Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC High Score Comp #1-40 all time champs - Got a throw down score?  (Read 31007 times)

CrazyKongFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
Re: BYOAC High Score Comp #1-26 all time champs - Got a throw down score?
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 03:40:09 pm »
Congrats! What version of MAME did you use?

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2018, 11:39:19 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 04:32:25 pm »
Congrats! What version of MAME did you use?

thanks.
mame 0.121.

to see my "Frankenpanel" and design notes, click here.

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 08:00:48 pm »
Updated and Grats!  :cheers:

Will update the rest tonight.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:57 pm »
RobotronNut,

I see your 9,977,700 and raise you.

There's a small catch though. This was performed on Level 10 difficulty. Have fun.

I wish I could provide an inp. I've tried using MNGer, Fraps, inp and can't get it to work. It either just doesn't work period or it jerks and twitches at 5 frames per second.
It doesn't matter though. I just wanted to reach out to another fellow RoboNut.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 10:07:50 pm »
I see your 9,977,700 and raise you.

ouch! looks like i only get 15 mins of fame...  :notworthy:
i'll have to see how close i can get to 10M without going over...  >:D

i'd love to see your inp file. when we were kids, we learned a lot by looking over people's shoulders in arcades. nowadays, with the near-extinction of arcades, i guess sharing .INP files is the next best thing.

you should be able to capture a .INP by doing this:
    mame -skip_gameinfo -record robotron.inp robotron

and then play it back thru mame by doing this:
    mame -skip_gameinfo -playback robotron.inp robotron

have you tried that? if you can get that much to work, then post your .INP, and we all should be able to play it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:27:40 pm by RobotronNut »

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 11:41:56 am »
Try to do on difficulty 10 though and not the default difficulty 5. Believe me when I say, it'll be a night and day experience. One bad tank wave and you could be decimated. It's what separates the men from the boys.

Difficulty: 10
3 men to start
25,000 per free Elton (cause he looks like Elton John with those glasses)

Note: You need to hit F2 quite a few times to get to the right config screen to change the difficulty level.

I sometimes get creamed and don't even score a million. When I'm having a great game, it is still a constant struggle to get 10,000,000 because if you start to slack off, your bound to die off quick. The game is very fast and unforgiving. I'm actually quite exhausted after a rollover game at this setting. Level 5 is like a stroll in the park and not even a contest for experienced players such as yourself. You're score tells me so.

Give it a try and let me know how the new experience goes.

Thanks for the inp info. I can't remember if I used record when I tried. I believe I used some avi switch and the files would have been huge after playing for a couple of hours. How come your inp file is so small?

I'll give it another try tonight.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:47:24 am by (+_+) »

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »
There's 2 (well, at least 2) ways to record your MAME game. One is to make a movie, which is just like an AVI (I think 106 does an MNG) so it's HUGE. The other is to just record the input. Basically it records every keystroke you make as you play, then when you play it back, it just grabs the keystrokes from the INP file to recreate the game. That's why they're so much smaller. That's also what you use to submit MAME performances to TG.

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 04:58:26 pm »
Try to do on difficulty 10 though and not the default difficulty 5. Believe me when I say, it'll be a night and day experience. One bad tank wave and you could be decimated. It's what separates the men from the boys.

i set difficulty to 10 and played for several hours last night (i held down F1 and tapped F2 twice to get to the setup screen, then used the joysticks to navigate and select).

it was absolutely brutal! mostly died during tank waves, like level 17 or 22. farthest i got was level 37, score 919K, couldn't break a million. it was really more frustrating than enjoyable. i think i may try something like incrementing the difficulty by 1 every time i roll the score over (or maybe just be happy at default settings for a while).

Thanks for the inp info. I can't remember if I used record when I tried. I believe I used some avi switch and the files would have been huge after playing for a couple of hours. How come your inp file is so small?

the .INP file just captures your joystick movements. since the emulator is deterministic, if it captures the exact time with each joystick movement, it can "replay" the game using just that info, which is tiny compared to capturing video.

to guarantee reproducibility i also save copies of:
    cfg/robotron.cfg
    nvram/robotron.nv
this will be mandatory for you to share with others, since your config is not the default.

this is just for playback within mame. making a stand-alone video is more involved. i have successfully done that, and have attached my (very rough) notes to this post. i'm sure there are better ways to do it.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 08:43:50 pm »
Fortunately for me (in a sick and demented way), our local arcade owner was evil. He actual once powered off the arcade and uped the difficulty to 10, 50,000 per free man because I pissed him off for doing to well. Now that was brutal. Deep down inside I know he liked me, because he loved the game too. May he R.I.P.

I still haven't tried the inp setup yet, but will.

Capturing keystrokes makes sense, but I don't see how based on your movements the game would know how to play out since each screen starts out pretty randomly. I'll try to post one soon.

Thanks for you help
Marc

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2009, 09:40:22 pm »
Capturing keystrokes makes sense, but I don't see how based on your movements the game would know how to play out since each screen starts out pretty randomly. I'll try to post one soon.

the screens appear random, but they are only pseudo-random, generated by a reproducible algorithm, probably seeded by the the time in between user actions.

no hurry on posting an inp.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 10:48:43 am »
So the inp worked like a charm, except...

I had one game that went up to just over a million and I was doing amazing until the screen lucky charmed on me. I'm assuming the shot in the corner bug where the screen goes color snowy starting from left to right.

I then proceeded to check the inp hoping the inp was intact and to my surprise it was... or was it. It played out perfectly to about 500 K and then my man started to wonder around like a complete idiot. It looked as though he was commiting suicide.

I said ok, that was very weird. So I tried again, experienced a few miserable games and then stumbled into a game where I started to do well and reached 1.6 million and  :badmood: it blanked out again. Once more my inp didn't play correctly. I was tired and cheesed off at this point. Not to mention it was 1:00 AM. I play a few more miserable games and went to bed.

Has anybody every witnessed that with an inp file. Is it due to it not being closed off properly and it just starts to weird out? I forgot to mention on one of the games it put in G Z (I think) as initials after the inp started to bug out. I am not sure if I caused the initials since I did move the joysticks around when it bugged out. I'm looking forward to trying it again tonight. I should have backed up the buggy inp for posterity, but I did save a screenshot of one of the freezes.

But all in all, I'm impressed with the inp's small size vs other methods such as MNGer and using the AVI option.

I'll try to get a game some time over the next few days and when I reach about 2 million, I'll kill off my men quickly and exit the game to avoid it from blanking out. It has me paranoid and is affecting my gameplay. Once I hit escape to exit. That is equivalent to capping off the inp file correctly, right?

Thanks

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 11:50:09 am »
i'm very familiar with the crashes you're describing. they happen occasionally when there's an "enforcer" touching the right edge of the screen and you kill him by shooting diagonally down/right. if you avoid that situation, you avoid ALMOST all the crashes in robotron, although i have (very rarely) seen robotron crash when i wasn't doing that. this happens most often when you have an enforcer sitting in the lower right corner. when that happens, just shoot him with a downward shot or a right-ward shot, and you won't cause the crash.

there's some info about the bug here: http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/romset/robotron, but it is not 100% correct: (1) it says the enforcer has to be in the lower right corner, but i've observed that it can happen with an enforcer anywhere along the right edge, and (2) it says that the blue label rom (the one named "robotron") fixes the bug, but i can assure you it doesn't.

i don't think a crash should mess up an .INP file, but i've never tried to play one back.

hitting Escape to end a game is all you need to do to finish recording the .INP file.
don't forget to make a copy of any .INP file you want to save, or it will be overwritten the next time you capture an .INP file.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:41 pm »
You're absolutely right. I was killing an enforcer in the bottom right corner.

I made a mistake earlier about the second crash. The second crash was not a snow screen but an abstract color freeze, where all the guys on the screen froze in place and the colors went weird. That's the one I have the screenshot of and believe was the 1.6 million game.

I'll definitely save the next inp that does anything strange. I'll also check the recycle bin. It may still be there.

This is going to be great. I'll move onto joust next and then qbert. Those scores are going down.  ;)

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 08:25:58 pm »
Hey RobotronNut,

I've got the inps. I included robotron.inp which is just over 2 million and the 1.6 million version from last night.
On the 2 million version, I ended up with 21 men in reserve but started to worry the thing would flake out on me again
so I nuked the game.

I'd love to see one of you inps on difficulty 10. Keep on plugging, it'll start to slow down and level out once you get used to the speed.

:cheers:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 11:30:54 pm »
You are supposed to delete nvram and hi score files (if your version of mame supports them) before you start recording and also before you playback the inp.  That is the best way to make sure the game behaves exactly the same for the playback.  As mentioned, 'randomness' really doesn't exist in computing and is based on 'seeds' (numbers) -- arcade games used things like the hi-score table to seed the randomness, so if you try to playback an inp with a different hiscore table (for example), the enemies may appear in totally different places and you will look like you are 'wandering around like an idiot' when you playback hehe.
You also should use the same exact version of MAME for recording and playback (ie you can't record in MAME 0.35 and expect it to playback in MAME v.035.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:32:41 pm by ahofle »

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 01:03:10 am »
You are supposed to delete nvram and hi score files (if your version of mame supports them) before you start recording and also before you playback the inp.  That is the best way to make sure the game behaves exactly the same for the playback.  As mentioned, 'randomness' really doesn't exist in computing and is based on 'seeds' (numbers) -- arcade games used things like the hi-score table to seed the randomness, so if you try to playback an inp with a different hiscore table (for example), the enemies may appear in totally different places and you will look like you are 'wandering around like an idiot' when you playback hehe.
You also should use the same exact version of MAME for recording and playback (ie you can't record in MAME 0.35 and expect it to playback in MAME v.035.

ahofle - i've been assuming that if you have the following 5 pieces, you can reproduce the game:
        mame version
        name of rom (e.g. "robotron")
        robotron.inp
        robotron.cfg
        robotron.nv
does that sound correct? i know that is sufficient for me to reproduce games on my machine, but i'm not sure it's sufficient for someone else to reproduce my games on their system.

(+_+) - i tried your .inp and got the "wandering around" effect. there was obviously something out of sync. are you using mame 0.133?  you can just always delete your .nv file, as ahofle suggested, or you can do what i do:

in your mame directory, make a folder named SavedConfig.
copy nvram\robotron.nv SavedConfig\robotron.nv
copy cfg\robotron.cfg SavedConfig\robotron.cfg

make a file named robotron_capture.bat:
    copy SavedConfig\robotron.nv nvram\robotron.nv
    copy SavedConfig\robotron.cfg cfg\robotron.cfg
    mame -skip_gameinfo -record robotron.inp robotron

make a file named robotron_playback.bat:
    copy SavedConfig\robotron.nv nvram\robotron.nv
    copy SavedConfig\robotron.cfg cfg\robotron.cfg
    mame -skip_gameinfo -playback robotron.inp robotron

now to play a game and capture an inp file: just double-click robotron_capture.bat.
when sharing an inp file, include also the 2 files from SavedConfig.
to playback the current inp file,  just double-click robotron_playback.bat.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 10:12:28 am »
RobotronNut,

I noticed that there was no mention of delete as per ahofle's input.

I have attached the .nv and .cfg files.

Mame Version - 0.133
Rom Name - Robotron

I hope that does the trick.

Thanks you guys for your help!

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2009, 01:03:36 pm »
I have been toying around with the batch file idea based on the marp version below and what you guys said previously and what I've noticed is if you move these files, you will constantly be having to tweak your controls and difficulty settings before you play every time. I'd like to come up with a bat file that archives and time stamps your games, but I need to have a better understanding first so I can do it right.

The question I have is if you were to zip up your game inp, cfg, nv and hi (if applicable) files and pass those along to the person who wants to view them and they replace their versions accordingly, would that work also? I'm new to the recording business, so I may be missing the boat completely but I'd really like to have an understanding of the ins and outs.

Thanks.

rem usage: record <gamename> [ other MAME options ]

move hi\%1.hi hi\%1.tmp
move cfg\%1.cfg cfg\%1.tmp
move nvram\%1.nv nvram\%1.tmp
mame %1 -record %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
move hi\%1.tmp hi\%1.hi
move cfg\%1.tmp cfg\%1.cfg
move nvram\%1.tmp nvram\%1.nv

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2009, 01:52:08 pm »
I think it works if you pass the original pre-recording hi and nvram along, but it's just easier to delete them before you start recording just to take them out of the equation (basically it's like a fresh boot up of the game).  If you zip up the nvram AFTER your recording, it is already modified and the recording will be useless (you need the pre-recording nvram).  I don't think the cfg file should affect anything as it's just MAME input related.

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »
I think it works if you pass the original pre-recording hi and nvram along . . .

that's what the bat files i posted above do. every time you record or play back, you start from the exact same saved cfg and nv files. perhaps the cfg is not necessary, as you suggest. the advantage of this over just removing the files is that changes you've made (like setting the difficulty in robotron) are preserved, so you don't have to re-make them every time you capture an inp.

i'm not familiar with the hi directory or .hi files. i don't seem to have them in any of the versions of mame i have installed (0.103, 0.121, 0.133). i assume they're for the "high score hack", which i suppose you have to explicitly enable, which i haven't. my understanding is that the high score hack peeks into memory and scrapes out high score info, which it saves in files. does it also copy that info back into memory from the files? if not, then it could be safely ignored.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
It appears that all you need is the robotron.nv and robotron.inp file that I have attached earlier as well as mame 0.133 and robotron.zip.
Perhaps this may not be the case if you do have a hi directory, but I don't have one and I was able to playback on my other machine.

Plop the .nv file in your nvram directory, the .inp in your .inp directory and run the
playback command.

Can one you guys try it out and let me know.

Thanks
Marc

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:21 pm »
Hi guys,

Here's a joust high score just over 1,000,000.

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2009, 03:41:05 pm »
It appears that all you need is the robotron.nv and robotron.inp file that I have attached earlier as well as mame 0.133 and robotron.zip.

i tried this, and i was able to watch your game.

unfortunately, i didn't notice anything very different between our games, in terms of strategy. i think you and i play similarly, except that your reactions are faster than mine. your game at diff 10 looks a lot like my game at default diff (attached several posts above). at diff 10, things are moving so fast that i often get killed by missiles that i normally avoid or shoot. i also walk into mines and enemies more often, because my attention is engaged somewhere else on the screen.

the one difference i did note was that you always shoot in one direction at a time, while i sometimes sweep the joystick rapidly back and forth thru an arc, to spread shots alternately in 2 (or even 3) directions. i've experimented with this in the past, and i tried again last night, at diff 3 and at diff 10, and my scores are always lower when i play without the sweeping movements.

i'm attaching my best game at diff 10, score 992K. it's not a pretty sight.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:59 pm »
I'm trying to view yours but it seems to be stuck on the factory settings restored screen. Your file is quite large. I'm wondering if you left it on that default message for a while.

As for difficulty settings, it is definitely on 10. You can always tell based on the number of stars that the enforcers shoot. Tanks also blast balls at lightning speed. There is a part in the recording that shows me get one blasted into my face. No hope there. Factory settings are so slow it's crazy. Tank waves which are my nemesis on level 10 are usually completed on one man.

I do tend to shoot in the direction I'm moving to open holes, but I'm constantly picking off things at other angles. If you notice, I also try to get rid of the grunts since those are the ones that come back to haunt you later when they get too fast. I'm also a big fan of strategic short pauses to let things zing by my head and to sort of fish them in. Sudden change of direction in mid play also buys you a moment since they've already used their bullet quota into empty space.

I hope I can get yours to work. It's been a dogs age since I've actually watched someone else play while my quarters were lined up ready to go.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2009, 07:41:28 pm »
Very well done RobotronNut !!

I got it to work. I think I may not have overlaid the .nv file properly.

You're right! We do play similarly. You're going to be well on you're way to 10,000,000 soon enough if you keep practicing. The only downside is if you keep plugging away at diff 10, you'll never enjoy factory settings anymore.

The only thing I noticed was you crashed into things once in a while. At that difficulty, you need to save you're lives for tank waves since they can be devastating. I sometimes have games where I'm crashing into everything. Some of those times I've had a few drinks. The end result is a low scoring game.

I especially liked you fight to survive on level 24 and then once again when you were down to your last man. Never give up. You can sometimes fight your way back to "in memory". That is when you have seven guys lined up with extra unseen guys in memory.

I also notice on wave 25, that you didn't save mikey. Was it unintentional?

Anyways overall, I really enjoyed watching you play.

I'll talk to you later
(+_+)

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2009, 08:05:04 pm »
You guys both kick arse...nuff said :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 10:14:47 am
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:57 pm »
Another cool thread I have somehow missed.  :cheers:  I especially like that there's a list of original competition high scores.

I'm totally going to go for Shinobi, Terra Cresta, and Black Dragon.  8)  Possibly Bubble Bobble too, although I remember the epic battle with Mrclean only to come second and I'm not sure I have it in me to try again.  :dizzy:

Are we allowed to post scores for games we picked?  I'm pretty sure I can beat the top score for Terra Cresta.

Also Epyx, is there any chance of getting the last 5 or 6 games added to the list?

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2009, 08:32:46 am »
Delurking since my Joust "win" (though I do recall a certain someone besting the rest of us by so many orders of magnitude they were disqualified).  ;-)

Great thread.  I've always just used snapshots to record my high scores exclusively since:
1) High score saving is no longer supported in official MAME (and high scores can get lost between releases)
2) State saving is worthless for high score purposes because again, states almost always get lost between releases
3) .avi movies are too cumbersome - you need to remember to start recording every time you put a quarter in, and stop when the game's over for another replay (would be great if someone knew of a way to trigger this to occur - don't think you can bind "record start/stop" to the coin key)
4) .inp saves are too cumbersome for the same reason, PLUS the fact that you need the original version of MAME to replay

On that last one, what would be really nice is if the .inp feature not only recorded the game, but created a new, self-executing file that included the MAME binary used to record the inp, as well as the inp, cfg and nvram files.  Launch the file and it does nothing more than playback that game.  Optionally (obviously controvertially) the game ROM could be included in the package for further portability.  This would prevent against the file not working with newer updates to the ROM.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:36:50 am by Shoegazer »
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2009, 08:41:46 am »
That is a great idea Shoegazer. I too find inps way to cool, but at the same time a slight pain in the neck.

We you referring to me  :angel:. You won the comp hands down. These are just after the fact throw downs.

Q*Bert's next completing the 3 in a row "menage a trois".

RobotronNut

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2009, 09:41:43 am »
You're going to be well on you're way to 10,000,000 soon enough if you keep practicing.

you have to realize that the game i posted was my highest score over at least 8 hrs of playing at diff 10 over a couple of days. for now, i'm just going to ratchet up the diff slowly, rather than go straight for level 10.

The only thing I noticed was you crashed into things once in a while . . .

heh, heh - trust me, it's not on purpose. it's kind of a "fog of war" thing - paying attention to something elsewhere on the screen and running into something close. it's even worse with mines, which are stationary - like the T-rex in jurassic park, i often just miss them because they're not moving. these problems are magnified at difficulty 10.

I especially liked you fight to survive on level 24 . . .

there's nothing more gratifying than getting into a totally insane situation and then somehow surviving it. fun to watch after the fact, too. one of these years, i'm going to have to capture a bunch of hairy escapes and make a video.

I also notice on wave 25, that you didn't save mikey. Was it unintentional?

i'd read that the "mikey bug" only works on the first brain wave. supposedly, there is always one human the brains target, but wave 5 is the only wave during which you can tell who it is. i've never tested that statement, just assumed it was true.

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2009, 12:31:59 pm »
That is a great idea Shoegazer. I too find inps way to cool, but at the same time a slight pain in the neck.

We you referring to me  :angel:. You won the comp hands down. These are just after the fact throw downs.

Q*Bert's next completing the 3 in a row "menage a trois".

Yep, I believe it WAS you.  ;)  I consider myself good at Joust, but when I see scores like that, well, I'm in awe of people who can play like you.  I recall two guys in HS who were that good at Joust - it was almost inhuman, yet SO fun to watch them.  There was another guy on my lacrosse team who was equally good at Rygar.  By that I mean, he knew just about every secret in the game (and if you know that game, there's millions of secrets), and he could finish the game on one LIFE.  It was crazy.  Still one of my all-time favorites though - right up there with Joust and Jackal.

Anyway, I have hopes oneday that there'll be a decent solution to the high-score saving "problem" but until then, I'll just stick with screen shots.. ;)
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:43 pm »
RobotronNut, the mikey trick always works on the lady stages and there is always one mikey somewhere. I have noticed that once in a blue moon they start reprogamming your humans even though mikey is still alive. And don't forget picking him up yourself cause them to start feasting.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2009, 03:22:33 pm »
Also Epyx, is there any chance of getting the last 5 or 6 games added to the list?

Absolutely...unfortunately work and school have kept me WAY too busy...no progress on my arcade cab or even posting as much as I usually do...in a few days I have a few days off and will add the last few comps in.  Maybe even later today but as usual...on a Sunday I find myself logged into the Terminal Server at work and doing...work :(
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:07 pm »
Absolutely...unfortunately work and school have kept me WAY too busy...no progress on my arcade cab or even posting as much as I usually do...
If this is any help...

#28  Satan's Hollow209,280jasonbar09-Oct-09
#29  The Speed Rumbler160,200Epyx17-Oct-09
#30  Black Dragon828,900Epyx07-Nov-09
#31  Twin Cobra909,250ArcadeNerd20-Nov-09
#32  Tetris177,878DrFrag02-Dec-09
#33  Gyruss346,400Hurray Banana13-Dec-09

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »
The Q*bert score has been passed.
I couldn't add the inp file since it was too large. Still had a few guys left and snapped a screenshot.

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:03 pm »
I've found that you can squeeze a fair bit more out of an inp by zipping the zip file.

I've just beaten Terra Cresta.  256,600.  Inp file recorded with Mame32 v0.129.

DrFrag

• Offline Offline
    • MAME Cab Worklog
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 04:45:42 am »
I beat Black Dragon.  2,201,800 points.  ;D Seems to be much higher scoring than Black Tiger (where my top score is 812,600).

INP recorded with Mame32 v0.129.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: BYOAC High Score Comp #1-33 all time champs - Got a throw down score?
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2009, 11:35:01 am »
Updated to include DrFrag's (Revenge when my new cab is complete DrFrag!) high scores and the last few comps.

Looks like DrFrag just threw down a couple of challenges...grats!  :cheers:
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

quarterstringer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2016, 03:35:04 pm
  • Rampart
    • Rampart
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:31 pm »
(+_+) Great score on Q-bert.
I was going to try and beat it, then I saw how many men you had left.

Here's my score for Tetris - 238,388

numbnutz48

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2017, 04:30:39 pm
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »
I have no friggin idea about the .ini file thingy or whatever, but i do have 2 screenshots of my latest bubble bobble game! Personal all time best too!!