Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: '86 Sega Outrun Restoration  (Read 23308 times)

jeffhlewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2018, 06:15:57 pm
    • Lewisjeff.com
'86 Sega Outrun Restoration
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
I needed an excuse to come back onto the BYOAC boards after my MAME build (Neo Geo MVS Mini - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81845.0), so I picked up an original, working Sega Outrun deluxe upright off of Craigslist.

My first experience with Outrun was when I received the Sega Master System version of it as a sixth birthday present. I was hooked from day 1 and played it to death. I think I still have the 8-bit soundtrack playing in my head somewhere. Imagine my surprise the first time I saw the arcade version - totally blew me away. It's such a milestone game in the industry and it's the first thing I think of when I think of Sega back in their heyday (and I very much consider Sega to be a dead shell of its former self - it died with the Dreamcast IMHO).

So goes without saying - probably my favorite game of all time. I own every version of it on a Sega home system from SMS all the way up to the Japanese Sega Ages version and Shenmue. I even bought a copy of the original soundtrack from Japan.

I've been waiting for one of the non-turbo uprights to pop up on Craigslist Chicago or Milwaukee since I moved up here and low and behold one popped up a last week in Milwaukee for $150 in working condition (though it by no means is in good condition - needs a lot of love). Monitor works, boards work, steering wheel motor works and the game plays with sound so the four essentials are there. A very nice gentlemen who has quite a collection of projects in his garage sold it to me - he says he lurks around here from time to time so if you're reading this - thanks a ton for the help loading it into the truck! Loading it off the truck into my single car garage though - not too much fun. Nearly broke my truck's tailgate and I pulled a groin muscle. Ouch. Took 4 people to get it off the truck!

I scoured the PCB for the dreaded Hitachi suicide chip and couldn't find anything suspicious so I think I'm in the clear in that respect. The board is revision B.

This is my first restoration so it should be an interesting experience and a lot different than building from scratch. My checklist for the moment:

-Post video of unit in action
-Take photos for "before" records
-Inventory all parts - what needs to go, what can stay, what needs to be repaired
-Buy a wet/dry shop vac and clean out 25+ years of ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of the innards. This thing is DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY. Never seen anything like it.
-Begin sourcing the parts I need online
-Wrap in cellophane and store it for the coming Wisconsin winter. Once things warm up it'll be my summer project.

Video coming very soon.

Can't wait to start the project!

Ninten-doh

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
Re: '86 Sega Outrun Restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:42:02 pm »
Looking forward to this.  Share some pics when you can.   :cheers:

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:26 pm »
Quick and dirty video of the unit + short gameplay clip:

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 09:59:42 am »
Hey Jeff,
Aside from being a bit dirty, looks like you got yourself a nice working Outrun!

After looking at the video, I've put together a list of some things that might be helpful...

Manual:
PDF version of the manual...http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Outrun.man.pdf

Steering Wheel Center Cap:
These are always missing, but fortunately a reproduction was just made ($26.99)...

The same place (www.videogameparts.com) that sells this center cap is also a great resource for other Outrun and Sega parts you might need.
http://www.videogameparts.com/product.sc;jsessionid=1B74BC5EB4F6C6A978FBBF37CCC02F05.qscstrfrnt02?productId=928&categoryId=49

Floor mat:
A new floor mat really makes the game look new.  Someone on the KLOV arcade forum was selling this for $15 shipped awhile back.  If you're interested, I can get his email address for you.  Here's a pic from his "for sale" post back in February...

Outrun map for bezel:
Looks like the map is missing from the silver bezel.  Couple of options here.  I have two scans of the map that you can try getting printed.  One is darker and one is lighter.  I've never tried using them, so I have no idea if they are scaled properly or how accurate the colors are.  I've only restored Outrun mini's, so I've never had to deal with the map and don't have one handy to compare. 
Files can be found here: http://picasaweb.google.com/jarcade99/OutrunFiles?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXV2YWYmO6N6gE#

You can also try finding an original, but they don't pop up to often.  There's one on ebay right now, but it's got some slight issues (not too bad though in my opinion):  http://cgi.ebay.com/Out-Run-OutRun-Sega-NOS-Game-Control-Panel-Map-Sticker_W0QQitemZ350276481959QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518e1af3a7

You might want to save the pics from that ebay auction though to help color match if you decide to have the scans printed yourself.

That's it for now.  Have fun!   :applaud:

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 12:54:04 pm »
Manual:
PDF version of the manual...http://www.crazykong.com/manuals/Outrun.man.pdf

Actually came with the manual surprisingly - in decent condition too! first printing.

Floor mat:
A new floor mat really makes the game look new.  Someone on the KLOV arcade forum was selling this for $15 shipped awhile back.  If you're interested, I can get his email address for you.  Here's a pic from his "for sale" post back in February...

THANK YOU! I was trying to figure out how the hell to get my hands on one of these - mine has been painted with black spray paint and is in tatters. I'm getting a new kickplate from someone online but I'll definitely need the mat. Would love to get his e-mail address if you could (my e-mail is jeffhlewis@gmail.com)

I saw the bezel map on ebay as well...$40 seems a bit spendy for it but it's not like they pop up every day on ebay.

I finally had time last night to crack a beer and do an inventory of sorts on the cab - shining a flashlight in all the nooks and crannies and documenting what's going to have to be fixed. The wood is in surprisingly decent shape - I will probably need to replace the wood on the left side panel bottom...bondo might work but there's a lot of wood rot in the corners.

What really surprised me about the cab is that just about everything, as far as I could tell, is original. No weird mods or fixes at all. Dip switch decal is still on the inside in great condition. Circuit board still has all the stickers on it. Marquee is in close to mint condition (after I windexed off 20 years of cigrette tar off of it).

Cab issues that I can tell:
-Aforementioned wood rot - will require replacement
-Wood filler in places throughout cab
-Plastic bezels around screen and steering wheel are cracked and need replacement
-Shifter won't stick in low - replacement is on the way
-Steering wheel guts need to be taken apart and cleaned - probably new springs needed as well
-Steering wheel neds ferrari emblem
-Need to buy new fluorescent light to test fixture
-Need to remove monitor and clean it - probably the dirtiest part of the whole cab
-Need to remove power supply and related parts for extensive cleaning
-Need new gas pedal and brake pedal (replacement parts coming)
-Bottom of cab needs to be evaluated for either additional bracing or wood replacement.
-Bottom of cab needs new leg levelers or wheels or a combination
-Need to label all wiring before I remove anything since it's a jungle in there
-Power cord is totally f'ed up and needs replacement. Kind of dangerous frankly.
-Sideart needs to be ordered from Mame Marquees ($$$ ouch) - I'm a perfectionist and the existing sideart isn't in good enough shape for my taste
-Coin door panel art needs to be printed/sourced from somewhere (the red road strip - anybody know where to get this?)
-New t-molding all around
-Repaint cab black where it needs to be
-CLEAN EVERYTHING

Definitely have my work cut out for me. It's going to cost some bucks but if I do it right I'll wind up having a very nice cabinet.

I found someone parting out an existing machine so I've got a lot of the replacement parts coming my way. Hoping they're in good shape. Took photos last night; will post them today.

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:27:45 pm »
-Coin door panel art needs to be printed/sourced from somewhere (the red road strip - anybody know where to get this?)

I've seen a lot of people looking for that red road strip, but I've never seen a source for an original or repro.  If yours is in good shape you might want to consider masking it off and just repainting the black around it.  If it's dirty, maybe hit it *lightly* with a Magic Eraser.

Sent you a PM about the floor mat.

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 01:31:11 am »
Here are the pics...not much time to work on this at the moment but I'm in the parts-acquisition phase anyway. I have replacements for the bezels, gas/brake pedals, and lots of other stuff on the way from someone parting a machine out.

Thanks to Ninten-doh for the floor mat recommendation - just got it in the mail.

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 01:34:30 am »
Couple more....

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 01:23:08 am »
My box of replacement parts came in finally - new plastic and pedals.

Quick question - is there any way to remove yellowing from the gray plastic? peroxide / abraisives / something else? not the end of the world if I can't remove it but the plastic is noticably more yellow than my current bezel.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:29 am »
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:50 pm »
Something like this ?

http://hackaday.com/2009/03/02/restoring-yellowed-computer-plastics/

Let me know how that goes - I've got stuff I've been wanting to try it out on, I've just been lazy and have not yet.

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:13:56 am »
I might give that retrobrite a shot...at least try it on a small test section to make sure it won't damage the piece.

If that won't work I'm thinking I might do a silver paint/clearcoat/wetsand on the piece to see if that will bring it back to life.

dre-w

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2015, 10:45:17 am
  • The Breakfast Club
    • FB... b/c my wife made me do it
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »
hey congrats on your working Outrun arcade!  I also just got one the other day, unfortunately mine is non-working.  But yeh thanks for uploading your pics, they helped me figure out I'm missing a part.   :applaud:
These machines will be the death of me

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 12:32:10 pm »
So, the weather is starting to get warmer and my restoration is about to be resurrected!

I got the side art from Mame Marquees and bought a whole bunch of miscellaneous parts off of eBay during the winter. Don't have quite everything I need and unfortunately it's been slim pickins this year with parts online. I'll have to be sinking a lot of cash into NOS parts online or will have to cannibalize another machine.

One thing that's driving me nuts - does anyone have or know of a high quality JPG or vector graphic of the bezel map? Hoping to print one out on a screen printed sticker.

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 07:11:59 pm »
The only map files I know of are the ones I linked to earlier in the thread.  I thought they were both pretty good, particularly the dark one, no?

TPA5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
  • Wanting A Cab
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »
Great cab! I remember me and my friends would take our allowances (I think mine was 5$) and head down to our local family-owned pizza joint. We would cash our bills in for quarters, and I was addicted to Outrun major-time. Good memories :)

Aw now look what ya done, you got a tear runnin' down me cheek!

In all seriousness though, I'll be following this build with great interest! Good luck!

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »
So...my "warm weather" plans to resurrect my project didn't quite go as planned. Got inundated with freelance work this summer (which is a good thing). I need to get my convertible into the giant space in the garage where my outrun cab currently is before it snows so I'm going to have to pick up the pace, fire up the space heater and get to work!

To that end, I've acquired these parts over the winter/fall:
  • 2 NOS steering springs and 1 NOS brake spring (from videogameparts.com - $38; ouch!)
  • Steering wheel insert reproduction
  • Gaspedal/Brake assembly
  • 2 Shifters with plates
  • 2 Monitor Bezels
  • 1 Steering Wheel Bezel
  • Sideart (from MameMarquees.com - $140)
  • New floor mat (thanks Ninten-doh!)

After ordering the sideart I came to the realization that I could have just bought a good condition working outrun cab for the price I've paid in parts alone  ;D But what fun would that be?

Here's what I think I'm still going to need (this could change after I really dig in, too):
  • Map insert decal (I have one that I'm going to try to clean up; we'll see - otherwise I'm vectorizing and printing one custom)
  • Track stripe decal by coin door (this is going to have to be a repro printout I think; I don't know anywhere you can buy this thing)
  • New light fixture
  • New coin mechs
  • New green lighted start button (not sure if mine works)
  • New 120MM fan for the back
  • Black formica for the sides (if I'm spending the dough I'm going to go all out and make this thing mint condition!)

So I've got the itch again to get workin' - first step will be discharging the monitor then removing it so I can really get inside the cab and get that mother cleaned out and get the wires labelled.

After that I will be disassembling all of the major mechanical components and cleaning them thoroughly.

Pics to follow once I begin.

On a side note - I will be attending a Super Auctions arcade auction up in West Allis, WI on December 10th, 2010 if anyone is in the area and interested. Never been to one and thought it'd be cool to head up and check out what's for sale; possibly might be picking up a working cab if there are any that strike my interest.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:40:24 pm by jeffhlewis »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 01:39:11 pm »
You don't have to discharge a monitor if all you're doing is removing it.
NO MORE!!

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »
In what instances would I NEED to discharge the monitor? My plans right now are:

1.) Move it
2.) Clean / Dust it
3.) Put it back and plug it back in

any need along the line there to discharge?

Garza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2015, 10:53:29 am
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
I think its a good idea if you are going to remove it, and clean it, and then put it back in to do it just in case. Like saftey glasses no one wants them until you get something in your eye. However the electricity that is in there is really powerful. And you just never know when the tube is out if anyone around you might get a bit of a shock.  :afro: Just a friendly FYI

jeffhlewis

• Offline Offline
    • Lewisjeff.com
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 03:36:38 pm »
After months of searching and about $120, I finally have my replacement A, B, and C gear set (with the B gear being the infamous cast metal version). Finally got just about all of the parts required for this monster.

...and for those curious, here's where I got 'em:

A Gear (big one): http://www.videodoctorsinc.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=kr-1126 (part KR-1126)
B Gear (metal one; steering wheel): KLOV forums (search around - one of the members sells them)
C Gear (small one): http://www.happcontrols.com (part KR-1128)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:42:17 pm by jeffhlewis »

ifkz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2020, 09:55:44 pm
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:32 am »
Great score on the gears, and thanks for listing your sources.  Many people need these gears, so I hope this thread helps other Outrun owners out.  I am a big fan of the game, even more so with the sequel.  I got lucky and found a Turbo Outrun mini earlier this year and refurbed it a bit.  For those that may be interested:   http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=176085
Nothing is like stepping back, looking at your games, and thinking 'wow, I've done this, and I have these!'

GameKing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2014, 04:03:54 am
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:58 am »
Nice one, I'm also a lucky owner now
Check Out my King's building project: Donkey Kong, My Game Room

bill1077

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2014, 10:24:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:35 pm »
 I just got a turbo outrun , older standup . I have sound, but no video? Any ideas?