Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aliens Themed Cab  (Read 147596 times)

wilno45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2017, 06:22:42 am
Re: Aliens Themed Cab *All Lit up Pics and a Movie * Mar 27 2010
« Reply #440 on: March 29, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »
Aliens, one of my favourite films and now one of my favourite cabs.

+3 (or whatever we are up to) on the green coin rejects.

You can't not do it....

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #441 on: March 29, 2010, 05:28:50 pm »
Aliens, one of my favourite films and now one of my favourite cabs.

+3 (or whatever we are up to) on the green coin rejects.

You can't not do it....

Thanks and LOL...I GET IT!!!! jk ;)

Green inserts it is...best way to accomplish this is via the inserts that Javeryh linked...which means new coin door and panel. Will budget this as soon as I can. >:D
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #442 on: March 29, 2010, 05:49:45 pm »
Damn, I'm getting old, don't know my colors anymore.  Next think ya know i'm gonna think D comes after B.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_color_does_green_and_red_make

It makes poo, ok poo......... Gamester was right..........

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #443 on: March 29, 2010, 06:17:21 pm »
Damn, I'm getting old, don't know my colors anymore.  Next think ya know i'm gonna think D comes after B.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_color_does_green_and_red_make

It makes poo, ok poo......... Gamester was right..........

We're talking about light!  Light colour and paint colour do not mix the same!  Paint has pigments that interact....light has a colour spectrum that the eye interprets.
http://mvh.sr.unh.edu/mvhinvestigations/red_green.htm

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #444 on: March 29, 2010, 07:13:50 pm »
Ok then if thats the case, there is still a loop hole, in the link they are mixing 2 types of light.  He's facing shooting green light through a red pigmented object.  So we are mixing 2 theories.  Either way, poo theory or canary yellow thoery, both are UGLY and not what he wants to accomplish.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #445 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:10 pm »
Ok then if thats the case, there is still a loop hole, in the link they are mixing 2 types of light.  He's facing shooting green light through a red pigmented object.  So we are mixing 2 theories.  Either way, poo theory or canary yellow thoery, both are UGLY and not what he wants to accomplish.
Oh crap! You bring up a completely obvious fact.

Actually, we're both wrong. I completely dismissed the fact that this is an example of Colour by Light Transmission!
The outcome won't be brown, or yellow...it just won't light! With the object being transparent Red, the green light waves can't transmit through! They'll just get blocked by the Red object, and if I'm correct, the insert won't be visibly lit at all.

The lit up colour of a transparent object will depend on what light waves it allows to pass through it. If it's a red object only red light waves can transmit to the other side, which is why when you shine a white light through it (which contains all colours R, G, B) Green and Blue will be blocked, and the red will pass.

Man, high-school physics is all coming back to me now...

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #446 on: March 29, 2010, 10:07:07 pm »
Makes sense......

Bangarang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2010, 12:39:41 am
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:35 am »
I just had to join the others and post this just to say WOW! great job!
I had to call in my family when I first saw this thread a few months ago and show it to them, and then I emailed some friends to tell them about it.  

Epyx,
a few questions:
1. I was wondering if maybe one could skip the curved top (although the design is genius) and simply have a straight board for the top that is angled back to meet the back of the cab.  The extended sides and marquee assembly seem to hide the top quite a bit (at least it looks that way from the pictures).

2. Did you cut the side holes to the inside or outside diameter of the speaker ring? It seems from the thread that you cut the hole 15" (the size of the whole neon thingie?)  If that’s the case, is it possible to get more details on the "speaker ring sandwich" that you came up with?  I can't wrap my head around it.

3. Are all the leds and neon connected to your computer's power supply, or are you using an inverter of some kind, or a stand alone power supply?  (I really wish i could find a tutorial on how to hook up lighted buttons to your PC's power- cause that would save a few bucks if an inverter from radio shack is the only alternative.)

4. Did I miss what you are using for volume control?  This is something that I haven’t quite figured out yet, apart from purchasing a potentiometer and hacking a speaker system that is.

Many Thanks for all the inspiration!
-long time reader - first time poster
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:22:31 am by Bangarang »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #448 on: April 06, 2010, 11:39:14 am »
Hi Bangarang,

Thanks and welcome to BYOAC.  To answer your questions:

1) Yes, you could  just substitute the curved top with an angled straight board. That would be an easy substitution as you are right the sides and top of the marquee would hide it pretty easily...unless you are well over 180cm(6')! ;)

In fact, Nacimroc built a cab using similar curves and used a straight board to do his top: Nacimroc

2) I cut the holes on the sides using a circle jig I built.  The diameter is 15" which also happens to be the inside diameter of the neon speaker rings.  I did the cutting first, before I had ordered the rings but fortunately the 15" diameter worked out fine for the 15" rings (again inside diameter).

As for the speaker sandwich I didn't go into great detail on it because it was Knievel's technique that he used on his Neon MAME cabinet which I "borrowed" ;)

If you look up his Neon Mame on the Knievel Customs website he details the sandwich but I will repeat here as I pretty much used his formula with just minor modification. Knievel's Speaker Sandwhich

Basically you cut out a piece of plexi glass that covers the inside of the circle.  I used a 16" x 16" square cut of plexi glass.  You place this plexi behind the neon speaker ring.  The next layer is your artwork. The artwork is also 16" x 16". The 3rd layer is a piece of hardboard that I also cut 16" x 16". You then screw all the layers through the screw holes on the neon speaker ring into the inside of the cab.

The only thing I will be modifying is that I will be adding a small slit into the back of the hardboard to backlight the crevasse. I got lazy this past long weekend and only played..no building ;)

3) You could likely get by connecting all the wiring to one PC Power Supply. However, I am using an LCD strip in the marquee for lighting (it has a molex connector 12v) as well plus both coin inserts have red LED lights with molex connectors (12v).  Ill take some pictures but basically I also have the neon rings which are 12v and then the power requirements for the LEDWiz (5v).  To accomodate all these power requirements I added a 2nd power supply and shorted the green wire in position 4 to the black ground next to it. This allows you to power your power supply without being plugged into a mother board.

End result is that I have a dedicated power supply for all the cab's lighting and the main PC just handles the USB feeds and video/cpu.

I can create a small tutorial if it would help but it wasn't that hard to connect them to the Power supply. Use a terminal strip as it simplifies what you need to do...

For example both the LEDWiz and Neon Speaker rings have two wire requirements, power and ground.  On the Neon speaker rings the power and ground were a red and black cable respectively.  However, the red unlike the red on a PC power supply was 12v...the red on a pc PS is 5v and the yellow is 12v.  So I wanted to tap the red 12v of neon speaker ring into the yellow 12v of the PC PS.  Using a Terminal Strip I cut off a molex connector from one of the PC PS wires. Taped up the 5v and its ground and ran the 12v and its ground into the terminal strip.  On the other side of the terminal strip I connected the Neon Speaker ring wires (12v joining 12v and ground joining ground yellow pc to red neon and black to black).

For the LEDWiz I did the same thing only this time 5v to 5v (red to red and black to black)

4)  Again, for volume I borrowed liberally, this time from Martijn's excellent SF cab.  I used a 2.1 Logitech Z313 set.  I just extended the volume and headphone as he did (although I haven't mounted them permanently inside the buttons yet.  I didn't hack anything just extended what was already there as the volume dial fits in the button np as does the headphone jack. Martijn's SF Cab
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:41:40 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #449 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:11 pm »
I'd like to see some photos on that hack on the PS.......I need to dedicate a PS to all of my peripheral lighting/mods.  The ideas are still growing!!!!!!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #450 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »
I'd like to see some photos on that hack on the PS.......I need to dedicate a PS to all of my peripheral lighting/mods.  The ideas are still growing!!!!!!

No problem. I will post them tonight along with the terminal strip feeds etc.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #451 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:06 pm »
For those asking, here are a few pictures showing the PC Power Supply hack in a bit more detail.  As mentioned I have a 2nd PC power supply hacked to not require it to be plugged in to a motherboard (also great for using as a test PS btw).  The way to do this is as follows:

1) Find the green wire on your Power Supply Mobo connector cable.  It should be pin 4. Once you locate it you just need to short it to one of the black cables on either side. I used 18 guage solid non-stranded and just made a small U:

2) Then tape it up to prevent it from coming out. This is more for formality than function. If you are using 18 guage it won't easily slip out as the fit is tight...but for peace of mind... :)

3) For drawing power to various devices like the LEDWiz or the Neon speaker rings I use Euro style terminal strips (type you screw to tighten not spade connectors).  You can get these from Radio Shack/The Source (Canada).  Or anywhere in Europe ;)  

As mentioned the Neon speaker rings uses 12v. It carries those 12v through a red cable and ground through a black one. I connected those to the terminal strip and then ran the power supply 12v (yellow) and ground (black) into the other side of the terminal strip. You can cut these terminal blocks in between which I haven't done yet but will so its just the two hanging there.

If you were running to a 5v devices like some LEDs etc then you would just run the 5v on your LED to the strip and on the opposing side the PS's red 5v cable. Here is how mine looks 12v to 12v:

NOTE:  

Any damage you may cause to your equipment is not my responsibility. If you have a blonde moment and fry something, you have been warned!  :laugh:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:25:47 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Re: Aliens Themed Cab *PC PS Hack for those curious* April 6 2010
« Reply #452 on: April 06, 2010, 11:04:32 pm »
I always wondered what the trick was to get a PS to come on disconnected.

Very cool!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #453 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
Thanks Epyx,

Since PS wouldnt go onto a motherboard, why wouldn't you just the cut the green and black and solder or quick connect the two instead of doing the tape job.  Just to avoid the where the hell did all of my lighting go............Or better yet get two tap/splice plugs, tap one and then loop into the other tap.  Seems that would work the same and less likely to slip out.

On another note.....Sticks are on the way and I top mounted a happs trackball, and found a crystal clear ball to boot.  I'll post some pics later on...

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2010, 11:13:58 am »
You could cut the green and black but why bother?  The method I use is quickly reversible and believe me the tape is more for formality than function...the U loop is in very tight and you would have to tug on it to get it loose.  The 18 guage solid fits in tight like connecting a molex connector.

This way if it has to double as a replacement power supply I just pull out the U and it is good to go.  

Can't wait to see your sticks in action!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:15:57 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Bangarang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #455 on: April 07, 2010, 12:11:50 pm »
3) You could likely get by connecting all the wiring to one PC Power Supply. However, I am using an LCD strip in the marquee for lighting (it has a molex connector 12v) as well plus both coin inserts have red LED lights with molex connectors (12v).  

I posed the same question to the guy at Ultimarc (he is great at answering your questions!) and he also pointed out that "In the PC, disk drive power connectors contain these voltages. The red wire is 5 volts, yellow is 12 volts, black is ground." A connector can be bought from PC stores, as a floppy drive power adaptor, then cut off the other connector. I was thinking of using this idea, with your suggestion about modifying the "power on" by attaching green wire to ground on the motherboard plug.

But possibly, a separate power supply would be a bit simpler

4)  Again, for volume I borrowed liberally, this time from Martijn's excellent SF cab.  I used a 2.1 Logitech Z313 set.  I just extended the volume and headphone as he did (although I haven't mounted them permanently inside the buttons yet.  I didn't hack anything just extended what was already there as the volume dial fits in the button np as does the headphone jack. Martijn's SF Cab

I thought of hacking a PC speaker system too, the kind with a wired remote, but then I came across this Knob with everything set up to just plug in the computer speakers.  The downside is that there is no headphone jack, but for the price I like it.

It would be great if there was a software solution so that volume could be controlled with a shift/joystick.  There would have to be a way to load the program before the front-end software got started, but I guess you guys that have your own *.bat files on boot-up know all about that.

Many Thanks for answering my questions!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:25:57 pm by Bangarang »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #456 on: April 07, 2010, 12:30:05 pm »
I posed the same question to the guy at Ultimarc (he is great at answering your questions!) and he also pointed out that "In the PC, disk drive power connectors contain these voltages. The red wire is 5 volts, yellow is 12 volts, black is ground." A connector can be bought from PC stores, as a floppy drive power adaptor, then cut off the other connector. I was thinking of using this idea, with your suggestion about modifying the "power on" by attaching green wire to ground on the motherboard plug.

But possibly, a separate power supply would be a bit simpler

Oh agreed, I mean I could have used the existing connectors in the PC and just hacked those as I had all the  molex free but really wanted to be able to pull my PC out intact if/when required so the 2nd PS just made that process more straightforward.

I thought of hacking a PC speaker system too, the kind with a wired remote, but then I came across this Knob with everything set up to just plug in the computer speakers.  The downside is that there is no headphone jack, but for the price I like it.

Nice find!  Although I must admit I don't get how it works?

Headphone jack is easy as you can just extend the existing one with any male to female so not a big loss really...the volume knob is nice.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:33:30 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #457 on: April 07, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »
It would be great if there was a software solution so that volume could be controlled with a shift/joystick.anks for answering my questions!

I hope I am not stating the obvious b/c I failed to read something...

In my latest cab, I control volume via Xpadder (for my GP-Wiz) programmed such that when I hold down the "pause" button, I can turn volume down by tapping P1 and up by tapping P2.

Works on Gameex and MAME. Another combo bring ups the MAME in game config.
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #458 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »
Ya the software exists..ive personally used Cabvol etc as Gryhnd has suggested. However, nothing beats an analogue dial for volume...the software while workable has its own share of "side effects" ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Bangarang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #459 on: April 07, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
Headphone jack is easy as you can just extend the existing one with any male to female so not a big loss really...the volume knob is nice.

Epyx This is neat! What a great solution.
As long as having that extension cable plugged in to the speaker's headphone jack doesn't mute the speakers until actual headphones are plugged in. I guess then, using the volume knob mentioned earlier, all one would need is simple speakers with headphone option.  
There is even a panel mount extension cable available here.

I found a cheaper one somewhere, but I can't find the link right now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 10:19:06 pm by Bangarang »

Bangarang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #460 on: April 19, 2010, 03:55:24 pm »

Epyx This is neat! What a great solution.
As long as having that extension cable plugged in to the speaker's headphone jack doesn't mute the speakers until actual headphones are plugged in. I guess then, using the volume knob mentioned earlier, all one would need is simple speakers with headphone option.  
There is even a panel mount extension cable available here.

I found a cheaper one somewhere, but I can't find the link right now.

Nope.:angry:
Won't work. Cable arrived today and I quickly tested the idea.   Turns out the speakers are disabled when something is plugged into the headphone port.  Even if it is only an extension cable with no headphones plugged in the other end.  That's too bad. It would have been a simple solution.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #461 on: April 19, 2010, 04:26:31 pm »
I use an extension just like that. I wouldn't know how to do it in windows, but in my linux distro I can choose to un-mute the main speakers when the lead is plugged in, so the speakers and headphone jack work independently from each other. I'm guessing there must be a way of doing that in Windows too? (I am assuming you are using windows?)
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Bangarang

• Offline Offline
« Reply #462 on: April 19, 2010, 09:54:41 pm »
yup, Windows XP.
However, I DO want the main speakers muted when the headphones are inserted.  Just not when the extension cable is and empty.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #463 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:36 am »
I should have clarified...I have two sound cards (Creative and Onboard). I connect my speakers to one and my headphone jack is on the other. I then change over to the other when I want headphones and no speakers (IE Wife is on her exercise bike!).

I am sure you could modify them however but hasn't been a big issue for me.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #464 on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »
I have had a few people PM me for measurements. I finally got around to taking the measurements as the original cab was built with only overall height and width as a known variable and the rest was just improvised from Ond's render.

Some misc facts about the measurements before I list all them.

- The curved roof and back can't really be measured, just follow the curve at the top and around back by 1/4". That is what I did.
- The Marquee actual size is 26.5" x 8.5". The Measurements shown are from top of top retainer to bottom of bottom retainer.
- Bezel is 26.5" and 25" top to bottom but runs flush behind speaker shelf at the top and CP at the bottom.
- Bezel glass is 26.5" x 22.5" and rests just below CP out of sight and rests flush with speaker shelf at top.
- Cab is 71 7/8" from ground including the wheels...the wheels take up 1 1/8" of that height so actual cab height without wheels is 70 6/8"
- Top of CP with wheels on cab is at ~40" from the ground. This works out fine for me and my friends...your results may vary ;)

Here are the measurements:

Front:

CP/Bezel:

Top Side:

Bottom Side:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:12:46 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

rablack97

• Offline Offline
Re: Aliens Themed Cab *Measurements/Plans for those who PM'd* May 20 2010
« Reply #465 on: May 20, 2010, 11:22:42 pm »
Don't care about the measurements, I just like the photos of the beast itself........Hats off to ya again man, awesome job, love your machine........ :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Oh yeah I meant to ask you, are you having an issue with the ball top un screwing while playing on the lit j-stiks?  If so what did you do to fix it, or are you just tightening as you go.....I'm worried about the stick becoming so twisted it severs those fragile wires to the led....

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #466 on: May 20, 2010, 11:37:59 pm »
Oh yeah I meant to ask you, are you having an issue with the ball top un screwing while playing on the lit j-stiks?  If so what did you do to fix it, or are you just tightening as you go.....I'm worried about the stick becoming so twisted it severs those fragile wires to the led....

No, haven't had an issue at all and my cab gets a *lot* of playtime...I can screw them off but they don't come off during play.  I hand tightened them and gave it a bit of an extra tighten beyond that and haven't had an issue since.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #467 on: May 21, 2010, 12:04:29 am »
ok i will try that.

Had to tear mine apart to do some rewiring.  Installed a monster video card that didn't that baiscally spit at my power supply and cussed it for being so weak.  So I have to rewire the whole thing with a new one.... :cry:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #468 on: May 21, 2010, 06:17:08 am »
Another example of the spirit of this community. Many people would be 'precious' about freely sharing their work with others. Hats off to you Epyx and those like you (Lokesen, Chicken McNobody, LuSid etc etc) who help this community to build grow and improve  :applaud:
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #469 on: May 21, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »
ok i will try that.

Had to tear mine apart to do some rewiring.  Installed a monster video card that didn't that baiscally spit at my power supply and cussed it for being so weak.  So I have to rewire the whole thing with a new one....

Ya that was one of the reasons I went with 2 power supplies...one for my pc and one for all the lighting and modding in the cab. You could try a spot of glue? That should prevent it from unthreading during play but still allow you to force it off if need be.  Gl :)

Another example of the spirit of this community. Many people would be 'precious' about freely sharing their work with others. Hats off to you Epyx and those like you (Lokesen, Chicken McNobody, LuSid etc etc) who help this community to build grow and improve

I have gotten so much from so many on these boards...besides they are only measurements, not like somebody couldn't just eyeball it and get it right...this just saves them some brute force and grief!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:04:04 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #470 on: May 23, 2010, 01:27:24 pm »
I hadn't seen this thread... I've been far too busy with work and life to even think about this hobby in a while, but I just wanted to say wow, I'm impressed.  GREAT job!.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #471 on: May 23, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
I hadn't seen this thread... I've been far too busy with work and life to even think about this hobby in a while, but I just wanted to say wow, I'm impressed.  GREAT job!.

Thanks nipsmg! I hear ya...thankfully a long weekend here in Canada and I have a nice lazy day today to game. Just spent about 3 hours on the cab playing a wide range of games.  :cheers:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

mingaling

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2010, 11:23:15 am
« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2010, 07:05:35 pm »
One of my favorite cabs and I have spent a lot of time looking for ones that stand out.  GREAT JOB!! :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #473 on: June 10, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »
I have had a few people PM me for measurements. I finally got around to taking the measurements as the original cab was built with only overall height and width as a known variable and the rest was just improvised from Ond's render.

Some misc facts about the measurements before I list all them.

- The curved roof and back can't really be measured, just follow the curve at the top and around back by 1/4". That is what I did.
- The Marquee actual size is 26.5" x 8.5". The Measurements shown are from top of top retainer to bottom of bottom retainer.
- Bezel is 26.5" and 25" top to bottom but runs flush behind speaker shelf at the top and CP at the bottom.
- Bezel glass is 26.5" x 22.5" and rests just below CP out of sight and rests flush with speaker shelf at top.
- Cab is 71 7/8" from ground including the wheels...the wheels take up 1 1/8" of that height so actual cab height without wheels is 70 6/8"
- Top of CP with wheels on cab is at ~40" from the ground. This works out fine for me and my friends...your results may vary ;)

Excellent! Now I can build that "Wasteland" cab! Mwahahaha!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #474 on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:20 pm »

Lol...but in all seriousness go for it.  I won't be building it...going for something *different* for my dedicated vertical cab. I have a 2nd 27" WG D9800 and want to use it in a dedicated vertical but go for an alternate design this time.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #475 on: June 10, 2010, 10:31:52 pm »

Lol...but in all seriousness go for it.  I won't be building it...going for something *different* for my dedicated vertical cab. I have a 2nd 27" WG D9800 and want to use it in a dedicated vertical but go for an alternate design this time.

Ha, nah. As much as I liked the concept of that cab, I wouldn't build it. Plus I have other things up my sleeve.... like...  :censored:.

:cheers:

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »
Gorgeous cab...I love the neon green and plan on using that color for my cab.  Love it, very nice!

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #477 on: August 25, 2010, 01:37:07 pm »
Damn. Non of the pictures load for me. I dont know if its cause Im at work or what.  :hissy:
Pictures are overrated anyway.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »
Thanks EvilNuff!

As for the pics...they are all Photobucket so your work may have that blocked. :(
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #479 on: August 25, 2010, 05:39:32 pm »
yup thats probably why...  :'(