Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aliens Themed Cab  (Read 147197 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
How's the thickness of that Laminate?  Is there a chance of bubbling at all, or is it thick enough to not bubble?
Is it Formica?
I know you  can get sheets of Formica at Home Depot for like $60 CAD.

I've worked with Formica before and loved the results. It's pretty darn think, and practically impervious to bubbling at all. Same method of application, contact cement both surfaces, wait for it to dry, then apply and trim with your router.  But Formica is a bit harder to bend over curves in it's raw state, you could heat it up to get that bend.

Your cab is turning out really well, keep up the goodness! Can't wait to see it finished!  :cheers:

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
The Laminate is indeed the Formica product from Home Depot $60 CAD but sadly now discontinued at Canadian Home Depot stores (Flat/Mat black).  I bought 3 sheets from one of the last stores here in Vancouver to carry it.  It is 1/16" in thickness and required absolutely no heating to bend it...really it just rolled on and joined with the glue.  It is thick enough (as you know) that I really don't think bubbling will be an issue, this stuff is flexible but really hard.

You can see a page or two back in this thread how easy the formica is to bend as I used a scrap piece to draw the curves for the template on the sides.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:48:00 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Offline Offline
You can see a page or two back in this thread how easy the formica is to bend as I used a scrap piece to draw the curves for the template on the sides.

Good choice!

Yeah, from the looks of your cab the curve isn't too extreme to bend around. I know that Formica will crack if it's bent too much, but that goes without saying really.  I really like the finish and convenience of Formica, it's just too bad there aren't many colour choices in our local stores.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Ya agreed, I would love to have had that fern green I will end up having to paint in Formica but no such luck :)

And yes that bend isn't too bad and it really will be the most extreme bend...the one along the back is much  more gradual and the edge curves are just trimming the formica.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:50:20 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Silas (son of Silas)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Post forming grade Formica goes round bends pretty well if you take your time. It can do really tight bends for the edges of kitchen worktops after all.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Exactly. This will be my first cab in almost full laminate. To date only my CPs have used laminate.  I will hold off on laminate the sides as long as possible as I would hate to scratch them while work is still underway but I guess the balance is the more assembled the more difficult the task...although Martijn made tipping a cab over for lamination not look too difficult! ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
I seem to have missed this build somehow but its looking fantastic. :applaud:

I love the profile and the green goodness will look really nice :)

opt2not

• Offline Offline
You know, I was staring at your design (which I like very much) thinking "I wonder if putting a bowfront marquee on it would be cool?". I saw it in Pixelhugger's Mission Control Project. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=13118.0
Awesome project, and it's a pretty long thread. Check out his bowfront process.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Oh ya, ive been following his project for years and love that marquee design. At this point I will likely leave it as is. I have enough challenges on my plate with the current design and I want to get it done sometime this year ;)

Im so tempted to give in to scope creep but thats what the next cab is for!  :laugh2:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Only had Sunday to work on the cab this weekend. It took me about 5 hours to do the laminating for just 1 side lol.  I have 3 sheets of laminate for figured id use 1 for each side and the leftovers for the inside and 3rd sheet for back and spare for future CPs.

Brushed Lepage contact cement onto both sides and separated with sticks to line them up as close as possible:

Here is the outside of side 1 fully laminated before and after side hole was trimmed:

I then laminated the inside which you can see is a patchwork of odds and ends. I put as much towards the center as I could because I will be mounting strips and don't want parts of the strip on laminate and part off:

And here is the outside of side 1 with Galaxian green T Molding along outter slot and inside side hole:

Have to study this week for a course but will finish side 2 next weekend.

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Offline Offline
The black formica is lookin' really nice with that Galaxian green. Good job!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Nice! It's really coming together! I can't wait to see that neon light shining out of that side hole!  :applaud:

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
You're making me wish I'd done laminate on mine...   

Nice work Epyx!  :cheers:
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Aye, the laminate was worth it. I just wish there was another cheap source here locally for future projects. Oh well, ill just pay a bit more I guess.  I do like the contrast of the black and neon green. And agreed, should look great once it's all lit up with lighting ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
I'm totally tempted to use Formica when I get around to designing my trackball unit. But it may be awhile before I get to that project now, what with Holidays coming up soon... That laminate looks so pro, I almost wish I used that for my black areas on SHMUP.

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
Ooooh, laminate! Looks lovely. I wish I could source that stuff easily in the UK. Liking the colour scheme as well.  :cheers:
Click a pic for a video tour 

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Ah so you did the more effecient approach and pieced parts together fo the inside laminate... I figured I'd botch it so I laminated the entire inside.. wasting 2 more sheets of laminate.  Oh well live and learn. :D  It's looking REALLY nice btw!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
Ooooh, laminate! Looks lovely. I wish I could source that stuff easily in the UK. Liking the colour scheme as well.  :cheers:

Wish granted  ;)

Blackheath Products in Halesowen: http://www.blackheathproducts.co.uk/sheets/index.html

Arnold Laver nationwide: http://www.laver.co.uk/location.asp
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
Thank you very much Silas. I'll check them out!
Click a pic for a video tour 

saleem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2012, 08:03:39 am
i hate sites that dont advertise prices with delivery also.happ are realy bad for ringing here in uk,twice i been on phone and i am suprised they dont shut shop soon,they talk give prices,say they will ring back and naff all else.

theres an arnold laver timber world down the rd from me,i seriously doubt they stock laminate and chances are you have to order it direct from phone,like bulk.
:)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
I was just thinking. Would it be possible in your design to add a row of LEDs under the CP area to lit the front coin door panel with  a bit of green light?

Something like this on the right.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
I was just thinking. Would it be possible in your design to add a row of LEDs under the CP area to lit the front coin door panel with  a bit of green light?

I will have a green cathode along the top of the bezel/speaker area but hadn't thought of having one down there. I kind of like that...I haven't built that section yet so will try to work something in ;) thx
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard

I will have a green cathode along the top of the bezel/speaker area but hadn't thought of having one down there. I kind of like that...I haven't built that section yet so will try to work something in ;) thx

Anytime.  :cheers:

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
This thing is smoking hot!  The progress is great, keep it up. . .

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
I really like that downlight idea of Ryglore's. Very cool. You might need a diffuser of some sort if you go led's though

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
@Chicken

Thanks, believe me I can't wait till it's done!

@drventure

I really like that downlight idea of Ryglore's. Very cool. You might need a diffuser of some sort if you go led's though

Agreed, although I think a green cold cathode would suit this best.  Having thought of this the last hour or so at work (I know...) I think a small u shaped recess at the bottom of the curve would work best and that way I can slot a G. C cathode in there and drill a hole for the cabling out of sight.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:06:48 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
Is your control panel going to overhang the cab?  If so you can mount the lights on the bottom of the control panel overhang if you know what i mean. That way it can be built into the control panel so power is easily accesible and it won't be seen that way. I tried this exact thing last night on my build and it looked crap unless it was under the CP.

I'm in the middle of my (identical) build and going with the blue cold cathode tube as they are already diffused. LED's would be too focused IMO.

On a diff point, have you noticed that the pointed bit at the bottom of the cab is too delicate ? I've cracked mine once already and was debating rounding it off instead ?

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Good point about the cold cathode. i've never worked with them, so I can't comment.

Cool idea in any case. I may have to steal pay tribute to it  :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Cool idea in any case. I may have to steal pay tribute to it  

Lol.

The Cold Cathodes are really cheap...a pair like in the picture below run about $10 and they come in various colours.  Here is what the green cold cathode I will be using looks like lit if you are curious:

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
@Nacimroc

Is your control panel going to overhang the cab?  If so you can mount the lights on the bottom of the control panel overhang if you know what i mean. That way it can be built into the control panel so power is easily accesible and it won't be seen that way. I tried this exact thing last night on my build and it looked crap unless it was under the CP.

I'm in the middle of my (identical) build and going with the blue cold cathode tube as they are already diffused. LED's would be too focused IMO.

On a diff point, have you noticed that the pointed bit at the bottom of the cab is too delicate ? I've cracked mine once already and was debating rounding it off instead ?

The CP will look much like it does in the render although that has definite possibilities as well.  Have you got a thread going yet? Would love to see your take on the cab.  As for the bottom pointed bit...no mine is pretty solid.  I have been extremely careful with the points on the cab.

Although, that is one reason I laminated it right away and put the T Molding on...if it was delicate before it's not now ;)  With laminate and T Molding it weights more than 3/4" MDF.  Ill show you a close up pic of the bottom corner next post you can judge if it looked like yours.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:53:05 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Here are the 3 corners of the cab in closer detail for those who have been curious.

Here are two angles of the CP Corner. In the first picture a side shot of the CP corner where T mold/cut and laminate meet. In the 2nd picture you can see the beauty of using 5/8" MDF is that once the glue is added to the Laminate you get a perfect end to end flush with T Molding applied:

Here is the top corner of the cab:

And finally the bottom corner. Again two views:

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
Wow thats a neat job! Thats half the reason I didn't make a thread, you would always make me look bad  :applaud:. I am planning on making a thread when done showing all my pitfalls (and theres alot so far). I only have mine assembled. Laminating is next step.

On the cold cathode tubes, if you do go with the under CP idea, I put a small sliver of shiny sheet metal along it on the front edge reflecting the light down and it made it alot brighter.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:40:02 am by Nacimroc »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Cool idea in any case. I may have to steal pay tribute to it  

Lol.

The Cold Cathodes are really cheap...a pair like in the picture below run about $10 and they come in various colours.  Here is what the green cold cathode I will be using looks like lit if you are curious:

Ya those would work excellent for the under CP idea. I basically mentioned LEDs since they seem to be "standard" PC lighting due to their low power consumption.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"

Ya those would work excellent for the under CP idea. I basically mentioned LEDs since they seem to be "standard" PC lighting due to their low power consumption.

Oh exactly, and for buttons etc LEDs are the way to go. I just love the diffused lighting of the Cathodes for exterior lighting, everything is basked in a shade of green.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Offline Offline
Lookin' good Epyx, love that 5/8 + laminate t-molding job. Though it looks like you can cut a bit more out of the t-molding teeth around that top corner, it looks like it's separating from the slot there.
 :cheers: :applaud:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Though it looks like you can cut a bit more out of the t-molding teeth around that top corner, it looks like it's separating from the slot there

Hehe ya I  noticed that to.  Ill see if I can just push it in at that spot. Either way I have 20' of extra T Molding just in case ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Though it looks like you can cut a bit more out of the t-molding teeth around that top corner, it looks like it's separating from the slot there

Hehe ya I  noticed that to.  Ill see if I can just push it in at that spot. Either way I have 20' of extra T Molding just in case ;)

Did you make a 'V' notch in the molding on those corners?  I hear it makes those tight turns a lot better that way.

Your project is looking excellent thus far!  So, since you're stealing the monitor out of your other cab, what will become of that one (the old cab)?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:46:48 pm by Gamester »
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
So, since you're stealing the monitor out of your other cab, what will become of that one?

He's going to :censored: beat the  :censored: out of the thing with a  :censored: sledgehammer. All the while cackling like a madman and  :censored: yelling  :censored:  :censored:  :censored: and  :censored:. As well as the 7 words you can't  :censored: say on  :censored: television.  :lol

Gamester

• Offline Offline
So, since you're stealing the monitor out of your other cab, what will become of that one?

He's going to :censored: beat the  :censored: out of the thing with a  :censored: sledgehammer. All the while cackling like a madman and  :censored: yelling  :censored:  :censored:  :censored: and  :censored:. As well as the 7 words you can't  :censored: say on  :censored: television.  :lol

Sounds fun!   :cheers:  Surely the old cab isn't that bad though? 

EDIT: I went and found it...  Blue Lightning looks pretty nice to me...  (assuming that's the cab he's stealing the monitor from)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 01:57:33 pm by Gamester »

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Sounds fun!     Surely the old cab isn't that bad though?

ROFL...Ryglore is right...its going to have a hammer taken to it...and as far as it not looking too bad...have a look at the link in my signature...its puts the T into Terribad :(

It has no future simply because it cannot be moved from the room its in to what would have been its home in the room  next to it (theater/gaming room).

The Trackball will be salvaged and lit up with Randy's kit...the P1/P2 buttons/spinner, salvaged...joysticks will be spared for future projects (bartops etc), IPAC2 salvaged. Computer and coin door migrated and then everything else is pretty much sloppy MDF and screws ;)

Then its just a matter of:

He's going to  :censored: beat the :censored:  out of the thing with a  :censored: sledgehammer. All the while cackling like a madman and :censored:  yelling :censored:     and :censored: . As well as the 7 words you can't :censored:  say on :censored:  television.  

;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 02:01:09 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials