Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: -----------"DONKEY KONG RESTORATION"------------------  (Read 8973 times)

Crabboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2012, 04:29:24 pm
-----------"DONKEY KONG RESTORATION"------------------
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:31:39 am »
Hey Everyone,
Im new to this site and Im loving it. I like most of you have a love for the "Arcades" and through this. We can all show off our toys.. ;D
This is my first restoration project and Im starting with a 80's favorite ,none other than a DONKEY KONG. I hope you find this restoration project of mine entertaining as well as informative.
I will be asking for input and ideas. So any ideas, suggestions would be appreciated. :)
I found this Donkey Kong on Craigslist under "Arcades for sale" I called the number on the ad cause there were no games listed.This guy had a lot of old cabinets,outside of his backyard. These things were beat up and it looked like they were outside for sometime. The elements had their way with these machines.
The cool guy said he had, Paperboy,Pacman, Mrs Pacman, Popeye, Pole Position and a bunch of random jammas. I had chosen the Donkey Kong.
This cabinet was a bit worn from the back. He said the monitor turns on, but no picture, also just a mario "jumping sound" repeated..
Well as old as this was, I was ok with it cause I knew it was going to be a project. I paid him 60 dollars he was kind enough to help me load it into my truck. What I didnt realize is that he just tilted it back on its rear wheels and just grinded the whole back of the cab. Now if you know what Im talking about the part where the back door goes in was all jagged wood  :-[
I was like aye yay aye....
This is what it looked like when I got into my garage.
The speaker panel was loose and I kinda of just propped it to stay on for the pics,The T-molding was old and jagged due to being outside and almost 30 years old. Im going to try and do my best to keep this original...
Wish me luck !!!!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
Re: -----------"DONKEY KONG RESTORATION"------------------
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:02:02 pm »
 :cheers:
NO MORE!!

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:04:06 pm »
More Pics!!!
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 03:21:36 am »
OK Here are some more pics of the Dk as I begin to take more pics and strip it down. But first I must analyze the damage and the repairs.
Im going to strip it down and restore the wood to its original condition. I have never done this , so I wont know where anything is going to go back when I plug it all in.
so I begin with:
1. Label all wires,screws and location of all items being removed. ( Harnesses, Coin door screws etc .etc. )
2. Take photos
3. Clean / Vacuum the cabinet.

Side view ,look at the rear of the cabinet, YIKES..

Just a peek inside.

This is not a fun thing to remove if you havent done it before. BTW its HEAVY !!!!! Get yourself a spotter... :laugh2:
The monitor turns on, but no picture, So Im going to have to set this aside and cap this later on.

Lose the dust bunnies, The monitor bezel w/ instruction sticker is stripped and loose.

A look from behind.

A look from the under carriage.The wood frame is very wobbly and it doesnt look like it will hold much. The staples are now broken.

Time to stick the KIRBY to it....

VOILA, what a difference a vacuum makes.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:55:58 am »
For being outside, that is in remarkably good shape.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »
Thanks IG-88, I think it is. Not alot of rust or damaged wood, I have browsed through the site on restorations and "WOW" there are some out there that were in bad shape, and with some "PATIENCE" a miracle is performed..They come out looking awesome. I hope mine turns out good..
Its cold outside to be in the garage. Im a bit tired and I have to go to work in a bit  :( So I wont be working on it today.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »
The monitor turns on, but no picture, So Im going to have to set this aside and cap this later on.

Uh..... that's to be expected with no game pcb in it.
But I would still recommend a cap kit as it is getting up there in age.

Looks like you are missing the major portion of the wiring harness as well.

EDIT: Ignore the above part if it's all stuff you removed prior to pics.

All in all though it's really not in that bad of shape..... seen lots worse for sure.
Prime restore candidate.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:13:16 pm by Kevin Mullins »
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:16:10 am »
haha, Yeah Ken , I took out all the components and set em aside. I did put all the wire harnesses and screws, and nuts, in ziploc plastic bags and labeled em with the location of where they go. So I know where they go.. Im trying to play it safe here.

OK , I was able to put some time into the DK. What I realize what cant be posted is all the disassembly , screws, t-molding, time, phone ringing, gotta eat, gotta spend time with the gf etc etc etc.
So I begin with a trip to LOWES nearby to get a few things that Ill be needing.  I have to fill all the holes on the side of the cabinet. Also allot of small kicks and dings the cabinet has .
I have a HUGE dilemma with the back of the cabinet. Im going to post some pics. As I mentioned in my first post, the small wooden lip in the back is really messed up. Im going to try and fill as much of it as I can to see If I can shape out the lips for the rear door.Im very meticulous with my things in general,I am especially this way with my toys!!!!! ;D
I must ad that this is my first time restoring anything , this is just all from desire and a "Love of the game"...So its going to be trial and error. I have no one physically wrong to tell me if Im doing something wrong. EXCEPT YOU ALL READING!!!
I got some razor blades to scrape off any stickers, gunk and just anything on the wood. These I know will come in handy.
Wood filler, and some sand paper. I remember sanding in woodshop in the 7th grade. It seems we did more sanding than anything. Im sure itll be the same case here. :-\
Need some supplies to get me going.

The right side

The left side

This brings a tear to my eye :'(

The filler is not looking so good on this edge... :banghead:Im going to have to think of something.

I had to get down and dirty for this one..

My GF wanted to help out, She loves me !!! :laugh:

The front

Let the sanding begin.......

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:20:50 am »
If you have any trouble with that wood filler, you might want to try using bondo.  I've used that same wood filler and found that bondo works much better for me.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:57:33 pm »
"Rock Hard" water putty works good for me and its cheap  :cheers:
-HarumaN

retromax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:14:45 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 04:37:58 pm »
Nice Cabinet,
I've found that a good filler to use is the stuff used in car body repairs, you need to work fast with it though.
Good luck with this project!

retromax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:14:45 pm
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 04:47:20 pm »
Sorry, i'm English the filler I spoke of I think that is what you call Bondo ::)

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 01:15:06 am »
Thanks for the input on the "Water putty" and bondo. I heard bondo was good. I went ahead with the wood filler that i bought from lowes. Cause I bought it already. Its actually coming out ok. Its a lil dry and its like wet sand. Its been coming out ok after sanding the cabinet. Although the rear lip looks terrible. I dont know what Im going to do with it..The rest of the cabinet is coming out smooth, its a pain to clean up my hand sander with the primer clogging my sander. grrRRRrrrr..... Its like sand, sand, clean,sand, clean. In that cycle....I dont see any posts or blogs on how much of a pain and mess this can be....  Its like figure it out for yourself. This is going to be so worth it for me. I cant wait....Till then "Patience  Crabboy"  :laugh:
I may just do one coat of primer.

I think I may be coming down with a cold.   :cry:
It will make being in the garage very uncomfortable, so Im going to have to rest up..
The only benefit to being sick, is that m beautiful gf is making soup, dinner, and brownies  :angel:  ;).....(cough)

Next:
Figure something out to do with that back wooden back door lip. ( on cabinet )

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 01:48:00 pm »
I think wood filler is just going to crumble away from an edge repair like that.  You might drill some holes into the seam edge drive in some staples to act as re bar, and then fill in the holes and edge with bondo. That might give you the anchor an edge like that needs to stay put. Just a suggestion, though.

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 02:54:49 am »
ok back again, Drilling holes? rebar? ummm I dont know or how to get started on anything like that. I really dont, that sounds really technical.That sounds awesome wundercade and I wish i knew how to do that. The edge is crumbling alot. I have had a idea of replacing the whole sides, but I think that would be more of a hassle cause of all the staples and glue that this cabinet has. It was a thought.I dont have allot of mahinery for tools, or tools, Heck I am buying all my tools as I go to restore this project.  :laugh2:..We got all the holes ,and missing wood patched up. Then I have been sanding and sanding to smooth out the wood filler. It was ok, but I think if my cabinet would of been any worse I would of definitely used bondo,Thats for sure,I have been sanding and sanding with a 220 grit sandpaper. A friend of mine suggested the 220 , he said the primer/paint needs something to grab onto the wood.
One thing is that this does consume allot of my time. Its fun but very exhausting and it does require some thinking or trial and error so to speak.
My inspiration comes from others who have done restorations.
here are a couple of pics of the cab smooved out !  :)

The top was ok I just wanted to smooth out allot of the minor water damaged wood.

This stuff was everywhere.........

ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

You really cant see all the lil knicks it had on there, but up close theyre there. Im very meticulous about my stuff.. =) Its my strong point !!  :angel:

I do have a idea for my edge...............

Stay tuned

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 08:46:18 pm »
Ok, After coming up with 3 ideas,
1. Replacing the whole sides of the arcades. (costs $300 materials included quote from a woodshop in town.) Due to size and glueing and stapling the side back with the other wood parts.
2. Using a "L" shape angle aluminum to go over the entire back side, it would be attached to the back door and would cover the corroded edge with the aluminum. (I would of painted the "L"shape black to match the entire backing ) cost: $5.99 for a long L shape aluminum at LOWES
3. Cut the 1/2 inch edge off and make a whole new back door. The back door needs to have enough length now to cover the 1/2 centimeter width no both sides..

I chose the third, cause it would not only look better it would be a perfect fit for cabinet. Although I do have to replace the whole back door it would look much nicer. Ill also need to make a groove on the bottom so it can fit inside the lip near the AC cord is.
take a look below and tell em what ya think..

First the measurement. 1/2 inch edge will be coming off. Time to get a jigsaw

This has to be evenly straight down all the way.

This is after the edge was cut and sanded with a 220. This edge needs to be smooth to it can be even, so the back door will sit in properly.

Bottom half of cabinet

Other side

Top half

Bottom view

View all the way down the edge. Not to shabby, Ill say...

Now its time to sand all the edges till they are smooth.
Next :
I am thinking about adding wheels the bottom of the cabinet, so it will roll easily, This arcade will be for inside use and I would hate to have to move it by tilting it all the time. So Ill look into getting some wheels.

Primer & paint is also next..
WOOOHOOOO...... :applaud:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 09:48:13 am »

I hope you wore shoes while cutting. 

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 11:22:36 am »
I am thinking about adding wheels the bottom of the cabinet, so it will roll easily, This arcade will be for inside use and I would hate to have to move it by tilting it all the time. So Ill look into getting some wheels.

Yours doesn't have wheels?  Every Nintendo cab I've worked on has had back wheels.

Or if you're talking about bottom wheels: how often do you plan on moving it?

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
 :lol Yeah I wore shoes, I believe it was just for pictures ,also my girlfriend wanting to see the progress of the cabinet.
The cabinet does have the rear white wheels, I wanted to add some on the bottom of the cabinet so I can easily move it.
I live in a apartment with a single car garage, and I use the garage to park my car inside. I have to go in the garage move the car out. Move the tote full of arcade parts, tilt the cab bring it out to the middle to work on it, and in reverse after Im done . I can see how over a period of time these cabinets took a beating. As I mentioned in the first post. The previous owner was rugged with it when he stomped it side to side then tilted it and then he loaded it in my truck. "Ruthless". So I can see how wheels would be convenient to move the cabinet around.
When I get wheels on it. I can easily roll the cab in place to work on it. Also move it in around the apartment or my house ( in the near future) very easily. I dont plan on moving it very much, I plan on keeping it and If I can move it with out the machine taking a beating then even better. I want to try and keep it looking purdy !  :)When we get there...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 03:37:04 pm »
The "right" way to move it around is with a hand truck.  I wouldn't put it on wheels.  I'd use one of those movers dollys.

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:23:56 pm »
The "right" way to move it around is with a hand truck. 

Especially for Nintendo cabs.  They don't come any lighter than those.  If it was an Atari cab, I might consider it

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 06:55:04 pm »
I'm not sure if you saw my DK+ "restoration" thread so here's a link: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=94351.0.  It might help you get a good idea on what each step of the restoration is like.  I kept it as original as possible (it is totally original-looking cosmetically) but made a few modifications on the inside to fit my budget and wants.

It looks like I'm a little late but there is a very easy way to straighten out that back edge - you clamp a long thin piece of plywood to the edge making sure it overhangs on each side.  Than all you do is fill the gaps with bondo and sand it smooth.

Good luck - I love watching these threads!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:05:01 pm by SirPeale »

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:14 am »
Thanks for the input on the wheels. Thanks for the link Javeryh, that is a really sick cab !!!! :applaud: I hope my cabinet looks as good as that. the back edge was killing me and since I didnt know what to do with that edge, this was the sensible thing to do. Considering my level of expertise. So I couldnt of done it without a person here to guide me clamping the edge. Man , your cab came out "SAWEET" How long did it take you, Im definitely going to look at your thread and take some pointers. Ill give you the props on it as well  :angel:. How did you mame it? I am new to the forums and dont really understand the lingo, Im thinking its maybe a small working computer with some programs to run a emulator of some sort and the games. Pardon my noobness... :dunno
The monitor looks sick. I know I have some work ahead of me on that thing. I really liked the wood boarder around the monitor. That makes it look factory.
Im going to bed its 1215 am California time.
Hope to see ya more on my restoration thread, and share some of your knowledge... :notworthy:.

Thanks

ckong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2020, 06:48:09 pm
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 02:29:55 am »
...... It looks like I'm a little late but there is a very easy way to straighten out that back edge - you clamp a long thin piece of plywood to the edge making sure it overhangs on each side.  Than all you do is fill the gaps with bondo and sand it smooth.

Exactly, that's the way to do it. I did it likewise with my DK restoration, although the gaps were smaller. You can see the result of my work here: http://www.dragonslairfans.com/smfor/index.php?topic=1059.0

I'm sorry to say, but my thoughts are that you should have tried harder to get those edges nice and straight, or ask help from someone else. Your cab was in pretty good shape when you got it, but now that you cut a part of the side ...... :o   That wasn't necessary at all. However, I wish you luck with the rest of your 'cab modification' work.  :)

StuDaBaker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2012, 11:14:00 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 10:51:29 am »
It looks like I'm a little late but there is a very easy way to straighten out that back edge - you clamp a long thin piece of plywood to the edge making sure it overhangs on each side.  Than all you do is fill the gaps with bondo and sand it smooth.

What keeps the bondo from "bonding" with the plywood strips?

matman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2021, 02:11:39 am
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »
From the other thread:
"Before applying the bondo I wrapped the scrap wood (which was actually fireplace kindling) in plastic so the bondo wouldn't stick to it."

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 02:53:38 am »
Im posting a message from ckong and I in defense of my edge work. I felt the compliment should be on here as well.. :angel:

UPDATE
I added the wheels to the base of the cabinet. I went to OSH and got em
2 swivel wheels in the front for turning and moving the cab.
2 stationary wheels in the rear to keep it steady.
Also the base board on the bottom is cut to specification and reinforced with screws and glue.
We had to add a 1/2 board to the bottom of the wheel frame so it would provide reinforcement to support the wheels and wont weaken the nintendo cabinet.
Also so the wheels can sit lower than the baseboard and move freely.
I am proud of the way it came out. Very sleek and you can barely see anything under there.
With much respect to Sirpeale to not add em, I believe the "Right" way to move cabinets are "carefully".
Although arcade companys added 2 wheels on the rear to tilt em back and roll em. I think it was part of a manufacturing design for warehouses /stores/ arcades and the productive way to maneuver them.
Handtruck is a very good idea and it does take alot of weight out of moving it alone....
Ill roll it..
Take a look..
Special Thanks to "MAC" of Quality Woodworks for helping me out ! :applaud:

After sanding the cabinet, I primered the whole cabinet with Bin Zinsser Primer.
I sanded it twice and smoothed it out again.
After smoothing this out with a 220 grit. OVER AND OVER. It finally was ready to be painted.

I want to give a "Special Thanks to Neilyboy" for doing a awesome job on his Donkey Kong.
His blog provided the color code to get a exact color on the cabinet.

She painted the blue, I did the black paint ! TEAMWORK !!

My girlfriend is stoked about this project and always gives a hand, Shes the freakin awesome'est !!!

I was doing the black on top and the side edges.

Not bad at all, The speaker grill was painted along the inside ridges.

You can get a better idea of where the back door cover will fit into the back. Also you can barely see it. YAY !

I taped the wood monitor base so it wouldnt get black paint all over it.
I sanded the insideof the cab, I didnt primer it cause it wasnt that bad at all. Just a lil 220 sandpaper and it was smooth and ready for 2 coats of black.

My edge painted ...... :)

Ah at last the nintendo label... This makes it authentic...

Next up:
Marquee light:

ckong

• Offline Offline
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 04:01:07 am »
Nice job. On the sides where the T-molding will be, did you (roller)paint about two mm's over the edges? I ask because else you might end up seeing a visible very thin white line of the primer after you applied the T-molding. I had this 'problem' on some parts where the T-molding was, so I  applied some paint at the wood on the T-molding areas as well, and everything at the T-molding edge is now smooth blue (or black).

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 02:19:57 pm »
Thanks Ckong  :) When my gf rolled the blue I asked her not to go over the edge. Just so she wouldn't accidentally roll the blue on the black etc etc..
After it was done, I dabbed it with a foam brush lightly. Since the T-molding would go over it. On the inside, I did it with the black..
I didnt think we would all have the same ideas in making it look good in any angle. Good to know, were all pretty anal about our machines looking good .. :applaud:
Im told to SAVE on shipping for things I would need.So order as many things as Ill need. Im making a list of things Ill need as far as minor details.
Example:
T-molding
DK Instruction sticker
Push buttons etc etc.

ckong

• Offline Offline
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »
Thanks Ckong  :) ..... After it was done, I dabbed it with a foam brush lightly. Since the T-molding would go over it. On the inside, I did it with the black..

8)

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »
k, I was able to work on the marquee light I knew this bulb had to be replaced. So after looking and looking at all the Lowes,Home Depot, OSH and other misc lighting shops around town. Most stores carry bulbs that are 15" which is too big for the fixture.I could not find the correct fluorescent bulb for the cabinet. I did a search online and saw this site ,Where you can buy the bulb.. Here is the site in case you have a working fixture and just need a bulb.
http://www.bulbtronics.com/Search-The-WareHouse/ProductDetail.aspx?sid=0003031&pid=99FL10D

I bought one, but realized its not the bulb that wasn't broken ,it was the fixture. So I decided to replace the whole housing and bulb. In case I need to buy another bulb I can find it locally and it'll be more convenient . I bought it at Wal-Mart for $13.00 with bulb.

I cut the AC extension cord from the broken light fixture and soldered and used heat shrink tubing it to the female plug in to the new light fixture so I would plug in to the new light fixture and the length of the cord going to the ac in the cabinet. So there wont be extra slack...

Look how purdy!

Its coming along..WOOHOOO!

ckong

• Offline Offline
  • Retro Games forever!
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 05:22:37 am »
Nice to see that the cab is coming alive. The bulb of my DK cab was also broken, and unfortunately I can't get the right size here in Europe, US bulb lenghts are different from Euro bulbs. So I bought a complete fixture with bulb, and other parts at Mikesarcade.

The new bulb is with 18" longer than the standard bulb, but the light is spread more even over the marquee. And I removed the plastic front plate.

What's next on your list?

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 02:11:38 pm »
Ah thats a good idea, I thought the same thing when it was lit as you see in  the pictures. I want the entire marquee to lite up . Its just centered in the middle. It does look good but if I can get the whole marquee to light up. That would be nice. I wonder if there is a reflective plate to make the light shine throughout the inside of the marquee housing lighting up the whole marquee. UH ?
I think once I figure that out. Ill work on  the monitor. It turns on but there is no image. I have searched and it looks like the person to contact and order stuff from is "The Real Bob Roberts".. Ill have to check him out and see if I can pump out any of wisdom  ;D
Then start the reassembly process.

Crabboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
Merry Christmas Everyone ! :)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 10:09:39 am »
The original fixture was likely fine... it was the screw in starter.  The original fixtures were Japanese,  not american... strange size and they use an uncommon screw in type starter.  You can find both online but they're pretty expensive... much  more expensive than just buying an under the counter light fixture from walmart as you've done.   I tend to get the 18" models myself (did so for my Punch Out).
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

bigpete405

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2014, 07:48:03 pm
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 09:37:03 pm »
 :applaud: Nice work so far... can't wait to see final result