Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabaret MAME Arcade Classics (99.9% done now)  (Read 14608 times)

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
Cabaret MAME Arcade Classics (99.9% done now)
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:47:50 pm »
So I got another deal on Craigslist, it is a Bump N' Jump Cabaret cabinet.  It is in very decent shape, and pretty clean.  I will need to redo the T-Molding, get some new tinted plexi, and replace some lights.  But other than those few things cosmetically it is very solid.  I have been wanting both a dedicated vertical MAME cabinet and also a smaller cabinet for my girls to put in the playroom.  This will be the answer to both of those goals.  Originally I was going to convert this to a Ms Pacman theme so it was more girl friendly, but my oldest told me that she likes the cars and wants those pictures to stay.  So for now, that is the way it will be.

I will need to replace the monitor, I have a flat screen 17 inch CRT ready to put in, I just need to discharge this one first and get that bad boy in there.  It has many issues with display, I don't have the time/knowledge to fudge with it, so a replacement will the best option.  If anyone in the Cleveland OH area would like to come pick up a working 17 inch monitor, PM me, maybe we can work a deal.  I will not ship this, sorry. . .

In the last two pictures, I repainted the back panel, and the coin door.  It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do to really make it pop.  The coin door was in stellar condition to begin with, now it looks minty fresh.  except the coin inserts will need to be replaced.  I also painted the marquee holders and the top of the CP to hold the plexi on, but I forgot to take pictures of it, and it's late, so that will be another day.  

On the subject of plexi, I need to get a replacement tinted piece for both this and the last piece for finishing my Space Invaders cocktail restore project (sorry, no thread on that one.)  Does anybody know the best place with the best price to get tinted Plexiglas?  I can find the pieces, but the shipping always cost 2 times what the plexi itself costs, and that it tough to swallow.

I have a computer ready to install, but I need some advice, I want to make this as user friendly for my daughters who are too young to read at this time.  I left the MaLa default for my DK MAME machine since it was good enough for me.  I am not sure how to use the GUI changes in MaLa, nor what would be the best for children to use, pics of the marquee, or screen shots, something like that.  Any help or direction would be great.  

Last but not least, I will keep the 2 button set-up, but I am going to redo to placement so they are side by side, rather than an ambidextrous single button set-up.  Does anybody have a list, or a way to list all the vertical games that use 3 buttons or less.  For some games, since it is a one player at a time set-up, I will make the 2P start button the 3rd button for play if needed.  

Now I am just waiting for some new parts to arrive, and to get the new monitor put in place, and this should go rather swimmingly, and quickly at that.  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:47:50 pm by Chicken McNobody »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
Re: Bump N' Jump Cabaret MAME
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:34 am »
Nice score - One of these days I want to build a lowboy or cabaret or something - I love the angle of the monitor.   :cheers:

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 10:35:44 am »
I have always liked these.  Even though the design is very basic and each game is not the unique design as a full size cab would be.  But they have a nice charm to them all of their own.  This will definitely fit better in the play room, so Donkey Kong may have to move to the basemet since I will loose my excuse.  But that's ok, the initial excitement and extreme desire to play has worn down a bit.  I still play it a lot, it's just not on 24/7.  It's all good though. . .

This will be fun. . .

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:43:23 am »
So The Wife was at work, and the kids were with Grandma for the day, so I got some time to work on this some more.  I bounced back and forth between this and my Space Invaders cocktail.  On that I put new Molding and installed the underlay and CPO.  I am letting them sit over night before I move further, they a being clamped to allow the adhesive to set.  I am so close to finishing that, I never put a thread on it, I don't know why, but I'll post a finished picture probably within this thread, it's got a week tops to be done.

Anywho, on the BNJ, I cut out the new monitor "shelf" mount, and I surprisingly got it right the first time.  I had to do some replacement of the monitor board, it was sticking out the back by like an inch.  But other than that, it is lined up perfectly, that was a great relief.  Also you can see in the pics, the old CP and the new wood cut to become the replacement CP with the 2/3 button setup.  I have a buddy at my work who is a carpenter by hobby, and he's got a great wood shop in his entire 2 1/c car garage.  I was supposed to meet up with him today, but his parents needed his help at their place, so he offered to drill it out for me with his drill press.  It should only take 10 minutes using the original cp to line it all up. 

I also replaced the single incandescent bulb marquee light with a fluorescent one, so that works much better.  I need to de-case my computer to put in the coin catch area, fix the power switch at the top, cut out the posterboard to surround the monitor, get new plexi for both the monitor top (decided to go clear for now) and marquee, and to figure out the games list and computer stuff.  Oh yeah, and replace the T-Molding. . .

All in all, not too much more to go, I am not trying to make this perfect, but it will look way better than when I got it.  And I am not concerned about the gouges here and there, I don't have the time, money, or desire really to go that into it.  It's going in the playroom, where it may get a few more dings here or there anyways, so at least it won't be that big of an issue.

I also finished the paint on the marquee holder, and the top CP bracket.  It all looks very sharp, the pics are at low light, sorry.  The bad thing about working in an unfinished basement is low light.  The great thing is that you can pain and scratch the hell out of it.  It doesn't matter since is will all be covered by carpet and drywall eventually anyways.  My goal is to get all my projects done before that time, otherwise, I will not be able to do any more work like this down there. 

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:58 am »
OK, so things have changes on this due to various reasons, mostly being time issues.  I have had a ton of problems with the computer for inside this, and finally got those resolved.  I have decided to make this a classic arcade theme for now, and work on a full Bump N' Jump MAME restore down the road.  I want to finish this, but don't have the time to do what is needed right now with the artwork.  A very generous individual gave me the hi res scan of the marquee that I need, but it will take a lot of cleaning up before it's ready to be printed.

I am going to get what is needed though to basically have everything completed other than the art. 

I have asked in the past, and I don't recall getting any answers, so I will ask again.  I need to find a decent deal on smoked plexi that is approx 22 1/2" by 18" and 3/16" thick.  I can get more detailed measurements, but I am work right now, and don't have that access.  Also, I need a 1/8" thick smoked plexi for my Space Invaders that is approx 14" by 17".  I would like to know if anyone has some good ideas on where to find this stuff, and preferably at a decent price. 

I had gotten a cut piece of 1/3" thick clear acrylic at Lowes that is perfect but I can't seem to get the inside in a satisfactory presentation to have full on clear visibility.  I mean it would work for now, but I think replace the smoke plexi would be the best idea.  Also, that piece only cost like $8 so that was a huge incentive.  I don't know if there are any easy ways to tint it myself.  But I am open to any suggestions. 

Other than that, I have the T-molding ready, the computer ready to decase/install finally, and the buttons ready to roll.  I will eventually get a CPO made up, but for right now, it is a rough painted wood surface, since I am not sure how to go at this time.  This is the first time I am clueless on how to do something artwise.  Any suggestions on a simple but effective Classic Arcade style CPO?  I am open to any suggestions at this time.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:31:37 am by Chicken McNobody »

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
Re: Bump N' Jump Cabaret MAME (Lil' help?)
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »
Now that the computer issues have been cleared up, I've had some time to work on the build itself.  I had a new CP made up, got my buttons from LizardLick, and broke a leaf switch for my joystick.  I ordered 4 replacement leafs, and I also ordered an entirely new joystick as a back-up.  The new joy is on back order, so it may be a while, but the original is working solid right now, so it's no rush. 

I still have a few things to do, mostly cosmetic.  As you can see I don't have the computer inside the case as of yet, it will be decased and placed in the coin box area, it's just getting the time to finish that part.  And we all know how much work you get done once the machine is playable.  Also, I still want to replace the smoked plexi, in the pictures it looks fine, but up close you can see many many hairline scratches, so scuffs, and some cigarette burns.  So it will come in time, but it's decent enough for right now at least. 

I am currently working on the CP art, I decided to hold of on the Bump N' Jump MAME restoration due to time and budget.  So I got a bargain Marquee from Scott that I like a lot, it's generic, but it has the feel that I wanted with this whole thing.  I am thinking of doing a modified Pac-Man style CP Overlay, removing some of the direct markings and mixing in some other classic themes.  I am still not 100% on this. 

The hole in the CP on the left side is a place marker for the spinner that I will be getting within the next couple of weeks hopefully.  I did a small hole for placement, and at that time I wasn't sure which spinner I was going to get.  But it was a dumb move trying to find anything better than the Turbo Twist 2.  I will get that with the red rubber knob, so it will blend well with the joystick color. 

All in all, it is coming along nicely, and those who may have seen my DK MAME build, will recognize that this is in the living room where DK used to be.  This was a sad move, but allowed me to have easy access to finish this, and The Wife was way more pleased with the small size of this cabinet since it is roughly 24 inchs square.  So a good 10 inches less in the depth of DK, and not nearly as bulky.  The DK has it's permanent home in the basement now in between the pins and the Space Invaders Cocktail game.  It has a good home, and this will eventually join the rest in the basement as well.

My girls love it, and my oldest is actually getting really good at Lady Bug, it has become her favorite game.  I had a HAPP super in place before I got the relacement leaf for the WICO joystick.  Once I put in the WICO today, her game improved a ton, it really feels better for the classic games.  I love my DK MAME with the HAPP supers since it is set up for fighting games, but I see why some people as so adimate about classic controls on classic games.

It seems that a lot have viewed this, but not much in the way of comments, I am open to any comments or suggestions.  Don't be shy now. . .

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:00:07 am
  • Bleat.
Re: Cabaret MAME Arcade Classics
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:57 am »

Ah the eternal balance between arcade bliss and marital bliss, it's a fine line.  Those who can successfully make the necessary sacrifices to keep both their cabinets working and their wife happy need to be admired and congratulated.  It isn't easy but you seem to have found a nice balance.  Your machine looks great, keep the updates coming!!

I am the great "threadkiller!!"....watch me go.

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Bleat.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:54:25 am »

Oh and I love the evil Ronald gif animation....still laugh everytime I see it.

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:54 pm »
Well, here is an artwork update.  Since this is mainly for my girls (seriously, it is.)  I let them help me with the CPO art design.  I originally wanted to make a Pac-Man themed cabinet out of this, but decided a generic cab was more cost effective.  Then I thought Ms Pacman would be a nice style, but both of my girls didn't think the Ms Pacman art was pretty enough.  I agree, it all looks out of proportion, and trippy.  So they got excited on a Pac-Man art design, but I didn't want to just make a version of the original CP.  So I modified it to make it look more original and something that both my girls enjoyed. 

We toyed around with the idea of making it multiple themed characters, we added Q-Bert, Mappy, Pengo, and some others, but it looked too messy for my taste.  So I talked it out with them, and they agreed that this was a good compromise, and I am satisfied.  I will print a B&W version tomorrow at work, to make sure it will line up correctly.  There will be a spinner next to Pac-Man's head on the right. 

Any input would be appreciated as well. . .

Oh, and the Pac-Man outline is a different shade of "black" so in this smaller file it blends 100% with the background, but the full size one it is different enough to distinguish the outline from the background.

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
Re: Cabaret MAME Arcade Classics (CPO art done?)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 04:19:03 pm »
Hmmmm. . .

I made a different CPO, I liked the other one, but it felt off to me.  I discovered that Puck-Man had some great cartoony art to it, and the girls loved the addition of the ghosts.  So this is what I am going with at this time.  What do you guys think?

Billy_Goatfeet

• Offline Offline
  • Bleat.
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:29:47 pm »

I like it, simple and clean.  Authentic retro 80's look and feel. 

emphatic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:28:32 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:58 pm »
Looks nice, but I would do the red arrows a bit smaller so they all fit inside the blue line-frame.

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »
Looks nice, but I would do the red arrows a bit smaller so they all fit inside the blue line-frame.

That part is lifted directly from the original Pac-Man unaltered.  I am not seeing how you mean about it not fitting.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:23:44 pm by Chicken McNobody »

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »
For those who may still be checking this out, this update is with some sadness and gladness. . .

The gladness is that I have ordered and received both my Turbo Twist 2 from GGG, and my CPO from MAMEMarquees.  The TT2 is amazing, and I can't wait to have it actually mounted in the CP, I am waiting until I get the CPO finalized before I tear it all apart to drill/mount that.  I only want to have to take the thing apart one last time.  The CPO will work perfectly, but that leads me to the. . .

Sadness. . .

The box that the CPO came in was practically perfect, no dents/dings/water damage.  The CPO was wrapped in a protective wrapping, and it was unscathed as well.  But as soon as I unwrapped it all, I instantly knew that something was wrong.  The CP was wavy and bumpy, and had some creases in it.  Almost like it was tightly wrapped and then exposed to extreme temperature conditions that causes it to expand and release unevenly.  There were various hairline creases, and those I could live with, but you can see the crease that practically tore the right end off in the pics below.  Bummer, I was hoping to get this all finished up this weekend, but oh well, I can wait another week or so if I need to.  At least other than the spinner, this thing is running 100%.

I have worked with Scott on all of my projects, and in some cases, a couple times for a project, and he has been great with replacements so far.  I have no doubts that we will get this back up and corrected in no time, and hopefully my next full post will be to show off the new CP with spinner.  

Then this bad boy is done, my girls love it, and can't wait for the CP art to be put on it.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 05:26:24 pm by Chicken McNobody »

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:53:32 am »
Hyper update:

Scott is sending me a new copy, he is a true testament to having pride in your work.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 03:39:02 pm »
Damn...

I am making progress on my upright, with my mind focused on focused on building a burnt orange upright driving cab next, then I see this thread. I really love your cab. I've never seen one of these in the flesh (or anything like it). I think the driving cab has to wait, I want one of these (or at least a home built clone)

Anyone point me in the direction of some dimensions for this cab? I LOVE it.

" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 12:04:10 am »
Thanks!

I don't know if there are any actually plans to speak of, but if you are looking for the basic idea, I would be happy to measure it out for you.

There are several designs of the mini or cabaret style, I like this one, because it feels very open on the top half.  I love my DK cab, but it tends to feel like it takes up more room than it actually does.  I moved the DK from the living room to the basement, and moved this into the living room.  And although the dimensions are smaller, it's not a ton of physical size difference, but it feels more open with the room.  The best part is that I have yet to hear one word of complaint from The Wife about this cabinet, but it was at least every other day with the DK one.  The DK is my baby for sure, but I'll gladly take this to play with my girls for now.  I hope to move this to the upstairs playroom/office sooner than later, but first I need to get an LCD TV mount, so I rid the room of the 27 inch CRT TV that takes up the whole corner in there.

Monoprice.com to the rescue!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 01:15:26 pm »
...but if you are looking for the basic idea, I would be happy to measure it out for you.

That would be terrific, thank you. If you could take a straight side on photo and scribble the dimensions, plus tell me the width of the cab, I will draw it up into a set of plans.

I really love everything about this cab. It would look perfect in the corner of my kitchen, just got to finish my clone of Lokesen's cab thats sitting in the lounge first   ;)
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:54 pm »
These are pretty spot on, but admittedly a bit of a quick job.  Sorry about the crappy markings, I was doing this on my laptop while the kids were watching Sleeping Beauty.  It's tough to do on a track pad, but I figured that this might be my only chance to get this done, soon at least.  If you need more measurements or clarification of any of the "details" I have listed, let me know.

The part with the curve on the side is the measurement of the straight part before the curve itself begins.  I figured since you were looking to build by design and not replicate, that a simple measurement such as that would suffice.  I also forgot to note that the depth is a slight bit over 24", I noted the distance to the little cut in part, that is about an inch of a cut in.

The last picture is to show how the edges come together, there is about ½" on the vertical edges, and an inch on the curved portion starting with the CP.

Hope this helps. . .

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:56 pm »
Thank you very much, you are a true gent.

I have a few days aways from home on business starting 4:50am tomorrow. With a few long boring evenings ahead of me, I'll use them to draw this up into a set of plans.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 03:22:11 pm »
Not a problem, let me know if there is anything missing or if more details are needed. 

I ordered the LCD mount for the playroom, I hope to have this thing up there within the next few weeks.  I have the perfect spot that is out of the way, has an outlet, and has plenty of room for playing with a small audience.  Plus since it is in our combo playroom/office/collection room, it will see more use, and fit in well with my lightsaber replica collection. 

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »
It's been a while since my last post.  We had a round robin of illness that kept running between The Wife, myself, and my 2 girls.  But it is basically done, just need a new plexi.  That will come in time, this one is not terrible, just could use replacing.

So here is the finished product with the new CPO art and spinner installed, the girls and I are very pleased. . .

Interstate90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2009, 01:49:00 pm
Re: Cabaret MAME Arcade Classics (99.9% done now)
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 10:38:42 pm »
Looks simple & clean, I like it.

kjeffery

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2016, 03:29:58 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:15 am »
what kind of plexi is that? did you tint it? what tint %?
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 02:18:58 am »
 :applaud:

This cab and Lokesen's 'project Arcade' are my 2 favourite cab's on this forum. Really nice job here, I love it.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Chicken McNobody

• Offline Offline
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 08:09:46 am »
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it very much. 

I'll post some pics with my girls playing it.  They love their new "toy" and that makes it all worth while to me, and it warms my heart. 

The plexi is 3/16" thick, and it came with the original cabinet, so I don't know the percentage of tinting, but it is pretty dark, maybe a little darker than I would want when I replace.  The problem is that I don't know where to find a replacement, so any help on a good source, please share.  I found one place that wanted only about $15 for the plexi, but $25 to ship it.  I would rather not spending that much if I don't have to. 

kjeffery

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2016, 03:29:58 pm
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 08:56:09 am »
Yeah think Im going the tinted plexi route because greylite 14 is exspensive. I was quoted at 80$+ for what I wanted and AI can get the smoked plexi for around 20$
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most!!

GreenChemist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2012, 05:31:05 pm
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »
I HAD to register on the forums for this.  I realize that this is an OLD thread.

I love this cabinet.  The profile, the footprint, everything.  I've built a full size (more or less) MK tribute cab before, but I needed something smaller for my break room at work, and didn't want to go the cocktail route due to the foot print.

I took your measurements, and threw them into SketchUp.  I added a 19" LCD (horizontal), and elongated the control panel to 7.5" "tall" to give a little more room for a 2 player, 6 button per player fighter layout.

I'll start a new thread with the build process.

Thanks for the inspiration!