Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: In The Zone ... Battlezone  (Read 2997 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
In The Zone ... Battlezone
« on: October 26, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »
This project turned out to be pretty expensive and a pain in the ass. First off, the ---meecrob--- bag I bought it from was a hard ass and wouldn't come down in price even after 6 months of it just sitting there doing nothing. That said, it's on me for over-paying for this at $300.00 in the condition it was in. I had no idea though...

Where to start with the problems? Lets see. F100 on the monitor was BURNING UP...glowing red... and F101 had no juice at all. I re-capped the chassis... same deal... I re-flowed the connection headers (which i should have done while the boards were out for the re-cap). After re-flowing the connection headers both F100 and F101 blew. After a bit of testing I determine the diode bridge rectifier was bad. Another order from Bob later and the monitor powered up.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the beginning of my problems. When running, the image on screen would pulse...here are a couple videos of the problem:

Not happy...not happy at all. I pulled the G05 from an Asteroids I have here and it did the same thing with the Asteroids... hey, at least I ruled out the monitor.

After another order from Bob I replaced the big blue. No fix. Like a dumb ass I didn't order a bridge rectifier for the power supply at the same time as the Big Blue, so yet ANOTHER order from Bob and once again... NO HELP. Now I had a rebuilt power brick ruled out and the monitor ruled out. I tried a 2nd AR-II... nope...same issue. All I had left was the PCB itself and the harness. I wired a direct ground... no help. It HAD to be the PCB... right?

Well, I managed to acquire a working set of PCBs (cha-ching!) and sure enough... the pulse went away. Something in the main PCB is jacked as I am still using my original AUX board.

Other things I did: I picked up new color gels... and new bellows for the sticks... I also build a new monitor bezel (where the color gels attach) out of black foam board.

Finally I cleaned it up, tried to restore the art as best as I could... added new T-Molding to the step... and added casters lifting the cab by about 3.25" which helps me as I had to really crouch down to play before.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: In The Zone ... Battlezone
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:12:31 pm »
Did you check/replace any caps on that first PCB ? Looks like power problems to me.

AND, so often overlooked: Poor edge-connector contact....

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 04:29:17 pm »
Did you check/replace any caps on that first PCB ? Looks like power problems to me.

I've done nothing to the problematic BZ pcb thus far.... edge connector LOOKS fine...and the harness works great on the other board.  I'm thinking bad filter caps on the board?  Not sure.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »
Hmm...  noted for interest...  I have a Battlezone that plays blind that I need to work on.

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »
Looks good, especially compared to mine.   :cheers:
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 04:39:35 am »

I've done nothing to the problematic BZ pcb thus far.... edge connector LOOKS fine...and the harness works great on the other board.  I'm thinking bad filter caps on the board?  Not sure.
Yeah, the filter caps are a good candidate then.

I am already extremely happy that I _played_ a BZ a couple of years ago at Speleo's place, let alone owning one....300 bucks would be a steal for it here.....