Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Light gun calibration question  (Read 2149 times)

AlanS17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Light gun calibration question
« on: July 11, 2003, 11:22:25 pm »
I've got 2 light gun calibration questions:

(1) Do I need to recalibrate every time I restart the computer?
(2) If I force a resolution (like 640x480) for every game, do I still have to recalibrate when I start a newgame?

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
Re:Light gun calibration question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 05:28:26 am »
I've got 2 light gun calibration questions:

(1) Do I need to recalibrate every time I restart the computer?
(2) If I force a resolution (like 640x480) for every game, do I still have to recalibrate when I start a newgame?

(1) No.

(2) If you force the same screen size and same refresh rate, then you don't need to recalibrate.  
If you force the games to run at the same size, but let them run at different refresh rates, you'll need to recalibrate when you switch from a game that runs at one rate to one that runs at a different rate.
And if you want to use the guns on the windows desktop, that's another recalilbration, unless the desktop and games are run at the same resolution (size + rate).

FWIW, I force one screen size, like you asked.  I my experience, recalibration takes under 10 seconds, and I rarely cross from a game with one refresh rate to another game with a different rate.  So I don't need to refresh that often.  (But I usually go thru "phases", at least AFA lightgun games go, so you might "cross" refresh rates more often.  You can force a refresh rate, but you might run into display, or even emulation, problems depending on the options you set.
Robin
Knowledge is Power