Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC Gfx Card capable of output to Arcade Monitor & running Model 2  (Read 1494 times)

zorrobandito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2015, 07:19:44 am
    • Zorro's Classic Games
PC Gfx Card capable of output to Arcade Monitor & running Model 2
« on: September 13, 2009, 07:52:51 am »
Just wondering if anyone knows of a gfx card that will do correct arcade frequencies (or approximate them) like the ArcadeVGA but also capable of modern 3D effects and processing such as pixel shaders necessary for Model 2 and other native PC games?

Model 2 Emu will not run on ArcadeVGA.

[EDIT] I've just looked into Soft-15hz - http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Soft-15khz which sounds like it might do what I'm after using software to modify the output of a conventional video card. Does the software detract in any way from either the card's performance or the image quality on the arcade monitor?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:47:46 am by zorrobandito »

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
Re: PC Gfx Card capable of output to Arcade Monitor & running Model 2
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:12:43 am »
no soft-15K is the way to go also most your emulation comes from the CPU no the video card so a up to date high end card is not required really

zorrobandito

• Offline Offline
    • Zorro's Classic Games
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:11 pm »
no soft-15K is the way to go also most your emulation comes from the CPU no the video card so a up to date high end card is not required really

I'll give soft-15k a try...

Good point about emulation not requiring gfx CPU, but I also want to run high-end PC games.

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:36:22 am »
I run a sapphire x1950 pro 512MB DDR3 wich was the stronger AGP card made but when ran on a 15K monitor your still limited to 640X480 and some 800X600 pc games but anything over that and the monitor cannot display so most of the games that require a card like that will not display on the monitor anyhow becuase the screen res is to high.

if you have a multisync monitor then you could have the best of both worlds perhaps but if your using a 15K only a strong card is not really needed.

zorrobandito

• Offline Offline
    • Zorro's Classic Games
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:54:01 am »
OK. Thanks for the info.

So, when buying a cab, what's the ideal monitor? How will I know if I'm getting a multi-sync or a straight 15hz?

And from your description, even with a 15hz monitor, I can still manage games in 640x480 but I guess I'd never be able to hook up an X-Box or 360 because of the video output? (Which kind of explains why so many projects I read about replace the arcade monitor with TVs.)

northerngames

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:58:54 am »
They can be hooked up to them also but thats another project.

try the monitor wiki to learn more about the consoles and arcade monitors