Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SkeeBall Identification  (Read 21835 times)

coyote640

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2021, 06:58:35 am
SkeeBall Identification
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:05:17 pm »
Please help me with this beast. This SkeeBall machine has a marquee that says "FAB U BALL"... All stickers in the machine are for F.A.B. Electronics Co., Inc. in Pleasantville, NY.
I can't find any info on the machine. The control box inside contains 3 boards.
Was wondering if this was like any of the actual SkeeBall machines H or S?
As you see, the sound board has 2 sets of dip switches. I would like to identify this machine to get hold of a manual.
The machine powers up fine and stays in attract mode, but can't get it to reset to start a game. It has a service switch and a reset switch like some of my arcade cabinets. The ball sensor seems to be working fine, stops the balls after 9 have passed.
Any help is much appreciated...

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
Re: SkeeBall Identification
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:04:28 pm »
I would call "SkeeBall Inc" in Philadelphia and ask them if they have ever heard of the "F.A.B. Electronics Company" from Pleasantville New York, or whether they could recommend someone in New York to ask about this company.  I mentioned "SkeeBall Inc" since they have been around since 1909 and most likely would know who their competitors were from New York.   Anyway, worth a try.

www.skeeball.com

121 Liberty Ln
Chalfont, PA 18914-1820
(215) 997-8900

Other than that, if you are really desparate, you can try calling electronic stores in Pleasantville New York and ask them if they have ever heard of "F.A.B. Electronics" and see where that leads you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:06:05 pm by unclet »

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2015, 07:27:00 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 08:17:08 pm »
interesting. Besides the electronics, the cabinet is damn near identical to a classic alley. I'll be at skee ball tomorrow, I'll have to ask one of the old heads. Any year on it?

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
Just missed some manual information on ebay not long ago.
Looks like it has some regular "Skee Ball" stuff in the mix.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270406674205

There was a gal (Liz) at Skee Ball that was helping me find some manuals and such not too long ago, I e-mailed her to ask about this F.A.B. machine. Figure it's worth a shot.
If RichSorr is stopping by there than that would probably be even better.

Curiosity has got me now.
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 09:26:44 pm »
UncleT: Thanks for the input, I definately will try.

RichSorr: That would be great.
On the CPU it says FAB 002 and there is a sticker on one of the chips "FAB U3 1pt 11/15/04.
A sticker on the back reads: "F.A.B. Electronics Co., Inc. Pleasantville, NY 10570."
No serial number, but inside the coin door, it says Property Number:100900 9

Kevin Mullins: Always a day late. For the heck of it, I am going to email guy that sold the manual and see if I can get an email address to whom he sold it too. Maybe I could get them to scan it for me.

I still need the measurements on the LED display cover of a regular 3 digit SkeeBall. Maybe SkeeBall.com will have this info, I will call them tomorrow.

I did redo some wiring, and got the game to reset, just need to figure out the lights schematic, the "GAME OVER" and the "ALLEY OPEN" lights don't work, but it does show the ball number in play, and the score board is changing...

Thanks for all the help guys, keep it coming.... :notworthy:

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:14:47 pm »
The response from Liz at Skee Ball I just received......
(granted I only sent her a couple general pics)

It looks like it is actually a SkeeBall game with a different display panel on it.  But the electronics look like they may have been done by Deltronics Labs way back in the day.  We can't really work on these boards anymore due to lack of test fixtures and any of the techs that knew how to work on it have left our company.  So I would give Deltronics a call or send them an e-mail seeing if they can help with that.

Liz Callahan
Customer Service

Deltronics not only does the ticket dispensing equipment, but they did main circuit boards for a lot of redemption games as well.
This may be one of those "who bought out who" scenarios, because there's just not much information on the F.A.B. Electronics Co.

Maybe with enough people poking around we'll find more out as we go.   :dunno

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:32:46 pm »
Thanks for that.... I did get hold of the guy who won the Ebay auction. He just wanted the Skee Ball sheets, so he sold me all the FAB paperwork...

1)  A blue folder with label "Parts List, Price List, F..A.B. Target Ball Game" containing tons of pages of part numbers, pics, prices, etc.etc.etc.

2)  FAB Troubleshooting Problems Guide

3)  1 page cabinet assembly instructions

4)  1 page display board wiring sheet

5)  DIP switch settings guide

6)  1990 price list, order form, and other information sheet packet

After I get that, I will have a little better idea what I have, and then may try talking to someone at Deltronics.

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 06:53:27 pm »
Scan it.  ;D

Glad that worked out for ya.
I've made some strange contacts that way that have worked out well.  :cheers:

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 08:21:47 pm »
yes, scan all that. I would really like to see it. Didn't stop by skee ball today, but I was at deltronics! shame I didn't see this earlier.  I'll give one of the engineers I know at skee ball a ring tomorrow. He's been with the company since they were a tiny place in lansdale..if anyone would know..he would. That HAS to be a skee ball cabinet. Doors, runway corner guard, channel covers are all identical.  I am really curious to see where the rest of it came from though, the boards could be deltronics, but I doubt they would produce a board with another companies name on it. Coyote, where did you get this from? where did the person you got it from get it from?

Having worked for skee ball for years, being a skee ball fan, and still repairing them constantly, I am very curious to see how this came about.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:22:19 pm »
I bought the machine in Bennington, VT.... the guy said he had gotten it a few years ago from a local bar..... Bennington is around 3 hours from Pleasantville NY where the FAB Electronics Co was...

I talked Skeeball.com on the phone today, the first guy Bob seemed a little PO'd when I was inquiring on the measurements of the LED display cover to see if it would fit mine. He blurted out that No SkeeBall parts would work with another kind of machine. He then  patched me to Liz who told me that they don't carry anything like that anymore. So dead end there.
I have found one on Ebay that is off an S machine, and I am having the guy measure it for me and he said he will get back to me.

When I get the paperwork by the end of the week, I'll scan it for anyone who wants to see it...

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:54 pm »
yeah, everyone in customer service there now is new...they won't be helpful with older stuff. Do you need the actual display or just the red covering?

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:12 pm »
I need the cover that goes over the bulbs, that give it that digit look when the bulbs are lit.... Like this one -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Skeeball-coin-display-cover_W0QQitemZ350243020049QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518c1c5d11&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I need one that is close to 5"H x 11"W. From edge to edge it might be slightly bigger. But the height of the numbers are around 4 3/4".

You can see from this pic it is missing....

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41:14 pm »
That HAS to be a skee ball cabinet. Doors, runway corner guard, channel covers are all identical. 

I agree... But have you seen one with a coin return like that?

I am really curious to see where the rest of it came from though, the boards could be deltronics, but I doubt they would produce a board with another companies name on it.

But they could be of a Deltronics design or one Deltonics bought out or some other situation like that. You know how smaller companies were always getting eatin' up by others.

coyote640 - I know where one is laying around from an S machine at a location I help tend to on occasion, just haven't made it down there this week. Sorry for the delay.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:15:24 pm by Kevin Mullins »

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
I know Kevin, just curious is all. I will wait till you are able to get down there to see.

I just came across this.....look familiar?
The pic is on a site that rents machines -

http://www.fourseasonsamusements.com/sports_bar.html

It states that it SkeeBall Alley - A Four Season's Exclusive. It has a little shorter ramp, but this could be a twin to the FAB I have. I think I'll give them a call to see who it was that made the machine for them.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:55 pm »
That HAS to be a skee ball cabinet. Doors, runway corner guard, channel covers are all identical. 
[/uqote]

I agree... But have you seen one with a coin return like that?

I am really curious to see where the rest of it came from though, the boards could be deltronics, but I doubt they would produce a board with another companies name on it.

But they could be of a Deltronics design or one Deltonics bought out or some other situation like that. You know how smaller companies were always getting eatin' up by others.

coyote640 - I know where one is laying around from an S machine at a location I help tend to on occasion, just haven't made it down there this week. Sorry for the delay.

Definately possible. When skee ball/deltronics/ptc all split up Deltronics was doing A LOT of boards. I can't recall if I've seen a coin return like that, I didn't even take notice of it.  There are a few things that are different from an actual Classic alley, looks like there is a metal trim on the bottom of the back box, the netting is different, beacon, no sandbags (could just be missing). I see screw holes on the edges of the target board, unless it was done in the field thats not done. solenoid assy is completely different.  Looking at the pictures you posted in your other thread it looks like you can get to the boards through the back? skee balls cabinets are closed. Also doesn't appear to be target board lights. Skee Ball used to build A LOT more than they do today, so the cabinetry could be something they built for another company, or it could just be a pretty good knockoff.

Skee Ball said they didn't have that display cover? When I was there they were fairly good about keeping old classic parts around since there are so many older models in service. Maybe that changed when they got new management.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:23:42 pm by RichSorr »

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 11:21:51 pm »
Yes, boards from the back...and no target lights.... Alot is different....

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:01 pm »
Skee Ball said they didn't have that display cover? When I was there they were fairly good about keeping old classic parts around since there are so many older models in service. Maybe that changed when they got new management.

That response kinda surprised me too...... especially when their site praises the fact that they carry older machine parts in their FAQ's section.
I mean come'on..... I can't imagine how many "Classics" are out there.
Bet if you gave them a part number they'd have it.  ;)

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 02:21:59 pm »
OK, got our answer. Spoke to one of the old timers I know over at skee ball. Skee Ball had NOTHING to do with it. Once he heard FAB U BALL he said "nah, that was some company in NY making cheap knockoffs, they havent been around for years"

so there we go

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 02:27:29 pm »
Well, that sure answered that right quick.   :cheers:

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 02:30:24 pm »
So that is that..... Now it's just putting the beast back together... :lol

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:36:54 pm »
I'll see what you find out on that display cover Rich, if worse comes to worse, I'll strip it out, put in a Keywiz and a monitor with RandyT's software...

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 02:57:34 pm »
if worse comes to worse, I'll strip it out, put in a Keywiz and a monitor with RandyT's software...

Gonna make a jukebox out of it ? 

10 hole to PLAY
20 hole to PAUSE
30 hole.....
40 hole.....

Just kidding of course..... I know what you're talking about.

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »
I'll see what you find out on that display cover Rich, if worse comes to worse, I'll strip it out, put in a Keywiz and a monitor with RandyT's software...

Call Skee Ball and ask for Barry, that man knows his skee ball parts, past and present. He will know exactly what you're talking about and could give you a definate answer as to if they have them or not.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »
OK will do, Kevin says he has one off an S model that he is going to check out for me... If not, I'll make it fit or find something that does...

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »
LOL Kevin, besides I already made a dedicated Jukebox and did my Mame cabinet...LOL

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 10:57:35 am »
KEVIN - Here is a couple pics of the display cover I need......Thanks, and let me know what you come up with...

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 11:46:56 am »
Yup, I knew exactly what you needed.... where the heck did you find pics ? I looked all over the net for some.
Now hopefully to see if we can find a match of sorts to fit for ya.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 11:51:01 am »
These were the pics of the one the guy has on ebay....

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
Just pulled mine from my little Toss Em' machine..... looks almost identical to those aside from some very minor differences. (none that would make much difference in how it mounted) These are individual digits like those, but are glued together instead of the little slide together notches. And there is a metal bracket hold the red plexi versus the built in grooves for the red plexi to slide in.

Gonna try and grab the one from that Model S Skeeball machine later today.
Will measure them both up when I get the other .
Quick measurements of this one I have now matches yours to a T.

Are the mounting posts on your machine just push on type ?
(just push the display on, no through screw or nut)

BTW - My Toss Em machine was made by Coin Concepts, Inc. which has since been bought out by Baytek. They don't have much support for this particular game, but still may be another parts source if need be. (?) (basic parts)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:31:11 pm by Kevin Mullins »

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 05:50:16 pm »
Yes, they are just the push-on type, that's how I lost it to begin with in the transport. It just blew off....
I don't think it would matter to much on how it mounted though, I can make one work. As long as the number size is the same and matches up to the bulbs. Even if they didn't, it would take a little work, but I could move the bulbs around on the board to make it line up.
Let me know on the model S.... if that doesn't work, I can try to get hold of Baytek...

RichSorr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 07:00:28 pm »
Baytek won't have parts for Toss Em

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:51 pm »
Baytek won't have parts for Toss Em

Yeah, I know. I had already called them for any information in regards to my little machine in particular.
Point being is a game with a similar display may be interchangeable. (including possibly a classic Skee Ball which they should support)
Kinda one of those parts that were out sourced to begin with by many different companies who all got them from the same manufacturer.

coyote640 - I ran down to the location and the one I was thinking of on the shelf ended up being the NEW style display which actually has true LED digits. The older version used bulbs like yours and my little Toss Em.
I still think it's a good shot the older version will fit your machine like the one you found on ebay. It matches my display, which matches your dimensions, etc, etc.
They have six other Skee Ball machines in operation on location, I may run back down shortly and pop each one open and see if any have the older style in it.
We were only in the neighborhood to go birthday present shopping, so I didn't have much time with the misses waiting.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2009, 05:09:40 am »
No need Kevin, the guy on Ebay emailed me back, and he says my measurements match perfectly as far as the digits. The mounting holes are exactly like yours on the Toss Em'. So looks like we have a good enough match to make something work. I'll you keep you posted on the progress.

The manuals should be here sometime today. I'll scan them for anyone that is still interested.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 08:52:44 am »
Bennington, VT eh?  You're fairly local to me then.  I live in Brattleboro.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 10:10:05 am »
Same general area, but I am in NY near Plattsburgh....across the lake from Burlington.... I traveled about 3 1/2 hours for this machine...

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
No need Kevin, the guy on Ebay emailed me back, and he says my measurements match perfectly as far as the digits. The mounting holes are exactly like yours on the Toss Em'. So looks like we have a good enough match to make something work. I'll you keep you posted on the progress.

Sweet.... that's kinda what I was expecting to find out anyways. You should be good to go with the "Skee Ball" older style version then.
 :cheers:

The manuals should be here sometime today. I'll scan them for anyone that is still interested.

Indeed looking forward to seeing those.
And it would also give us something to look at if further trouble shooting is needed.

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 12:59:24 pm »
Sorry for coming up missing guys.....The Fab_U_Ball came out great!!! New paint and alot of cleaning and rewiring, and it is working perfect! The new LED Display cover fit perfectly....
Thanks for all the help.... :applaud: :notworthy:

Also attached is the manual I got on it....not much, but it did actually help a little. As you can see by the quality of the manual, it was definitely a fly_by_night outfit who sold these...

Kevin Mullins

• Offline Offline
    • Me on Myspace
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 01:28:22 pm »
Awesome !!  :cheers:
That turned into a very nice looking machine.

What did you find as being your initial reset problem ?

To a forum moderator -
Can a moderator help us out with the .pdf links please?

coyote640

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 02:19:21 pm »
Works just like a regular skeeball machine....alot of work went into it, but the final result was worth it. The reset problem ended up being in the ball sensor, it wasn't counting all the balls when I tripped the release spring. A little cleaning, and had to lower it abit. Once I did that it counted 9 balls and reset. I bypassed the coin mech and just added an arcade button on the side, this drops the balls and starts the game. I was a little worried about the cork board on the ramp, it was pretty messed up. I had read not to paint it, but I bit the bullet and painted it, and it came out and works great. Originally, the tops of the sides were red, but I decided to paint those yellow to look more like a regular SkeeBall machine.

Here is a direct link to download the PDF manual, it is in a zip file to make it easier.
http://rapidshare.com/files/283123670/FAB.zip

I am going to order a set of new balls from Happ, the ones I have are pretty bad. I might have a new marquee made up, but other then that, it is golden and the family is really enjoying the new addition to the gameroom. ;D

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »
To a forum moderator -
Can a moderator help us out with the .pdf links please?

Nope.  Attachments (except pictures) are still broken.