Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hi Score Comp #28: Satan's Hollow *SPONSORED BY GROOVY GAME GEAR*  (Read 13055 times)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Hi Score Comp #28: Satan's Hollow *SPONSORED BY GROOVY GAME GEAR*
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 08:31:09 am »
C-C-C-Combo breaker!

Congrats Jason!

What's the next game?

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:25 am »
jb from out of nowhere!  great score.

I've already got your address.  I'll send it to Randy as well. 
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 01:00:20 pm »
Thanks--it took *a lot* of hours for me to get that good.  Progress was pretty slow.  And you can see that my high was still a bit of a fluke compared to my other high scores.

Like Ummon, I was trying to determine which levels were the best ones for crossing the bridge.

To get better, I played lots of games where I never crossed the bridge, to force myself to not run like a coward & to deal with the busy waves with less firepower.

Then, when I started crossing the bridge in my games again, I had to decide: "I've made it through this wave before...should I fight it out or take the big bonus this time around?"  Decisions...

I also got a feel for where to position myself in each level to get the demon head right away or to get the gargoyles on those levels where they're all lined up.  I was going to write a list of levels, but it changes up a little bit when you cross the bridge to fight Satan, so I figured I'd just confuse myself with a written list (plus, I've never written video game notes before & that's a sign of being *too* serious).

Isucamper, I'm going to piggyback a paying order on top of the SH joystick case, so if you contact GGG, please let Randy know that he oughtn't just ship the SH case alone.  I want to send him some $ too.

I'll pick a game & post later today--I haven't had a chance to peruse my list yet.  I'll also have the game end on Thurs night again--I don't want to be responsible for "ruining" people's Friday nights when they should be out partying.   :D

Thanks,
-Jason

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:38 pm »
Hopefully you post by tonight...would love to have a game to play this Canadian long weekend :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

CrazyKongFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2009, 03:40:06 pm »
Congrats on the win Jason! :applaud: Can't wait to see the next one, hopefully another classic ;D

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »
I haven't competed since competition #13. I'm hoping for a game I have a chance at.
;D

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 04:12:56 pm »
I haven't competed since competition #13. I'm hoping for a game I have a chance at.

Amen ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 02:39:08 am »
Didn't I mention in the last isucamper-picked game competition that I like Ridley Scott movies?

And, come on, my cabinet is named the Infernolab.

And, before this post, look what my post count per day is.

It's destiny!   >:D

Thanks,
-Jason

Nice. Now I don't have to 'raffle' the prizes away an all.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 05:38:57 am »
I'm going to piggyback a paying order on top of the SH joystick case, so if you contact GGG, please let Randy know that he oughtn't just ship the SH case alone.  I want to send him some $ too.

Noted.  Congratulations on the win.  It'll be here for you when you are ready.

RandyT

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 10:57:25 pm »
Got my SH stick in the mail yesterday--woohoo!  What's the philips screw in there for, Randy?  It seems to be equivalent to the 5 security torx screws that I already had on my standard Happ triggerstick.  A spare?

Wanting some customization, I removed the Satan's Hollow sticker from the clear plastic plate, cleaned up the adhesive residue w/ Goo-Gone, found took an almost-face-on picture of my BattleBot Dr. Inferno Jr., printed it to size, trimmed it out, Dremeled holes in the GGG plastic plate, slipped my photo behind the plate, & installed everything.

And re-installed many times over, after making various gaffs & finding that the tolerances on the slots holding that plate really don't allow for a piece of hefty photo paper behind the plate.  What a headache!

Source of inspiration: Dr. Inferno Jr. & his beady red eyes: http://infernolab.com/galleryfiles/drijrgallery.html

Control panel before the swap: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/infernolab/Arcade%20Game/01fullcabinet.jpg

Control panel after the swap: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/infernolab/Arcade%20Game/DrSatanInfernosHollowJrStick2.jpg

Closeup of finished installation: http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff97/infernolab/Arcade%20Game/DrSatanInfernosHollowJrStick1.jpg

I know, it's not the flashiest of inserts, but it means a lot to me, and my friends & family will get a big kick out of it too.

Thanks,
-Jason

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 09:28:45 pm »
Dude, how are people playing on the ends?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 09:37:03 pm »
Gotta slide the cab out to make room for side players.  Doesn't happen often.  Cab is on furniture sliders & isn't too hard to move.

-Jason

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »
Ouh. Riaaght.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

jasonbar

• Offline Offline
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
My thoughts on the Legend US theatrical release vs. the Ultimate Edition:

Music: I prefer the Tangerine Dream electronic score of the USTR over the classical score of the UE.  Lily's singing in the UE is a little corny, but it fits her innocent & naive character well.  However, the awful Jon Anderson & Brian Ferry songs at the end of the USTR score all but kill the movie...

Character Development/Dialog: the UE has *much* more dialog, really making the characters far more interesting.  I watched the USTR after the UE & most of those conversations still exist, but they're severely truncated & hacked, which makes the dialog & continuity appear very awkward.

Intro: The USTR has on-screen text, while the UE has Darkness speaking to set the stage.  A little awkward in the UE that he's sitting in his chair (obscured from view) by his fireplace, talking to himself, setting the stage...but it makes it feel a bit more like a theatrical production.  This monologue & an extended conversation with Blix the goblin does drag on a bit before the movie really starts, but it works.  UE wins here.

Darkness: The UE teases the audience w/ glimpses of Darkness until his full dramatic reveal through the mirror.  USTR shows him early on--no suspense or drama or surprise there...

Extra Bits: I think the only extra bit shown in the USTR but not the UE was when some nasties jump out & scare Gump in Darkness' castle.  The scene was mildly entertaining but certainly optional.

DVD Extras: It's *amazing* what they built for this movie--an entire forest in the biggest sound stage in Europe.  Populated w/ real live animals who were *living* in it during shooting.  And more animals (pigeons, etc) just moved in on their own!  It all burned down before filming was over.  Too bad.  Early film test was interesting.  Blix is modeled after Keith Richards--if you shrink the nose & chin a little, it looks totally like him--awesome.

Long story short, thanks a lot Isucamper.  It was interesting seeing the 2 versions within a week or so of each other & learning about the movie-making process & the compromises/changes/etc that can change a film dramatically.   :cheers:

Thanks,
-Jason
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:56:22 pm by jasonbar »