edges first. In 1 or 2 spots there is a gap between the laminate and the t-molding.

Yeah, that's the plan. The sides of my cab are yellow laminate, with the whole centre of the machine in black laminate, so I intend to cut the T slot first, then use slide a piece of card along the slot to allow each side to be sprayed according to the different colours of laminate.

I love how this is shaping up. That last photo looks really sweet.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 07:18:36 am »
Looking great!  :applaud: If I were to change anything, it would be that the coin door could be higher up, and those "feet" sticking out in the front seem a bit too much. If they would have ended where the front door meets the sides, it would look even better IMHO, but it's not my build, so I'll just congratulate you on your efforts.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 07:36:28 am »
The coin door does seem too far down! I have no idea why it cut the slot that low! Think i just put it half way along piece to be symetrical. All the joys of a first build though! Half the fun is correcting all these mistakes for my next build which I'm thinking about already! I can't do anything else until I get the artwork so I'm annoyed but I'm in the planning stages of a new jukebox project I wanna start!

I can't wait for the big unveil when i take off all the protective cover! Makes such a difference.

Quick question, what do people use for holding there CP down. I have 2 of them clip and hook things but then I need to reach in from the inside back to unhook which is a long reach. Are there any other options ?

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 02:30:03 pm »
Few more pics!

Just the wiring left now!

Can't wait to rip off the protective cover!

Coin door being too low is driving me mad already! Might turn that piece upside down to make it higher!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:31:52 pm by Nacimroc »

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 03:31:41 pm »
I really like what you have done with this cab. I think the way the sides kick forwards at the top and bottom really make it. Really nice work.

The coin door is a little low as you say, but I would get used to it. Think of it as a good excuse to build another cab with a higher coin door  ;) How cool would that look? two of these babies side by side  ;D

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 03:38:05 pm »
I really like what you have done with this cab. I think the way the sides kick forwards at the top and bottom really make it. Really nice work.

Agreed, this cab is looking really nice!

The coin door is a little low as you say, but I would get used to it. Think of it as a good excuse to build another cab with a higher coin door  ;) How cool would that look? two of these babies side by side  ;D

If you can flip the front panel without damaging things, I'd go for it. I know that it would bug the crap out of me too.. But I think if you built a second one just like it with a fixed coin door area, and they were side by side that would bother you even more. ;)

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 05:37:32 pm »

Thanks! All the credit has to go to Epyx and Martijn! Its all their design! Hope they see it as flattery and not just blatant plagerism!

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 05:45:54 pm »
I'm going to use a Push button to hide my usb port! I'm not planning on putting ports switches etc anywhere on my cab so thought this would be handy! Might inspire someone!

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 09:28:37 pm »
What a great idea hiding the USB port under a button. I am out of the scene but if you are the first to think of it, then congrats. Awesome idea!

Living the delusional lifestyle.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:00 pm »
Could you provide the details for that USB port/adapter you're using (i.e., part number, place of purchase, etc.)?  I need something just like that for my cab.
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 10:38:00 pm »
I am also going to try make a pushbutton work as a volume control instead of spending crazy money on spinners or a griffin powermate or something similar!

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219901  It says on packet the make is "Neutrik" NAUSB USB genderchanger! The silver shell is easily removable leaving a circular piece of plastic!

blueznl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 10:51:57 am »
I shouldn't be saying this but a little bit of yellow T-molding and some batman artwork would fit well  ;D

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:06 pm »
Damn! Wish I'd thought of that beforehand!

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 10:21:58 pm »
Nice idea on the "Hiding the USB Port".

Very cool.

I've used USB Gender changer for this sort of purpose. They're cheap and will easily fit into small places. I just used epoxy to lock it in place once set.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 12:29:04 am »
Man, I keep picturing how it will look once the laminate protection is peeled off ;)

I also like how the extreme curves look on the top portion of the cab, and the sloped CP looks better the more I look at it. And I have to agree with blueznl...yellow T Molding and  Batman artwork would have looked absolutely fantastic on this cab.  However, even with the stock art it looks great!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:03:36 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 04:18:38 pm »
Finally finished it! Most of it was done a couple of weeks ago but finished 99% now! Be gentle..

Shaving light was waay to white so put in blue cold cathodes instead

The photos below make the lights look alot stronger than they actually are! They dont really do it justice! I put the one under the control panel today but I'm not sure to leave it or take it off ?

(The curves not aligned at the edges is driving me mad - too late now)

Only thing left is the bezels for the coin door which looks like it will never be done! Can anyone please try answer this thread http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98193.0

The whole cab turns on and is shelled to go straight into maximus arcade without seeing windows. One button turns the cab on and off!

If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to ask! If your looking at this debating to build a cab or not, just do it! Alot easier than you think and great satisfaction from it!

saurian333

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2014, 07:58:21 pm
  • "They must've spent tens of dollars on this."
    • My b(uild)log
Re: My humble attempt! (FINISHED)
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 02:06:55 am »
Holy crap, that's a nice looking cab!   :notworthy:

I love the sort of hybrid shape you came up with, and the CP (actually I think I'm just a sucker for CPs; I haven't seen many that I don't like).  The light underneath the CP is pretty slick; is that a spot of some kind, or one of those super-bright LEDs, or...?

bgspot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:37:52 pm
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 03:41:02 am »
Thats a sweet cab, blue and black is always a nice combination  :cheers:

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 06:58:54 am »
It looks great. You must be very happy   :)

I bet it was soooo satisfying to peel the protective film off the laminate  ;D

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
Thanks! I was smiling the whole time i was ripping that cover off! Absolutely delighted now! The LED's under the CP are them super bright LED's little module things that go under a trackball! I was going to use cold cathodes but there wasn't enough clearance for them not to be seen! I'm not sure about them as my coin door problem doesn't look like its going to be sorted any time soon. Will probably end up doing a bad DIY job on it and lights will highlight the bad job!

I wish I done the shape a bit differently, but its my first build so these things are to be expected I suppose! I'm debating to put one of them MAME circular stickers on the side ? I only left the sides bare because the laminate was so expensive I couldn't bring myself to cover any of it  :lol

P.S. That 12 core cable you sold me Franco was perfect for the CP job and got used on another project aswell!  :applaud:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:58:48 am by Nacimroc »

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:50:41 am »
Great looking cab.   You should be congratulated for a great first build. :applaud: :applaud:

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2019, 03:50:11 pm
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »
Wow! That's an awesome looking cab. Congrats! Is it really your first build? ;)
Finished project: "The Saloon Arcade" - 2 player upright cabinet

Joystick.net - Retro gaming news and reviews

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:33 pm »
Good deal, about the CP LEDs; looks very slick.

I wish I done the shape a bit differently, but its my first build so these things are to be expected I suppose! I'm debating to put one of them MAME circular stickers on the side ? I only left the sides bare because the laminate was so expensive I couldn't bring myself to cover any of it  :lol

Can I suggest looking for or trying to come up with something else for the artwork?  I personally think MAME themes can look pretty cool if they're done right (I'm adding a MAME logo to my own cab, redesigned to fit the rest of my theme), but I know other people here have gotten fairly sick of them, and I do see where they're coming from.  It's kind of overused, and I suppose relatively uncreative.  Since you came up with such a cool design and a first build that turned out really well, maybe something a bit more personal and unique would be more suitable.  Especially if you're going to spend the money having a graphic printed on vinyl, why get something so many other people have?  You built the thing yourself, and it deserves better!

Up to you, naturally!  Just my $.02.  :blah:

Again, great cab all-around.  My cocktail is also my first, and I know it won't be that nice!  You should be proud.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 03:19:42 pm »
Thanks for comments all!

The artwork was the most frustrating part of this whole project! I agree 100% its a way overused BUT I am hopeless with photoshop and just about managed to copy knievels CP artwork (thanks to his tutorial and some members on here)! I think the cost of full side artwork is excessive but I would happily spend it if i could design something to put on it!

On the other hand, everyone on here see's this as the same old boring MAME logo's etc. but people not in the know (family/friends) thinks its great as its all new to them! So a decision, who am i building this for...or to sell it in future maybe! 

Almost finished the screenshots/videos etc now so a bit more button config and it should be 100% done!

Time to start my juke now  :applaud: (This hobby is definitely a disease)

bgspot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 10, 2020, 12:37:52 pm
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 06:05:33 pm »

On the other hand, everyone on here see's this as the same old boring MAME logo's etc. but people not in the know (family/friends) thinks its great as its all new to them!

Thats a good point. I say don't be in a rush to come up with anything. You've done the hard part (the build & software), just leave it as is and if/when a good idea for art comes to you then you can always change it.

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 12:03:01 am »
On the other hand, everyone on here see's this as the same old boring MAME logo's etc. but people not in the know (family/friends) thinks its great as its all new to them! So a decision, who am i building this for...or to sell it in future maybe! 

I agree, that is a good point.  I think it would be cool, though, to have your own, more individual artwork (whether you actually draw it or not is beside the point; there's a whole Internet full of free artwork) on the sides and such would be a better fit.  You can keep the MAME marquee for that great purpose of drawing outsiders' interest.  I think that would be enough, and the marquee is interchangeable anyway (generally), so you can simply swap it out if you get sick of it.

But again, that's what I would do, and just a suggestion.  Don't take it to mean I think it's any less awesome just because you're putting generic MAME art on it!

Time to start my juke now  :applaud: (This hobby is definitely a disease)

:lol  That it is!  I've already got plans for an upright (which, incidentally, I don't exactly have room for), and I'm nowhere near done with my cocktail.  Good luck on the juke; many of the jukes I've seen around here are at least as impressive as the arcade cabs.  There's even more room for creativity on one of those, I think, since you don't have the same size and weight limitations, and a bit less concern for durability even.

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:18 am »
What are those joysticks?
Never seen the gray boxes before...

Nice job.
Have fun with it.  :cheers:

edge10

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2014, 03:49:58 pm
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 11:04:58 am »
Very sweet build!  :applaud:

Looks like I need to spend more time in the 'Project Announcements' forum.
Please remind me NOT to argue on the Internet!
Joel Robinson: People don't mean to be obnoxious, it's just that they're all screwed up inside.

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 04:06:05 pm »

Thanks again for replies! Family and friend will always say its good, but compliments from other people who know just how much effort goes into one of these is alot better!

What are those joysticks?
Never seen the gray boxes before...

Nice job.
Have fun with it.  :cheers:

The gray boxes are just empty junction boxes that i used to hold all the excess wires that were cluttering up the CP! The joysticks are U360's (the green PCB's)

80s Kid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2010, 09:48:11 pm
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »
This thing looks awsome. I really love the curves to it...and by the way, i am going to be using that usb button hiding idea since i have been stumped on how i am going to hide my usb. Thank you :D

saurian333

• Offline Offline
    • My b(uild)log
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 10:01:41 pm »
The gray boxes are just empty junction boxes that i used to hold all the excess wires that were cluttering up the CP! The joysticks are U360's (the green PCB's)

Nice idea.  I've seen several different ways of hiding wires, but yours is the most simple one that still looks pretty good.

By the way, that's a great BD drive you've got in there. ;)  I have the BD-RE/HD-DVD version, and it's a very nice drive.