Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball on Xbox360 - Williams Hall of Fame  (Read 12920 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Pinball on Xbox360 - Williams Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 10:23:31 pm »
The games are just too easy or too hard. For example, Black Night (a difficult game to master in real life) is ridiculously easy. Pinbot (easy in real life) is very hard.

I was thinking the same thing about BK.  Granted it has been 20+ years since I played BK but I don't recall playing it nearly as long on one credit as I can on Williams HOF (Wii version). 
The graphics are great but require a large HD display to read the actual playfield text.

Yeah I ended up picking up a component cable for my Wii just for this game.  I could not read the playfield at all.

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 08:15:41 am »
You think Black Knight is difficult in person?  Really?

???

Been 25+ years - you might be right. Maybe it's Flash Gorden I'm thinking of.  ::)
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

geocab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2012, 01:32:05 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 09:32:17 am »
Say what you will, I missed all of these tables in the arcade so I'm happy to be able to play them this way.  Have any of you picked up the Gottlieb Collection for the Wii?  I think it's released everywhere the 19th, but it's been available at Best Buy since December.  I don't have a Wii so no dice for me.  Hope they port it over to 360. 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 10:33:44 am »
Heard bad things about the Gottlieb collection. They are still using the crappy engine from the PS2/Gamecube version instead of the superior Williams engine. Videos I watched had a very slow and "floaty" ball.

For $20, though, I might just pick it up anyway. :lol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:36:27 am by Ginsu Victim »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 09:56:08 pm »
Say what you will, I missed all of these tables in the arcade so I'm happy to be able to play them this way.  Have any of you picked up the Gottlieb Collection for the Wii?  I think it's released everywhere the 19th, but it's been available at Best Buy since December.  I don't have a Wii so no dice for me.  Hope they port it over to 360. 

I noticed that as well and thought it was weird.  Amazon says it will be released on the 19th but Best Buy had it before Christmas. I'm going to pick it up as soon as I get bored with the Williams Collection.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2010, 12:49:25 am »
I'm going to pick it up as soon as I get bored with the Williams Collection.

If I followed that rule, I'd never pick it up. Impossible to get bored with the Williams Collection.

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2010, 10:35:28 am »
Having played The Gottlieb Collection on Xbox1 and PSP, it's really lacking.  The physics arn't quite right but most importantly the camera system isn't that hot.  It seems that Farsight perfected the camera for The Williams Collection however when re-releasing The Gottleib Collection they never retroactively improved the cameras or anything that made Williams superior.

I also find the table selection to be boring, but that's just personal taste.

geocab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2010, 11:00:47 am »
Well that's not encouraging to hear, that game is a few years old, you'd think they had plenty of time to touch it up, instead of just porting it the way it was.  If they ever think of doing it for 360/PS3, I'll have to wait for reviews I guess.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2010, 03:42:40 pm »
Since Gottlieb collection already existed for Gamecube, and Wii hardware is the same as Gamecube (if you don't consider the wireless, remotes and networking stuff) it sounds like they just did a straight port.
NO MORE!!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2010, 04:24:19 pm »
I'm going to pick it up as soon as I get bored with the Williams Collection.

If I followed that rule, I'd never pick it up. Impossible to get bored with the Williams Collection.

Can't argue with that so far.  It is quite the game.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2010, 05:48:42 pm »
Since Gottlieb collection already existed for Gamecube, and Wii hardware is the same as Gamecube (if you don't consider the wireless, remotes and networking stuff) it sounds like they just did a straight port.

Just more proof (not that we needed any) that the Wii is crammed full of shovelware.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »

The hardware is definitely NOT the same, and it's not a straight port. I interviewed the devs of the game at E3 while I sat there and played it. It's better on the Wii, just not the same jump the Williams collection got moving over to the 360 and PS3.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2010, 09:29:26 pm »
It's better on the Wii, just not the same jump the Williams collection got moving over to the 360 and PS3.

But it's not even as good as the Williams Collection on the Wii.

Jeff AMN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 25, 2017, 05:26:24 pm
    • Gamer Theory
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2010, 01:39:52 am »
It's better on the Wii, just not the same jump the Williams collection got moving over to the 360 and PS3.

But it's not even as good as the Williams Collection on the Wii.

The Williams Collection was given a significantly higher development budget by the publisher.
http://www.CoinOpShippers.com - The lowest rates on pinball and arcade shipping in the USA.
http://GamerTheory.com - Video Game News, Reviews, Editorials, and Contests
http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/ - The Pinball Podcast - Two Pinheads Talking Pinball

DJ_Izumi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 04:19:22 pm
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »
What I certianly hope is that this franchise continues.  While Zen Pinball, Pinball FX, Slamit Pinball have superior graphics, the gameplay in The Williams Collection is the best.  They didn't need help building the tables, they were able to pluck tried designs and just replicate them in 3D.  For other virtual pinball the original table designs just arn't from actual pinball engineers.  Sure, maybe that's 'cheating' as it means Farsight only had to lisence the designs and then replicate them but it's absolutely the most fun.

gaijinking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2015, 09:17:57 pm
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
Is anyone excited about this from the developer of PHOF:
http://www.pinballarcade.com/
They've got licenses for Stern, Bally, Gottlieb, and Williams tables.
And it's going to be released on every system out there (iOS first- sometime this month)- including a special PC version which may eventually include setup for multiple monitors for those with virtual pin cabinets!
 The first four tables released are Theatre of Magic, Tales of the Arabian Knights, Ripley's Believe It Or Not and Black Hole, with more releases planned as DLC each month.
And in an interview with the developer they've even hinted at releasing The Adams Family:
http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/the-pinball-arcade-interview
With updated graphics and revamped physics, this is going to be the best pin sim to date.
It even looks amazing on iphone 4:

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2012, 03:08:03 pm »
The auto-camera move on that makes me "see-sick".

And Ripleys?  Thats one of Sterns biggest Duds.

TOM and Tales are awesome however.

Id still love to see MS re-start their Pinball digitization efforts like their original package.
Real photographic captures... rather than poorly rendered renditions.

MameMaster!

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2020, 11:01:15 pm
  • Engage number one!
    • Mame Invaders!
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 01:19:56 pm »
I downloaded Pinball Arcade today-- IT'S SWEET!!  :applaud: :applaud:
Seriously. Will it fit in my basement or what?

g_block247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 03:46:56 pm
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 09:18:41 pm »
Dear God I hope we see some of the better tables hitting (Attack From Mars, Twilight Zone, Guns N Roses) but I know the last two would probably be a big stretch  :'(

geocab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »
I don't know how many of you are following The Pinball Arcade, but Farsight just released a new video of their next two DLC tables:  Medieval Madness and Bride of Pinbot.  The castle destruction is much improved over the Williams Collection version and the lighting looks better too.  I'm assuming the video is of the console versions.  I can't wait for the 360 version to come out, supposedly at the end of this month. 

www.youtube.com/embed/1m3lLjw0WGg

g_block247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 03:46:56 pm
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2012, 09:02:25 pm »
I really hope this takes off on 360 and PS3, I know I'll be supporting it, already have every table but one on Pinball FX2 on 360. The $3.00 price point per table or $10.00 for four tables is really easy to handle. As far as my favorite few real tables (especially GnR, TZ and Attack From Mars) I'd probably pay $5.00 a table easily, maybe more, depending on how good they actually are :)

rooter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm
    • ShaunRoot.net
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2012, 01:25:36 pm »
For completely legal, professionally produced tables, specifically made for multiple monitor pinball cabinets, I would easily pay $20 a table and pick up 5 or six of them to start and another every month or so after that.

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:22:39 pm
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »
I don't know.....just can't beat the look and feel of the real thing. 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2012, 10:50:04 pm »
It's too small on an iPhone, but pretty good on an ipad. It pisses me off that they try to trick you into purchasing a table. And $3.99 for one table is too much.
NO MORE!!

rooter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm
    • ShaunRoot.net
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:24 am »
Is anyone excited about this from the developer of PHOF:
http://www.pinballarcade.com/

With updated graphics and revamped physics, this is going to be the best pin sim to date.

I have high hopes for this getting into my cab for two reasons.  First, the game will be available on the Xbox 360.  Porting a game from Xbox 360 to PC is almost as easy as remapping the buttons.  Second, the games already play in vertical mode on the iPhone/iPad.  I would think the two things could come together without too much effort.  Maybe we should start a petition or something.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »
I sat down and played some Pinball FX 2 last night.  I've got real mixed feelings about the whole thing.  While the tables are fairly imaginative and there are a lot of neat graphics, I'm still not sold on the idea of a virtual pinball cabinet being anything more than a novelty.  As a replacement for an actual cabinet, it falls flat.  As a video game, it's boring.

:dunno

I like the way it feels, but some of the tables are overdone with character animations, etc. Excalibur and Nightmare Mansion are a couple that feel like they could actually exist. I liked Captain America for just outright playability.

I've been playing the iPad version of FX2 (Zen Pinball) along with Pinball Arcade, and even though you're playing in a much smaller format, rotating and being able to see the entire playfield without a weird angle really makes the games feel better.

Nephasth

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2012, 07:32:09 pm »
I like the way it feels, but some of the tables are overdone with character animations, etc. Excalibur and Nightmare Mansion are a couple that feel like they could actually exist. I liked Captain America for just outright playability.

I've been playing the iPad version of FX2 (Zen Pinball) along with Pinball Arcade, and even though you're playing in a much smaller format, rotating and being able to see the entire playfield without a weird angle really makes the games feel better.

What view do you play with on FX2? I play all the tables in view 6.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2012, 09:29:54 pm »
I play them using a couple different views depending on the table... I'm thinking 1 wide or 2 for most of them?
I'll check next time I play it. I usually just hit the button until it shows what I want without paying attention to the number.

I don't like when the camera follows the ball and scrolls portions of the playfield off the screen.