Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc AimTrak Light Gun Module reviews  (Read 31276 times)

romshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
Ultimarc AimTrak Light Gun Module reviews
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:26:16 pm »
The much anticipated AimTrak arrived today, and I had a chance to try it out before I have to go to work.

First, what's in the box? Exactly what the site said it would. The actual module, the LED board, trigger wires, USB cables for both the module and the LED board, and a USB extension cable. The module comes in a small protective box, like a fine piece of jewelry. The sensor on the board looks like it's bent back a little, but I think it's by design. I don't dare try to bend it.

I temporarily mounted the LED board on my laptop and plugged everything in. Connected a spare microswitch to the trigger harness and plugged that in. Lo and behold, moving the board around caused the cursor to move.  A quick online read, and I calibrated the thing. On the Windows Desktop, it appears to have very good accuracy (note I'm just holding the board in one hand and the microswitch in a pushbutton in the other. No gun casing yet.)

That was the easy part. Figuring out how to get MAME to see it took some time. But, after changing lightgun control to lightgun (didn't seem to work as mouse, but I might have had something else set wrong), the ducks were falling (VS. Duckhunt) and the aliens were exploding (Area 51). Since I'm not exactly the best at gun games, and it's still just the pcb, I didn't fare too well, but I plan to have plenty of practice in the future. :)

The only real problem I had (my fault) was testing the Aimtrack sideways. then I tried to calibrate sideways. It didn't like that, and got stuck in calibration mode. I had to unplug it to stop, and when I did, my trigger button stopped working. Hopefully, the downloadable software (when released) will help restore the trigger. The trigger still can activate the caibrate mode, though.

Other than that, this is much better than the LCD topgun. Less hardware, no drivers to load (that seemed to conflict with each other), and better accuracy for me. Just add a gun shell, and things are good to go!

The LED bar only draws power from the USB. Using a USB charger (for an iPod or similar) makes no difference. So in theory, if someone only had one open USB port, they could rewire it off 5 volt power elseware.

Please add additional reviews. Others can cover things I missed.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Ultimarc AimTrak Light Gun Module reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:40:47 pm »
The sensor on the board looks like it's bent back a little, but I think it's by design. I don't dare try to bend it.

Yes, it is intentionally that way. Definitely don't bend it.

KonkeyKong

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2021, 09:57:07 pm
  • Monkey is my business and business is good.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »
How do different posistions affect the accuracy?

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 04:08:29 pm »
Well, tested a little, without gun case. Similar to romshark, I connected a pushbutton to act like trigger.

The most important think: It's the first 64bits OS light gun compatible!!!!!. Tested on Vista 64.

It seems it tracks very fast. Good. Tracking is at least as good as LCdTopGun, with one diference. To can stand closer to the monitor.

In MameUI (64bits) the trigger is recognized like Joy 1 Button 0, not mouse 3 button 0 (remember we haven't the software to configure it). Anyway, this is good, because the mouse buttons limit.

Fow now, the 5 second trigger pressed to calibrate can be a problem playing games like Operation Wolf or Terminator 2... But this time will be configurable with the software.

I will update this post after I test more things.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:10:50 pm by Cananas »

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:01:12 pm »
I am very interested to hear what you guys have to say about how much accuracy is affected by height of the gun. The product info says if it's not held at the same height as calibration, it loses accuracy. I'm wondering how quickly the accuracy diminishes because recalibrating every time someone different holds the gun would not be ideal, particularly for my kids who want it to "just work". OTOH accuracy won't be as critical for them anyway, so if the loss in accuracy is small from where I calibrate to where they would hold it, then I'd be perfectly happy.

Regarding holding it sideways: the product info says that tilting it reduces accuracy but there are different modes (3 I think) that allow you to optimize the gun in different ways, one of which I think eliminates the tilting accuracy problem.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 06:26:07 pm »
@Cananas

I don't suppose you can test it with Alien 3 The Gun? ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:27 pm »
About tilting it. I'm wondering if wiring a few extra IR leds down one side of your screen would help that at all?

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:16:29 pm »
If it's looking for them at the top, wouldn't that just confuse it?

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 02:47:07 am »
Had some more time to work with it.
Now that the config software is available, I fixed that one problem with the button. Actually, I think it was set to gamepad 1, but I don't have joysticks enabled in MAME. Well, the point is, everything works now.
Next, I ran some tests. First, how compatible is this stuff with the Wii? Having a standard Nintendo sensor bar installed in my cab, this seemed like something I could easily test.
Using a Wii-mote with the Ultimarc LED board? Works fantastic.
Using the Ultimarc gun PCB with the Wii Sensor Bar? Not so much.
Even after calibrating, the cursor stayed in the top quarter of the screen (on the PC). Maybe more tweaking can fix this, but it's just as easy to stay with the Ultimarc stuff.

Also, the LCD Topgun works with the PC and PlayStation 2. So I hooked the PS2 to my cabinet, plugged the Ultimarc gun PCB into the upper USB port, and popped in Time Crisis 3. Unfortunately, it was not recognized as a gun. Just to make sure, I plugged my LCD Topgun in, and "Crosshair Speed" turned into "Guncon Calibration". So PS2 support is out, for now.
I'll see if I can put this in a gun shell tomorrow. Then I can test different positions.

kronic24601

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 03:08:54 pm
  • Evil Arcade Monkey Strikes Again!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »
Had some more time to work with it.
Now that the config software is available, I fixed that one problem with the button. Actually, I think it was set to gamepad 1, but I don't have joysticks enabled in MAME. Well, the point is, everything works now.
Next, I ran some tests. First, how compatible is this stuff with the Wii? Having a standard Nintendo sensor bar installed in my cab, this seemed like something I could easily test.
Using a Wii-mote with the Ultimarc LED board? Works fantastic.
Using the Ultimarc gun PCB with the Wii Sensor Bar? Not so much.
Even after calibrating, the cursor stayed in the top quarter of the screen (on the PC). Maybe more tweaking can fix this, but it's just as easy to stay with the Ultimarc stuff.

Also, the LCD Topgun works with the PC and PlayStation 2. So I hooked the PS2 to my cabinet, plugged the Ultimarc gun PCB into the upper USB port, and popped in Time Crisis 3. Unfortunately, it was not recognized as a gun. Just to make sure, I plugged my LCD Topgun in, and "Crosshair Speed" turned into "Guncon Calibration". So PS2 support is out, for now.
I'll see if I can put this in a gun shell tomorrow. Then I can test different positions.

Awesome, can't wait to hear more (esp about the height issues) ...

vertygo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 03:19:59 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43:39 pm »
Hey romshark just wanted to say I appreciate your write-ups, can't wait to hear more!

After you get the gun put together, I hope you do some Terminator testing ;)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
Terminator isn't a true "light gun" game... there's no optics in them at all.  They're essentiall joysticks.

But I don't see why these guns wouldn't work with it though.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 08:08:20 pm »
I was wondering about the compatibility with Terminator 2. Since it's a really a joystick (in the shape of a gun) game, how does this work for that? Does the mouse (or Aim Trak in this case) work for controlling the crosshairs in that game?

Man, will my cab EVER be finished?

vertygo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 03:19:59 pm
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 08:30:21 pm »
Yup, it should

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »
I just got everything soldered in (P1-P5 is a ---smurfette---!), and I'm on my way to attach the sensor bar and set this baby up!

EDIT: Having software troubles. It won't SEND the changes to the gun. Hmmm......
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:44:13 pm by Ginsu Victim »

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:58 pm »
Dang, I knew I forgot something (I was planning to test Terminator 2.) I'll try it later.

I did get it in a gun shell. I put it in an old Dreamcast lightgun. A little bigger than an arcade gun, but it'll do for now.
I hooked it up to my cabinet, temporarily put up the LED board, and configured everything to work. I tried to hook buttons up to the other connections (P1 through P5), so I could coin-up and start without having to be right at my machine. Unfortunately, the pins don't seem to work. I do have them set in the configuration software (and sent to the Gun PCB), and evern tried shorting the inputs to ground with a small wire, but they don't do anything, even in the gamepad test. I'll check my settings, as I may have done something wrong. If it is a problem on the Ultimarc end, I'm sure a simple software update is all that's needed.

And now, the part that everyone is asking about: accuracy at different angles and heights. I tried this using Area 51. I calibrated the AimTrak, but I never adjusted from the Area 51 "in-game" (service menu) settings. Got through the first part with ease.
Next, the height. I sat down on the floor (same place as I was standing). For reference, I'm roughly 5'7". Sitting on the floor, shooting up at an angle, and not recalibrating, I still did pretty good. So I don't think height is going to be much of a problem.
I tried off to the right of the screen at almost a 45 degree angle. Now I has having difficulty hitting things. In reality, nobody would seriously play from that angle, but if the angle did affect anything, a quick recalibration might be in order. I'll try to do more testing in this area.
Finally, distance from screen. I tried standing as far back from the screen as I could (a wall prevented me from going further. I did still have some cord left). So distance went from 5 ft from the screen to 9 ft. (still no recalibration, and at the same angle as when I started.) Things got hard to hit again. I might go back to see if the cursor lines up at this distance, since by this time in my test, I was in the middle of level 2, so it naturally was more difficult. Plus, I was trying to shoot things on a 21 inch screen from 9 feet away.

So, at least to me, everything seems to work as expected, given the used technology. Take into account I'm a casual gamer. Someone with actual weapons training may find small variences I didn't even notice. But for casual gamers, there's enough leeway that you won't have to put an X in tape on the carpet where the player must exactly stand, and height doesn't seem to be a major factor at all.
Perhaps a Youtube video could be made, when I have the time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 09:16:08 pm by romshark »

KonkeyKong

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2021, 09:57:07 pm
  • Monkey is my business and business is good.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 09:50:19 pm »
Appreciate all the feedback!!! :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »
Finally, distance from screen. I tried standing as far back from the screen as I could (a wall prevented me from going further. I did still have some cord left). So distance went from 5 ft from the screen to 9 ft. (still no recalibration, and at the same angle as when I started.) Things got hard to hit again. I might go back to see if the cursor lines up at this distance, since by this time in my test, I was in the middle of level 2, so it naturally was more difficult. Plus, I was trying to shoot things on a 21 inch screen from 9 feet away.

Someone brought up the need to re-calibrate when distance changes.  A light went on when I read it and it makes sense.  When the camera is angled upward at the LED's, and the two are very close together, a system like this will have no way of knowing whether the gun is raised, or angled upward, or pulled away from the screen.  All three will have a similar effect on the camera.  The software may be able to measure the length of the LED pattern to see if it gets smaller, but at those small variations in distance, it would take a very high resolution sensor to be able to do this well (or at all.)  At larger distances, this vertical shift will become less prominent.

Considering the above, going from 5ft to 9ft is not going to be the same as going from the stated minimum of 2ft to, say, 3 or 4 ft (or possibly even 2.5ft).  The real question in my mind is how it fares at "arcade" proximities.  If the deviation is very small in a 12 to 18 inch cube in space where the gun is held, then it might not be a big issue.  Can you do the same test starting closer to the screen and report the deviation at specific distances?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 02:45:30 am by RandyT »

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2009, 10:56:52 pm »
Alright, tried Terminator 2. After a lot of trial and error, got MAME PLUS to recognize the trigger (even though I have it set as a mouse, and Windows let's me click with it as a mouse, MAME [at least the one I'm using] sees it as a gun. And since T2 is technically not a true lightgun game, I couldn't set the trigger for the game. I had to trick it by going into Area 51, and setting the global Player 1 button 1 controls for the trigger, and the button 1 on my control panel. That finally worked. I'm sure there's an easier way...)
Finally got it calibrated in-game, and it works pretty good. Of course, the 5 second trigger problem was still in effect, but that's easy to disable in software. Hopefully, we can change what button enables the calibrate mode in future versions.

Looks like the major problem is getting MAME properly set up.  It even boggles my mind at times.  Perhaps someone can write a nice tutorial?

Randy, I'll try that distance test and post what I come up with.

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2009, 11:27:57 pm »
Well, I set up the measuring tape and ran the tests. This was using Area 51, but in attract mode only (tested using MAME's built-in crosshairs. BTW, I did turn off the crosshairs during my earlier Area 51 test).  All tests done lined up with the left side (player 1).
At 2.5 ft., everything worked, except the very bottom of the screen. This can be attributed to me not pointing the LEDs down at the gun (still default and taped onto my bezel, which results in them pointing ever so slightly upward.)
Now it gets wierd. At other distances (about 3 ft or more from the initial calibration point) the aiming at the right side varied in results. Half the time, the crosshair would be off an inch on the screen. Other times, it lined up darn near close. Again, more testing required.
Well, I gotta go. I have a long day ahead tomorrow. I can try to answer questions / test tomorrow night, and Sunday.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:30:30 pm by romshark »

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 12:23:16 am »
Had some time to think. The reason I couldn't set the trigger for T2 earlier was because I didn't have the gun pointed at the screen. When pointed offscreen, it sends nothing (I had set it to blank in the settings earlier.) So, now everything works fine (tested using Revolution X, a close cousin to Terminator 2 arcade game).
Still need to figure out the other buttons.
OK, this time I'm really out for the night. ;)

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 02:53:17 am »
I just got everything soldered in (P1-P5 is a ---smurfette---!), and I'm on my way to attach the sensor bar and set this baby up!

EDIT: Having software troubles. It won't SEND the changes to the gun. Hmmm......

To make effective the changes in P1 to P5, you must press the Send button, AND you must unplug and plug again the gun. This is  something that Andy did not comment, but I think it could normal for joystick in windows. EDIT: All is OK now with the 1.1 version of the firmware. No need to unplug/replug the gun.

Anyway, those buttons don't work for me. I tested all the wires and buttons connecting in parallel to the trigger and they work. So probably they are not properly enabled by Andy... EDIT: All is OK now with the 1.1 version of the firmware.

About distance and heights. It seems the gun much more sensitive to heigth variations that distance variations. In fact I considervery very distance sensitive: A little closer to the screen and you look how the cursor has and offset (outer to the center of the screen) to the left in left part of the screen and to the right in the right part. If you go farder slowly, you see there is a position (generally the initial position, sometimes a bit farder),when the gun and the cursor match. If you go again farder, you see now that the offset is inner, to the right in the part left of the screen and to the left in the right part of the screen. EDIT: I don't see diferences between firmwares.

One think help to recalibrate. The calibration mode works with the mame crosshair. But it must be enabled.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:45:47 am by Cananas »

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 04:58:18 am »
The P1-P5 connectors are enabled in firmware version 1.1.

Just to clear up one issue, the module does fully correct for screen distance changes. Version 1.1 made a very small adjustment to a scale factor which improves this capability even further.
One thing to bear in mind when analyzing accuracy is that the gun "learns" some of the large distance changes, so that large and sudden changes in distance or tilt may not be corrected until the gun has been used for a few seconds in a real gaming situation. Some of the corrections are only applied when the gun is pointed off-screen as would happen in a real situation very often. This does not apply to changes which are required during normal X-Y motion, which are of course made immediately.
This "learning" was noticed by Romshark when he caught-out the gun after moving a large distance closer or further from the screen and before it had learned the new position.

Feel free to check and post findings here on the effects of distance changes etc but I would request you give it a fair crack by moving the gun for a couple of seconds including off-screen after changing distance from the screen by a large amount.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:04:42 am by AndyWarne »

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 05:10:39 am »
The software may be able to measure the length of the LED pattern to see if it gets smaller, but at those small variations in distance, it would take a very high resolution sensor to be able to do this well (or at all.) 

It does do that and the sensor is a very high resolution....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:15:33 am by AndyWarne »

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 05:22:03 am »
I will take a look at the P1-P5 connector issues. I did not really expect people to use these in the DIY mode as there is no connector fitted but no matter.

Don't know if it could be useful:

I have aux button mapped to GamePad (GP) Button1. If I go to control panel -> Joystick (or whatever it is), I see the device and can test that the GP Button1 works OK.

With this, if I enable with the software a P? button mapped to a GP Button (no matter if it is one or five), when I go to test again the GP button1 in Control Panel->blah, blah, (after unplug/replug the gun) if I press the Aux button, it shows OK, but the rest of buttons (only those associated to the P? buttons) are shown always like pressed.

The same happens in MAME. No matter to what is connected to those buttons (p1..P5). They are always ON when enabled.

EDIT: Fixed in firmware v1.1.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:50:42 am by Cananas »

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:56 am »
To make effective the changes in P1 to P5, you must press the Send button, AND you must unplug and plug again the gun. This is  something that Andy did not comment, but I think it could normal for joystick in windows.

Kinda hard to do when SEND is always gray. Andy is looking into it.

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 11:51:54 am »
Edited some previous info now that firmware 1.1 is out with some fixes.

Andy. Maybe a stupid question but, Is there any diference if the monitor is 16:10 or 4:3?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 11:53:36 am by Cananas »

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2009, 12:09:51 pm »
Edited some previous info now that firmware 1.1 is out with some fixes.

Andy. Maybe a stupid question but, Is there any diference if the monitor is 16:10 or 4:3?

There would be no difference as far as I can imagine but will test using a 24in widescreen.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:42:54 pm by AndyWarne »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »
...someone... please... a comprehensive review... perhaps even a photo-guide to what you did to modify the gun you're using complete with links to where you got the guns, etc...

:D
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 04:23:20 pm »
My camera takes terrible pictures, otherwise I would've documented my gun build. As for a comprehensive review, I'm still working out the kinks. Mine isn't in a very playable state yet.

romshark

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 01:13:22 am »
Just tried another "test."
Nebula Model 2 emulator + House of the Dead (if you have a current complete MAME set, you've already got this) + AimTrak = pure happiness. Just disable crosshairs in the .ini file, go full screen, and calibrate the gun with the in-game service menu.

I've played this game on Nebula a few times before using a mouse, but that had some problems. When the action got frantic, I sometimes accidentally clicked on one of the edges of the screen. This caused the desktop to come up and ruin my game (Nebula on full screen runs in a window, but the screen is somehow zoomed onto the window.)
Tried as I might, I couldn't purposely do this using the Aimtrak. I tried all 4 edges, even standing way back. Off-screen reloading also worked flawlessly (using trigger off-screen = right mouse button. Cannot be changed in this emulator.)
 :cheers:
All in all, one of my favorite games is now playable at-home, the way it was meant to be played. In fact, the gun is actually calibrated better than the arcade I used to go to (which charged a whole dollar per play. And sadly, that whole arcade is now gone.)

EDIT: 12/31/09 It is actually doing that edge problem again. Can be stopped by enabling Raw Mouse Input, but that causes other problems that I'm working on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:37:35 am by romshark »

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 05:39:30 am »
On the review thread Cananas asked whether it makes a difference if a widescreen monitor is being used.
This was a very good question actually,and the answer is yes it does!
So... the next firmware version will have a setting in the config utility: "Monitor Size".
The type of monitor makes a difference to the ability of the gun to deal with large screen-to-gun distance changes after calibration.

Quote from: Ginsu Victim on September 28, 2009, 03:40:31 PM
My biggest problem right now is the edges of the screen (this was yesterday, so no new software or firmware being used yet). For some reason, the pointer always reaches the edge of the screen before my aim does. I've tried changing up my calibration several times, but I can't quite get it right.

If it is consistently doing this then it could be overscan on the screen. Try aiming slightly outside the screen edge when calibrating.

Andy:

No matter what I check or uncheck helps. "Disable Trig Cal" is still active. When I f.ex. uncheck it and click "Send" it alters settings for "Disable Auto Gain" and "Tilt / Z Correction instead. (This is after closing and restarting the config program: Reading this data from AimTrak.)

I have posted a hotfix version which cures this problem: http://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.zip

I see no reason why any button presses should be reported to the system during calibration since this is done internally in the MCU only. What I mean is that the moment calibration is activated, no buttons is reported until calibration is finished.

I agree with Ginsu that it would be nice to choose what button (Trig, Aux, P1-5) to activate calibration with. Take an example with "Crayon Physics" where you draw objects by holding the trigger maybe longer than the available setting allow.

Above makes sense, I will implement this in next version

If you plan to save a text file with config data for command line programming, please include your planned "Monitor Size" in this config text. This is because by setting "Fixed Aspect Ratio" in GPU settings would actually make a widescreen function as a 4:3. Calibration data from the AimTrak must be able to be saved and reprogrammed for this to have any reason.

One last strange thing: If I am in a browser window or a text file when pointing the gun at the screen, it actually scrolls down. Could there be a fault Z axis reporting here ?

Yes, that was a very strange one. It appears to be a Windows bug. I have a workaround and it will be fixed in next firmware.

I Think it is good to be here, to follow the progress.

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 12:53:58 pm
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 10:17:56 am »
I am going to order the aimtrak but can anyone tell me the best way to go as far as an empty gun casing?

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 12:53:58 pm
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 10:01:53 am »
I just got my module in last night and am expecting my ps1 guncon in the mail today while I'm at work. Installed everything and messed around with it last night and was very impressed. check out my youtube vid of me playing pointblank and area 51.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 14, 2024, 07:33:43 am
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 04:21:24 pm »
sorry for bringing this review back from the dead...do I need to install the LED sensors regardless if I have an Aracade CGA monitor or not?  I know some of the other lightguns need a bar for the LCD and LED screens because they wont work with the original arcade monitors..just wanted to confirm before ordering.

thanks
Jason

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »
This product works exclusively with LED sensors. You must install them.

Although I have had some luck using the overhead lights in the room or a pair of candles for tracking  ::)

Seriously, though, you need the LED bar. The device contains a camera that 'sees' the LED's and calculates its position based on distance from the LED lights. Withouth the LED to track from, there would be no way for the device to triangulate its location.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »
got it thanks, and lastly (this may be frowned upon) but my friend wants to do a xxxx in 1 board and it looks like it has a bunch of shooters on there...do these work with one of those types of boards?

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 04:30:51 pm »
I'm not sure. But I can tell you that the AimTrak is essentially a 'mouse' device. So, if you can get the XXXX in 1 board works with a mouse, then, yes, you can use it.

JRoz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »
hmm yea would make sense..can anyone else comment on that?  I havent gotten my hands on a kit yet so havent tried, and don't want to suggest we put one in if its not going to work