Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A new book that BYOAC cabinet builders might enjoy...  (Read 15032 times)

GAtekwriter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
A new book that BYOAC cabinet builders might enjoy...
« on: November 06, 2009, 04:09:03 pm »
Note:  Saint gave me permission to post about this - Jim

Hi, All. I wanted to share a bit of good news with my fellow arcade builders here - I've got a book I've co-authored titled "Build Your Own CNC Machine" and it's coming out at the end of November 2009. Not sure if this will be of interest to many here, but I've had fun writing it, building the machine, and using it...

I'll attach the cover and some pictures for you. Some more details:

* It has a 2' x 4' tabletop workspace with about 1.5" of non-usable surface around the perimeter. So, you can realistically work on wood, aluminum, or plastic that fits within the 2'x4' boundary.

* Depending on the router you choose to use (we use a laminate/hand router but it will support a full sized router), you can work on material up to about 7" tall, but the depth the router can cut down (on the z-axis) is dependent upon the surrounding area not impeding the up/down movement, so the depth of cut into super-thick material will really be limited to your bit depth/length as well as any material blocking the further downward movement.

* The entire thing can be built for less than $800.00. Yes, $800.00US. While most 2'x4' comparable CNC machines are running $7000 and higher, this is a completely reliable and fully functional 3-axis CNC machine. The book provides plans for cutting, drilling, etc... all the parts from MDF (very rigid and strong) and my co-author (Patrick) and I provide parts #s and locations to get all the electronics. Chapters show you how to wire up everything as well as where to get the free software used to control the stepper motors.

During the writing of this book, three separate machines were built - I built one, my dad built one, and my tech editor built one. All three are identical, working right now, and are very impressive to watch.

One of the reasons Patrick and I did this book was to make CNC technology available to a larger group of users - traditionally, these machines have been (and are) expensive to own and complicated to operate and repair. Well, when you build your own arcade cabinet you know every part, how it all comes together, and you'll know how to fix it... same with a CNC machine.  And the best part is how easy it is to cut and drill replacement parts if you need them.

It does require a router, but most of you cabinet builders are already super familiar with that tool! The book provides a website, discussion forum, videos, full color photos for downloading, etc... all to support readers of the book who want to build their own machine. We're hoping to hear from students, shop teachers, parents, and after-school groups who take on building their own CNC machine(s) and we'd love to see photos and videos of your machine and your designs.

Again, the book is out in late November... if you have any other questions, let me know.

BTW, in the pics, those non-CNC-machine items are:

* A set of plate stands
* carving of a cartoon dog
* Sign for a small business
* various circular stands for hot dishes
* carving of some hand tools

Jim

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: A new book that BYOAC cabinet builders might enjoy...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »
Though it's nothing I'd ever build, congrats on the book! Awesome to see BYOAC folks doing cool stuff like this!  :applaud:

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:51:03 pm »

Please let us know when and where we can buy the book when it is available.  I cannot imagine my wife actually letting me build one of these, but I'd sure like to read about how you do it.

:cheers:

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 10:02:55 pm »
 :applaud:

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »
As a mechanical engineer...WOW!  That's freaking AWESOME!!!   :cheers:

Out of curiosity, is there anything other than the actuators that keeps this from being built larger?  Since it's primarily for sheet wood material, being able to accept 4'x8' sheets would be amazing.

I can't say I would use a CNC machine that often, but it seems like a lot of fun building one and bragging about having one in the garage!

crashwg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:09:17 pm »
Congratulations on the book.

I have actually been looking into building a CNC router for a while now.  I've been to a few websites including ones with forums and free plans and such and I must say that your design looks to be the most simple one I've seen yet.  Don't get me wrong though, I mean that in a mostly good way.  Judging only by your pictures of the finished product it looks to be something almost anyone could be able to construct with the right plans.  That was the good part.  On the other hand it looks so simply constructed that I would have fears of tolerance and repeatability issues.  I would be interested in knowing what your machine was capable in that respect.  Cut speeds would also be nice to know.

I am definitely considering buying your book although $30 seems a little steep.  For $15-20 I'd be in for sure.  Your design would definitely be a good starting point for people wanting to get in on the awesomeness that is CNC!

Again I must congratulate you on your project and book and hope that my post didn't come off too critical but more inquisitional as I intend.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:04:04 am »
Thanks, all, for the kind words... and here are some specific responses to your questions:

fatfingers - the book is scheduled to hit bookstores the last week of November - Amazon.com will carry it, B&N, etc... it's not a self-published book, so it should be available anywhere you buy books.

bkenobi - Glad you like it!  Nothing would prevent you from taking the plans (free to download from the book's website in PDF format) and doubling or tripling the dimensions.  This would be easy to do if you're patient and willing to double and triple check all your measurements.  Yes, the stepper motors are probably going to be one factor, but travel time will be as well.  This machine uses lead screws for movement, so moving the router from the front of an 8' long tabletop all the way to the back would be fine with these motors, it will take much longer to cut/mill/drill anything... plastic and aluminum have been cut with this machine, so that material will affect the size factor as well because you'll have to change your bit speed and travel time to suit the material.  People who have seen this thing fall into two categories - head scratchers ("what is that?") and jaw droppers ("You have your OWN cnc machine?!")

crashwg - The design IS simple... it has been refined over many years.  Is this a professional level cnc machine that you'd want to use in a business?  Maybe, but you'd want to make some modifications and pre-cut and pre-drill some replacement parts due to wear and tear.  The thing is made of MDF, not metal, so it's obviously subject to different stresses.  Tolerance has not been an issue... we've been 100% shocked by the reliability of the lead screw movement system, especially when cutting small items.  Drilled holes are perfect.  Edges are smooth... and we've cut some perfect 6" and 12" circles with this thing.  I think the tolerance of the machine is all going to hinge on how well you cut and drill and put the machine together.  If you take your time, make your cuts and holes right, you'll have a square machine that is very reliable.  We do cover in the book some tips on how to make sure that things line up well, etc... but it all comes down to the builder.  We can't be in the shop with you, so we stress taking your time, measure twice, etc...  Not sure what Amazon.com will sell the final book for... cover price is $39.99 but most sellers won't charge that (hopefully).  It's over 350 pages, plus all the extra content provided on the book's website - videos, full color/full sized photos, forum, etc...  your post was fine and has many of the same questions I'd ask, so no problem :)

For me, I've been wanting to build small boxes (to give as gifts) that use dovetail joinery... I can do them with my router, but this CNC machine is so dead-on accurate with tests that I'm ready to start cutting them using my cnc machine... I'll try to remember to post some pics soon once I get the process down.  Engraving and detail work on the box tops are also planned.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:36 am »
Is this the same book? The cover looks very different?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Build-Your-Machine-Technology-Action/dp/1430224894/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257601972&sr=8-2

If it is i'll pre-order a copy today.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:12:53 am »
Yes, but that's the placeholder cover a publisher sends in to Amazon before they've got the final cover.  The actual cover is attached to my original post.  Hope you like the book!

Jim

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 09:23:07 am »
I look forward to reading it  ;D
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:09:50 am »
This looks great, but I need to get a new shed to put it in first though!  :applaud:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 10:14:45 am »
This looks great, but I need to get a new shed to put it in first though!  :applaud:

Since I already have two sheds in a very small area I've run out of places to put another since my 'other hobby' already takes up just about all the spare real estate in my garden and there's no way I'm moving that any time soon ::)

I'm thinking I'd have to build/keep this in my mates workshop (who I dare say would end up using it more than I would)

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 10:32:31 am »
Oh Ive wanted a home CNC machine for a very long time.  I will so buy and build this.  Does your book cover interfacing to PC, and what software to use for design programming etc?

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 01:54:10 pm »
syph007 - Yes, the book covers the steps to wire up the breakout board to the three stepper motor drivers, power supply, and the three stepper motors... we also show you how to configure the Mach3 software to communicate with the breakout board.

I would put this at the same tech level as wiring up your control panel - it's really a matter of just keeping track of which screw-down ports go to which motors and motor drivers.  Trust me - if I did this, you can do this.

Jim

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 04:35:39 pm »

Sounds great!  And sure enough, Amazon has preorders at $26.39, free ship.

Linky
My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

nox771

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2011, 08:50:12 am
    • rewiredgear
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 06:09:28 pm »
Wow, awesome work.  Have been thinking about something like this for a while, so it's great to have step by step instructions.  Will definitely buy and build  :cheers:  (now finding floor space in the garage, that's a different problem...)

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:07 pm »
Thanks, everybody - for the very kind words.  I do hope those of you who get the book are able to build your own machines - it's a blast owning one.

And thanks to Saint for letting me share the news.

Jim

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »
Being constructed out of wood is a lot of the cut in cost. Looks great. Between these home-made cnc machines, and the home-made fabricators/assemblers, things are potentially looking good for mom-an-pop product services at very reasonable prices.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 09:36:01 pm »
I agree with this whole entire thing, especially if someone has a good method and a lot of personal knowledge related to byoac, they absolutely should right a book about it. as far as i know theirs only one really and thats Project Arcade.

for all of the reccomendations ive seen for cabinet building almost everyone reccomends MDF or particleboard.

If youve ever attempted to buy a cheaply priced original cabinet that just seems too good to be true, i am certain that you have seen the result of even small bits of water damage to these materials without realizing it.

Im the Son of a man who made his living for 20 years in his younger days as a carpenter.

one thing that always bothered him was when the homebuilders got cheap and started using particleboard and OSB for Roofing material in south florida. he always went on and on to me about how neither one was even suitable to roof a doghouse with.

Then hurricane andrew hit and every single home built with this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- did in fact lose the roof and got demolished. also in the aftermath of it, almost every single one of the home builders that had used these materials went bankrupt, and the ones who did not are now some of the largest builders there, because their homes still stood after andrew, and their homebuyers lifelong possessions were also safe.

anyway the point is i know that most people here will use Mdf or particleboard because of the smoothness of it, and cost. Their is not a better material to build a cabinet out of besides 3/4 BC or better plywood because it is all but water proof as a material, as well as ultra smooth.

Since i built my cab 6 years ago, its had many big gulps spilled on it as well as a busted water pipe 15 feet away that flooded the area around the base of it.

This water in the 30 minutes until we got it turned off by the city (we found out very quickly that our house did not have a main shutoff valve somewhere) This water absolutely destroyed the base of my original strikers 1945 Dynamo cabinet made out of particleboard.

The one i built from scratch  out of bc plywood and 2x2s and painted with oil based paint, Didnt even swell one bit. All i had to do was put one new coat on to get rid of the water marks.

One more thing. Dont ever paint your control panel or the lower front of your cabinet around the coin door.

first thing kids are going to do is beat it and kick it when they get mad.

Best thing to do is get some black or if you cant find black, get some clear plexiglass for the front of your cabinet and paint the back of it solid black so the color cant be scratched off, and then get some 90 degree trim to go around it and finish it up.

Black plexiglass on the front of your cabinet will hide a whole world of nicks and scrapes that paint will succumb to. Especially if you lightly buff it with a good clean rag and a clear or a black tinted cleaner, when it looks a bit ugly. Dont ever use something harsh like car polish that will kill your glasses shine, and make sure whatever polish you use is either clear or has a black tint to it.

those are just a couple of my tips. otherwise i am curious to buy this book and am glad to see yet one more out there on the market.

One thing thats really needed for me, anyway, is a book that dives right into depth on setting up software.

Id love to see a new linux "embedded" build for arcade builders that i could sink my teeth into.

Truth is that i dont know ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- about linux except that its not windows. and i also know two things about it.

I surf the net as well as conduct most of my daily business with red hat. I also am slowly learning about it from my real dad, who Ive finally got old enough to want to ask him these things.

He got a job for Eastern airlines right out of high school in 1964, and by the time they went broke because of corporate embezzlement in 1989, he was cheif It administrator in Miami. It meant Unix.

when i got my first computer though, he never encouraged me to learn it. Always said that Pc's were the future and pushed me to learn dos at the time.

But hes told me since then that he never anticipated an X86 version of Unix rolling out.

Ive been picking his brains since.

is anyone here familiar with any graphical Mame for linux? or even a complete cabinet ready distrubition?

Note:  Saint gave me permission to post about this - Jim

Hi, All. I wanted to share a bit of good news with my fellow arcade builders here - I've got a book I've co-authored titled "Build Your Own CNC Machine" and it's coming out at the end of November 2009. Not sure if this will be of interest to many here, but I've had fun writing it, building the machine, and using it...

I'll attach the cover and some pictures for you. Some more details:

* It has a 2' x 4' tabletop workspace with about 1.5" of non-usable surface around the perimeter. So, you can realistically work on wood, aluminum, or plastic that fits within the 2'x4' boundary.

* Depending on the router you choose to use (we use a laminate/hand router but it will support a full sized router), you can work on material up to about 7" tall, but the depth the router can cut down (on the z-axis) is dependent upon the surrounding area not impeding the up/down movement, so the depth of cut into super-thick material will really be limited to your bit depth/length as well as any material blocking the further downward movement.

* The entire thing can be built for less than $800.00. Yes, $800.00US. While most 2'x4' comparable CNC machines are running $7000 and higher, this is a completely reliable and fully functional 3-axis CNC machine. The book provides plans for cutting, drilling, etc... all the parts from MDF (very rigid and strong) and my co-author (Patrick) and I provide parts #s and locations to get all the electronics. Chapters show you how to wire up everything as well as where to get the free software used to control the stepper motors.

During the writing of this book, three separate machines were built - I built one, my dad built one, and my tech editor built one. All three are identical, working right now, and are very impressive to watch.

One of the reasons Patrick and I did this book was to make CNC technology available to a larger group of users - traditionally, these machines have been (and are) expensive to own and complicated to operate and repair. Well, when you build your own arcade cabinet you know every part, how it all comes together, and you'll know how to fix it... same with a CNC machine.  And the best part is how easy it is to cut and drill replacement parts if you need them.

It does require a router, but most of you cabinet builders are already super familiar with that tool! The book provides a website, discussion forum, videos, full color photos for downloading, etc... all to support readers of the book who want to build their own machine. We're hoping to hear from students, shop teachers, parents, and after-school groups who take on building their own CNC machine(s) and we'd love to see photos and videos of your machine and your designs.

Again, the book is out in late November... if you have any other questions, let me know.

BTW, in the pics, those non-CNC-machine items are:

* A set of plate stands
* carving of a cartoon dog
* Sign for a small business
* various circular stands for hot dishes
* carving of some hand tools

Jim

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 07:03:02 am »
is anyone here familiar with any graphical Mame for Linux? or even a complete cabinet ready distribution?

Response posted in the Linux section so as not to hijack this thread
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 01:19:35 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
Re: Video of the CNC machine in action
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 10:06:34 am »
(  Thanks, Silas - have no idea about that previous post  :dizzy: :dizzy:  )

It took me a bit to hunt down this video, but it shows an amazing item milled using the machine this book shows you how to build.  The machine you see in the video has some modifications, including t-rails installed on the worktop... the router base is slightly different (rounded) and the gantry sides have a slightly different shape than the original plans...

But this is the DIY CNC machine that Patrick designed and that we cover in detail with the book.

Hope you like the video - I'm not doing this level of work with mine yet... YET.

Jim

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 10:14:43 am »
That's awesome. I hope the book does well.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:01 am »
Excellent. When I have a derth of projects (right), that might be my next!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »

That is super cool.  I'd love to build one of those... if I had any idea how to finish a project.   ;)

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 02:31:46 pm »

That is super cool.  I'd love to build one of those... if I had any idea how to finish a project.   ;)

Baby steps.  Start by getting the wood loaded onto the truck.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 02:33:46 pm »
I think many of you will be surprised at the parts list for the MDF cuts - 26 pieces in all, many of them duplicates so you can cut two at once.

But yes, I understand - it can be a bit overwhelming when you first start... but trust me, when you get the tabletop built (x-axis) the y-axis and z-axis stuff just starts to roll. 

Jim

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 02:38:02 pm »
Baby steps.  Start by getting the wood loaded onto the truck.

Dude!  That doesn't have a full size table.  I think I can handle loading 2x4 sheets... maybe I can find a kid to sit on them to keep them from sliding off the roof.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 03:16:27 pm »
That's how I purchased it - four 2x4 sheets of MDF, pre cut.  Still heavy, but one person can load a sheet by him/herself.

Jim

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 03:27:52 pm »
Is the machine detailed in the book the same (or similar) to the 2x4 machine listed on your site? I mean other than the obvious: hand-cut parts (book) vs. machine cut parts (website) or course.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2009, 03:52:49 pm »
Neverending:  If you're talking about buildyourcnc.com, then the book's CNC machine is a variation of one of the ones covered on that site.  Patrick is the designer of the CNC machines and he never stands still - he's always modifying them, tweaking here and there, as well as coming up with other shapes and sizes.

The book's CNC would be considered the "standard" CNC machine for us.  It's the one that has been tried and tested and falls within a reasonable cost.

Whereas the website can't go into every aspect of building your own cnc machine, it does a good job of providing videos that cover the majority of the different skills required... we took advantage of the book's pagecount and basically decided to include a step by step walkthrough for everything... my tech editor was hired by the publisher to read my chapters, follow the instructions, and see if he could build the machine independently... he did (thankfully) and I was knocked over when I visited his shop and saw his completed machine looking identical to mine.

Sorry for the long answer, but the short one is that yes, the 2x4 machine in the book has been covered on the website but Patrick has since developed a larger machine that he is focusing his energy on right now... if you prefer the newer (larger, more expensive) machine, you can contact Patrick via the website.

Jim

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2009, 04:05:20 pm »
That's how I purchased it - four 2x4 sheets of MDF, pre cut.  Still heavy, but one person can load a sheet by him/herself.

Jim

Ed was bringing up an old joke directed solely at me - I once posted a really stupid question about loading MDF into a truck.   ;D

He wasn't talking about anything related to your CNC.

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 04:06:21 pm »
By all means, I prefer cheaper. And by cheaper, I mean less expensive. I was trying to get an idea of what it will look like when done. Is the first pic attached in your first post on this thread the one detailed in the book?

I have been to his website before (buildyourcnc.com). I was thinking about the way he built an "ugly" CNC from very basic tools, and then used that CNC to build a "pretty" CNC, with precision cuts, etc. And thus, I was really trying to figure out where this book-built-machine falls with respect to that. But it seems like it will be the one you keep and use, versus the one your build to learn, and then build another.

But I suppose a lot of that depends on what you intend on using the CNC for in the first place. I am looking forward to it. Thanks!

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2009, 04:11:52 pm »
Yes, the very first picture I posted for this thread shows the actual CNC machine covered in the book.  The only modification that has yet to be made on it is cutting the hole on the router base for mounting a dust removal tube (or vacuum)... haven't decided if I want to just manually remove dust with my shop vac or mount something more permanent.

I would say this machine is as close to perfect as you can get without cutting the parts with an actual CNC machine... Fortunately the MDF design is very forgiving, with small deviations of 1/16" here and there easy to fix.  And if you completely mess up a part or drill it wrong (which I did a few times) it's extremely cheap to cut another one.  The Home Depot I purchased the 2x4 sheets from even sells smaller 1x2 panels... yay!

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 08:09:58 am »
How long would it take to build and how accurate would the cutting be?

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2009, 08:24:35 am »
Thatitalian:  The only answer I can provide for accuracy is "depends on the time and energy you put into measuring, cutting, and drilling the parts correctly."  My dad and I took our time building our two machines... in some instances, we recut pieces that we felt were too out of tolerance (typically more than 1/16").

Take a look at the video I linked to in previous message ... that should tell you a little about the level of complexity that it can cut.

And time to build?  We didn't track it unfortunately, but counting the weekend days we spent on it (Sat and Sun) - I made 6 trips to Florida during the build - and we never worked more than 10 hours on any given day, so the maximum time we put into TWO machines was 120 hours... divide that by 2 and figure 60 hours per machine to build... likely less since I had to interrupt our build quite often to take photos, shoot video, and write down notes for the book.  I would guess between 30 and 45 hours would be a realistic expectation... please let me know if any of you build this machine and track your time spent as I sure would like a more accurate estimate.

Jim

BamBam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2011, 07:18:19 am
  • This is better than Disney Land man!
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:57 am »
 :applaud: Man.  What can I say?  I am speechless.  This is amazing.  Can't wait for it to hit store shelves.
Galaga... Was there any other game?

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:01 am »
cover price is $39.99

Oh, I was getting the $30 from the back of the cover you posted...
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2009, 09:28:45 am »
Zoom in a bit on the back cover - it's $39.99 but Amazon and B&N(online) never charge cover price... and quite honestly, no one should EVER pay cover price for a book :)

The 9s do look like zeroes unless you zoom in...
Jim

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2009, 01:00:25 pm »
You got me there...  Even zooming in, I think they look a lot like zeros but I can see where they could be nines.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »
Have you noticed any problem with flex along the 4' axis?  I assume there's no center supports; it looks like the gantry surrounds the entire bed.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 05:56:51 pm »
There was a slight flex in 1 of the 3 tables that were built during the book's writing - but it was fixed by bolting some 3'10" strips of c-bar underneath... even then, without the metal, the flex was less than 1/8" in the middle compared to the front and rear edges.  MDF is pretty rigid for this length.

Jim

Ed_McCarron

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »
but it was fixed by bolting some 3'10" strips of c-bar underneath...

Ah, good idea.  Neat looking book.

Scottk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 11:16:12 am
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2009, 10:56:07 pm »
Hi,
I am also VERY interested in this project.

I am a HORRIBLE (and I truly mean HORRIBLE!) woodworker.
I have had many ideas, where I draw out the plans, and it looks good on paper, but when I go and try to cut the wood and put it together, it comes out like crap.  :-\

I am thinking that this project just might be the key to my success.

I draw the plans, and have the CNC cut the parts for me.

So I have a number of questions.

Do you have more Photos of the machine, like the first photo, but take from various angles/sides?

I would like to see how it might look, size-wise, since I would be putting it into my garage, and need to understand the full dimensions...
ie, what sticks out and where.

Next...
My space is somewhat limited in my garage, so I was wondering if when its not in use, can the upper part move to the back, thus giving me a workspace for other things I might do, non-CNC cutting-wise?

Next, I think its been touched on, but I just wanted to verify it.

Is the idea that you cut the first set of parts, and try to get it as close to as "correct" as possible, and then if you find a few of your parts not perfect, that you could have the CNC
machine redo the cuts for you?
(ie, use your CNC to build a 2nd CNC, but in my case, I would swap out the old CNC parts that I did bad, and put the new ones in the place of it)

How does the interface work to the PC?
Is it assumed you will have a PC underneath the machine that will serve the CNC with the commands, etc?

Is the interface to it over a serial port (thus, you need a PC that still has a 232 serial port on it), or USB, or Ethernet?

(As a software programmer by trade, who works on firmware on embedded systems, if the interface is serial, my company actually produces many
Ethernet -> Serial convertors, which would work slick in sending commands from my PC in my office to the CNC out in the garage) =)

What software do you use?
I think you mentioned Mach3....

How much does that run?

Is that considered part of the estimate $800 cost?
(I am assuming the PC part is obviously NOT considered in the cost, but wasn't sure about the software)

Is there an open source CNC software package that might be gotten instead?

I think those are all the questions for now...

Thanks!
Scott

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 08:31:01 am »
Hi, Scott.

I'll get some more pictures for you and post them in a separate reply, but here are some answers to your questions:

1.  My space is somewhat limited in my garage, so I was wondering if when its not in use, can the upper part move to the back, thus giving me a workspace for other things I might do, non-CNC cutting-wise?

My response: Yes, the taller portion (that makes up the y-axis and z-axis) can be moved to the front or back of the machine, leaving approximately 3' of workspace on the tabletop.  You'd want to be careful with the type of work you do on top of the CNC machine's worktable since you ideally want it to remain flat and unmarred.  Many users of CNC machines will insert a 1/8" piece of hardwood (available in 2x4 size) over the worktable and this is a sacrificial sheet that can be removed and replaced as often as you like.  For me, I find myself storing small tools on the cnc machine tabletop quite often - measuring tape, drill bits, etc.

2.  Is the idea that you cut the first set of parts, and try to get it as close to as "correct" as possible, and then if you find a few of your parts not perfect, that you could have the CNC machine redo the cuts for you?

My response:  Absolutely!  You can do this, and Patrick does this quite often.  The three machines built while I wrote this book (my dad's machine, mine, and my tech editors) all are working just fine and accurate without any recutting of parts using the actual CNC machine.  I did make a mistake on trimming a part during the initial build and we just ended up cutting that part again with a tablesaw (and using the matching piece to get the size correct - you'll do this a lot!  Since most parts on the CNC machine have a partner/matching piece, you can increase your accuracy by cutting them at the same time and using a tablesaw or sander to get their dimensions dead-on accurately matching.

3.  How does the interface work to the PC?  Is it assumed you will have a PC underneath the machine that will serve the CNC with the commands, etc?

My response:  The cnc machine and its motors and the motor drivers connect to a breakout board (I'll post a photo in separate response).  This breakout board connects to your PC via the printer port (LPT1).  It doesn't get much easier.  If your PC doesn't have a printer port, you can buy them at Radio Shack or computer parts stores for less than $10 these days.  (Microcenter in Atlanta sells them for $6.00).  I have seen breakout boards with USB interface, but they're more expensive and the word on the street (various cnc discussion boards) is that the parallel port method is more reliable and less finicky - I can't speak to that since I've only used the parallel port method, but it does work!

You do NOT have to have the PC underneath or beside the machine except when you wish to use it... my dad keeps his PC to the side of his worktable and disconnects it when not in use.  I take my PC in and out of the house (to the garage) when I need it.  My tech editor has his permanently wired to his machine (and I'll include a photo of that, too).  My tech editor wired up all the electronics using nothing more than my chapters, and he says if he can successfully get it wired up, then any reader can (he's more of a woodworker than electrician).

4.  What software do you use?

My response:  So far, I've used the free version of Mach3 which has allowed me to do most of the basic stuff you've seen.  The full version is around $150 and ArtSoft recommends you NOT buy it until you find you need to do more than the 500 lines of G-code that the free version allows.

As for CAD - I use the demo of VCarve - it's a bit pricey ($600) but I'm preparing to buy it because, honestly, it's that easy to create stuff!  Check out the website at http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/vcp/whats_new/vcp_v5/whats_new_overview.htm

The function of the book was to provide instruction for building a CNC machine - we didn't want to completely leave the reader hanging when it came to CAD/CAM/Controller software, so we do make some recommendations and provide some more websites... including quite a few free/open source alternatives.  When it comes to CAD software, though, there are just too many to cover and everyone seems to find their own favorite.

Any more questions, let me know... I'll try and get back here later and post a bunch more photos for you - I'll grab as many as I can and post quite a few (a limit of 8 per post, so forgive me if I add a few more posts to this thread.) 

Jim

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2009, 09:13:15 am »
Scott,

Here are some more photos...

1.  Breakout board wired up to the stepper motor drivers
2.  Rear view of Y-axis and Z-axis
3.  Machine's MDF parts all bolted together - minus electronics/motors/lead screws
4.  Closeup of Z-axis motor (very top of machine)
5.  Y-axis frame with Z-axis frame sitting on top of worktable and ready to install
6.  Hooked up an electric drill to the lead screw to test smoothness of movement along the Y-axis
7.  My dad's computer setup
8.  My tech editor's computer setup (he went a little above and beyond with the little cabinet, and his goal is to enclose most of it with plexi.

bkenobi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2021, 10:41:52 pm
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 10:12:57 am »
Your dad's computer might be in need of some ergonomics improvements.  I'm not sure OSHA would approve of having a table saw blade that close to your mouse hand.   :laugh2:

Scottk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2023, 11:16:12 am
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 10:31:11 am »
Thank You for your answers and Photos!

It is already a done deal that I am going to buy your book and build one.  (Or, at least, attempting to build one) :)

Another question...

My space in my garage is very limited for storage of something this, however, I could see a very occasional need for cutting something larger than a 2x4, say a 4x8.

Now, I sure don't want to build a 4x8 version of this, as it would be much too large!

I was curious, any thoughts as to possibility of moving the arms from being on the "4 foot" side, and instead be on the "2 foot" side?

If that was done, then might it be possible to "cut" a 4x8 by shifting the piece 1/4 of the way at a time, and doing 4 cutting "passes" with me shifting the piece each pass, to get a full 4x8 cut?

Obviously this changes the plans drastically, as we are moving just about everything 90 degrees and thus causing lots of parts to be done "opposite", but I wonder if its even feasible to consider?

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 11:48:38 am »
You will always have the issue of the weight of the router and its surrounding frame... I'm sure it could be done, but I'd be more concerned about the stress put on the two sides as the middle piece that makes up the Y-axis would be longer (4' vs 2') and I'm sure there would be some tension put on the edges... maybe even some warpage/twisting/not-sure-of-the-word...

Can it be done?  Sure... but I think it would involve a complete redesign of this table as well as coming up with some ways to keep stresses low... but I love the idea of being able to feed in a piece of 4x8 plywood... but CNC machines are accurate, so you (as the human operator) would have to be very careful about moving/feeding the piece because any small deviation on your part, either pushing the piece forward too far or not far enough will show up... and then there's the accidental twisting of the workpiece so it's no longer square... lots of hassle!

Jim

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 12:09:00 pm »
Very cool indeed!

I know this will sound weird, but how about portability? Does the machine break down well, or would it not be recommended? I only ask because I anticipate moving in about 2 years, and don't want to build it if I will have to do so again in 2 years.

This will be a fantastic tool to use for cutting plexi for CP Covers, marquees, custom backlit side art templates, Internal shelving for PC parts..the applications really are endless here.

Would definitely be interested!
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 12:16:13 pm »
Hi, Aceldamor... Glad you like it!  Yes, one of the many things I was thinking about as I was building this was how easy it would have been to do some more customization on my arcade cabinet with this thing!!  Maybe the next one (a bartop is my next arcade project and I'll def be using my CNC machine to do the components).

As for portability - well, it's heavy.  MDF isn't light, and throw on the electronics and all the bolts and such, and it's best to move it with two people.  My ultimate goal is to bolt it down to a workbench I'm building with casters that can lockdown.  But the entire machine easily fits in the back of my Nissan Frontier (small pickup truck).  The lead screws help to keep the various axis frames from moving, but you'd still want to be careful that nothing hits them or pulls on them.  Can one person pick this thing up and load it in a truck?  Not without some sort of assistance with a dolly or other device... but two people (my dad and I) easily moved them around with no problem.  I think it's the bulk of the thing, not really the weight...

Jim

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »
I've been eyeballing this book for a while. I have this Barnes and Nobel gift card that I'll probably use for this. I would be interested in hearing how the book compares with PHD's website... that resource is already pretty detailed and clear. I suppose the book is just a polished up version of all that info? (Plus easier reading...)

http://buildyourcnc.com/step1.aspx

In general there is so much info out on the web that a book seems like it might be redundant? A DIY CNC machine is the kind of project where a newbie can learn quite a lot by looking at all the projects/plans already out there, and take some of the best ideas from each one.

But yes... a DIY CNC machine is definitely a project I'd like to take on. I've been lurking over at CNCZone a lot lately.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 08:26:55 am »
I've watched every video, read every page, over at buildyourcnc.com - Patrick provides a LOT of information,but much of it is out of date (older versions of machines he no longer supports or recommends). 

Yes, a person could easily build their own CNC machine by carefully examining all the content out there, but it's so scattered and some of it conflicts.  Patrick and I discussed this book for quite some time before settling on the machine, the format, etc...

What we decided was to include the best machine that satisfied the most demands of a new cnc builder:  low cost (relatively, speaking), simplest method of movement (rails and lead screws), and ease of cutting/drilling/assembly (MDF vs other materials). 

We also decided to have many chapters versus a few large ones.  We chose spots where the reader could stop, look at the work they'd done to that point, and see progress.  Each chapter of the building process is fairly short compared to other books.  That's because readers typically prefer complicated info in small bits... so we broke the cutting/drilling/assembly process down into as many sub-parts as we could... no bookmarks needed - you'll finish a chapter and a checklist at the end of each chapter will summarize the work you've done, the hardware you've used (bolts, nuts, etc), and what's next.

What's nice about buildyourcnc.com is that Patrick has realistically shown how to build a cnc machine using five tools - handsaw, mitre box, drill, tap, and screwdriver.  I couldn't believe it at first, but Patrick really didn't have that many tools when he started out, so he used what he had.  This is a point we tell readers in the book - you don't need a huge garage of tools (but it helps)... with patience and some basic tools, you can build this machine.  (The electronics don't even have to be soldered, but we recommend that in place of wire nuts).

The book serves many purposes, one being having all the info in one place.  After building this machine, I'm much more confident now in building my next one (bigger, different form factor, different method of movement).  CNCZone is a site that we recommend in the book, and they've also offered us some free advertising for the book... it's a great site!

Hope some of this helps...

Jim

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 11:14:28 am »
Good info. I am quite interested, but the release delays are puzzling. Awhile back it said the beginning of October... then November. Now it says it won't ship for 1 to 2 months?

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Machine-Technology-Action/dp/1430224894/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258215121&sr=8-1

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 06:43:59 pm »
I've found that you can't really trust Amazon's "Ships in X months..." messages... it's like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  The book was pushed up from a jan/feb 2010 expected publishing date to a November 2009 date... I spoke with my editor on Friday and the book is still scheduled to be released and for sale by end of November.

Jim

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2009, 10:36:05 pm »
Hmm.. This looks like a nice little set of plans, too. Free is always nice, too.

http://diylilcnc.org/

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »
Yes, the DIYLIL machine is awesome... for extremely detailed work, it'd be great... I like the bigger workspace that I have with my own machine and the motors and router are a little more powerful, too... I guess it all depends on what you'll be doing with it.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »
The book is out - I just got my author copies.  It's usually about 1 week after I get my copies that Amazon and B&N have them on the shelves and/or ship them. 

Jim

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 12:58:28 pm »
Crap... can't find my B&N gift card...

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2009, 05:44:16 pm »
Besides getting the book, I recomend people go to CNCzone.com for their forums, in particular the DIY area.  Lots of great info there as well as free plans.

http://cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

I myself am slowly putting together a Joes4x4 Hybrid CNC.  www.joescnc.com

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2009, 05:48:10 pm »
Not familiar with the Joe's CNC, but it sure looks cool... 4x4 meaning 4 feet x 4 feet?  Nice size!

Jim

nox771

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2011, 08:50:12 am
    • rewiredgear
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2009, 12:51:07 am »
Joescnc looks pretty cool.  The 4x4 CNC looks beyond the scope of an $800 project though given the amount of structural metal used.  The older design had interesting elements - I like the torsion box base.

Also just a note, I had the book on order and Amazon sent an email that it has been shipped, so the books are in.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2009, 08:59:35 am »
nox771:  yes, a 4x4 workspace would double the workspace size of the machine I built but I'm betting the cost would be much more... increasing the width or length of the x axis has an immediate effect on the y axis - many of the y-axis parts will now double in size, as will your hardware costs (more bolts to keep the rigidity constant).

Thanks for buying the book!  I really hope you'll post a picture (or pictures) as you build and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Jim

rbarr110

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2023, 04:02:41 pm
  • I already built my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2009, 12:09:45 pm »
Joescnc looks pretty cool.  The 4x4 CNC looks beyond the scope of an $800 project though given the amount of structural metal used. 

Yes, the 4x4 is much more expensive, you can expect to drop over $2k.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2009, 09:35:34 am »
If any of you are interested, we have most of the full color photos and videos on the book's website now - http://buildyourcnc.com/Book.aspx - just click on a chapter along the left side of the screen.  We're not 100% done yet, but we're almost done... we have a LOT of videos to upload and are only up to chapter 13 at this point... 6 more to go.

Jim

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2010, 11:27:34 pm »
So I've got myself the book and I'm thinking about giving this a go but I can't locate the bill of materials...  Am I missing something?  Shouldn't there be a list of how many nuts and bolts and in what size are required?  I know there's a "Hardware Required" section at the end of each chapter but being a purchasing agent in a custom manufacturing facility for a couple years has shown me just how important a B.O.M. is... 

I suppose I could go through the book and add everything up but even if I did that I wouldn't have stuff like the length of the lead screws which as an example, in figure 9-9 of chapter 9 it says "Mark an extra 1" of lead screw on both ends of the table and cut."  While I can imagine that since the book is aimed at those who might not have the skills (as accurately as you would like) to cut the whole thing out, assemble it and expect everything to line up perfectly, it is frustrating from a perspective of a mechanically inclined person who just wants to order all the hardware in one go.

Here's hoping that you've got a B.O.M. for me and a suggestion to put it up on the website and maybe consider putting it in version 2 of the book if that's any sort of possible.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2010, 07:22:37 am »
Check out the book's forum at www.buildyourcnc.com/book.aspx - we've had similar requests and Patrick is putting one together.  In the meantime, a reader has put together his own as a downloadable Excel spreadsheet and posted a link in the forums.

Jim

crashwg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34:59 am »
Good to know, thanks.  I guess I'll start by picking up some MDF and some required tools then.
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen