Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Very few games showing in Mala...I know..  (Read 1668 times)

NOkontrol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2009, 12:53:55 am
Very few games showing in Mala...I know..
« on: September 19, 2009, 03:39:39 pm »
 :banghead: :dizzy:
Total Noob but, I printed UncleT's mala How to and followed it through to the letter and have an issue I can't seem to resolve.
I've been looking high and low in the wiki and through old posts but can't seem to find a reason why only a small percentage of the roms I have in my "C:/Emulators/programs/mame/roms" folder are showing up in Mala...

I have mame v0.134 and mala v1.05.

I have no filters set, the rom config is set to show all roms in folder etc.

I deleted and re-created the mame.xml file to no avail. (unless there is more to it than clicking the button and saying yes to the "create .xml file" prompt.)
Some of the games show up on another PC with the same versions and mame.ini file. So I don't know wtf.

Is this a simple version issue? Will using an older version do the trick?
If so which older version(s) should I try?

Thanks for any help  :notworthy:

NOkontrol

• Offline Offline
Re: Very few games showing in Mala...I know..
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »
I ran the roms through Romcenter and fixed them. I can get them to play from there just fine but more than half of these games still aren't showing up in Mala.
If I have older Rom sets (that still work in command line mame) could that be the reason they aren't showing up in mala?
Man...i'm so close to moving forward on this but need to know how to make the mala recognize all the roms I have.
It has to be right in front of my face..

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:04:59 pm »
Have you refreshed your main game list?

NOkontrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »
Sooo many times... :cry:

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:19:03 pm »
What do have set as your rom options (see screenshot). Interested to know if you're creating a gamelist from only the roms you have available.  Also are all of your roms in one folder?  If they are in subfolders, choose search in subfolders, then refresh main game list.

I cannot help but think something may be wrong with your mame.xml file.  Try renaming your old mame.xml and then creating it and verifying that it is indeed newly created.  Then refresh the main game list.  Something really strange going on for you.  Any chance your main game list is set to read-only.  I have seen this if an existing configuration was copied from a CD.  This would prevent your main game list from being refreshed properly.

If all else fails, create a new folder and download and install a new version of Mala.  Something in your setup may be corrupted.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 10:25:34 pm by SGT »

NOkontrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:30:17 am »
NIIIIICE! Please accept this e-beer on me  :cheers:
I'm kind of an obsessive dude (like many here I'm sure) and this was making me nuts. Everything was working and I was having a great time learning and progressing but then I got hung up on this and it has been a real headache...
A simple ticked read-only box on the roms folder was silently bringing my progress to a halt.  :banghead:
So stoked..now I can finally move on to sorting games,getting some other emus configured and figuring out a layout...
I actually learned a lot of other stuff and found some new resources while trying to find an answer to this little issue so that's cool :laugh2:
Thanks so much for the reply!

NOkontrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:46:28 am »
Hmm, in retrospect (if it wasn't the read only box) is that I was closing the command line box that pops up in mala when you hit the create button for the mame.XML.
I left it alone before this last game list refresh, realizing that it might still be working on it... Duh. 
So yeah, if closing the dos window prematurely there is a problem then that might have been it.
Just thought I would mention it for the record.
Either way I'm off and running now. 

dungbeetle46

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2016, 07:27:47 pm
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 06:16:40 am »
closing the dos box would have done it

NOkontrol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »
Pretty sure that was it, too much coffee and getting tunnel vision will make you (me anyway) overlook some really simple things sometimes.
The read-only box was just gray checked and I think that's default and wouldn't affect the gamelist refresh...
Thanks again.