Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Problem with Sanyo 20 EZV  (Read 3536 times)

ZORK2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2010, 11:45:04 pm
Problem with Sanyo 20 EZV
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:10:15 pm »
Hi all,
I am having issues with the monitor on my Donkey Kong,  a SANYO 20 EZV.
Brief history, game was a DK3  sold as non-working with "monitor issues" The guy I bought it from said his kids  fired it up one day and the monitor came up scrambled. Currently I have a thread on the "Restoration" link, of my progress converting this game back to a regular DK.
When I got it, I fired it up, an d after a while, there was a faint picture that came up, it was completey scrambled. A redish blur. You could HEAR the sounds from the game, and even though it had no picture the board worked.
Fast forward a couple weeks, I recaped the monitor yesterday, got it hooked back up today. After some adjustment, I could get a picture, but it was not good. Not excactly sure how to describe it, other than "jumpy" and wavey, this was the absolute best I could get it to look after some adjusting....
Any thoughts as what to try next on this thing? A new Flyback perhaps? Any other suggestions?

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
Re: Problem with Sanyo 20 EZV
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:13:55 pm »
I apologize, my camera had a bit of a rough time capturing what is going on here, the second pic is perhaps a better representation of what is going on here!!
Thanks in advance!!

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention. What the sound is turned up, there is a "whining" coming from the speaker, that when a couple of the other pots are adjusted, it gets a little higher or lower pitched.....not sure if that means anything, but I don't recall that sound coming from that thing before I re-capped it......

qrz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
  • wrangling electrons since 1978
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:16:24 pm »
slow to display image is likely a weak crt .
the pic tearing will likely be faulty 'lytics in Hosc .
and probably more elsewhere  ;)

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:13:45 pm »
Well turns out that it is the DK PCB. I put the original DK3 board back in, for the most part the monitor looked nice.
It did have a slight wave, that I could not adjust out of it. Also, when the sound pot was turned up, when the sounds got really loud, the picture on the monitor seemed to "pulse" to the beat of the sounds. Any thoughts as to what would cause either of those issues? Possible sound board kit?

Also I posted a couple better pics of the picture of what the DK board is doing on my resto thread. If anyone has any experience trouble shooting a DK PCB, I'd be glad to hear some suggestions as where to start with that.......
Take a look at the pics on my resto thread on the restoration page....

qrz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
  • wrangling electrons since 1978
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:51:36 pm »
may wish to check regulator.   and agn , check ur 'lytics . common faults in MOST electronics nowadays.
note: current draw will increase when circuitry is driven hard

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:19 pm »
Thanks, got a new regulator today, just need to put it on......
I'll report as if that fixes it.

Yeah the loud sounds has to be pulling more current than something can take? Hence the monitor jumping with the beat of the sounds. I'm hoping the sound board rebuilt kit will take care of it. If not I'm going to try and pull 120V from something else that doesn't go through the monitor. That HAS to fix it. Just really don't feel like messing with the stock wiring.....

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:33:05 am »
If not I'm going to try and pull 120V from something else that doesn't go through the monitor. That HAS to fix it.

Not sure what your intentions are there........ but wanted to note that those monitors are 100V. The outlet in the bottom of the cab is NOT 120v.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 12:28:05 pm »
Yeah you're right. 100V
Na, I just mean the Audio board is powered off the monitor board, I'm saying, just power the audio from 100V from a different source than the one feeding the monitor board, so it is entirely seperate from anything that is going on with the monitor?? Why wouldn't that fix it?

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 02:22:45 pm »
I'm saying, just power the audio from 100V from a different source than the one feeding the monitor board, so it is entirely seperate from anything that is going on with the monitor?? Why wouldn't that fix it?

Then they would have designed it that way in the first place.  ;)

Was the audio board re-capped with the kit you put in ?

Could also possibly the main filter cap on the main chassis, which never comes in a kit.
(the biggest cap on the chassis)
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
Na, the audio rebuild kit just came in yesterday, I'll put it in this weekend.
Hmm, yeah I know excacly which cap you are talking about. You know where to get one of those? Mouser?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 06:14:07 pm »
I thought the audio board was 12V.  Or am I thinking of the inverter board?

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:51:58 pm »
Sigh,
I've done it now.
 :banghead:
I decided to put on the 9 extra caps that come in the Bob Roberts "Deluxe EZV cap kit"  as they did not come in the original cap kit I bought. I also put on the "audio board rebuild  kit" and a new voltage regulator, IC 601.
I was hoping that this would fix my "wave" issue.
INSTEAD the stupid thing isn't working AT ALL!! At first it made some weird sounds, the screen was scrambled, then it just went dark.  Fuses are fine, I went back and double and TRIPLE checked my solder joints, polarities, and that I used the correct caps. My work was solid!   :angry: The only thing I can think of is that I fried that voltage regulator?!  ??? Maybe static discharge from my hands, or overheated from soldering?  :banghead:
Once again, I throw myself to the mercy of the BYOAF!!!!  :-[

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 10:48:16 pm »
Does anyone know where to find the biggest chip on the board? IC 401, sync separator LA 1464?? I have searched a couple of the main sites, including mouser and digi-key, with no luck! Anyone know what chip is compatible with this? I am fairly confident this is the root of my problem as it appears cracked just under the surface in one corner. Might explain why the game wouldn't sync up? Turning the board over and over again soldering on those new caps might have been enough to cause it to fail perminatly?  ???

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:21:37 am »
That chip hasn't been available for quite awhile and is difficult to find.  I can source them, but they take a while to get in and I would need to order more then one.  You could see if arcadecup.com has any available or you can get one from another chassis.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
Hmm, is there a replacement equivalent available?

How many would I have to buy? And how much would they be a piece?

The dude at arcade cup is looking for them himself!!

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 01:48:21 pm »
There something like $15-20 each at least IIRC plus shipping.  Last time I inquired about them was last year.  I told arcadecup I could get some.  IIRC, he could get them cheaper, but I never heard back on that.  No other source or replacement that I know of currently.  Minimum is probably 5-10.  There may be a couple dollars in savings at 20.

I'm going out of town so you'll have to hit me up in a week or so if you want to discuss it more.

ZORK2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:28 pm »
Ah man,
I'd really rather not have to buy 5-10 of them at 20$ a pop!  :-\ Although I'm sure I could sell the rest of them and recoupe my money. Let me keep looking, I've looked quite a few places, and called a few too, with no luck. I can't believe that this chip is so stinkin hard to come by!
I emailed Chad over at Arcadecup.com, I'm hoping he has one that he'll want to part with.
If anyone eelse has any ideas, I'm open ears!!!