Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Steve Ritchie interview on "A Life Well Wasted" podcast.  (Read 3407 times)

Namco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2024, 06:22:32 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
Steve Ritchie interview on "A Life Well Wasted" podcast.
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »
Hey all. Just wanted to let you know about a great Steve Ritchie interview I heard on one of my favorite podcasts, A Life Well Wasted. Pick it up over at their website: http://alifewellwasted.com/2009/11/25/episode-five-help/

Robert Ashley interviews Steve Ritiche in the 3rd segment and covers his history getting started designing some of the most prolific Williams, Bally, & Stern pinball tables and some other interesting anecdotes.

If you haven't heard a life well wasted it is a smart, highly-produced podcast that blends jazzy electronic music with a gaming themed podcast. Robert Ashley was a contributing editor for EGM and CGW and now is a freelance journalist and part-time musician. It's a great podcast if you haven't heard of it already, you should check it out.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 03:52:39 pm by Namco »

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
Re: Steve Ritchie interview on "A Life Well Wasted" podcast.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:26 pm »
It's a great interview, and kind of heartbreaking at the same time. The story he tells about the Black Knight 2k unveiling is a classic.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:45:48 pm »
I'll give it a listen, but I think he's got kind of a nasty streak for blaming other people when things don't go well.

Atari pins a flop?  That's because of manufacturing problems.

Laid off from Williams?  Well... I can't recall the excuse on that one.

Laid off from Stern?  That's because Gary Stern just doesn't get it.

etc.

I've heard a fair bit of excuses from Steve Ritchie but at the same time I do like several of his games. He does seem to have an excuse for just about everything though so I guess it depends on whose propaganda you want to listen to.

EDIT: Understand I do think that Steve Ritchie is a good guy from talking to him but the whole story between him and the pinball industry is very back and forth.  I just see a bunch of pointing fingers and only some personal accountability. Again I still like Steve Ritchie and I don't completely understand the whole situation of who did what.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:36:48 pm by Pinball Wizard »
Where's my gold star :P

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 07:00:35 pm »
There are no excuses in this interview. He places the blame of the going away of the pinball industry on market forces and blames himself for staying in pinball too long and not moving into the slot machine business.

Pinball Wizard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:33:32 pm »
There are no excuses in this interview. He places the blame of the going away of the pinball industry on market forces and blames himself for staying in pinball too long and not moving into the slot machine business.

What was said earlier doesn't refer to the interview but other things said from Steve Ritchie.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:06:31 am »

Employment stability, I'm thinking. 

Jeff AMN

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 12:50:06 pm »

Employment stability, I'm thinking. 

Pretty much. He's in bad shape these days financially and his physical challenges aren't helping much at all.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:41:23 pm »
his physical challenges aren't helping much at all.

Then he shouldnt have double dared them.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Pinball Wizard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:46 pm »
... physical challenges aren't helping much at all.

He can hardly stand or even hear anymore. At Pinball Expo they had a "fireside chat" and every question was repeated into his microphone box (maybe a hearing-aid). I personally think he's a good guy but his creative view gets in the way of several things as with most any artist.

Namco

• Offline Offline
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »
Saw him at California Extreme twice. Once talking about pinball design where he had his computer hooked up to the projector showing the CAD program he uses to design pinball tables. The complexity of it was pretty astounding, not just playfield elements but also plastics, ramps, toys, and the angles of all the shots mapped out. Zoomed out. With the all the layers turned on it looked like a complete mess. It was astounding how complex it all was and that he could still understand it. He also was on the Atari panel later in the day. He had less to say in the Atari panel, but he didn't seem to miss a question or appear out of it at all.