Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aliens Themed Cab  (Read 147207 times)

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Aliens Neon Curvy Upright Horizontal Project *Mmmm tasty ribs* Sep 29
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2009, 08:20:07 am »
Awesome! This is going to be one amazing cab.  :cheers:

Gamester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »
Looking awesome so far Epyx!
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »

Loving the curves.   :cheers:

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2009, 12:25:10 pm »
Love the theme and design.  This is going to be an awesome cab!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2009, 01:13:34 pm »
Thanks guys. I like the theme and design as well. Its a heck of a lot of fun taking a concept from paper to render and then trying to build it.  The one thing I really appreciate on this project is "taking my time" though...first cab was all about "I want to play NOW" and I took a lot of shortcuts...I look at the cabinet now and all I see are mistakes upon mistakes.  For example, its 33 1/2" wide...no t-molding, no smoothed angles, lousy CP mounting, lousy bezel, lousy art, lousy woodworking...ok ill stop now ;)  Cab 2 was better but this one will be something im proud of.

Im the type of person if I notice a dead pixel on an lcd tv etc I won't stop staring at it...Ill watch the whole movie focused on that one damn pixel.  I encourage anyone with a monstrosity of a 1st cab like mine to have a go at that 2nd cab and maybe surprise yourself ;)

Im not saying I won't make mistakes but taking your time and not feeling personal pressure sure helps in doing things better. Now when im jonesing to play I just play on one of the first 2 cabs, knowing it will be worth it when this one is done right.

Also, I don't encourage smashing a cabinet to oblivion...but when it is one you build yourself...go crazy. In fact I will post pictures of me taking the sledghammer to cab 1 when this new one is operational!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 01:16:27 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »
I think we've all been there. But one has to start somewhere and we'll I guess we can all look back at our first cabs and wonder, why the hell didn't I do that the right way. I didn't have the heart to smash my first cab to pieces. Actually I never put it back together when we moved, so it's sitting in the garage. 
It had two PS2 street fighter arcade sticks (then upgraded to 2-player x-arcade stick), artwork was those character posters from gamestop (you know DK, samus, link).

I didn't find this forum until we moved and well I want to thank everyone for their posts and helpful info. I wouldn't have been able to build one from scratch.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see the finish product.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:05:21 pm by jmike »

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:34 pm »
I really like the neon green and black color scheme, and the marquee is awesome too!
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 06:09:12 pm »
Thanks. I will have some more pictures soon. I had quite the (mis)adventures with the curved plywood but finally have things looking good. Although I won't be removing clamps until I am certain this time! ;)

Ya, the colour scheme is one I really like as well even though I wouldn't say that green has ever been a favourite colour of mine.  The Galaxian green T-Molding arrived a few days ago and looks bang on with the render, can't wait to see it applied. I should have a mammoth update next weekend which is a long weekend for us Canucks...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Nacimroc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2015, 03:46:25 pm
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »
Been following this closely and just wanted to say nice job so far! Im kicking off my first cab tomorrow and had the exact same design (Blatently plagerised mine from martijn and now yours). I reckon its by far the nicest shape for an upright!

Its ideal that you are a few weeks ahead so i can see any problems you run into :lol.

One quick thing. On the drawing it shows a board along the bottom at the front with t-molding on. Although it looks better would it not be liable to break with people standing on it when playing and damaging molding etc ?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:05 pm »
Been following this closely and just wanted to say nice job so far! Im kicking off my first cab tomorrow and had the exact same design

Lol nice. Ya this is inspired by Martijn's (itself based on the Galaxy design) for sure but has enough differences to be unique I think (back is entirely curved as is bottom front.  The side also borrows from Knievel for the neon hole.

As for the bottom board, mine will be resting on top of pine strips. So underneath about 2" back will be a pine strip running from one side of the cab to the other.  So I suppose it *could* be broken, someone would really have to make an effort to do so, making it pretty unlikely.  No different imo than someone breaking a monitor bezel...you could, but why would you.  Nor do I think you would accidentally step on it with how its located.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:34:33 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »
next weekend which is a long weekend for us Canucks...

And it can't arrive soon enough for me....zzzzzzz..... ::)

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2009, 11:07:01 am »
i just hope when they kick the edge when they got excited at the end of a match it wont break.

maybe choose a harder wood for the bottom plate? mdf will crumble

or when they step on it  :timebomb:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2009, 12:09:16 pm »
Ya, I will tackle this stage of the build on Saturday. I will test the original length but if I feel it will interfere and *could* get stepped on then the other option will simply be to shorten the length a bit so it only protrudes out 1/2 of what it currently shows. I figure a bit of black showing and the green t-molding will still look great. That way you could step forward into that space without worry.

That might just be the key, getting it to a nub sticking out that a foot can't rest on but still providing the desired colour highlights.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2009, 05:59:13 pm »
Figured you'd check the Final Fantasy Bartop post, but linky linky

Posted a trackball suggestion for this cab on that thread.  ;)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 07:19:07 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:05 am »
Ya just responded to that hehe. As it stands now this is my wishlist to date:

- J-Sticks with red balltop x 2 from Ultimarc (Purchased today)
- Modded via Luigi's hollow shaft, green led and my neon green balltops (When in stock)
- RGB Trackball lighting upgrade (green) for my BE Clone trackball (later purchase)
- Novagems x 12 (later purchase)

Nice, I can't wait to see those balltops lit up. It's going to totally set off the whole "sci-fi" theme I think. I'm totally excited to see this CP completed... It's going to be ridiculous.  :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 11:05:07 am »
Ya, can't wait to see it either.

Lot's done this past weekend but no pictures taken until this upcoming weekend.  I will try my best to document what I have done. I had to redo the arches for the curved top in pine as opposed to MDF.  It was difficult to set the glue without screws (which kept splitting the MDF, I should have foreseen this). So I switched over the weekend to pine so I can screw through into the pine plus set with glue which worked much, much better. The top is all done and laminated and the goal on Saturday is to join the sides to base and top, which is exciting.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:13:23 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 02:07:59 pm »
I'm interested to see detailing on the lamination. My cab has a curved top as well and I'm trying to decide between laminating bendable poplar with cherry veneer or using thin cherry plywood. Was the laminating a pain? Did you have to use a vacuum?
Project mega thread HERE

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 03:23:50 pm »
I'm interested to see detailing on the lamination. My cab has a curved top as well and I'm trying to decide between laminating bendable poplar with cherry veneer or using thin cherry plywood. Was the laminating a pain? Did you have to use a vacuum?

I will have this posted asap with pictures.  I detailed it fairly well and took lots of pics. I used 1/4" plywood (birch) as mentioned which kept a very smooth surface on the outside, which I think was key.  There were a few minor indentations along the grain which I just filled and sanded smooth.  The laminate then applied pretty as long as you wait until both sides have dried fairly well before pressing them together. Then just trimmed with router trim bit running along the 1/4" border with bottom bearing bit as the ribs prevented routing from the underside with top bearing bit.

An no, no vacuum.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 04:14:05 pm »
PICTURES!  :)
Project mega thread HERE

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2009, 04:52:34 pm »
Ya, ya...im always the one muttering...pictures or it didn't happen.   

BTW...speaking of updates...*COUGH* ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »
I'm totally tempted to do laminate when I get around to my Trackball project. Can't wait to see how the top turned out. PICS PICS PICS!  :P

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »
Ill split the pics into two updates, finishing tomorrow with last weekends progress pics/descriptions if time permits.  

I was originally going to go with 12" side holes but they looked really small traced onto the side of the cab. I figured stability wasn't going to be an issue and since I designed my circle jig to do up to 15" circles, I'd go for 15".   Used the jig on the first side and then a flush trim bit for the 2nd side.  The circle jig was so effortless I encourage anyone/everyone who doesn't have one to take the time (couple hours at most) to make one.  Here is a shot of one of the entire sides:

And a bit closer

I cut a slot into the center of the hole as I will be running the T-Molding around the hole like I have seen on a few other cabs. I think it will look pretty good when done with the green neon light and artwork and T Molding as a trim:

Here is a shot of the where the top and front meet.  I can't wait to see the T-Molding on here:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:16:42 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Next I worked on the ribs of the top of the cab and the curved plywood that would rest on top.  My first go at this was pretty disastrous...I had tried gluing the MDF ribs to the plywood but just couldn't get it to set properly and figured I would need some screws as well to assist the clamps due to the bending momentum of the plywood.  Well as soon as I thought that my 2nd thought was...DOH...screws will just split the MDF...sure enough the first few split it.

Back to the drawing board and Saturday I decided to use hardwood (pine) instead of MDF for the ribs, this time opting for 3 ribs and enough space on each end for one rib which will be glued to the inner cab sides and fit on like a hat then screw in to connect the two. Here is how it looked turtled on its back:

Here is a shot showing the front of the top with one of the threaded inserts that the top marquee retainer will screw into, ill show this in more detail in tomorrow's pics:

And here is a back view of the top before lamination:

And a closeup of the screws. You can see in this shot they are all countersunk which ensured no contact with the laminate:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:13:16 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
And finally just a quick shot of the T-molding (Galaxian Green). Also in the picture are two of the balltops. I will be getting another pair with leds and hollow shafts for the JLWs which DHL tracking says will be delivered tomorrow.  Also in the bottom picture is the colour I will be using for the bottom front of the cabinet, called Fern Green:

The T Molding looks a lot more Neon Green than the picture shows. Almost identical to the render in real life.

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
 :cheers: . really I think that's all that needs to be said that the moment.  :)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Thanks, but I gotta thank you again for pointing out those balltops to me...Thorsten has these sames ones with LED and they look so good:

http://www.thludwig.de/arcade/led_sticks.html
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Those ball tops are pretty sick. If I was going with ball top joysticks I'd totally get some of the blue ones.

syph007

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Ah thats so cool man.  It looks really fun to figure out how to build the curved shapes.  I'm for sure going non traditional for my 2nd and still laminate.  I like your cab profile alot.

I actually sunk my screws like you did as well, but I wood filled them and sanded flush.. in retrospect I guess I really didn't need to.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:58:28 am by syph007 »

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
I don't have much to contribute other than my praise.  There has been a nice departure from the "traditional" style of arcades here lately, and each one is so enjoyable to see in the works.  You got a great start, and are not letting speed bumps get you down.  Keep it up, this thing will be disco!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
I actually sunk my screws like you did as well, but I wood filled them and sanded flush.. in retrospect I guess I really didn't need to.

Agreed, the minuscule added grip to the laminate that filling in those holes would have provided is negligible.   Besides you can't see them anymore! ;)

I don't have much to contribute other than my praise.  There has been a nice departure from the "traditional" style of arcades here lately, and each one is so enjoyable to see in the works.  You got a great start, and are not letting speed bumps get you down.  Keep it up, this thing will be disco!

I love the classics and hopefully one day Ill have a dedicated cab or two (Black Tiger Jamma etc) but for now I just need to erase my first cab from sight! ;)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
Looking good. ;D

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
Awesome. I'm looking forward to doing the arcs on my cabinet, so it's very reassuring to see all this.

I am wondering though, if you'll run into any "air bubbles" or popping up of the laminate with that many holes that close together. I suppose it depends on the rigidity of the laminate and strength of the adhesive? I've heard of cracks telegraphing through veneer when applied on top of mdf bent with kerfs on the underside. Just wondering if it would be worth 10 minutes of filling and sanding to remove the air pockets?  ???
Project mega thread HERE

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
Very nice. A love the curves. Another project in my bookmark list  :applaud:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Just wondering if it would be worth 10 minutes of filling and sanding to remove the air pockets?

Well its only been 5 days but so far so good, no bubbles, cracks etc. Of course these things probably take longer than that to develop :(

Worst case I build another top and this time fill it in. Maybe I should have filled those holes in and I suppose time will tell me that hehe.  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:57:00 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Here are the rest of the weekend shots.  I traced out the outline of the top by laying it and rolling it. Then put contact cement on both the top and laminate.  I went over the lines on the laminate to ensure coverage. Then I made sure to wait at least 30 mins to let the cement dry on both pieces:

Then I prayed to the 4 winds, Crom and any other deity that would listen and applied the laminate to the top. There isn't a 2nd chance on setting and thankfully it lined up perfectly along the front where I wanted about 2mm of overhang:

Then I gave it a good trim with the router and as mentioned my bottom bearing trim bit which rode the bottom 1/8" of the 1/4" plywood.  This was quick and effortless. Here you can see a shot from the top of the front where the marquee retainer is bolted in. The Retainer and Bolts will be green. I will also laminate the top portion just above the retainer so  you won't see the plywood:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:03:20 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Then I laid it atop one of the side panels to ensure everything including the curves lined up.  This turned out perfect and rides just a few mm shy of where the T Molding will run on the side panels along the top and back:

Notice the gap between the side of the cab and the outter rib in the picture below. That is where the a rib will be attached to the side of the cab and the top piece will sit atop and bolt into.

That brings the pics up to pace with the exception of the base. Ill take some pics of that on the weekend when I start "the join"...can't wait, things are getting to that point where you anticipate it standing and can start to really visualize it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:19:43 am by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
NICE! I hope that it doesn't bubble on you. But I think it will be ok. The main problem I've ever had with laminate is from not having a clean surface. So it doesn't stick properly and then you get separation. I don't think the lack of filled screw holes is going to be a problem at all.

I can't wait to see this thing standing! Get on it!  :cheers:

syph007

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 24, 2014, 04:30:03 pm
  • With a router big enough, we can shape the world!
Looks great!  Also I doubt the screw holes will be any issue.

What kind of contact cement do you use?  The stuff I have is white and takes about an hour to be ready.  It starts out white and turns clear when ready.   

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
I used the product from Lepage which takes between 15 and 60 mins to set. I just did the paper dab test to determine when it was ready.  Im pretty sure I won't have an issue with bubbles. The stuff is pretty rigid and I smoothed it out from the center pretty good with a roller.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials