Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Shmup! Arcade (Final Move 4-26-13)  (Read 126739 times)

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Sanwa Balltops Ordered..... 10-22)
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »
Is your motherboard sufficiently grounded?

I was thinking about that. I'll have to look and see. I may cut the side out of my old PC case and mount the motherboard right to it. then screw that down to my board, just to be sure. The PC end of things is actually the most foreign part of the whole project for me. When it gets to PC wiring and components I don't know too much about what goes where, etc.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Sanwa Balltops Ordered..... 10-22)
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2009, 05:53:06 pm »
Thanks to the amazing invention called the internets, I think I may have my static issue figured out. Apparently the holes on the Mobo with silver rings on them are for grounding to the case, but since I don't have the case attached, it's lacking those grounds. Now I just need to figure out a way to ground those. I think I'll just rip the side out of my old case and mount the mobo to that. then screw it to the wood and finally jump a wire from the metal casing to one of the screws attaching the power supply.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Marquee Ordered! 10-23)
« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2009, 01:19:28 am »
I ordered my marquee tonight, I went with Mame Marquees, as I had stated earlier. The dimensions of the marquee ended up being 8 x 26, mostly because of the 3/4" MDF on the top and bottom of the retainer area. I went all out for this too... Ultimate finish, precut plexi, the whole bit. I even remembered to enter the BYOAC in the discount area too! Here is the final Marquee design...  amazingly I never posted it in the thread and only in the artwork forum.

I can't wait to get this baby installed!!!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:10 am »
That Marquee is going to look great all lit up. Are you going to get the modded shafts for your balltops or just go with the unlit blue?  Either way the whole lineup of these bubble balltops look great!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2009, 08:35:37 am »
Nah, nothing else on the CP is lit up. So I'm just going to make up some replacement shafts for them once they get here. I've been eyeballing those ball tops ever since I showed them to you.  :lol

Gamester

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2009, 11:40:01 am »
Marquee art looks great Ryglore!!   :applaud:
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:21 am »
Marquee art looks great Ryglore!!   :applaud:

Thanks, I'm wondering if it's too much white. I may have to cut some extra paper to fit behind it to diffuse the light a bit more. But on the other hand the sample I printed on regular copy paper looks ok, so maybe not.  :cheers:

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:14 pm »
Marquee art looks great Ryglore!!   :applaud:

Thanks, I'm wondering if it's too much white. I may have to cut some extra paper to fit behind it to diffuse the light a bit more. But on the other hand the sample I printed on regular copy paper looks ok, so maybe not.  :cheers:

What I would do is print another sheet to put being the marquee. Make a copy of the marquee, delete everything that's not the white background, then reverse the whole thing (white where the logo is, black where the white background is).

That way, the lighted part will be the logo, the white will not be backlit (or at least a lot less). It should make the marquee pop a lot more I think.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:24:20 pm by Yvan256 »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2009, 12:43:54 pm »
Marquee art looks great Ryglore!!   :applaud:

Thanks, I'm wondering if it's too much white. I may have to cut some extra paper to fit behind it to diffuse the light a bit more. But on the other hand the sample I printed on regular copy paper looks ok, so maybe not.  :cheers:

What I would do is print another sheet to put being the marquee. Make a copy of the marquee, delete everything that's not the white background, then reverse the whole thing (white where the logo is, black where the white background is).

That way, the lighted part will be the logo, the white will not be backlit (or at least a lot less). It should make the marquee pop a lot more I think.

Ha nice! I was actually goign to do this a bit later and test it But now I can just print it off and check it out! Thanks!

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »
Bah, as I thought. The black seems to show through too much. Perhaps a couple pages with lighter grey in the white areas instead. I'll have to play with it.

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2009, 12:51:17 pm »
Maybe you could do the same thing but with an opaque white.  Like a paint that either will show no light or a very small amount.  Then you can get the same pop effect, and only see white vs. a muddy color.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
Bah, as I thought. The black seems to show through too much. Perhaps a couple pages with lighter grey in the white areas instead. I'll have to play with it.

That's probably because your first layer (colored one) is too thin. Print the black on a thicker paper and put the black side toward the light source, so that the black behind the white areas of your marquee won't show through. You'll have to print the black mask flipped horizontally, of course.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2009, 01:24:18 pm »
Maybe you could do the same thing but with an opaque white.  Like a paint that either will show no light or a very small amount.  Then you can get the same pop effect, and only see white vs. a muddy color.

That could be doable, but I don't want to attempt to tape off the borders of the marquee image.

That's probably because your first layer (colored one) is too thin. Print the black on a thicker paper and put the black side toward the light source, so that the black behind the white areas of your marquee won't show through. You'll have to print the black mask flipped horizontally, of course.

I'll have to look into that as well. But I'll hold off on doing any actual "work" on it until the marquee shows up and I can check out the intensity of the white.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:34:34 pm by Ryglore »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Final MaLa load up video 10-24)
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2009, 05:11:16 pm »
Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. I redesigned the load up video. I removed the music in the background and the flashing images. And shortened the whole thing to more of a "opening credits" type of feel with a special touch at the end. Check it out.

Hewskie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2018, 02:45:42 am
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »
looking good man! I like this one much better, the first one was way too busy for my liking.

keep up the good work

Hewskie

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2009, 08:31:54 pm »
I like the new video a lot Ryglore.  Would love hear some audio when the Shmup logo comes up, then when you do the TV turning off.

Maybe the audio of a bunch of shots being fired in the background could fade in, then out, then the sound of a tv turning off, like DICE does with their logo on all their game trailers.

Watch the first 20 seconds of this video, and you'll get a sense of what I'm talking about: 

Current Project:                                                       First Project:

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2009, 08:37:47 pm »
Very cool intro. I love the "opening credits" feel of it. Now you got me rethinking what I'm doing for an opening sequence  :angry:

;)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #297 on: October 24, 2009, 10:53:46 pm »
Thanks guys, I'm looking into these ideas right now.  :applaud:

Very cool intro. I love the "opening credits" feel of it. Now you got me rethinking what I'm doing for an opening sequence  :angry:

;)

Do you have it posted so I can check out what you have?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Final MaLa load up video w/ sound10-24)
« Reply #298 on: October 24, 2009, 11:46:19 pm »
How's something like this?

*note. I am uploading another version with no laser blasts for comparison.*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:53:00 pm by Ryglore »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Final MaLa load up video (now with sound) 10-24)
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2009, 12:08:31 am »
Or.... this

Personally, I like the second one better.

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2009, 12:52:35 am »
I kinda like the second one better too.  Not a fan of the laser blasts on the other one... kind of annoying.  :)

Not sure I like the particular TV sound you chose though.  Sounds too much like static and not enough like a TV turning off.  If you could steal the sound that was in the DICE video I posted above, or something similar to that, I think it would sound better.  Just my $0.02 though... take it for what it's worth.  The important thing is that YOU like it.  

My only other comment is that the quote at the front may need to be extended for 2-3 more seconds.  I try to read it as fast as I can and I only get about 2/3 of the way through it before it disappears.

Excellent work thus far!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 01:01:05 am by Gamester »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2009, 10:43:58 pm »
Thanks, I looked all over for a decent TV sound. Finally I decided to go with this one because the sound seemed to fit the flickering player one icon and the length was almost perfect.  :)

I'm a slower reader too, so I kept lengthening the quote more and more until I could reach the end before it faded out. I may add another second or two to it.  But I'm not sure how often people will actually see the load up, cause the cab might be left on for hours on end, and prolly would already be on when people do come over.  :dunno
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:46:52 am by Ryglore »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »
But I'm not sure how often people will actually see the load up, cause the cab might be left on for hours on end, and prolly would already be on when people do come over.  :dunno

Heh, well that's a good point. 

On this forum, we're all so homed in on every tiny detail it's hard to show anything around here without even the tiniest flaw being revealed.  However, any average Joe that sees our work is going to see it as a whole, and will probably have to pick their jaw up off the floor.  ;)

I think you've done a fine job, and honestly, even if you decide not to change the video anymore, it's all good.   :cheers:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Final CPO, Outline Painting Begins!) 10-25)
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2009, 11:12:27 pm »
Today was spent taping off all the lines for the black borders of the side art. I honestly took a couple hours to tape everything off, not to mention I had to run to the store midway because I ran out of 3/4" wide painters tape. And... I forgot to bring the camera with me today so I couldn't snap a picture of it after I was done taping and after I had applied the first coats of black.  :cry: Oh well.

But, once I got home, I loaded up Illustrator to double check everything on the CPO and made a few minor modifications to the design. Originally, I was going to remove the SHMUP logo from the CPO, but after hiding it, I decided it looks much better with the logo and the small bit off orange, since the whole thing is blue and white. After deciding to keep the logo, I deleted the two small lines that were behind it, that way it stands out a bit better. I also enlarged the logo and moved it down the little on the CP, while still keeping it centered.

Here is a comparison of the old vs. the new

Original "Final" Layout

Final, Final Layout.

Tomorrow I will be going back and putting another coat of black down, I think I may put 3 or 4 coats of black on the sides. Mostly so I know I have good coverage over the white background. Of course, I may only take 2 coats, but the control panel stand needed 3 coats, so that's my best bet.

All that remains is to print the CPO, finish the painting and install the marquee and this baby is done!  :)

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2023, 02:23:57 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2009, 12:05:37 am »
Nice job on the final layout for the CP. I like your final final design best as well. Just seems cleaner.

No, don't have my opening video sequence up yet. OND said he'd take a look at putting something together for me, what he's done so far is up, I think on my thread, but I'll have to look.

I did post an MP3 I'm thinking of using for the "startup, startup". IE, while the cab itself is booting.

I've been playing with an old MP3 player that I think I can wire into the cab powerswitch. When you turn the cab on, the MP3 will start playing even while the machine is going through it's post, bios screens, and all of windows initial load stuff. Takes about 45 seconds for all that, though i can probably shave it done somewhat, just haven't worked on that yet.

Then mala loads and the video would take off.

That Mp3 is on my thread too, if you want to take a gander. Lots of machinery thunks, clanks, gears grinding, then so old time parlour music to play out on.

Pretty funny.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2009, 12:09:56 am »
Nice, I think I may have caught the video, I'll have to search the thread for the MP3. That sounds pretty awesome actually.

For my vid, I wish there was a way to hide the Mala splash screen There is a way to hide the splash screen, so I could can put the MaLa logo later in the video, and have it go powered by: then flash the mala logo followed by the mame logo. So when it loads up the quote pops up first, then DigitalSomething.com -> MaLa -> Mame -> SHMUP -> flicker off.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 12:38:39 am by Ryglore »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Black Borders Finished!) 10-26)
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2009, 07:47:10 pm »
Well, it took less paint than I figured. The black borders are now finished and the side art is pretty much complete. Though I did have the same problems I had earlier with it running under the tape. Though, my dad assures me that it's just minor and once it's completely dry I'll be able to rub the lines out. Worst case, I'll just tape off the artwork and paint the whole side of the cab white again, since the edge of the black works like a dam and keeps the paint from rolling under the tape.

Behold! Artwork!

Some spots aren't that bad

Others are pretty unsightly

I'm hoping that I can clean up the edges without taping off the artwork. Because I would have to peel all of the T-molding off the sides if I were to repaint the sides. Of course if I have to I will, since (unfortunately) I am a perfectionist when it comes to my artwork and if it's not "just right" it will bother me forever...

Another thing that is being done tonight is the remounting of the PC components. I cut the metal backer that the motherboard was originally mounted to inside the PC case and have screwed it to the motherboard. Now I just have to rearrange components a little bit to accommodate the metal section and I will jump a ground wire to the power supply and hopefully that solves my static issue.

I am also uploading the completley final version of the SHMUP Intro. I added the Mala Logo to the "credits" and also added a bit of static to the "turning off" sequence. I'll add it in a reply once it's uploaded and ready.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:54:40 pm by Ryglore »

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (FINAL Intro) 10-26)
« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:11 pm »
And here it is, the Final and never to be modified ever again, intro video.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 10:10:19 pm by Ryglore »

Gamester

• Offline Offline
Video looks great!

As long as you don't change FE's you shouldn't have to worry about editing it again.  ;)

One trick I've heard to keep the paint from bleeding under the tape is to paint the edge of the tape with a thin coat of clear or the same color as the base color, let it dry, THEN paint your trim color.  The clear/base color seals the seam between the tape and the material, which prevents any of the newly applied color from bleeding.  Probably a little late now, but maybe it'll help you (or someone else) down the line...

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Video looks great!

As long as you don't change FE's you shouldn't have to worry about editing it again.  ;)

Ha! Thanks, I don't think I'll be changing frontends any time soon. I'm digging MaLa, plus with the forum and wiki, there is so much info on it, it's pretty easy to get assistance when needed!

One trick I've heard to keep the paint from bleeding under the tape is to paint the edge of the tape with a thin coat of clear or the same color as the base color, let it dry, THEN paint your trim color.  The clear/base color seals the seam between the tape and the material, which prevents any of the newly applied color from bleeding.  Probably a little late now, but maybe it'll help you (or someone else) down the line...

Yeah, I did something like that before, but it was on canvas and when I went to pull the tape, it pulled up the paint at the edge along with it. So I was a bit worried about trying it on this. Though, now I see it wouldn't have been a bad idea. House paint is a totally different animal than regular acrylic...  :dunno

brock.sampson

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2018, 10:11:41 pm
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Black Borders Finished! and the FINAL Intro) 10-26)
« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:23 pm »
I always got bleed through when using that blue tape on my rc bodies.  it seems like when the paint dries the tape tends to crinkle a bit allowing this bleed through.  I wonder if the purple kind would work any better?  It says low tack so I'm not so sure.
DOC! YOU HAVE A TABLE OVER THERE WITH A SIGN THAT SAYS, "LASER DEATH RAY BARGAIN BIN!"

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #311 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:50 pm »
I always got bleed through when using that blue tape on my rc bodies.  it seems like when the paint dries the tape tends to crinkle a bit allowing this bleed through.  I wonder if the purple kind would work any better?  It says low tack so I'm not so sure.

Not sure, I've not done any work using the purple tape. But I would think it might actually be worse with a lower tack tape, since it would want to pull up easier... dunno, might be worth some testing for future reference.

Chicken McNobody

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 01:01:06 pm
  • I poop too much. . .
« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41:07 pm »
I like the intro video, I never felt the need to do anything like that, but it's pretty fun to see.

The art looks great from the distance, and unfortunately not so hot up close.  When I do any kind of edging on the fly like that, I don't use tape, I have about a 12 inch long thin piece of metal, that I hold to the edge and do a vey light amount of paint to clean it up.  Then there is no tape, and as long as you hold it flat, there is very little risk of error.  When painting an entire room, I tape it up, but I use this method for tight and small areas.  Oh, and I hate painting with a passion, painting of any kind, even fun painting like this.

Still, it looks disco. . .

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:58 am »
When I do any kind of edging on the fly like that, I don't use tape, I have about a 12 inch long thin piece of metal, that I hold to the edge and do a vey light amount of paint to clean it up.  Then there is no tape, and as long as you hold it flat, there is very little risk of error. 

Oh cool, I'll have to look into that. I have a 26" metal ruler, maybe that'll work.

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: The Shmup! Arcade (Speaker Static Fixed! & Ready to Move! 10-27)
« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2009, 10:08:17 pm »
Tonight I reinstalled the PC into the cab. I was a little hesitant to start up the PC after I hooked everything up, I was worried "what if it didn't fix it". So I flicked the main power switch on... and pressed the PC power button.... nothing. What the? So I looked over everything and it was all hooked up properly.... And then I looked at the power supply and flicked it's power switch "On"...  :lol The PC loaded up, and where there used to be horrible static coming from the speakers, there was nothing. The intro video loaded, music started and Mala loaded! Everything is A-ok and back to normal. It would seem that mounting the Mobo on the metal backer and running wires from it to each of the other components fixed the static problem I was having! w00t!

The new intro and load up work very nicely, I found myself getting extremely excited while watching it. It's not overpowering and loud, nor annoying. Mission accomplished. Of course, I had to "test" all of the controls to ensure they worked properly. So I played some Gunbird 2, Strikers 1945 II and a little bit of Street Fighter Alpha 2.

Thursday is the big moving day. Unfortunately, for everyone involved, I live in the second story of an apartment building and the only way up is a flight of stairs. So a friend of mine, my cousin and myself will be hefting this thing up said stairs on a 2 wheel movers cart. The PC and CP will not be attached, but the Monitor will be... yay.

There are still a few things that need to be done yet.

The first are the custom joysticks. My order is in the mail and once I get the balltops, I'll be making new shafts out of 1/2" aluminum round bar. I'll lathe the bottom down to 10mm so the sleeves and actuators for the Happ Supers slide on and I'll leave the top 1/2" so that the shoulder of the shaft holds it in place, rather than the long black plastic tube. I'll then lathe the other end down and thread it to accept the balltop. Finally I'll polish the aluminum and I'll have some nice shiny joysticks!

Secondly, installing the marquee. My order is "processing" right now over at Mame Marquees. The marquee is the Ultimate finish with 2 pieces of precut plexi According to their site it takes up to a week to print, laminate and pack the marquee for shipping, then there is the shipping time. So I'm thinking that should arrive next week at the latest.

And finally, The Control Panel Overlay. I've got to make time to burn my file to CD and take it over to Kinkos for printing. I should be able to do that within the next couple of days.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 11:12:41 pm by Ryglore »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2009, 03:05:27 am »
...stairs, yikes! Good luck with the move, and remember lift with your legs, not with your back!!  ;)

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:25 am »
...stairs, yikes! Good luck with the move, and remember lift with your legs, not with your back!!  ;)

Well hopefully the cart will help with some of it.   :-\

Kman-Sweden

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2009, 11:02:36 am »
About the bleeding under tape....
I've been thaught to paint over the edge of the tape with the paint I used as the background color.... Get it?
This way the "bleed" will be background color over background color.. Then you paint your second layer color and it can't bleed in under the tape since it's painted over with the background color. I'm at work now so I can't paint you a picture *phun intended*...  ;D

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:59 am »
Good luck with the move Ryglore, she looks a beast to move, careful on those stairs!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

OverRide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2023, 08:06:52 pm
« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »
Good luck Ryglore. Tell your buddies if they do a good job that they get 1 free credit. After that its $0.25 a play. :)