Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Cab Black Nintendo -- Updated 13 feb. 2011: 1080i CRT TV  (Read 12354 times)

ptinolv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2024, 01:37:18 am
MAME Cab Black Nintendo -- Updated 13 feb. 2011: 1080i CRT TV
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:33:33 pm »
We are 2 students and we decided months ago to have a MAME cab. We finished the cab approximately 2 months ago. I couldn't find the time before to write this post.

Cabinet Structure
At the beginning, we checked around and we fell in love with the zombie machine of zombiearcades.co.uk. The only problem is that we don't have the £2499 + taxes that it costs, being students living in canada (2499£~4300CA$). So we decided to make our own.
http://www.zombiearcades.co.uk/

We decided to make a cab similar but with a theme different than zombies, and with a CRT TV because lcd screen was too expensive. We managed to get exactly the dimensions of the cabinet from the pictures but realized that it was too small for our TV Toshiba 27" flatscreen that we found on craigslist. We decided to scale everything up and make it a little deeper so the TV would fit. After getting all the tools from craigslist or kijiji, and having plywood from a precedent project (a bar countertop), we could start the cuts :

In order to make the round edges, we bought a platic hashtray in dollarama that we screwed and routed around. Then we put the formica on it. We got the formica from a local distributor in order to have very big sheets and less scrap.
We first tried to glue the laminate directly, but it was not positionned correctly and we broke it trying to remove it. So  we did it like presented here http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/htseries/formica.html and it went a lot better. You just have to be carefull of not leaving anything under the formica. It happened and we had a bump on the formica. We made a hole with the router on the other side to remove it.

Then started to put the elements together. As we don't trust glue for our plywood 5/8" and had a good experience using pocket holes, we decided to use that. For those who don't know what pocket holes are, you can check thoses links  :
http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=30
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5cza-XVSHA

Then we made the groove with a cutting bit, in order to put the T-molding. We couldn't find other brand that FREUD. Those things are expensive but we managed to return it and have a refund.

At some point there were sparkles while routing because we were cutting the pocket holes screws. (yeah , you can't think about everything). So we had to be carefull and route around.

We dismanteled the TV and put it inside the cabinet. For the bezel we just put a board of wood (our screen is flat) that we routed, laminated and painted on the egdes.

We put on the back a ventilation grill and an 110V computer input

PS : I apologize for my english. It is not my first language.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:50:03 pm by ptinolv »

ptinolv

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Cab Nintendo inspired by zombiearcades.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »
Speakers
It was time for some electronics. Let's start with the speakers. We got i-trigue speakers from craigslist for a very cheap price. We wanted to put a grill but we couldn't find a decent one. So as a temporary solution (that finaly became permanent), we routed 3 holes for each speaker so it finally looks like that :

Control Panel
For the control panel, we ordered the components from divemaster (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=47066.0) 2 joysticks sanwa JLW8 and chrome illuminated push buttons of Ultralux. Divemaster was very nice and replies very quickly (within the 15 next minutes sometime). For the layout, we chose the standard japanese one : http://slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html with 6 buttons. It feels very confortable and i don't regret this choice.

For the surface of the control panel, we put laminate, made 2 holes for the jack connectors, and we put envirotex on it. Envirotex is a product that you can spread and becomes hard like glass. It is a toxic product and you need to apply it in 20 minutes, so you have to be careful when you do that. http://eti-usa.com/consum/envtex/envlite.htm

We made the hole for the buttons. But by drilling the envirotex a white mark could appear around, probably because some air could go between the laminate and the layer of envirotex. So we had to drill carefully using different bit sizes. If i had to do it again , i would drill all the holes before applying the envirotex.

The controls are 2 wired xbox 360 controllers that i hacked, so the arcade would be xbox360 compatible. One is an official xbox controller and the other one is a joytech pad. For the joytech i couldn't find any information on internet, so i had to find where to connect my wires without having 2 wires per buttons. Unfortunately none of them has a common ground so each pad has 20 wires.

Marquee and finitions
Our theme is nintendo. We wanted to have a nice theme but discrete. We made the following marquee :

We printed it on a local print shop. The result is very nice.
For the marquee retainer, we use this T-molding : http://www.t-molding.com/store/product.php?productid=15&cat=5&page=1 This is a T-molding with an offset. By using this one, we have a perfect continuity between the molding and the board. We had to screw small pieces in metal behind the marquee so it stays in position.

Glass & other finish
We bought a square of glass grey tinted 6mm thick, in a local company. We got some black edge borders on an old desk some guy in our building was throwing away. We glued them with a glue gun. So after putting everything together :

Software
For the frontend we chose Gamex. It provides a lot of functionnalities even i found strange behaviors and bugs in the setup (its no big deal but made me lose some time).
In order to use my xbox 360 controller, i use the XBCD driver. You can for instance affect the D-Pad(pov) to the analog joysticks etc.
To have a correct profile for each game and emulator , we use xpadder with different profiles that i select by launching "xpadder.exe Pad1.profile Pad2.profile" before the game.
For mame, i use MameUiFX that supports hiscore and have nice fonts.
As an intoduction video, we made this one (with blender) that is launched at the beginning :

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:09:12 pm by ptinolv »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:44:50 pm »
All in all, a very nice job!  :applaud:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:15:17 pm »
Very nice work!   :applaud:

Interesting approach on the control panel coating.  I'm guessing that stuff is very durable.  Is there anything in particular you have to do to keep air bubbles out?

Oh, and thank you very much, you just made up my mind to use chrome T-Molding on my build.  Looks very classy!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:37:23 pm by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

ptinolv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 09:15:13 pm »
It does seem durable. When you put it, there are a lot of bubble. The bubbles pop out with the CO2 apparently.  I used a torch. You can see the bubbles disappear as soon as you approch the flame (the flame needs to be around 15cm away).

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 02:02:45 am »
Out of curiousity you mention you used a local distributor. Do you mind passing along the name and cost? Im also in Canada and HD no longer carries the 4x8 sheets in Flat Black ($55). Other distributors supply 5x12 sheets at $130 or 4x8 at $80.

Thanks!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

ptinolv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:39:54 am »
I live in the region of Montreal. I got my formica from "Robert Bury Canada" and the prices were 75.9CA$+tx for the 5x12 and 40.48CA$+tx for the 4x8 (black). I sent an email to the company formica to know the local distributors and then i called them one by one to find the cheapest.

You can also try to check Reno Depot, they usually carry cheap 4x8 black sheets.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:12:17 pm by ptinolv »

ptinolv

• Offline Offline
Re: MAME Cab Black Nintendo
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:53 pm »
We finally find a CRT TV high definition to replace the 480i TV (toshiba 27") of the cabinet. The new CRT TV is a Samsung 27" 1080i (model TXN2771HF). The difference is huge compared to the old TV. It required quite a bit of work, since the new TV is slightly larger. I had to file the board were the TV is inserted.

Here is some pictures i took with my camera :

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:48 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
Re: MAME Cab Black Nintendo -- Updated 13 feb. 2011: 1080i CRT TV
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:58:16 am »
Wow, I wish high res CRTs were available at ANY time here in Sweden.  :o It looks amazing.  :applaud:

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:57 am »
Well done  :applaud:. That chrome T-molding really makes it pop. And I love that marquee (especially that gears of war cog with the gumba.

Question: what game is that guy with the green hair from? The one that has "Did you enjoy Dancing..."

:cheers:

britinva

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2011, 08:53:26 am
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:50 am »
Very nice.

What are all the controls in the top/middle of the conrol panel.

ptinolv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 12:23:10 pm »
Thank you.

The green hair guy is from "Battle Flip Shot" (or its sequel "Bang Bead"). It is a very fun game.
At the top of the control panel there are 4 admin buttons, 2 jack audio output,  and 2 knobs in the middle (for the volume and the bass of the speakers).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:06:39 pm by ptinolv »