Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Harbor Freight  (Read 12197 times)

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Re: Harbor Freight
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 10:50:12 am »
I didn't realize it was a Necro thread since the HF parking lot sale was this weekend here, lol.

RE Craftsman tools:  Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much when you rely on your tools for a living, because if it breaks and you don't have a spare, you are not able to make money until it is replaced.  Also, if you HAVE ever had a socket break on you, it is usually in spectacular fashion when you are in a position to hurt yourself when it gives.  Nothing like an injury to go along with that broken tool you have to take to the store to get replaced.  When I worked in a shop I bought Snap On and Mac because A) they lasted longer than the Sears stuff and just worked better, and B) the truck was there every week and if something DID break, they replaced it, and I didn't have to take part of my day to go to the store.  That was about 20 years ago though, I can't speak for the quality of Snap On, Mac, and Matco now.

For home use, Craftsman is perfect and probably a better choice than the expensive stuff.  Many of my tools are now craftsman.  Unfortunately going to Sears these days with a couple broken sockets usually means you are going home with the same broken sockets because they don't have it in stock.

HF has its place for tools, particularly when you need a specialty tool you will use once and put in a drawer.  I have spring compressors, jack stands, a torque wrench, and maybe 10 other tools I picked up over the years, and I saved a TON buying them.  The reason I knew there was a sale this weekend was because I just ordered a drywall lift off Amazon but I was going to buy it at HF, and when I mentioned it to my son he told me about the sale.  BTW, the lift at Amazon was cheaper than at HF, and is shipped directly to me, where I would have to drive for 10 minutes to pick up the one at HF..  Amazon is my "go to" for tools these days, unless I need it right now.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 11:47:42 am »
BTW, the lift at Amazon was cheaper than at HF, and is shipped directly to me, where I would have to drive for 10 minutes to pick up the one at HF..  Amazon is my "go to" for tools these days, unless I need it right now.

Was it more than the HF price after the 20% off coupon ?? ( If picking up a single item they pretty much always have a valid 20% or sometimes 25% off any regular priced item which can usually more than make up the price difference ! )

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 03:58:13 pm »
BTW, the lift at Amazon was cheaper than at HF, and is shipped directly to me, where I would have to drive for 10 minutes to pick up the one at HF..  Amazon is my "go to" for tools these days, unless I need it right now.

Was it more than the HF price after the 20% off coupon ?? ( If picking up a single item they pretty much always have a valid 20% or sometimes 25% off any regular priced item which can usually more than make up the price difference ! )
It was probably a bit cheaper if I had found a coupon or waited for it to go on sale, but the one I picked on Amazon had a ton of 5 star reviews, and I had heard of the HF lift having cheap welds and failing for some, something I didn't want to hassle with.  When I am done with it I will probably sell it or just throw it out, but I don't want a 100lb sheet of 5/8" drywall falling on my head while I have it, lol.