Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 7 and touchscreen operation?  (Read 7890 times)

Dermbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Windows 7 and touchscreen operation?
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:42:53 pm »
Has anyone tried, or does anyone expect to try shortly after the release, WinCab on a touchscreen under Windows 7?

Will it work...like in XP, or will it not work...like in Vista.  That is the question.

I can get Windows 7 as a student (yay for community colleges) for $30.   XP, if I can still get it, will be at least $130 or so for an OEM version license.

Brian

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Windows 7 and touchscreen operation?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »
It works for some, not for others.  I have not yet found a pattern as to why.  My touchscreen test monitor does not have Vista drivers so I cann't do any work to try to solve this.  I apologize for the inconvenience.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:51:27 pm »
I would have to assume it all boils down to if the manufacturer of your particular touchscreen controller has developed drivers that function with a particular OS.

i.e. - Does 3M have drivers for their controller model XXX for Windows Vista ?
        Does 3M have drivers for their controller model XXX for Windows 7 ?
        etc, etc

Best thing I would recommend is for anyone with a touchscreen to check with the manufacturer and see what updated drivers are available for the particular OS they want to use.

Shouldn't have anything to do with WinCab at this point.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:58:48 pm »
Kevin, it's not that straightforward. 

What I have is one of the newer 'All-In-One' PC's, an MSI 18.5 inch touchscreen monitor/PC combination.  It has Vista as its operating system.  WinCab's touchscreen support is limited to DOS and Windows XP.  It definitely doesn't work in Vista on my system, although all other touchscreen programs and jukebox apps that I have tried do work with my Vista system.  The issue is the way WinCab uses the mouse/touchscreen under the Allegro game programming system that is part of WinCab's (and DOSCab's) construction.

I'm still curious, though, if anyone has installed Windows 7 and tried it with WinCab.

Anyone planning to own a Windows 7 touchscreen system shortly after its release this month and planning to try it?  I probably will if nobody else does....

Brian

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:09 pm »
Ignore my earlier message on this thread, as for some reason I missed that it was about Windows 7.

I do not have Windows 7 to test against, nor am I likely to in the near future.
--Chris

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:25:13 pm »
Kevin, it's not that straightforward. 
WinCab's touchscreen support is limited to DOS and Windows XP. 

Yeah, I don't understand a lot of the programming side of things. But I do know that I have been using an older version of WinCab and touchscreen for a long time now (Win98, WinXP)
Well before "touchscreen support" seemed to be the big hoopla. (think the version in my jukebox is 3.1.1.0) The touchscreen drivers run in the background, ANY program with a "button" works with it, nothing to do with WinCab support that I'm aware of.

It definitely doesn't work in Vista on my system, although all other touchscreen programs and jukebox apps that I have tried do work with my Vista system. 

DOS based programs ?
Do the drivers for your touchscreen support DOS ?

Maybe I shouldn't speak to quickly as I haven't even messed with Vista or Window 7. (and frankly don't plan to anytime soon)
I just see a lot of touchscreen problems based on proper drivers for the microcontrollers.
(i.e. Trying to use touchscreen with DOS based programs without DOS drivers)

I'm definitely out of my league when people start talking Allegro, bits and binary and all that.  :lol
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 11:45:37 pm »
Yeah, I don't understand a lot of the programming side of things. But I do know that I have been using an older version of WinCab and touchscreen for a long time now (Win98, WinXP)
Well before "touchscreen support" seemed to be the big hoopla. (think the version in my jukebox is 3.1.1.0) The touchscreen drivers run in the background, ANY program with a "button" works with it, nothing to do with WinCab support that I'm aware of.
The problem is that WinCab does not use Windows' buttons, it creates its own, and it uses the Allegro librray for mouse input.  Allegro was meant for games, so it does not track mouse position, it tracks mouse motion, which is usully much more useful for a game.  There is no mouse motion on a touchscreen; it teleports from place to place, updating the mouse driver's position counters but not motion counters, so the mouse pointer never moves.  I've hacked Allegro's mouse support to read positionally rather than by motion but that hack only works on XP; I never understood why.  DOS could be made to work by telling it to use a mouse driver that does not have the ability to track motion.
--Chris

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 08:23:32 am »
I took the plunge and installed Windows 7 on my touchscreen PC.  Well, mostly installed it.  I'll consider it done when I get my network printer working again.

WinCab acts the same way it did in Vista.  Program works.  Touchscreen doesn't when fullscreen (touches are recognized but cursor jumps to the nearest border...touch does not occur in correct location), kind of works when windowed (touches are not always recognized but do occur in correct place).

Brian